Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Caulfired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

John Caulfired

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but surely worth a thread of it's own. John Caulfield mutually agreed out of a job.

After 5 years of success I'd have thought he'd built up enough credit to survive one third of a crap season, but it seems pretty grim so far this season, with 3 wins from 13. What do the resident Cork fans think?

In five years in charge his worst performance was finishing second to (arguably) the best LoI team of all time, you just wonder who's going to come in and do a better job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    John Caulfired??

Always preferred Long Ballfield myself.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    It may have been as much to do with his public moaning about his budget being cut etc as the on the field performance.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Greatest ever manager, incredibly consistent league performances. Never lost a cup tie in 90 minutes as far as I remember, only lost to Bohs after a replay in 2014.

Unfortunately, this year things have fallen apart. Its really sad to see it end this way but a change was needed. Its not just the results, we didnt look like we were going to turn it round, unable to do simple things well. Only 12 goals this season through 14 games and 4 of those came in a crazy game in Donegal in which Harps also scored 3. Unable to beat Harps at home who might be the worst LOI Premier team since Galway in 2011. They actually were probably the better team on Monday and were not afraid to press and challenge us. They hadn't won at the Cross in a couple of decades. When you get to that stage something has to be done.
    I'm worried about what comes next because you can never know how a manager will fit in with a team. I have no great love for Kenny but his achievements speak for themselves, and he failed at Rovers. We could bring in someone experienced and it might not work, or we could go with someone inexperienced and it could be an inspired appointment, or vice versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    It may have been as much to do with his public moaning about his budget being cut etc as the on the field performance.
    I doubt it. We will have to pay him now and pay his replacement. Our budget is smaller this year and probably needs to be cut further based on crowds so far, this decision will have financial implications and our membership are very financially conservative given our clubs history.

But feel free to believe what you want.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I don’t care enough to believe anything too strongly to be honest. It was just idle speculation.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    If a reminder is needed at how fickle supporters are and how vicious clubs are, the sacking of John Caulfield is a perfect reminder.

Caulfield took over a club in the graveyard and brought them unprecedented success in their short history.

A poor run of games in little over quarter of the current season, fans turn on him, personally abuse him, and then his club sacks him.

Who would be a manager.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    The results this season are obviously the core issue, but the performances have hardly instilled any significant confidence that the current management could change it - meanwhile crowds tumble and the finances suffer. But his continual comments about budget cuts and the direction taken by the board could hardly have helped his relationship with the decision makers

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Its not just a quarter of a season to be fair on the current board. We have 6 wins in the last 22 games - 3 of which were dead rubbers at the end of last season. I would have given him more time and will always be a massive fan but there have been problems on the field for nearly a year and recruitment since the double winning season has not been up to scratch either. It is harsh on him I think but a club with our spending capabilities shouldn't be in a relegation battle.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Greatest ever manager, incredibly consistent league performances. Never lost a cup tie in 90 minutes as far as I remember, only lost to Bohs after a replay in 2014.
    I presume that you mean greatest ever manager of Cork City? If so, I totally agree

His record is remarkable,, although your memory is letting you down about the cup record

Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I'm worried about what comes next because you can never know how a manager will fit in with a team. I have no great love for Kenny but his achievements speak for themselves, and he failed at Rovers. We could bring in someone experienced and it might not work, or we could go with someone inexperienced and it could be an inspired appointment, or vice versa.
    I understand your point about fear of the unknown, although it is hard to envisage the situation getting worse than it is at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    1 league title and 2 FAI cups never finished outside the top 2 in his 5 seasons probably unfortunate that he came up against one of the best sides we've ever seen in our league,the league should probably thank Caulfield and Cork that we don't have a complete monopoly from Oriel Park at the minute.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Given the timing and the recent news stories surrounding their big Munster rivals, Limerick, leads me to conclude that Cork are about to poach the LoI's greatest ever manager, Sean Connor, right from under their noses.
    Mon the Town!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Roddy Collins has some unfinished business on Leeside too. He's never had a team relegated you know

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    We inexplicably sacked Ian Barraclough miss season this ending our most successful era and haven't even aspired to mediocrity since lucky to have stayed up since TBH.

Karma is a bitch
    dere's no escapin it
    Karma is a bitch
    y'u bettah face up to it

21. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

A poor run of games in little over quarter of the current season, fans turn on him, personally abuse him, and then his club sacks him.

Who would be a manager.
    Ah it's a lot longer than a quarter of a season in fairness. Cork have been poor - by their standards - since June last year anyway; almost a full year. Four pretty poor performances in Europe followed by mid-table league form for the next three months. The collapse the previous season once Maguire left was startling too.

It's a tough one for the Cork board. There was a strong case things were going stale by the end of last season, but it would have a big call to change manager over the winter. I don't think the board had any real choice but to act now.

23. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Has Stuart Ashton got the proper credentials ? Wasn't he very popular in the under age system..he'd be very aware of what's coming through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    So who are the serious candidates for the job?
    I'm sure it'll get interest from the UK aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    The idea that this is a kneejerk decision based on the last 8 games is nonsense.

John Caulfield is a legend, that's not up for debate.

But we have been declining for 18 months. Since last July, our league form has been appalling, losing far more than we've won. It's been almost a year of very poor form. This decision wasn't rushed into.

The hope was the off season would give a chance to change it up and turn it around, but it's gone the other way. And the key part in the decision is that we don't look to have the capacity to turn it around.

Lots of people with very little knowledge making claims of it being rash and unfair. But they haven't been watching the last year. Crowds have plummeted, income is significantly dropped and if we miss out on Europe that's a huge hole in next year's budget. That leads to further cuts and the cycle continues.

Change was needed. Its unfortunate it happened as it did, as JC will probably be our most successful manager for a long time to come.

He brought us from mid table to consistent top 3. What he achieved was incredible.

But nothing lasts forever in football, and it's time for a change. Huge risk, and plenty of nerves about it, but still needed.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Would Cork have the wherewithal to tempt Keith Long to come down there?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast