Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1735

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    any word on whether eir will show the game next week as it wasnt mentioned last night at all?
    Not as far as I know

They're probably waiting to see how the campaign for free match admission for LoI season ticket holders goes first

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    A win for Dudelange tonight against Nomme Kalju means we fall behind the Luxembourg league to 40th in Europe.

Not important for clubs of course as they have their own coefficient, but you would still like to see us higher than that.

If you take it that the best Dundalk will do is beat Slovan and then lose home and away to PAOK/Ajax, then our three-year form has us in 46th, and we're badly in need of something to replace Dundalk/Cork's exploits from 2016.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Apollon won 2-1 away to Austria Wien. Really was a decent tie for Rovers if they could have gotten over the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I remember watching the 2016 games in particular and shields was getting all the praise but I thought O'donnell was the main man then. People seemed to lose sight of him cos of Oneills praise for shields. This is exactly what I thought by the end of yesterdays game, he controlled Dundalks play much more effectively and held them together well and shape well without the ball.
    I don't think you'll find a Dundalk supporter who doesn't know how good O'Donnell was. One of the best midfielders ever to play in the league in my opinion. His performances in Europe in 2016 were a different level to anything I've ever seen.

I agree with you, he is badly missed. We don't have everyone like him now. Shields is quality but a different player to O'Donnell

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Taking zero pleasure here but there is no denying dfc have been underwhelming so far.
    Kind of boils down to the next match.
    If they do the business and go through all will be forgiven and it will be a successful run that probably ends by losing to Paok a team that represent a free shot at glory but a tough nut.
    Another below par performance and the verdict will be very different.
    Football is a crazy business 90 minutes will probably decide if vinny gets a shot at next year.
    Hahahaha

We could win a treble but lose next week, but you think Vinny could be gone by next season?

You must have thought Bradley would be long gone by now?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Be prepared to be "shocked"

Maybe things could change if a manager with over a 40% european win rate came available
    Just on Vinny Perth, why do Dundalk have to persist with the fiction that he isn't the manager, with full control. The licence thing is a bit of a nonsense when it's so easily gotten around isn't it ? Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at Dundalk in any way, they should be able to appoint whoever they want as their manager in my view. The system however seems to be a farce to me.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Just on Vinny Perth, why do Dundalk have to persist with the fiction that he isn't the manager, with full control. The licence thing is a bit of a nonsense when it's so easily gotten around isn't it ? Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at Dundalk in any way, they should be able to appoint whoever they want as their manager in my view. The system however seems to be a farce to me.
    Coaching badges are now a FAI (possibly UEFA) requirement for all managers. Perth doesn't have the required badges Giller does therefore they have to go with the current arrangement on paper anyway. what happens at training, matchday's etc. may be completely different.
    Instead of 'getting around' the requirement the simple thing is for managers to get the necessary qualifications.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Coaching badges are now a FAI (possibly UEFA) requirement for all managers. Perth doesn't have the required badges Giller does therefore they have to go with the current arrangement on paper anyway. what happens at training, matchday's etc. may be completely different.
    Instead of 'getting around' the requirement the simple thing is for managers to get the necessary qualifications.
    UEFA requires coaches to be on the Pro License course, FAI require coaches to have completed the course.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Not a bad read that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    UEFA requires coaches to be on the Pro License course, FAI require coaches to have completed the course.
    ta. think in the past we had the same requirement as UEFA and we had a few managers who signed up after they were appointed ( Owen Heery, I think was one). always surprises me that people seeking to go into management don't get the required qualification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Perth on the course, Gill has completed the course, Boxes ticked!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Interesting indeed. Hard to disagree with much of what he says about them progressing and the expectation they'd step up further year on year.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very interesting, and first sign of concern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Interesting indeed. Hard to disagree with much of what he says about them progressing and the expectation they'd step up further year on year.
    Depends on what one expects, Dundalk may never be in a position to deliver Group stage Champions league or Europa league on a consistent basis. they already have the biggest wage bill in LOI by a decent amount so how much more should they spend to maybe progress one more round ? Even that is hit and miss depending on the 'luck of the draw'.
    one would hope for steady consistent progress as they continue to qualify but even that is not guaranteed as resources to other teams increase.

What exactly do we see as the stage LOI clubs can/should be able to reach ?

PEAK6 have no real interest in developing oriel and will not until someone identifies a real tangible business opportunity (or a local authority step in). not holding breath

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Kinda depends whether you agree that "the aim was to win the league every year, and if not to at least qualify for Europe, get through a round or two, and make the money........... That’s a tragic lack of ambition"

What should Dundalk's ambition be? To compete with Qarabag, Rosenborg, APOEL, Ludogorets and consistently make the EL groups? If so the owners will need to increase their investment by a factor of 10

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Depends on what one expects, Dundalk may never be in a position to deliver Group stage Champions league or Europa league on a consistent basis. they already have the biggest wage bill in LOI by a decent amount so how much more should they spend to maybe progress one more round ? Even that is hit and miss depending on the 'luck of the draw'.
    one would hope for steady consistent progress as they continue to qualify but even that is not guaranteed as resources to other teams increase.

What exactly do we see as the stage LOI clubs can/should be able to reach ?

PEAK6 have no real interest in developing oriel and will not until someone identifies a real tangible business opportunity (or a local authority step in). not holding breath
    Have you ever read or listened to any of Peak6's mens interviews?

They spent over half a million already doimg uo the YDC.

Why would they do up Oriel when we can barely get 3,000 every second Friday in Oriel?

They have stated on numerous occasions that ground will be done up eventually, but you prob know better

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    They will sweat the asset as long as there is a yield. Cop on and get together for a plan B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Have you ever read or listened to any of Peak6's mens interviews?

They spent over half a million already doimg uo the YDC.

Why would they do up Oriel when we can barely get 3,000 every second Friday in Oriel?

They have stated on numerous occasions that ground will be done up eventually, but you prob know better
    "Eventually" well I'm glad you cleared that up 😁
    By the way I have some "magic beans" I think you would be VERY interested in !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Found it very interesting that apart from Celtic and Rangers who are different animals anyway, no other Scottish team has qualified for the Europa League group stage since it's inception,was surprised by that.......

Page 74 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast