Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 69 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1735

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    It would seem crazy if we can draw Qarabag again, but I think Celtic got Rosenberg twice one season in recent times?

The actual draw is tomorrow, so won’t have long to wait, but Bratislava will be firm favs in this round for sure, we will need a huge improvement from some players to step up to this test. McEleney and Duffy were particularly poor last wed night.

Ps I still can’t work out how Linfield got drawn against a Faroes side in EL r2.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    [QUOTE Ps I still can’t work out how Linfield got drawn against a Faroes side in EL r2.[/QUOTE]
    Me neither.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    It would seem crazy if we can draw Qarabag again, but I think Celtic got Rosenberg twice one season in recent times?

The actual draw is tomorrow, so won’t have long to wait, but Bratislava will be firm favs in this round for sure, we will need a huge improvement from some players to step up to this test. McEleney and Duffy were particularly poor last wed night.

Ps I still can’t work out how Linfield got drawn against a Faroes side in EL r2.
    Out in CLQR1, so were seeded in ELQR2. However, if there are not an equal amount of seeded vs unseeded teams. Once the draw commences and there are no more unseeded teams left in the pot for each group, it becomes an open draw. Therefore they got Torshavn! Least that’s my understanding of it.
    Last edited by ger121; 05/08/2019 at 7:09 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PAOK or Ajax for Dundalk if we manage to beat Slovan Bratislava, most likely PAOK. Very tough draw no doubt, but that's to be expected at this stage of the competition.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Loser of PAOK vs Ajax if Dundalk progress, not an easy one. PAOK fans are different level too if anyone remembers them from playing Rovers in the group stages

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Out in CLQR1, so where seeded in ELQR2. However, if there are not an equal amount of seeded vs unseeded teams. Once the draw commences and there are no more unseeded teams left in the pot for each group, it becomes an open draw. Therefore they got Torshavn! Least that’s my understanding of it.
    Yep dundalk almost got the non seed this time... could have been BATE or Astana... in the end PAOK/ajax sre at least handier trips and high profile and a change from another bate game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Little luck this year drawing one of the top seeds in 2 from 3 groups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Loser of PAOK vs Ajax if Dundalk progress, not an easy one. PAOK fans are different level too if anyone remembers them from playing Rovers in the group stages
    Hard to call that one. Ajax can be brilliant but they have had their moments in the qualifiers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    On a side note. It is absolutely crazy that the League winners in the Eredivise have to qualify for the CL.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Not a great draw. It all seems a bit deflating/disappointing this year.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    On a side note. It is absolutely crazy that the League winners in the Eredivise have to qualify for the CL.
    Yea. Austria, it seems have taken theor place. Salzburg had a good year last year as did rapid wien and over the 5 uears have had overall better results, plus changes to the entrants at the group stage point. But yea still a surprise not to see them there. Reminds me of when celtic started dropping off at these points...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    I suspect we'll see more of this sort of thing to be honest.

The likes of Holland, Portugal, Scotland, Belgium etc are considered firmly in the second tier of European football. Any time a European Superior League gets mentioned it's always for the big 5 or 6 nations only, with those second tier nations hived off into an Atlantic League or similar.

European club football is continuing its very slow march towards a system of three tiers split along country lines, rather than split by individual club performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    With the top 4 leagues auto making the CL group stage it meant an extra round this year in both CL and EL. Tough draw but thats the way it goes, besides I'd rate Dundalk no more than 40/60 to go through v Bratislava (60% their favour), all could change on Wed night whatever the result, hopefully its positive and we have a good chance in Tallaght to make the play off.

If we did make that, I can't see this being Ajax, even with losing players, although not so many (yet) as expected, they should be far too strong for PAOK. What a trip that would be in the party city / resort of Thessaloniki, would def go to that, be great to see that part of Northern Greece.

Just the 'small' hurdle of getting past Bratislava first, and any hopes of the play off round could be gone by 9 pm on Wed, lets hope not, they are no Qarabag but will still be favs to make the play off round.

PS: Linfield's luck ran out, they'll be up most likely v Qarabag (if they beat APOEL), should Linfield get past Sutjeska (Montenegro)
    Last edited by oriel; 05/08/2019 at 7:16 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Not just that they’re Dutch champions but also that they were seconds away from being in the final last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

There's no seeding in the EL second qualifying round draw for CL first round losers (well, just there 3 preliminary round losers are unseeded, then the rest are all lumped in together)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    PS: Linfield's luck ran out, they'll be up most likely v Qarabag (if they beat APOEL), should Linfield get past Sutjeska (Montenegro)
    Still though - if they beat the Montenegrians they will have banked almost €1.5m in prizemoney. Probably a record for a Irish league side. No mean feat in itself. You'd suspect that Sutjeska will have too much for them mind you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Its huge money indeed for an Irish League club, I think they only pick up 50k for winning their league. Linfield are currently on €1.2M like Dundalk, and both will move to €1.5M if they get to the play off round.

Sutjeska beat Bratislava in CL r1 (on pens), then lost 4-0 on agg against Apoel Nicossia in CLr2, so almost identical record really to Dundalk (the 1-1 draw v Qarabag was the difference), I think they will still get past Linfield though.

Dundalk really need to score tomorrow night if there is to be a chance you'd think. Its still a big ask, but also a massive opportunity to make the play off. Will need everyone on top form.
    Last edited by oriel; 06/08/2019 at 10:48 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It's "only" an extra 300k for making the ELR4 though isn't it?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    So i believe, if teams go out at EL r3 they end up with 1.2m, make the play off it goes to 1.5m in total.

The fun obviously starts at EL group stage, I think its 3m to kick off with, then 450k per win, 300k per draw, something like that, I recall reading Dundalk got an additonal 750k for their one win and one draw from the 2016 group. They also got a premium added for having lost the CL play off, obv not the case this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Edit - you only get paid for the rounds you play in

Champions league participants who don't make the Play-off recieve an additional 260k

The 480k on offer for the 3rd Qualifying round is only for clubs eliminated from the champions path, since clubs eliminated from the league path qualify directly for the UEFA Europa League group stage and therefore benefit from its distribution system

PRIZEMONEY.JPG
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 06/08/2019 at 2:54 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Page 69 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast