Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1735

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Marino shouldnt you be taking a break from the internet after your embarrassing display in the other thread? This is for european games anyway. Not really something you need to worry about as a proud underachiever.

Nesta would you not say you got out of our last meeting with a lucky 3 points no? Most would. Best ive seen us play against you and I think its a sign the gap is closing. Made you look pretty normal for the first time in years. Bar gannon. Unreal player. The one that got away.

On the field things are even enough . On the league table its another matter but thats down to our games against the hipsters. Wed be top if we managed to put them away.

As for missing players.... You brought in a lad who was starting for watford as a replacement.. Among others. I dont think anyone would buy that dundalk have limited depth. Shields and benson are great players but you coped just fine. Almost have two league winning elevens up there to pick from whereas rovers were fielding kids. We've added depth now with cummins, farrugia and oneill. Bench starting to look better which we need. 14 man game and all that. Dundalk still so stacked though and it will probably carry you to another league. Congrats if so.

The AP v Qarabag debate is a bit silly but a neutral would probably look at the Cypriot league being ranked above the Azerbaijani along with AP beating lazio and marseille in europe last year whereas Q, while qualifying impressively to the CL group stages, didn't exactly set the world alight when there. The club coefficient tells a different story but we know all the coefficient stuff is a bit problematic, league and club alike. Footballs about more than points or we wouldn't bother watching it!

Two good sides though, with great pedigree in europe and both our sides will be doing well to go through. Think rovers are handling it better so far in that they are winning games, but dundalk find ways to win even when they arent playing well. That's why they are champions elect.

Good luck with qarabag. On balance id rather you dropped into the europa but in the spirit of football supporters sticking together.....
    Rovers are constantly improving along with Bradley as a manager. The gap is closing but not at a rate that has Dundalk fans really looking over the shoulders yet. A couple of shrewd signings in the close season could change that quickly. I'm sure I will be reminded of saying this if we throw away this league title!!!

There is an unprecedented level of depth of squad probably ever in LoI. But with that even in mind we had 7 midfielders out injured early/'mid' season and a number that were long term. Flores and Murray were not fit and had reoccuring injuries as a result. We have played a left fullback and a central defender in midfield as a result and a right full back in right midfield. That we have yet to put in a really good performance is an indication of the disruption to the squad, players out of position, and players being risked - playing injured with no other choice. It's worth considering the importance of the players that were out of games also - Benson, McEleney, McGrath, Murray, Flores, Mountney, Shields for 3 weeks(?) so a good few games with this fixture list, Folan, Dummigan from trying to get match fit and so on. With different but significant combinations granted. All of Benson, McEleney, McGrath, Murray, Flores, Mountney, Shields have had to play rushed back from injury. Murray and Flores never got the chance to get match fit.

Murray now is looking like he is getting both injury free cuurently and is nearly fully match fit. He looked a real talent at Watford in the Champonship but dropped down to Colchester in League 2 and then to to a newly promoted Dutch side where he made just 11 appearances. Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of his, think he will become one of the top player in the league so not just flashy as bringing in a lad who was starting from watford sounds.
    Flores hadnt played in a few seasons after a serious car crash. So its still a bit of a work in progress for these lads. I'm not suggesting the Dundalk midfields v Rovers were 'weak' but it was far from full srength or even in good form. This isnt meant as a wind up but especially the games in Tallaght Rovers were on top of their game but by comparison Dundalk were not in form but ground out results. Rovers reliance on a small core of players will mean mean luck with injuries just the same as it was for Dundalk with so many players out. Now that these players are becoming available were are much better equipped for injuries and suspension than anyone else.

Each to their own on the quality of the current European opposition as time will ultimately give some sort of better indication.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 29/07/2019 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Fair assessment Nesta, I've been saying since the beginning of the season that we needed luck with injuries / suspensions to have a chance.
    The mad sending off of Grace against Bohs and resulting match against Dundalk with a 16 year old at left back and Finn at right back showed how thin we are.
    Ifs and buts etc , we have been on a bad run with refs this season by comparison as well (all your penos AT the box
    That is improving with the signing of Farrugia and O Neill but i can't see Jack Byrne being around for next season so thats a huge loss.
    If the reported signing of Graham Burke is true he would be a decent replacement but won't dominate the way Jack can.
    Next season if we are to try and get the title back finally will probably come down again to finding a hatstand that can score 15-20 goals

On the European opposition, co-efficients mean nothing as the teams that earned those points can be totally different.
    Dundalks Co-efficient is earned mostly by the 2016 team which were a better team than the current team as an example.
    Just on the basis of the one game i have seen for each team i would say Quarabag and Appolon look similarly dangerous on the ball going forward but Quarabag look much more solid at the back and the better team overall.
    I suspect Appolon at their level will be a different team in Cyprus they strutted in Tallaght and looked shocked that we were taking the game to them, Quarabag gave Dundalk respect based on Dundalks pedigree.
    Going to be an interesting week

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Fair assessment Nesta, I've been saying since the beginning of the season that we needed luck with injuries / suspensions to have a chance.
    The mad sending off of Grace against Bohs and resulting match against Dundalk with a 16 year old at left back and Finn at right back showed how thin we are.
    Ifs and buts etc , we have been on a bad run with refs this season by comparison as well (all your penos AT the box
    That is improving with the signing of Farrugia and O Neill but i can't see Jack Byrne being around for next season so thats a huge loss.
    If the reported signing of Graham Burke is true he would be a decent replacement but won't dominate the way Jack can.
    Next season if we are to try and get the title back finally will probably come down again to finding a hatstand that can score 15-20 goals
    Rovers inability to recruit a quality striker has been their achilles heal. Bradley famously ridiculed that by saying that claims Shamrock Rovers were off the title pace last season because they lacked a prolific scorer are ‘lazy throwaway comments’. He was since signed Graham Cummins to add to the earlier dud signing of Orhan Vojic, and pulled out of signing David McMillian, laughably saying Dundalk had won that race.

If Rovers are to become title winners in the near future, they will need better judgement or a big dollop of luck with a striker signing. Title winners also tend to have a strength in depth that Rovers don't have.

On the European opposition, co-efficients mean nothing as the teams that earned those points can be totally different.
    Dundalks Co-efficient is earned mostly by the 2016 team which were a better team than the current team as an example.
    Just on the basis of the one game i have seen for each team i would say Quarabag and Appolon look similarly dangerous on the ball going forward but Quarabag look much more solid at the back and the better team overall.
    I suspect Appolon at their level will be a different team in Cyprus they strutted in Tallaght and looked shocked that we were taking the game to them, Quarabag gave Dundalk respect based on Dundalks pedigree.
    Going to be an interesting week
    I understand why one would dismiss co-efficient if it doesn't support some spurious argument comparing teams.

But qualification as Airtricity League champions and sufficient co-efficient / ranking points to be seeded are critical for an team with ambition to make the group stages.

I think Rovers could earn more ranking points on Thursday night. I might even stifle a quiet cheer if that happens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    I'd probably agree with this, but if you break it down its really the MF that was the difference. The defence is mostly the same, including the GK, up front its Hoban who replaced McMillan, so its really down to 3 players, Finn, O'Donnell and Horgan, the first two were absolutely made for the group stages.

I'd go one further and suggest the 2015 MF that Dundalk had was the best we ever had with the trio of Finn, O'Donnell and Towell, yet the 2016 side advanced so much further in europe, but it can be down to small margins and you need that little but of luck too, rememeber the 2016 euro run started with a 3-3 away goals on agg win v FH, if they have scored one more in ET, we were out out, no backdoor.

Also the following game how BATE didn't beat us by more than 1-0 away was amazing, home leg we were 2-0 up, and they were pressing hard for a goal for themselves to win it on agg (would have been 2-2 on Agg) then we caught them with a sloppy pass, and it was game over at 3-0.
    Last edited by oriel; 29/07/2019 at 10:03 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    I wasn't having a pop at DFC on the co-efficient point they are just a good example of how teams change but co-efficients stay for a long time.
    I agree with you on the best midfield being Finn/Towell/O Donnell , arguably Towells goals are the hardest to replace and helped DFC where the Centreforward wasnt prolific.
    Mceneff is playing that role for Rovers (8 goals in 10 matches , his injury was a massive blow) but we just don't have enough depth and i can't see the budget changing unless the club raises more funding or go's on an extended euro run.

Manus
    Gannon Grace Boyle Kavanagh
    Finn McEneff Towell O Donnell Byrne
    Maguire

Best 11 Rovers DFC last few years....possible new thread (EZ is banned )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    The Battle of Tallaght has been resolved.... Dundalk will play on the Tuesday regardless of what competition we're in, so Rovers will play Thursday if they progress. More of a pain the arse is the fact that we'll both be heading to Vienna/Bratislava at the same time pushing up each other's flight prices assuming Rovers, Qarabag and Slovan all win. The good news is that Dundalk fans will be able to snap up all the cheap flights after losing to Qarabag on Wednesday before Rovers go and eliminate Apollon on Thursday ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Im hoping Qarabag do the same as BATE. They dominated us at home for 50/55mins could have been out of sight and its their first competative game. Now they have sussed us and can arrogantly think the game is over. Certainly their fans are suggesting its a formality. This all plays in to our hands and put in a BATE level of performance we chan stun them. The crowd will get on their backs etc so it is possible if not probable that we progress.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Rovers inability to recruit a quality striker has been their achilles heal. Bradley famously ridiculed that by saying that claims Shamrock Rovers were off the title pace last season because they lacked a prolific scorer are ‘lazy throwaway comments’. He was since signed Graham Cummins to add to the earlier dud signing of Orhan Vojic, and pulled out of signing David McMillian, laughably saying Dundalk had won that race.

If Rovers are to become title winners in the near future, they will need better judgement or a big dollop of luck with a striker signing. Title winners also tend to have a strength in depth that Rovers don't have.

I understand why one would dismiss co-efficient if it doesn't support some spurious argument comparing teams.

But qualification as Airtricity League champions and sufficient co-efficient / ranking points to be seeded are critical for an team with ambition to make the group stages.

I think Rovers could earn more ranking points on Thursday night. I might even stifle a quiet cheer if that happens

currently Rovers have 3.750 which would now be enough to be seeded in that 1st EL QR. To be seeded in the CL 1QR they would have needed 5.5. If they do go through this round they will bump up to 4.25 likely too low to be seeded in next year's CL. Looking at their 5 year points' haul they had bad returns 4 & 5 years ago but they should be seeded in that first EL round next year which gives them a good chance to get points to replace out that low 0.5 with a 1.5. IF clubs were in a position to do proper 5 year plans things could really pay off (literally).

Dundalk's is as high as its ever been. It's now at 8.5 and with any luck this year up to 9.0. Which is a great height to be at because even if they lose their 3.0 in 2 years they are likely replacing it with a solid 1.5 or presumptive 2.0 (since they will be seeded again next year) so are still not like to lose their seeding any time soon.
    It would be really great to have at least 2 teams properly competing at these stages.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Jeez rathfarnham hoop I hope foot.ie protect your anonymity when the secondary school kids come looking to sue you for defamation comparing them to the fixture scheduler in the FAI
    I'm slightly disappointed nobody seems to have picked up on the reference. Maybe I was a bit too vague.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

You say that as if there's tonnes of quality strikers going that were ignored. Aaron Greene is the joint 3rd top scorer in the league, 2nd is only a goal ahead and a loan player and half of 1st's goals have been penalties, the league in general is lacking goal scorers

As for dismissing coefficient, nobody is dismissing it, its just not completely accurate. As I said before whos better Porto of Ajax?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Dundalk and Rovers' second legs don't seem to be on Eirsport this week. (Although, bizarrely, the Rangers game is). Disappointing.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Dundalk and Rovers' second legs don't seem to be on Eirsport this week. (Although, bizarrely, the Rangers game is). Disappointing.
    Dundalk’s game is definitely on Eir. Dunno about Rovers though.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Dundalk’s game is definitely on Eir. Dunno about Rovers though.
    Dundalk are on Eir 1 at 9pm.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    I wasn't having a pop at DFC on the co-efficient point they are just a good example of how teams change but co-efficients stay for a long time.
    I agree with you on the best midfield being Finn/Towell/O Donnell , arguably Towells goals are the hardest to replace and helped DFC where the Centreforward wasnt prolific.
    Mceneff is playing that role for Rovers (8 goals in 10 matches , his injury was a massive blow) but we just don't have enough depth and i can't see the budget changing unless the club raises more funding or go's on an extended euro run.

Manus
    Maguire

You're a gas man sbgawa, its only a bit of fun of course, but you've gone for 6 of the current Rovers team here, be interesting to see who makes it into the end of season toty.

Back to more important things, good to see the dates now confirmed for the next round, but I think a lot of DFC fans are assuming it will be Bratislava if its EL r3, the side from Kosovo only need to win 1-0 and they are through, and that's not a trip to attract too many.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Dundalk are on Eir 1 at 9pm.

Its 6pm Irish time, 9pm local.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Manus
    Maguire

Agreed, Sean Maguire's five games zero goals contribution for Dundalk has been vastly underrated for too long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Manus
    Maguire
    If you insist on Ethan, at least play him in his normal position

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Agreed, Sean Maguire's five games zero goals contribution for Dundalk has been vastly underrated for too long

Come on seand, surely you remember the goal he scored against Sligo? Anyway moving Kurtis from the left wing to centre forward would probably improve sbgawa's side

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I was kinda taking it that his contribution for cork would make him eligible for this team as a dundalk man. Kind of like Trevor brooking might make an all time st pats team despite just the one appearance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Manus
    Maguire

And I though PC was the official Rovers troll....

Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast