Page 7 of 87 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    The FAI gave assurances that Waterford should be eligible for Europe and there was no indication there would be a problem till about 10 days ago so they should compensate Waterford for the loss of the UEFA money. The club were aware of the 3 year rule but were told they should be exempt from it. That was clearly wrong and Waterford are paying the price for it.
    If there is a court case about this I'm sure we will find out more about what happened.
    Last time I checked it was UEFA who approve eligibility for European Competitions and not the FAI, but hey lets deflect the blame for all this away from this unfortunate multi millionaire businessman that already owns a professional EFL club who both he and his expensive UK legal team were all too ignorant to conduct due diligence (a quick google search) on UEFA European Club Licensing two and half years ago when he formed a new professional football club entity that would have saved all of this unfortunate hassle
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Here is a quote from February from Fran Gavin printed in this week's Waterford Today.'We don't see any issues that would prohibit them from getting a licence'.
    If something changed in the meantime such as finding the club did not clear all debts from the previous regime that should be made public.
    Fran Gavin is hardly going to come out and say "Waterford should be grand - I know they're not eligible but we're going to find a fudge around that, don't worry"

What "changed in the meantime" appears to have been that the person who was fudging things got caught spending money on stuff he really shouldn't have been and got kicked out of office, so was unable to fudge things any more.

All the visible facts tie in with this idea that Waterford weren't eligible but Delaney told Power he would bend the rules, and now that he's gone, the rules can't be bent. It's really unfortunate for Waterford fans - but surely there has to be some acknowledgement of this fact, and of what it implies?

My point is it should never have got to this stage less than 2 months before the draw.
    I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    It should never have been anything other than knowing that Waterford would be denied a licence for 3 years so never been an issue never mind new news 2 months befor the draw. I can understand the ire with the FAI but they were going to cheat on Waterford's and Lee Powers behalf but were stopped. Power is bound to have enquired with the FAI on criteria for Europe, his case would be to admit that he was told the FAI would break the rules somehow and get them in. The FAI could easily have suggested that the right thing be done and clear any legacy debt of Waterford United or Euopean licence would be an issue. This would also all seem to me that Waterford United no longer exist in any form. Waterford FC is a phoenix club starting from scratch. Power nearly fooled people in the 'simple name change' stunt. Im sure the old clubs roll of honour can be purchased from someone down the line...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Lovers of Bert Kassies (and if you're not a lover of Bert what's wrong with you?) will be pleased to see he's got a 2019-20 Europa League seeding page up and running as we move towards knowing all the qualifiers. You already have Bert's page bookmarked of course, but here's the link

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    This was coming,right?
    NIFL set to lose one of three Europa League places in 2020/21

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48542126

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yep; they're in the bottom 4 leagues I think.

That'll be cyclical to an extent - the lowest leagues will gain extra points by virtue of having an extra qualifying round, but now it's the North who should gain extra points as a result and lift back up again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Wow, didn't realise they'd dropped below Faroes and Gibraltar! (as well as Wales) That'll be for 2020-21. It's all change after that anyway, with Europa League 2 coming in.

I've said it before, but whenever you think the League of Ireland is a hopeless, bankrupt, shambolic basket case, remember things could be a lot worse. It could by the Irish League.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    kind of makes you question the value of a 32 county league all right.
    What would they be bringing to the party

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Much better community spirit in the IL from what I've seen. Given their population, their crowds are better than here, especially away crowds. They don't give a damn about Europe for whatever reason, which costs them. And of course, the preliminary rounds now guarantee some churn at the bottom, so they're fourth bottom, not fourth worst.

I don't think we can look down on them entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Most IL clubs do not take europe seriously and this is what you get as a result losing one spot, they still have 3 spots, which is very good to be fair.

It would appear very few clubs seem to have an appetite to change things and progress from what I have seen, and I've been to a fair few games as its not far from me. I don't think the standard is very good, a lot of players look unfit, and almost all are happy with the current part time set up, 3pm on a Saturday suits them perfectly as most have jobs, not too much ambition really.

Derry City still have the biggest average crowd in all of NI with just under 3k,(on this years figs), just have a look at BBC NI when Institute are playing in the same ground on Saturday's and you'll see the difference, almost non league stuff.

The LOI is far from perfect, but its a big step up from most IL teams, one thing they have going for though is the grounds, a lot up there are decent to be fair, even with the horrible high fencing. The stands that Crusaders have behind both goals is perfect for this level, as is Clifftonville, two good examples.
    Last edited by oriel; 08/06/2019 at 2:22 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Most IL clubs do not take europe seriously and this is what you get as a result losing one spot, they still have 3 spots, which is very good to be fair.

It would appear very few clubs seem to have an appetite to change things and progress from what I have seen, and I've been to a fair few games as its not far from me. I don't think the standard is very good, a lot of players look unfit, and almost all are happy with the current part time set up, 3pm on a Saturday suits them perfectly as most have jobs, not too much ambition really.

Derry City still have the biggest average crowd in all of NI with just under 3k,(on this years figs), just have a look at BBC NI when Institute are playing in the same ground on Saturday's and you'll see the difference, almost non league stuff.

The LOI is far from perfect, but its a big step up from most IL teams, one thing they have going for though is the grounds, a lot up there are decent to be fair, even with the horrible high fencing. The stands that Crusaders have behind both goals is perfect for this level, as is Clifftonville, two good examples.
    and they are movable, if they get their new ground development and complex going they can take these new stand with them.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Wales v N Ireland in qualifying round of Europa League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Given their population, their crowds are better than here, especially away crowds. They don't give a damn about Europe for whatever reason, which costs them.
    Not too far to travel for away games helps.
    As for Europe, God forbid if you mess with July for the majority here. Everywhere apart from Derry, there is a July fortnight, expect all work productivity, except policing and fire services to ground to a halt. Most of the players who work are likely to have this time off and their other halves and kids need a holiday!
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Bohs Under 19's have qualified again for Champions league qualification round.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Bohs Under 19's have qualified again for Champions league qualification round.
    Brilliant achievement. I hope they do really well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Prelim draw made featuring our northern friends.

Progrès (LUX) v Cardiff MU (WAL)
    La Fiorita (SMR) v Engordany (AND)
    Sant Julià (AND) v Europa (GIB)
    Ballymena United (NIR) v NSÍ (FRO)
    Prishtina (KOS) v St Joseph's (GIB)
    Tre Fiori (SMR) v KÍ Klaksvík (FRO)
    Barry Town (WAL) v Cliftonville (NIR)

Crusaders are in the First qualifying round.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    A team of students off to Luxembourg again.

Progres will be annoyed to be in the preliminary round given they beat Rangers two years ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Assuming the draw is semi-regionalised the Irish non-seeds Rovers and Pats could be looking at some of these:
    Poland (Legia, Cracovia), Sweden (Malmo, Norrkoping), Norway (Molde, Brann, Haugesund), Belarus? (Dinamo, Shakhtyor, Vitebsk), Brondby, Lithuania (Zalgiris, Riteriai), Scotland (Aberdeen, Rangers, Killie), Crusaders, Latvia (Ventspils) Iceland (Stjarnan), Luxembourg? (Fola), Estonia (Levadia).
    Plenty of tough ones there, but you’d fancy Crusaders, anyone from the Baltics or Fola Esch,

Cork will be seeded, so some possible Northern opponents:
    Preliminary round winners (inc Cliftonville, Ballymena, Barry, Cardiff Met), Faroes (B36), Connah's Quay, Estonia (Flora, Trans Narva), Latvia (Liepaja, RFS Riga), Lithuania (Stumbras), Iceland(KR / Breidablik ), Finland (KuPS, RoPS, Inter Turku)
    I know Cork aren’t in great form but not much to fear there. Avoid Finland preferably.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Assuming the draw is semi-regionalised the Irish non-seeds Rovers and Pats could be looking at some of these:
    Poland (Legia, Cracovia), Sweden (Malmo, Norrkoping), Norway (Molde, Brann, Haugesund), Belarus? (Dinamo, Shakhtyor, Vitebsk), Brondby, Lithuania (Zalgiris, Riteriai), Scotland (Aberdeen, Rangers, Killie), Crusaders, Latvia (Ventspils) Iceland (Stjarnan), Luxembourg? (Fola), Estonia (Levadia).
    Plenty of tough ones there, but you’d fancy Crusaders, anyone from the Baltics or Fola Esch,

Cork will be seeded, so some possible Northern opponents:
    Preliminary round winners (inc Cliftonville, Ballymena, Barry, Cardiff Met), Faroes (B36), Connah's Quay, Estonia (Flora, Trans Narva), Latvia (Liepaja, RFS Riga), Lithuania (Stumbras), Iceland(KR / Breidablik ), Finland (KuPS, RoPS, Inter Turku)
    I know Cork aren’t in great form but not much to fear there. Avoid Finland preferably.
    Imagine Rovers get Rangers, cant see that ending well at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    If we did get Rangers i hope we stay in Tallaght for it.
    Would be tempting to go to the Aviva so we could fill it with celtic supporters and get a few bob (you'd have to think it would get a good crowd) but i'd fancy us to beat them in Tallaght given they will be in pre season.

Page 7 of 87 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast