Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 32 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Then I think of Git Forresters 3 year deal and.......
    Ouch !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    And ? he will come good he just has to get his head together. He hasn't suddenly become a bad player overnight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I would hope for the players sake he can turn things around, but its not looking good for Forrester, not only hasn't he played well since he came back, he probably hasn't played well for over a year now.

I think the 3 year contract was generous in the circumstances, plus I don't think either Dundalk or Rovers were too interested, possibly only inquired, Pats could have been his only offer?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I would hope for the players sake he can turn things around, but its not looking good for Forrester, not only hasn't he played well since he came back, he probably hasn't played well for over a year now.

I think the 3 year contract was generous in the circumstances, plus I don't think either Dundalk or Rovers were too interested, possibly only inquired, Pats could have been his only offer?
    Id say the three year deal was in part seen as an investment. I’d say the theory was he comes home gets his game together an offers get made in year two and we are all happy, just not panning out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Bohs spoke to him (he was a Bohs fan) Dundalk spoke to him and I think shams made a tentative enquiry. Pats offer was way in excess of every other offer put to him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    That's the risk you take but at least there's some consistency. Would you prefer to finish 3rd one year and 5th the next or 4th twice is basically the question. Stability can be to an extent a bit more boring than stuff like Derrys rise and Corks fall this year but in terms of player and team development its far more beneficial. Yes you might end up with a player on a long term deal that doesn't work out but there's nothing stopping you offering him out for free so once his wages are reasonable there's just as much chance of him moving on and there's more chance of that player coming good staying at a club for more than a year than switching club every year.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    That's the risk you take but at least there's some consistency. Would you prefer to finish 3rd one year and 5th the next or 4th twice is basically the question.
    That's a silly question though. Third place gets you Europe and a tonne of money. Clubs would prefer a year in Europe over any other option, as the income it brings would makes achieving consistency in the following seasons easier.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    That's a silly question though. Third place gets you Europe and a tonne of money. Clubs would prefer a year in Europe over any other option, as the income it brings would makes achieving consistency in the following seasons easier.
    Most years 4th gets European football too. And it's probably overall better for your budget with your attendances being less volatile, wage demands dont soar. Look at Cork and all the financial problems having European football only to lose it is causing already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Dundalk saw him as a possible replacement for Finn and when a player of his undoubted pedigree you have to have a look, maybe his demands were high or they saw that he wasnt in a particularly good place but the interest became luke warm quickly. Certainly fans were enthusiastics about him possibly signing with a few losing the plot after missing out on McEneff also. Similar with Paddy McCourt training with Dundalk but they decided that it would just take too long to get his fitness to where it was expected to be for starters, and as fans we'd loved to have seen him play for us even toward the end of his playing days. It's an awful shame that Forresters playing career is being so badly effected by personal issues. He just doesnt seem in love with the game. That said from the observations from Pat's fans in general on here, they way they play is not going to suit his abilities. So possibly a few thing affecting his form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    That's the risk you take but at least there's some consistency. Would you prefer to finish 3rd one year and 5th the next or 4th twice is basically the question. Stability can be to an extent a bit more boring than stuff like Derrys rise and Corks fall this year but in terms of player and team development its far more beneficial. Yes you might end up with a player on a long term deal that doesn't work out but there's nothing stopping you offering him out for free so once his wages are reasonable there's just as much chance of him moving on and there's more chance of that player coming good staying at a club for more than a year than switching club every year.
    This is very true and what is consistant at Dundalk for the last 6 years is that it's generally year 2 that new signings seem to show why they were signed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Three wins and a draw this week, for the greater good and all that.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I have a bad feeling about Dundalk, conceding an early goal and then falling victim to a park the bus from Riga, and then getting caught on the counter for another goal. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    I have a bad feeling about Dundalk, conceding an early goal and then falling victim to a park the bus from Riga, and then getting caught on the counter for another goal. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.
    Some might say you're just being Rigalistic.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    I hope he picks Andy Boyle to start, the back 4 I think will cope best is Gannon-Boyle-Hoare-Massey, two changes from last Wed, with Cleary and Jarvis dropping out, but who knows what he'll go with. These 4 for me is the best chance of keeping a clean sheet.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I hope he picks Andy Boyle to start, the back 4 I think will cope best is Gannon-Boyle-Hoare-Massey, two changes from last Wed, with Cleary and Jarvis dropping out, but who knows what he'll go with. These 4 for me is the best chance of keeping a clean sheet.
    Suprised at this. Is Gartland no longer a sure starter? Gannon-Boyle-Gartland-Massey would be like 2016 all over again...

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Brian Garland was a sub last week and lost out to Andy Boyle in the half time change. That was the same day that his contract extension was announced. He is also club captain.

So while he is not an automatic first choice he is clearly a significant part of Vinny Perth's plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    Suprised at this. Is Gartland no longer a sure starter? Gannon-Boyle-Gartland-Massey would be like 2016 all over again...
    I expect Jarvis, rather than Massey to start. If Dundalk are to push their full backs forward (which is essential to the way they play), they need good pace at the back to close down any counter attacks.

We saw how Rovers waltzed past Gartland, when Rogers was fortunate not to be sent off, a few weeks ago. Gartland has great qualities and will play a big part in the season, but he is rarely an automatic starter when playing against sides with a bit of pace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Some might say you're just being Rigalistic.
    Some would say that your just talking bollactics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    TMS are into Round 2 of qualifying - Best of luck to Dundalk today!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Is this on RTE? I haven't seen anything so guessing no? Or any other channel?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 32 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast