Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,587 Posts
    I think a slight touch of realism is needed here.

Rovers beating Brann is excellent.

Dundalk apparently controlling large parts of their game but ultimately unable to score over 210 minutes - against ten men for a small part of that - is a bit worrying. They weren't particularly impressive in the bits of the games I caught. Had they lost on penalties, would the overall view still be "very good"? Not sure. But the overall performance would have been the same.

Cork improved at least, but an apparently shambolic first leg has led to a first ever elimination by a Luxembourg side. Not entirely unexpected, but hardly very good.

Pats maybe exceeded expectations in only losing 4-1 overall. As with Cork, the second leg was better than the First, but 4-1 is a long way off previous LoI v Sweden ties.

Not meant as a dig at Cork or Pats of course; even their own fans were pessimistic. But one very good result doesn't really make a very good night I think.

In terms of rankings, we're back up to 38th, which is where we started. We've passed out Moldova and have been passed out by Latvia. There's still five leagues within 0.500 of us, so we could drop yet. Or we could catch the couple of leagues 0.500 above us yet.

3-year total still has us 48th, so Dundalk and Cork's run in 2016 is still holding us up a lot.

I think last night was no more than an enjoyably average one tbh
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 19/07/2019 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    545 Posts
    There is nothing wrong with realism but I don't think anyone is getting carried away. Dundalk fans are aware that they were the seeded side and that they failed to score. I'm sure Rovers are also being realistic regarding the positive and negative aspects of their performances.

However, the fact remains that we have two sides, with the potential to improve, into the next rounds of their competitions.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think last night was no more than an enjoyably average one tbh
    Obviously haven't got to watch the Cork or Pats games yet (any links would be much appreciated) but what was so enjoyable about the Rovers game was the way in which it was won and the fact the lads showed a bit of balls when they went behind but the football at times was simply stunning, some of the situations they can get out of playing just quick short passing when everyone around me is screaming to boot it justifys the heart attacks they give me.

I see Owen cowzer has somehow managed to give Pico a 6 for his performance? Must have been watching a different game to me, some of the other ratings he gave were bizarre too.

Interestingly there's a player that played for Partizan against Rovers playing for this Cypriot team, Marzovic, at least I'm 99% sure it's him. Hopefully that's a good omen.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Excellent result for Rovers. They should have won the first leg. In saying that they had a bit of luck for the first goal tonight which turned the tie back in their favour but fair play coming from behind. Well done 👏
    There's a longer replay on the Rovers Instagram. Absolutely nothing lucky about the goal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    However, the fact remains that we have two sides, with the potential to improve, into the next rounds of their competitions.
    Absolutely. But I don't think that should be the target for a "very good" night in Europe is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Interestingly there's a player that played for Partizan against Rovers playing for this Cypriot team, Marzovic, at least I'm 99% sure it's him. Hopefully that's a good omen.
    soccerway.com is your friend for stuff like this.

Rovers v Partizan here; click into the player and he's at Apollon alright. Small world.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Absolutely. But I don't think that should be the target for a "very good" night in Europe is all.
    Calling it a "very good" night in Europe is probably a bit over the top, although it's sometimes fine margins between a "decent" night and a "very good" night. E.g. if Kevin O'Connor had converted that injury time free kick to make it 3-1 in Luxemburg and send City through, that might have been that fine margin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    590 Posts

Dundalk apparently controlling large parts of their game but ultimately unable to score over 210 minutes - against ten men for a small part of that - is a bit worrying. They weren't particularly impressive in the bits of the games I caught. Had they lost on penalties, would the overall view still be "very good"? Not sure. But the overall performance would have been the same.
    A bit worrying?

I'd certainly preferred if they had scored a goal or two over the two legs, but it is encouraging to have kept clean sheets and performed solidly from a defensive perspective. Going through on penos versus a single goal win on aggregate hardly changes the outlook much for the next leg.

Progression to the next room was the always aim.

Job done. Doubters stand aside. Next please.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Congratulations to Dundalk and Rovers - absolutely magnificent results - ye are an absolute credit to the league and ye did us all proud!

That Latvian side were worth 6.5 million. Dundalk about a mill(right or wrong).......the Brann team Rovers just beat over 2 legs were worth 10 mill!

The Latvians could afford to buy a Brazilian and a few other lads in the run up to this spending more than a million to try and squeeze through against Dundalk.
    It was always a 50:50 game. Dundalk missed some good chances but can be proud of the way they played over the 2 legs and just like the game against the Icelandic Champions in the end it was enough.
    Felt Dundalk missed their speedy winger a lot in the second leg where there was more space to do damage. Hopefully Qarabag will only look at the 2nd leg and wont know about him....secret weapon ahoy!!

Qarabag are indeed a different class of beast BUT.............really stretching for crumbs of optimism here so...... have a look at the actual teams they beat en route to the champions league group stages a few years back....the only strong team they beat was in the play-off round against FCCopenhagen who they are very very familiar with having met more often than anyone else....the rest are all teams that on our day, our champions would be able to give a good game to. They did pull off 2 draws against Athletico Madrid in the group stages.....that's frightening alright......from the seeding they got from that run they had favourable opposition draws so used that to regularly make it to EL group stages.

The Azeri league does not start til August so they are just playing European games and friendlies right now and next 2 weeks. It consists of 8 teams about 5 of them have grounds less 1400 - 5,000 capacity with a few with Tallaght sized ones too & access to bigger 30000+ stadium for later European games just like we`d use d`aviva. They do not have 30000 at every home game. Their league is sponsored by TOPAZ.

Their squad has a lot of Azeri internationals....its not just an international 11 bought by Petrochemical millions......For Dundalk to pull off even a draw or score draw would be incredibly tough but not impossible...

Apollon Limassol have a lot a Argentinian and Spanish lads playing for them with hardly a Cypriot in sight......there is more than a whiff of Tevez/Macherano-Iranian-3rd-party-agent-to-West-Ham-then-onwards-lark if you take a look at how they operate...

One of their directors sits on the UEFA exec board so this activity seems to go under the radar for now.......for Rovers to get anything out there would be magnificent

Here`s hoping!
    Last edited by DeBluePhoenix; 19/07/2019 at 1:37 PM.
    blue star rise from ashes like a bird o`flame our glory days are comming again

10. Thanks From:

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243