Page 44 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 1720

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

  1. #861
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,480
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    845
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    689
    Thanked in
    456 Posts
    Maybe its me projecting on the pessimism of a **** up lol or maybe Larnaca or Sava's misskick v St Petersbug lingers in the back of the mind. I dont think there is overconfidence now though especially after Larnaca. I was hopeful on that tie after the home 0-0, I let myself 'expect'. Kenny's motivation coupled with previous performances against more fancied clubs maybe we did become overconfident to an extent, not arrogantly but buying in to SK's 'belief' - a year previous Kilduff's missed sitter to put Rosenborg out and how they threw away beating Celtic, so Larnaca...we can handle them Prior to Larnaca Irish sides had played Cypriots 15 times won 7 drawn 2 so while we knew Cypriot football had progressed not to the extent of a 4-0 defeat. It's not that relevant but I think if we were playing that game again that we would perform better certainly more cautious; hopefully it will be of some benefit to Rovers in the way we were grounded with a nice bump that evening, they certainly wont underestimate them if we did last year.

    Looking at footage of Qarabag they have a lot of pace, play intricately cutting both inside and out on the wings with ease so any going to ground or lunging in and we'll be in trouble. All the previous European experience will need to be called on. Having Boyle back could be a game changer as if we had to rely on Garts his lack of pace would be exposed. Will be key to have Shields fit to start, Benson's ability to influence the pace of the game could be important or maybe Murray's energy getting about the pitch. McEleney needs to turn up with his own bit of magic. Duffy and Kelly on the wings might just worry them enough not to overload with their full backs. Jarvis or Massey is a toss of a coin as they each have their strengths - maybe Jarvis as the pacier of the two but we lose how effective Massey and Duffy link up. Of course Hoban needs to be sharp not only with chances on goal but as an out ball and hold it up well.

    On Hoban, after the penalty shoot-out he seemed to head straight for the tunnel where every other player charged toward Hoare and to the Dundalk fans. Maybe he was over after as the coverage ended quickly without any punditry. He may be doing the professional job and was giving plenty of encouragement in the Captains role but doesnt seem a happy chap at all imo, body language is just off eg he doesnt celebrate a goal like a man on a mission compared to last season - has he dropped the 'Hobanator' celebration too as I havent noted it.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 19/07/2019 at 9:00 PM.

  2. #862
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    855
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    310
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    246
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Go on Gary!

    Serious result for Rovers, this. Athlone Town the only other LoI side to defeat Norwegian opposition in Europe
    Technically Derry City too in 1964 when they beat FL Lyn. Technically - as they're LOI now, but were IL then

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #863
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    855
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    310
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    246
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB11 View Post
    Brilliant from Rovers but those numptys running onto the pitch are embarrassing
    Just don't get it myself. Grown men acting like giddy babies. UEFA will whack them with a big fine for that, as it's considered both dangerous and a sign of poor matchday organisation.

    That aside, an amazing result and performance by Rovers. Great to see it.

  5. #864
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    178
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    11
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Absolutely. But I don't think that should be the target for a "very good" night in Europe is all.
    A good night -- proper expectations fulfilled is 2 seeded teams going through their expected round. In this case the seeded team (cork) lost out but the unseeded team Rovers did well. While they kind of cancel each other out the Cork result is not a shock given their current position in the league so we might have said it was expected that they wouldnt live up to their seeding. Rovers doing as well as they did is then a greater surprise. Dundalk's lack of goals is also a disappointment though... so its a bit of a mixed night overall. Hopefully Dundalk step up their game and get a draw or a win to keep the tie alive and for the coefficient; likewise Rovers.

  6. #865
    International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Basel (Allschwil)
    Posts
    5,787
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,585
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Just looking at this now on uefa site, if Dundalk lose............in group 2, so a chance of getting (likely losers) Feronikeli (KOS), FC Santa Coloma (AND), Dudelange (LUX), Sarajevo (BIH) or Partizani (ALB). Santa Coloma would be a great draw if Dundalk dont win in the CL

    Champions path (draw: approx. 12:25 CEST)

    Group 1
    1 The New Saints (WAL) / København (DEN)
    2 Saburtalo (GEO) / GNK Dinamo (CRO)
    3 Sutjeska (MNE) / APOEL (CYP)
    4 Crvena zvezda (SRB) / HJK Helsinki (FIN)
    5 CFR Cluj (ROU) / Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)
    1 SP Tre Penne (SMR) / Sūduva (LTU)
    2 Piast Gliwice (POL) / Riga FC (LVA)
    3 Ararat-Armenia (ARM) / Lincoln Red Imps (GIB)
    4 Valur Reykjavík (ISL) / Ludogorets (BUL)
    5 HB Tórshavn (FRO) / Linfield (NIR)


    Group 2
    6 Celtic (SCO) / Nõmme Kalju (EST)
    7 BATE Borisov (BLR) / Rosenborg (NOR)
    8 Dundalk (IRL) / Qarabağ (AZE)
    9 Maribor (SVN) / AIK (SWE)
    10 Ferencváros (HUN) / Valletta (MLT)
    Sarajevo (BIH)*
    6 Partizani (ALB) / Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
    7 Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Feronikeli (KOS)
    8 FC Santa Coloma (AND) / Astana (KAZ)
    9 Shkëndija (MKD) / Dudelange (LUX)
    Last edited by bennocelt; 19/07/2019 at 10:16 PM.

  7. #866
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    197
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Any Dundalk or league fans ITK, what’s the likelihood of the cup game with Cobh on August 10th being postponed due to Europe?

  8. #867
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,342
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    534
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    353
    Thanked in
    273 Posts
    I think a lot is being made of Dundalk's failure to score, and remember this is only one of 3 away games since 2014 they have failed to, would have been a fair few games too in that period as last wed was the 70th in total.

    Dundalk played 'just ok' anyone who saw both or one of the games will have seen that, but its not really that big of a deal, they got through, that's all that matters, they and everyone knows they will need to up their game big time to have even a chance v Qarabag.

    Rovers should be in good confidence going to Cyprus, the night time ko will help, although it will still be mid 20's at 8pm in late July, better than late afternoon kick off that we had last year, but no excuses we were beaten fair and square.
    #DundalkFC 4 titles in 5 years 2014/2015/2016/2018

  9. #868
    Reserves Yossarian's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    895
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    204
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Just looking at this now on uefa site, if Dundalk lose............in group 2, so a chance of getting (likely losers) Feronikeli (KOS), FC Santa Coloma (AND), Dudelange (LUX), Sarajevo (BIH) or Partizani (ALB). Santa Coloma would be a great draw if Dundalk dont win in the CL

    Champions path (draw: approx. 12:25 CEST)

    Group 1
    1 The New Saints (WAL) / København (DEN)
    2 Saburtalo (GEO) / GNK Dinamo (CRO)
    3 Sutjeska (MNE) / APOEL (CYP)
    4 Crvena zvezda (SRB) / HJK Helsinki (FIN)
    5 CFR Cluj (ROU) / Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)
    1 SP Tre Penne (SMR) / Sūduva (LTU)
    2 Piast Gliwice (POL) / Riga FC (LVA)
    3 Ararat-Armenia (ARM) / Lincoln Red Imps (GIB)
    4 Valur Reykjavík (ISL) / Ludogorets (BUL)
    5 HB Tórshavn (FRO) / Linfield (NIR)


    Group 2
    6 Celtic (SCO) / Nõmme Kalju (EST)
    7 BATE Borisov (BLR) / Rosenborg (NOR)
    8 Dundalk (IRL) / Qarabağ (AZE)
    9 Maribor (SVN) / AIK (SWE)
    10 Ferencváros (HUN) / Valletta (MLT)
    Sarajevo (BIH)*
    6 Partizani (ALB) / Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
    7 Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Feronikeli (KOS)
    8 FC Santa Coloma (AND) / Astana (KAZ)
    9 Shkëndija (MKD) / Dudelange (LUX)
    I think it’s the winners of those unseeded teams we would play as they are the games from the EL round 2 to be played. Some tough enough teams there.

  10. Thanks From:


  11. #869
    First Team Buller's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Cider
    Posts
    1,127
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    64
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Rovers should be in good confidence going to Cyprus, the night time ko will help, although it will still be mid 20's at 8pm in late July, better than late afternoon kick off that we had last year, but no excuses we were beaten fair and square.
    I remember that... how did they get away changing it to an afternoon kickoff?!!

  12. #870
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,480
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    845
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    689
    Thanked in
    456 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I think it’s the winners of those unseeded teams we would play as they are the games from the EL round 2 to be played. Some tough enough teams there.
    I was thinking that. If the draw was to play the losers of those ties it would be a resonable draw bar game 6. Playing the winners of that round would 9 Shkëndija (MKD) / Dudelange (LUX) be the choice draw? TNS beat the the Macedonians well last year albeit losing 5-4 on agg. We know a thing or two about Dudelange. Bratilave would be a handful. Partizani were made look ordinary ve Qarabag. Astana a mare for travel too. Sarajevo Ive just seen is owned by Vincent Tan, they got an awful draw last season but a credible 2-2 draw with Atalanta when the tie was done after the fist leg

  13. #871
    International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Basel (Allschwil)
    Posts
    5,787
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,585
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I think it’s the winners of those unseeded teams we would play as they are the games from the EL round 2 to be played. Some tough enough teams there.
    you are right, silly me, losers in black to play winners, bit more difficult then


    Group 2
    6 Celtic (SCO) / Nõmme Kalju (EST)
    7 BATE Borisov (BLR) / Rosenborg (NOR)
    8 Dundalk (IRL) / Qarabağ (AZE)
    9 Maribor (SVN) / AIK (SWE)
    10 Ferencváros (HUN) / Valletta (MLT)
    Sarajevo (BIH)*
    6 Partizani (ALB) / Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
    7 Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Feronikeli (KOS)
    8 FC Santa Coloma (AND) / Astana (KAZ)
    9 Shkëndija (MKD) / Dudelange (LUX)

  14. #872
    Reserves joey B's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    984
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    47
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    117
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Paddy Power has Dundalk 6/4 to qualify for the next round of the champions league terrible value imo
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

  15. #873
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,342
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    534
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    353
    Thanked in
    273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Confirmed that our away leg kicks off at 8pm local time which can only be a good thing for us with the heat there
    Well that's def better, will still be 20c min but obv much better than the 35c DFC faced at a 6.30 (I think) local time ko, we had in Larnaca. It all helps. I had a mate out at the game, last year, he said even the walk to the stadium with his kids was exhausting in that heat in mid July. This was fans well hydrated, can you imagine the players?
    #DundalkFC 4 titles in 5 years 2014/2015/2016/2018

  16. #874
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,342
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    534
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    353
    Thanked in
    273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    I remember that... how did they get away changing it to an afternoon kickoff?!!
    Come to think of it, no idea, crazy that wasn't challenged.
    #DundalkFC 4 titles in 5 years 2014/2015/2016/2018

  17. #875
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,859
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,697
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,039
    Thanked in
    3,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Come to think of it, no idea, crazy that wasn't challenged.
    I assume TV dictates it usually.

  18. Thanks From:


  19. #876
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    707
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    90
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Maybe its me projecting on the pessimism of a **** up lol or maybe Larnaca or Sava's misskick v St Petersbug lingers in the back of the mind. I dont think there is overconfidence now though especially after Larnaca. I was hopeful on that tie after the home 0-0, I let myself 'expect'. Kenny's motivation coupled with previous performances against more fancied clubs maybe we did become overconfident to an extent, not arrogantly but buying in to SK's 'belief' - a year previous Kilduff's missed sitter to put Rosenborg out and how they threw away beating Celtic, so Larnaca...we can handle them Prior to Larnaca Irish sides had played Cypriots 15 times won 7 drawn 2 so while we knew Cypriot football had progressed not to the extent of a 4-0 defeat. It's not that relevant but I think if we were playing that game again that we would perform better certainly more cautious; hopefully it will be of some benefit to Rovers in the way we were grounded with a nice bump that evening, they certainly wont underestimate them if we did last year.

    Looking at footage of Qarabag they have a lot of pace, play intricately cutting both inside and out on the wings with ease so any going to ground or lunging in and we'll be in trouble. All the previous European experience will need to be called on. Having Boyle back could be a game changer as if we had to rely on Garts his lack of pace would be exposed. Will be key to have Shields fit to start, Benson's ability to influence the pace of the game could be important or maybe Murray's energy getting about the pitch. McEleney needs to turn up with his own bit of magic. Duffy and Kelly on the wings might just worry them enough not to overload with their full backs. Jarvis or Massey is a toss of a coin as they each have their strengths - maybe Jarvis as the pacier of the two but we lose how effective Massey and Duffy link up. Of course Hoban needs to be sharp not only with chances on goal but as an out ball and hold it up well.

    On Hoban, after the penalty shoot-out he seemed to head straight for the tunnel where every other player charged toward Hoare and to the Dundalk fans. Maybe he was over after as the coverage ended quickly without any punditry. He may be doing the professional job and was giving plenty of encouragement in the Captains role but doesnt seem a happy chap at all imo, body language is just off eg he doesnt celebrate a goal like a man on a mission compared to last season - has he dropped the 'Hobanator' celebration too as I havent noted it.
    Their is a video showing Hoban go straight to Riga players to shake hands with them all after Hoares goal. Another video of him doing the worm in front of the away fans (with all his teammates egging him on).

    So stop trying to spread lies online

  20. #877
    International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Basel (Allschwil)
    Posts
    5,787
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,585
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Main path (draw: 14:00 CEST)
    Group 1
    1 Hapoel Beer-Sheva FC (ISR) / FC Kairat Almaty (KAZ)
    2 Feyenoord (NED)
    3 Shamrock Rovers FC (IRL) / Apollon Limassol FC (CYP)
    4 Torino FC (ITA) / Debreceni VSC (HUN)
    5 FC Viktoria Plzeň (CZE) / Olympiacos FC (GRE)
    6 FK Austria Wien (AUT)
    7 IFK Norrköping (SWE) / FK Liepaja (LVA)
    8 Gabala SC (AZE) / FC Dinamo Tbilisi (GEO)
    9 FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR) / Esbjerg fB (DEN)
    10 Royal Antwerp FC (BEL)

    You imagine if Rovers were able to get past Limassol then Noorkoping/dinamo tbilisi or esberg would be manageable?

  21. #878
    Reserves disgruntled's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    727
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    290
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    102
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Their is a video showing Hoban go straight to Riga players to shake hands with them all after Hoares goal. Another video of him doing the worm in front of the away fans (with all his teammates egging him on).

    So stop trying to spread lies online
    What ! Lies online.
    Surely not 😏

  22. #879
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,832
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    82
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    333
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Their is a video showing Hoban go straight to Riga players to shake hands with them all after Hoares goal. Another video of him doing the worm in front of the away fans (with all his teammates egging him on).

    So stop trying to spread lies online
    Eh....he prefaced his comments on Hoban by saying maybe he was wrong as tv coverage ended quickly.....Not exactly lies I would have thought.....

  23. #880
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,693
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    147
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,014
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Dundalk V Qarabag sold out

    Dundalk FC
    9 mins ·
    ���� SOLD OUT | Our UEFA Champions League second qualifying round first leg tie vs @FKQarabaghEN is now sold out. Demand was extremely high and Oriel Park's capacity is restricted for European matches. Sorry to those who missed out. #QARDUN #DundalkInEurope

Page 44 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. League of Ireland in Europe 2016
    By TheBoss in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 3068
    Last Post: 13/12/2016, 6:18 PM
  2. League of Ireland in Europe
    By TheBoss in forum Football History
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10/12/2016, 3:05 PM
  3. League of Ireland in Europe 2015
    By ger121 in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 1308
    Last Post: 30/09/2015, 12:36 PM
  4. League of Ireland in Europe 2014
    By TheBoss in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 1223
    Last Post: 11/12/2014, 8:58 PM
  5. League of Ireland clubs in Europe
    By eoinh in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11/06/2003, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •