Page 55 of 87 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1735

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I'm not convinced Rovers are much fitter than Apollon. Rovers midfield got very tired from about the hour mark, I though Bradley made the right changes but maybe a bit too late for the midfield. Apollon were a very cynical and narky team when things started to go against them. The elbow was so blatant, I'm not sure the ref had a great angle on it but it was a red all day long, I was a long way from the actual red, looked like he won the ball but he lunged in two feet off the ground and after a series of close calls the ref was nearly forced to show the red at that stage. They cynicism paid off for them though when they went down to 10, they never let Rovers have a really good spell of possession and they killed the momentum of the game. It'll be a huge task for Rovers over there, but the fact they look like scoring from every set piece will work in their favour as they'll believer they can nick a goal at any stage, even if they go behind.

Just to add McEneff has become an absolute key player for Rovers. I don't think it's a coincidence that their poor run off form coincided with his injury. He's not as showy as Byrne obviously, but he's a really intelligent player, his positioning and work rate are really good and he creates space for Byrne and is often the one finding him with a tidy little pass.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 26/07/2019 at 9:50 AM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

It was Rovers that put the full tv production in place last night all RTE or Eir had to do was take the feed and put commentary on it but neither interested. Hopefully one of them pick it up next week.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Another great occasion last night, great to see so many dads with their kids at the game. Is Jack Byrne now the best footballer Ireland have, he was excellent last night his range of passing is outstanding and when he goes on a run his centre of gravity and the way he shields the ball from opponents is almost Hazard like. Carr was better last night. Joey O Brien also excellent. i think we can score over there and not just from set pieces but they will be much improved. The noise from the South Stand for some of the games this season has been incredible and again when we went one down the fans really got behind the team. There is a growing maturity in the group deffo have a chance of a draw against the black and reds in a few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Good result for shams last night.Didn't see the game (Irelands sports coverage ) but any win is welcome development. I think shams more positive style probably suits better in Europe than it sometimes does at home.
    great to see another big crowd at SDCC Community Stadium (no golf on last night ). Still a tough battle but having a lead to protect really gives them a chance in the second leg, an away goal could be priceless to their chances of progress.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    the weather is stifling in Europe atm.
    Cyrpus looks even hotter and it stays 30 degrees even into the evening. But great results for the league and hopefully a similar or better haul for next week. Ive always felt that we should be aiming to have (at least) two teams in the 3QR stage of the Europa League; and hopefully one into the Playoff round with a bit of luck/grit.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    All on for a bit of RTE bashing normally but it was a game against a team from Cyprus in the Europa League that didn’t even sell out.

Great win and in a great position to get through now
    Not really a fair way to describe it now is it? It was a marquee game for the league. Bumper crowd, top class facilities, great atmosphere, lovely football against group stage quality opposition. Should have been on TV. Those are the sort of games people need to see to grow the league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Another great occasion last night, great to see so many dads with their kids at the game. Is Jack Byrne now the best footballer Ireland have, he was excellent last night his range of passing is outstanding and when he goes on a run his centre of gravity and the way he shields the ball from opponents is almost Hazard like. Carr was better last night. Joey O Brien also excellent. i think we can score over there and not just from set pieces but they will be much improved. The noise from the South Stand for some of the games this season has been incredible and again when we went one down the fans really got behind the team. There is a growing maturity in the group deffo have a chance of a draw against the black and reds in a few weeks.
    No Jack Byrne is not the best player Ireland have.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Do you think Jack Byrne is better than McGrath from Dundalk?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    That's not even a conversation worth having. McGrath is a very good player but he's more a Ronan Finn (currently) than a Jack Byrne, he does the simple things very well but he's not going to be in a position where he's being crowded by 5 players and manages to keep the ball and get out and switch the play, those moments of magic are what make Jack Jack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Jack Byrne would be in the 1st 11 in any LoI side! He is undoubtedly one of the best midfielders in the league, the best at what he does even. Is he better than Chris Shields at breaking up play well probably not but then its a horses for courses debate. I dont think KR meant the best midfielder that Ireland ie RoI international side have but it's a valid debate on his merits within a league context.

On the game in Oriel Wednesday in all the years of going to games I don't think I have heard a roar like it when Hoban scored!! Considering the restricted attendance and how open Oriel is it was remarkable and an incredible atmosphere overall. I dont know why, there have been bigger crowds and equally big goals scored that where a hige relief eg O'Donnells opener v Cork last day of the season, but for some reason the place really erupted and cannot be exaggerated. People not at the game have commented on knowing Dundalk scored hearing the roar over the town. I dont know if it came across on Eir but looking back at the game in Oriel this morning for the first time, Azerbaijani clip on youtube and it gives an idea. A decent enclosed ground with an additional couple of thousand people and the ears would still be ringing today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdJPyiBlP9Q

It was a ropey first half, that typical early soft goal conceded by LoI in Europe that Ive rattled on about came to pass (Rovers conceded very early too but it was far from a clanger). I'd love to know what VP said at half time as we were a different side second half. We got lucky on an occasion early in the game yet generally there is a feeling that we could have taken a lead in to the second leg. We had a few passangers especially 1st half and they need to step up next week - once again we are saying that this Dundalk side have yet to put in a complete performance with everyone firing on all cylinders. Benson is getting no luck with injuries but Murray had an excellent game. Perth showed again that he isnt afraid to mix things up with McEleney getting the shepards hook for a subpar perfromance - he is one chap that has a big point to prove next week imo as e cant have been happy with his own performance. The Azerbaijanis as meantioned previously have serious pace and can cut inside and out with ease - even Gannon was left looking dizzy a few times, but we will have learned a lot while also keeping the tie alive. Their energy level went off the cliff in the last 20 mins which we can exploit. A lot of the comments under the youtube clip (using google translate's rough guidance) were on how long it took for their manager to freshen midfield up. Zoubir and Almeida stood out as their real dangermen down our right so I can see Mountney comming in to assist Gannon there but tbh I think Kelly starting and have his pace force their left sided players to sit deeper is the better option I think. Hopefullt Benson is fit to be in the squad but Murray looked more than capable to deputise.

It was a great perfromance from Rovers and again showed a steeliness that wasnt always there in the past to play themselves back in to a game after going behind. There's a real opportunity there now. Hopefully both sides progress now (with EL games for Dundalk to come if need be) and should be the minimum expectation and performances from our league sides - progress a round and be in the mix for the second tie. The likes of Derry have the potential for a third side to also do the league proud in future seasons, Pats have a squad that on paper could also improve on this year. Its certainly been generally a more positive couple of days of European action.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    The Dundalk and Rovers games were scarily similar, only difference was Rovers seemed to settle a bit earlier and as a result scored the extra goal. Huge tasks ahead of both teams but encouraging performances even more so than the results.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Not been mentioned yet but the officials were brutal last night, wouldn't look out of place among our own officials they were that bad.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    He must be - any chap without a first name is obviously inferior.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    That's not even a conversation worth having. McGrath is a very good player but he's more a Ronan Finn (currently) than a Jack Byrne, he does the simple things very well but he's not going to be in a position where he's being crowded by 5 players and manages to keep the ball and get out and switch the play, those moments of magic are what make Jack Jack.
    I've seen McGrath do exactly that!

They are both excellent players and I would find it hard to choose between them. Byrne probably has the edge as his dead ball delivery is a very potent weapon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I would say Jack Byrne is the better player, more all around, and as mentioned before his delivery is excellent. Both had fine games this week, it could be argued that McGrath possibly fared better given Qarabag are a fair step above Limassol.

What’s not in question is McGrath’s improvement, his strength on the ball and his build is no comparison to the player that joined a few seasons ago. He was desperately unlucky not to start the Cup Final last season, however he changed the game when he did, replacing Mountney, it was his ball that set up Gannon for McEleney to score.

Byrne has not impressed v Dundalk this season, possibly v Bohs also, but he has impressed in Europe, has been involved in all of their goals I think so far?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    What struck me about Rovers and Dundalk before them is that both sides started poorly enough, but finished the stronger. Usually it's the LOI team that gets worked out as the game goes on, nice to see it happening the other way round.

Seemed to be fitter in both games too, which I didn't expect.
    This is a good point and 10 years ago it would have been the complete opposite. As I said before after 20 misn ro so I would Qarbag would have been out of sight by HT, granted they missed a good few chances, but huge credit to Dundalk for sticking with them, then the recovery and finally finishing the stronger side.

I only saw last 30 mins or so from Rovers, they apepared to be well in control to see out the game.

Away ties will be different, for both the heat will be a factor, I think worse for Rovers as they kick off at 8pm, v 9pm for Dundalk, I also heard Qarabag have an artifical pitch, which is interesting.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    How are Qarabag a fair step above Limassol. It obviouly hard to judge since they havn't played each other and aren't in the same league but their european records are fairly similar, both regualrs in group stages and get some decent results against some better known teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    This is a good point and 10 years ago it would have been the complete opposite. As I said before after 20 misn ro so I would Qarbag would have been out of sight by HT, granted they missed a good few chances, but huge credit to Dundalk for sticking with them, then the recovery and finally finishing the stronger side.

I only saw last 30 mins or so from Rovers, they apepared to be well in control to see out the game.

Away ties will be different, for both the heat will be a factor, I think worse for Rovers as they kick off at 8pm, v 9pm for Dundalk, I also heard Qarabag have an artifical pitch, which is interesting.
    Really? Their manager was complaining about playing on an artificial pitch at Oriel before the first leg so I'd be amazed/confused if they turned around and played on an artificial surface.

EDIT: According to UEFA the match is being played in the Dalga Arena and after some digging I found this article which mentions it changed from artificial turf to natural prior to hosting the UEFA u17s Championship in 2016

http://www.affa.az/index.php/news/da...d-photos/57379
    Last edited by ArFella; 26/07/2019 at 4:04 PM.
    Mon the Town!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    How are Qarabag a fair step above Limassol. It obviouly hard to judge since they havn't played each other and aren't in the same league but their european records are fairly similar, both regualrs in group stages and get some decent results against some better known teams.
    It's a hypothetical (and probably irrelevant) debate about the respective quality levels, but the European records are far from similar

According to Bert Kassie

Qarabag current UEFA 5 year ranking is #69 with 19.000 points,
    Limassol are some distance behind at #112 with 11.500

FWIW
    Dundalk are #126 with 8.500 points
    Rovers are #255 with 3.750 points

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert...trank2020.html

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Really? Their manager was complaining about playing on an artificial pitch at Oriel before the first leg so I'd be amazed/confused if they turned around and played on an artificial surface.

EDIT: According to UEFA the match is being played in the Dalga Arena and after some digging I found this article which mentions it changed from artificial turf to natural prior to hosting the UEFA u17s Championship in 2016

http://www.affa.az/index.php/news/da...d-photos/57379
    The ever reliable Wikipedia also lists the surface as "grass"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalga_Arena

Page 55 of 87 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast