Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Caulfired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Colin T O'Brien must be a serious consideration,Cork legend,great experience with young players,a O'Brien/Healy/Bennett ticket sounds an attractive one to me.

I suppose it will depend on what the club can offer in terms of finance to improve the squad and whether the job will enable him to fufil his career ambitions....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Colin T O'Brien must be a serious consideration,Cork legend,great experience with young players,a O'Brien/Healy/Bennett ticket sounds an attractive one to me.

I suppose it will depend on what the club can offer in terms of finance to improve the squad and whether the job will enable him to fufil his career ambitions....
    He is my first pick. I'm not privy to Board discussions, but he must be on their radar.

However, would it be a wise career move for him moving out of a role that he is making a name for himself in, to jump to the rollercoaster of the LOI? It's pot luck really.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    What would the view on Cotter be for Cork fans, he seemed very behind the scenes, when he worked with JC?
    Its fine for the moment in an interim capacity - big opportunity for him if he can turn things around. Has won 3 x FAI intermediate cup and 2 x Munster Senior Leagues witch is almost identical to Caulfield's credentials when he took over. Not convinced by him but I wasn't convinced by Caulfield either when that appointment was made and it worked out ok! Its hard to know. Need to steady the ship first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Cotter would need to win games, and probably do so in a different style to win a significant portion of fans over. If the football looks similar to how it has done in recent years (even when winning) I suspect many would think hes too similar to Caulfield. From speaking to people who saw his Avondale team regularlyand who know players who played under both JCs at Avondale they are apparently very different managers so we will have to wait and see.

Ashton had a mixed bag of results in his short period in charge in 2013 but we played intense attacking football and people loved it so much that his name still comes up today so if Cotter can get us playing attacking football he'd probably win fans over quickly.

He is on the Pro License course so I think we could rustle up someone with the badge if needed to get him to the end of that.

The most common names being brought up by City fans so far are Colin T, Healy, Fenn and a few shouts for Collie O'Neill and Keith Long. That means nothing of course, we have no idea what the BoM are thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    If a reminder is needed at how fickle supporters are and how vicious clubs are, the sacking of John Caulfield is a perfect reminder.

Caulfield took over a club in the graveyard and brought them unprecedented success in their short history.

A poor run of games in little over quarter of the current season, fans turn on him, personally abuse him, and then his club sacks him.

Who would be a manager.
    That post is full of cr@p to be honest.

Firstly, Caulfield did not take over a club in the graveyard, Tommy Dunne got City promoted to premier before that.

Calling City supporters fickle/vicious etc is also bull. This decision is not based on this season only. In reality, bar a good first half to 2018, we have been muck since Sean Maguire left.

My own report card:
    2014 - With little expectation the team came within 90 mins of winning the league. An incredible achievement. Conservative right back selection and approach to the final game had City fans thinking, what if.... but people understood the conservative tactics given the strength of the squad.

2015 - with expectations risen from the previous season, fans were disappointed that we were so far behind Dundalk in the end. The Reykjavik drew enormous criticism and some called for his head as early as then. Having said that, another 2nd place and a cup final (albeit a boring match) had fans largely satisfied.

2016 - Caulfield's best ever recruitment season. Bolger, Browne, Beattie, Dooley, Maguire. Expectations were high but fans were delighted with Caulfield's signings. Finishing second and playing conservatively in many matches had fans wondering if we would ever win under Caulfield. A brilliant run in Europe and winning the cup being the keeps the critics quiet.

2017 Nothing to be said. Amazing achievement but worrying form post Maguire.

2018 Good start but poor 2nd half the the season.

2019 we know.

Caulfield has always had critics. To call this a fickle decision is simply not true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Doubt it. Doesn't he had a good day job? And he's recently signed a 3 year deal.
    I could have sworn I read preseason that he had gone full time. Maybe I’m mistaken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I could have sworn I read preseason that he had gone full time. Maybe I’m mistaken.
    I think he said he would like to go full time at some future point.Both Long and Croly penned 3 year contracts so hands off !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    That post is full of cr@p to be honest.

Firstly, Caulfield did not take over a club in the graveyard, Tommy Dunne got City promoted to premier before that.

Calling City supporters fickle/vicious etc is also bull. This decision is not based on this season only. In reality, bar a good first half to 2018, we have been muck since Sean Maguire left.

My own report card:
    2014 - With little expectation the team came within 90 mins of winning the league. An incredible achievement. Conservative right back selection and approach to the final game had City fans thinking, what if.... but people understood the conservative tactics given the strength of the squad.

2015 - with expectations risen from the previous season, fans were disappointed that we were so far behind Dundalk in the end. The Reykjavik drew enormous criticism and some called for his head as early as then. Having said that, another 2nd place and a cup final (albeit a boring match) had fans largely satisfied.

2016 - Caulfield's best ever recruitment season. Bolger, Browne, Beattie, Dooley, Maguire. Expectations were high but fans were delighted with Caulfield's signings. Finishing second and playing conservatively in many matches had fans wondering if we would ever win under Caulfield. A brilliant run in Europe and winning the cup being the keeps the critics quiet.

2017 Nothing to be said. Amazing achievement but worrying form post Maguire.

2018 Good start but poor 2nd half the the season.

2019 we know.

Caulfield has always had critics. To call this a fickle decision is simply not true.
    I'd forgotten about the Reykjavik away tie. That was particularly awful. Perhaps that was the first signs of things to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    I'd forgotten about the Reykjavik away tie. That was particularly awful. Perhaps that was the first signs of things to come.
    Yep a sign of things to come. A sign of winning against Linfield and Hacken and being a post away from taking the lead away against Genk the year they went on to reach the quarter final of the Europa League the following year.
    A sign of winning the cup in 2016. A sign of winning 6-2 on aggregate against Levadia Tallinn in 2017, a sign of going unbeaten with 20 wins from our first 21 games in our double winning 2017 season. A sign of reaching four straight cup finals from 2015-2018 and finishing in the top two of the league for five straight years.
    This year has been awful and Caulfield had to go if he couldn't find a way to turn things around which it didn't look like he did but that doesn't invalidate the achievements he had in his time as manager.
    Fans of other clubs whinge about our style of play under him but just be greatful he took us to the heights he did or it would have been 5 years of Dundalk dominance with no one remotely close in league or cup

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    theres a lot of talk of Alan Reynolds taking over the Cork City job and considering his brief spell with Cork assisting JC dont be surprised if he jumps ship from Waterford and go to Cork!! AR must surely be ****ed off with LP and the FAI for his european dreams not being fulfilled!!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Fans of other clubs whinge about our style of play under him but just be greatful he took us to the heights he did or it would have been 5 years of Dundalk dominance with no one remotely close in league or cup
    CCFC fans had plenty to say about our style too. He achieved great things but there were low points too. I find all this "our most successful ever manager" stuff to be a bit much too. He won one more major trophy than Rico but it makes him out to be Alex Ferguson.

He did a good job on the whole, but the style was always ignored when scraping 1-0 away wins. When you are not doing that, it's quite painful. That's not to say we had some nights where we played some very good football too, but let's get a bit of perspective here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    theres a lot of talk of Alan Reynolds taking over the Cork City job and considering his brief spell with Cork assisting JC dont be surprised if he jumps ship from Waterford and go to Cork!! AR must surely be ****ed off with LP and the FAI for his european dreams not being fulfilled!!
    Stop deflecting. You know it's Fenn we are after.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Yep a sign of things to come. A sign of winning against Linfield and Hacken and being a post away from taking the lead away against Genk the year they went on to reach the quarter final of the Europa League the following year.
    A sign of winning the cup in 2016. A sign of winning 6-2 on aggregate against Levadia Tallinn in 2017, a sign of going unbeaten with 20 wins from our first 21 games in our double winning 2017 season. A sign of reaching four straight cup finals from 2015-2018 and finishing in the top two of the league for five straight years.
    This year has been awful and Caulfield had to go if he couldn't find a way to turn things around which it didn't look like he did but that doesn't invalidate the achievements he had in his time as manager.
    All very valid points. The period around the time they played Genk was the last time I personally saw them play great football however. Records have a way of glossing over performances. In one way, fair play to JC when in some of those cup finals, which were poor spectacles, forced Dundalk to play Cork's way and they couldn't overcome it. Then there's the Maguire factor. Fair play to Caulfield, nurtured him, brought him along. But his individual significance was out of this world.wins the cup in the last minute, scores a hattrick in the Levadia home game (a game Cork were 2-1 down in at one point) and got one vs Dundalk for example. going 20 out of 21 happened largely because he was one of the best LOI players for decades, spending a year or so on absolute fire. He couldn't miss.True, it would have been a Shaktar Donetsk/BATE type dominance without Cork, but the lack of quality and title challengers below Cork and Dundalk was evident the last few years also. Seems to be changing this year. I wish Caulfield the best, and the record can't be denied, it was just time to go, and he must have known that himself for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    All very valid points. The period around the time they played Genk was the last time I personally saw them play great football however. Records have a way of glossing over performances. In one way, fair play to JC when in some of those cup finals, which were poor spectacles, forced Dundalk to play Cork's way and they couldn't overcome it. Then there's the Maguire factor. Fair play to Caulfield, nurtured him, brought him along. But his individual significance was out of this world.wins the cup in the last minute, scores a hattrick in the Levadia home game (a game Cork were 2-1 down in at one point) and got one vs Dundalk for example. going 20 out of 21 happened largely because he was one of the best LOI players for decades, spending a year or so on absolute fire. He couldn't miss.True, it would have been a Shaktar Donetsk/BATE type dominance without Cork, but the lack of quality and title challengers below Cork and Dundalk was evident the last few years also. Seems to be changing this year. I wish Caulfield the best, and the record can't be denied, it was just time to go, and he must have known that himself for a while.
    Some good football played in early 2017 too, but yeah, I'd largely agree with that post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    JC gets no credit for signing and developing Maguire and he is blamed for not replacing Maguire. Which is it? Did he identify a potential super star and turn him into the best LOI player in a decade or more or did he get lucky. If he got lucky then you can't blame him for City not being as good after Maguire left

As for sullanes comments. He was always a miserable ******* who never gave caulfield credit for any of his achievements so I have nothing to say to you. I've had the best five years of my football supporting life. I clearly enjoyed it more than you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

As for sullanes comments. He was always a miserable ******* who never gave caulfield credit for any of his achievements so I have nothing to say to you. I've had the best five years of my football supporting life. I clearly enjoyed it more than you.
    Meow. Saucer of milk El-P? Attack the post not the poster.

And I do give Caulfield credit for assembling a very good squad in 2016/2017. Something he failed to do for 2018/2019 despite a larger budget in 2018. If you are going to give praise for 2016/2017 then he has to accept criticism for 2018/2019.

And I will never apologise for demanding that the team I support play a better brand of football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Also, when your team loses 1-0 one week, and wins 1-0 the next week playing in the exact same manner, then it was hypocritical of city fans to laud the winning performance while being scathing of the losing performance. You might call it miserable. I call it being consistent.

And I did enjoy a lot of the Caulfield era. Sean Maguires brilliance, Steven Beatties tenacity and passion, Greg Bolger, 2017 McCormack was immense, Stephen Dooleys magic feet, peak Kevin O'Connor in 2016 was good, Shep when playing with Maguire used to score goals. I enjoyed a lot of that. But thwre was a lot of poor approaches to games too.

Watching a drab home draw at home to Pats at the end of 2018 was the end of Caulfield for me. Watching Damien Delaney give the Pats right back a headache by launching ball after ball at him was the pits.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Well that Cork team last night quacked and waddled like a Caulfield team and were cheered off by the Cork fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Team cheered off for winning first game in 9,imagine that.

Anyone who thought our style of football was going to change after 1 training session is detached from reality.

Loving the Bohs whinging. Created nothing, no shots on target.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    What whinging? Cork are just a horrible team to watch, on par with Finn Harps.
    Deservedly 14 points behind us

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast