Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1735

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    There are far too many variables involved to form an option based of one game. Using more than one piece of data to form your opinion is literally rule number one of analysis.
    Living in Switzerland I am fortunate (or unfortunate) to get to see 6, if u include Lichtenstein, Swiss leagues teams on TV (and sometimes up close) battle it out in Europe year in year out. From watching these games, mostly Europea games, rounds where the LOI teams have yet to reach I can tell you the general standard of most of the games is pish poor. A lot of it has to do with too many games and lack of interest so most of the time I am watching teams half heartedly play football to half empty stadiums. The novelty of Europa league football year in year out has long gone for a lot of fans here. And not just here, but for a lot of mid ranking countries who will never win a big euro title. For example, last season once basel dropped into the EL, they couldn't even give away the tickets. The interest and level of skill and entertainment only rises if a team gets anywhere near the latter stages, and by that stage the big four nations teams (Italy, Eng, Spa, ger) then also take an interest. So I am saying a lot of the games in the Europea are piddle, but I am not sure what the stats would tell me on that.............

Apollon Limassol knocked Basel out last year, they were well worth it too, sucker punching us on the break. But it was more to do with Basel been **** last season than how good AL were.

So yes I think Qarabag are good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Well I disagree, looking at both teams for the first time I think Qarabag are as good a team as Dundalk have played in recent times, up there with that Russian team and Legia were good in parts, any of the Cypriot teams that have played LOI teams in the past have always looked beatable. Don't care about stats, sorry.
    Qarabag were the best team Dundalk played since Zenit St Petersberg. Their technique especially in the first half was way ahead of any side I have seen visiting these shores in recent years in europe.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Qarabag were the best team Dundalk played since Zenit St Petersberg. Their technique especially in the first half was way ahead of any side I have seen visiting these shores in recent years in europe.
    Yeah that's how I saw it, and as some Dundalk fan already mentioned here, the fans knew it too, hence the huge cheer when Hoban scored. I imagine they wilted in the second half due to a lack of full time training, and Id say next week they will be that much fitter. You would be amazed how much a team can improve in one week in terms of match fitness.........(re Cork V Genk as a good example)
    Last edited by bennocelt; 26/07/2019 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    They were so good, at HT I was almost ordering a brandy to calm myself instead of a pint of harp ! We honestly thought they would have destroyed us in the second half.

No doubt they will be thinking they are almost home and dry, but if Dundalk can put in a performance like away to Legia (they only equalised in injury time), we might have a chance, its a very tall order though.

Dundalk have had some excellent away results in recent years, but not many wins, the standout was a 2-1 win in Split in 2014, that would do, next best were 1-1 draws v Alkmaar and Legia, but the away wins have been rare, in Lux (twice) & Tallin (once) so its going to need something extra special.

Another stat which is chilling, and just shows how hard any win is in europe for any Irish side (credit Rovers having two already this season), is Dundalk's last home win in either the EC / CL was as far back as 1979, v Hibs of Malta.
    Last edited by oriel; 26/07/2019 at 10:40 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    All the games between the two clubs have been pretty even, even the one when rovers were missing half a squad. There was nothing in either game in Tallaght. I feel safe in saying a neutral would call Dundalk and Rovers pretty even.

Who's better Porto or Ajax?
    QED

It's not nonsensical, Qarabag have basically guaranteed access to the Champions league every year because the rest of the league is pretty poor whereas in Cyprus there's Larnaca and Apoel to compete with so they don't have that safety net so have to win every round to get into the groups.
    These sort of p1ssing match debates only go round in circles as the subjective nature takes over. But honestly to refer to Rovers missing half a squad for any game against us this season and not to consider that Dundalk had to cobble together an entire midfield and play injured players for what is almost half a season squished in to the first 3 months, isnt very balanced observation.

Nobody is taking away from Rovers result, Dundalk escaped with a draw just about. Aside from what the stats indicate, more neutral observers would in all likelyhood think that there was more about Qarabag. I'm not sure what yer getting at with the 6 titles in a row etc - its possible that Dundalk could have 5 from 6 seasons and you cant say it wasnt competative for the most part or (almost) guaranteed access to CL each year as it might look to the outsider. Anyway we all know that Rovers up their game and bust a gut to beat us - have to considering the Derby games are a forgone conclusion!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Can we not go back to loving each other on this thread, it's only 1

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    These sort of p1ssing match debates only go round in circles as the subjective nature takes over. But honestly to refer to Rovers missing half a squad for any game against us this season and not to consider that Dundalk had to cobble together an entire midfield and play injured players for what is almost half a season squished in to the first 3 months, isnt very balanced observation.

Nobody is taking away from Rovers result, Dundalk escaped with a draw just about. Aside from what the stats indicate, more neutral observers would in all likelyhood think that there was more about Qarabag. I'm not sure what yer getting at with the 6 titles in a row etc - its possible that Dundalk could have 5 from 6 seasons and you cant say it wasnt competative for the most part or (almost) guaranteed access to CL each year as it might look to the outsider. Anyway we all know that Rovers up their game and bust a gut to beat us - have to considering the Derby games are a forgone conclusion!!
    I'm not trying to get into any sort of ****ing contest. Dundalk didn't exactly have cobbled together midfields against Rovers now did they? As a reminder the midfields for the first two were Shields, Murray, McGrath and Shields, McGrath McEleney. Whereas Rovers had a 16 year old left back and an attacking midfielder at right back and a bench with an average age of 19 years old, that's a completely different level. My whole point was that Rovers and Dundalk are pretty equal this season which I think the two Tallaght games have shown.

What stats show it? The coefficient that also says Porto are 7 places and 11.500 points better than Ajax? What I'm getting at with the 6 in a row thing is that when you're in the champions league its a lot easier to qualify for one of the group stages and to build up the coefficient. Just for the record Qarabag average winning the league by 0.35 points per game, for comparison Dundalk's average is 0.22, That's a big difference. Once in the group stages their records are actually pretty similar. As I've said already you can't judge a team based off watching one game there are far too many variables involved to do that, including Rovers potentially just finding out their opposition quicker than Dundalk theirs. As for the last sentence the same goes for the other way too. Breaking news: Top two teams want to beat each other. None of this takes anything away from Dundalk but it is seriously worrying the way you guys take suck exception to anything short of absolute praise and even praise of other clubs/players.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    My whole point was that Rovers and Dundalk are pretty equal this season which I think the two Tallaght games have shown.

What stats show it? .
    1 point from 3 matches between the sides shows Rovers remain far from equal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    1 point from 3 matches between the sides shows Rovers remain far from equal
    But OTHER than that they were the same 😀

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    But OTHER than that they were the same 😀
    Marino shouldnt you be taking a break from the internet after your embarrassing display in the other thread? This is for european games anyway. Not really something you need to worry about as a proud underachiever.

Nesta would you not say you got out of our last meeting with a lucky 3 points no? Most would. Best ive seen us play against you and I think its a sign the gap is closing. Made you look pretty normal for the first time in years. Bar gannon. Unreal player. The one that got away.

On the field things are even enough . On the league table its another matter but thats down to our games against the hipsters. Wed be top if we managed to put them away.

As for missing players.... You brought in a lad who was starting for watford as a replacement.. Among others. I dont think anyone would buy that dundalk have limited depth. Shields and benson are great players but you coped just fine. Almost have two league winning elevens up there to pick from whereas rovers were fielding kids. We've added depth now with cummins, farrugia and oneill. Bench starting to look better which we need. 14 man game and all that. Dundalk still so stacked though and it will probably carry you to another league. Congrats if so.

The AP v Qarabag debate is a bit silly but a neutral would probably look at the Cypriot league being ranked above the Azerbaijani along with AP beating lazio and marseille in europe last year whereas Q, while qualifying impressively to the CL group stages, didn't exactly set the world alight when there. The club coefficient tells a different story but we know all the coefficient stuff is a bit problematic, league and club alike. Footballs about more than points or we wouldn't bother watching it!

Two good sides though, with great pedigree in europe and both our sides will be doing well to go through. Think rovers are handling it better so far in that they are winning games, but dundalk find ways to win even when they arent playing well. That's why they are champions elect.

Good luck with qarabag. On balance id rather you dropped into the europa but in the spirit of football supporters sticking together.....
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 27/07/2019 at 6:13 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Marino shouldnt you be taking a break from the internet after your embarrassing display in the other thread? This is for european games anyway. Not really something you need to worry about as a proud underachiever.

Nesta would you not say you got out of our last meeting with a lucky 3 points no? Most would. Best ive seen us play against you and I think its a sign the gap is closing. Made you look pretty normal for the first time in years. Bar gannon. Unreal player. The one that got away.

On the field things are even enough . On the league table its another matter but thats down to our games against the hipsters. Wed be top if we managed to put them away.

As for missing players.... You brought in a lad who was starting for watford as a replacement.. Among others. I dont think anyone would buy that dundalk have limited depth. Shields and benson are great players but you coped just fine. Almost have two league winning elevens up there to pick from whereas rovers were fielding kids. We've added depth now with cummins, farrugia and oneill. Bench starting to look better which we need. 14 man game and all that. Dundalk still so stacked though and it will probably carry you to another league. Congrats if so.

The AP v Qarabag debate is a bit silly but a neutral would probably look at the Cypriot league being ranked above the Azerbaijani along with AP beating lazio and marseille in europe last year whereas Q, while qualifying impressively to the CL group stages, didn't exactly set the world alight when there. The club coefficient tells a different story but we know all the coefficient stuff is a bit problematic, league and club alike. Footballs about more than points or we wouldn't bother watching it!

Two good sides though, with great pedigree in europe and both our sides will be doing well to go through. Think rovers are handling it better so far in that they are winning games, but dundalk find ways to win even when they arent playing well. That's why they are champions elect.

Good luck with qarabag. On balance id rather you dropped into the europa but in the spirit of football supporters sticking together.....
    Oh dear, obviously not up to date 😁 Maybe check out how the "Kearns is innocent "campaign is going before coming in here spouting rubbish.
    Anyone care to tell him ?
    BTW underachieving is better than going bankrupt and misappropriatibg tax payers money don't you think ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Oh dear, obviously not up to date 😁 Maybe check out how the "Kearns is innocent "campaign is going before coming in here spouting rubbish.
    Anyone care to tell him ?
    BTW underachieving is better than going bankrupt and misappropriatibg tax payers money don't you think ?
    Ill leave you to it. You have a tremendous ability to lose debates all on your own and without the help of adult supervision.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Ill leave you to it. You have a tremendous ability to lose debates all on your own and without the help of adult supervision.
    Four. More. Games 😁
    Maybe your adult supervisor can explain it to you.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Four. More. Games 😁
    Maybe your adult supervisor can explain it to you.
    PM me if you'd like. You can explain what you are trying to say and i'll show you again why it doesn't work. Happy to help a student. It will save everyone else the spectacle of you posting inconsistent ramblings to the point you get threatened with a ban.

Unless you have something to say about european football that's useful?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Lads has anyone considered the possibility that marinobohs is special needs ?
    I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Lads has anyone considered the possibility that marinobohs is special needs ?
    I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Honestly, im only responding to him because he implied he was a student and its entertaining/alarming to see his lack of clarity. I usually don't engage with internet wums because you never know the backstory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    The bookies who don't do bias have a good idea of how difficult a job dundalk and Rovers have.
    Quarabag are 1/5 ON to qualify for the next round and while they haven't put up odds yet for the Europa league matches (other than straight match odds,) they have Appolon 4/9 ON to win the match .
    Dundalk have a safety net but it is strongly likely we will have both teams lose the next leg, either team progressing would be a massive accoplishment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    So your saying that Rovers would be top if they had won 3 of the games that they lost?

For Finn Harps their number is only 13.

Fine margins, huh?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    So your saying that Rovers would be top if they had won 3 of the games that they lost?

For Finn Harps their number is only 13.

Fine margins, huh?
    Fine indeed. The width of a crossbar, a shoelace on Danny Mandrouis boot or so often in your own case, the whim of a referee in the dying minutes of a game when a dundalk player goes tumbling to the ground after a particularly violent gust of wind.

The clearest example of how much the gap has closed is probably not in the head to heads, on field battles or relative gathering of points by the finest of margins though - it's in how much you seem to post about Rovers versus any other topic. Methinks the lad doth post too much..........maybe you're getting worried?
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 28/07/2019 at 3:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Fine indeed. The width of a crossbar, a shoelace on Danny Mandrouis boot or so often in your own case, the whim of a referee in the dying minutes of a game when a dundalk player goes tumbling to the ground after a particularly violent gust of wind.

The clearest example of how much the gap has closed is probably not in the head to heads, on field battles or relative gathering of points by the finest of margins though - it's in how much you seem to post about Rovers versus any other topic. Methinks the lad doth post too much..........maybe you're getting worried?

My loathing of all things Rovers has been consistent for a long time. If Rovers fans keep posting their delusional fantasy, I'm likely to continue to set the record straight or call out this sort of nonsense

Rovers have narrowed some gaps, by their own very pathetic standard in recent years - the distance to the top of the table has been 22 to 25 points in each of the last 3 season.

Rovers current 2.04 points per match average in 2019 (51 points from 25 matches) would not have got them above 3rd place in any of those seasons.

Rovers have a lot more improvement to make before I'm likely to get even mildly worried
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 28/07/2019 at 4:04 PM.

Page 57 of 87 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast