Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 50 of 87 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1735

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Excellent second half performance. Duffy and McEleney were both awful. Lost count of how many times, in the first half especially, where Massey made a run out of defence and looked for Duffy to make a move only to almost run into him where he refused to run into space.

They've nothing to fear next week and I hope they go out and give a good account of themselves. I'd fear Qarabag will lift their game significantly for it though. You can tell they have an extra gear in them and they'll be happy enough with 1-1.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    One helluva night in Oriel tonight.Dundalk never gave up and came out with a renewed belief and energy in the 2nd half following a bit of an fw onslaught by Qarabag in the 1st.They're a quality side,some brilliant individual displaaysl from a few of their players.
    But Hoban's goal!
    I had a heart stress test done a couple of weeks ago.(all ok)but jaysus i know now now i'm grand.<3 Love European nights.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Once the first goal went in that was the best result you could have hoped for, leaves it all to play for in the second leg.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Once the first goal went in that was the best result you could have hoped for, leaves it all to play for in the second leg.
    After the sloppy concession of the early goal, most would been delighted to get a draw and it looked very unlikely based on the first half. It's a credit to their belief, determination and ability that the overwhelming feeling at the end was a strong sense of disappointment not to have won the match.

Who knows how the second leg will play out, but it would be foolish to dismiss the possibility of winning the tie. The Dundalk players and management will certainly approach it with more than just hope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Even if Dundalk don't win next week the Slovan Bratislava tie looks very winnable in ELQR3 - Slovan are 2-1 up from last nights qualifier against Feronikeli (Kosovo) and were knocked out of the champions league by Montenegrin champions Sutjestka on penalties. They have a tricky tie in Kosovo next week, but on the basis of last night Dundalk, whatever happens, look like will have a decent campaign no matter what. Big step up from the Riga perfomances I thought in the second half.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    What a game, honestly thought Qarabag would have been out of sight by HT, they were almost playing 5 a side football for periods in the first 45, dreadful goal to give away, no idea what Hoare was thinking of, to be fair he recovered well in the second half. They were def the best side to visit oriel in this era, would love to see them up against an english side, def would rate them top 6 in championship.
    They lost 0-3 and 1-0 to Arsenal in the Europa league last year.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    They were in the UCL groups the season before last and managed to draw both of their games against Atlético Madrid

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Is the Rovers game on Eir sport 1 as well?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Which is what you'd expect from a top 6 championship team! I don't think they're that good, but the best team we've played since Zenit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Is the Rovers game on Eir sport 1 as well?
    No tv coverage.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Hard to compare like for like on that. I watched the 0-3 they were easily dismantled but looked good in the other game. I wouldn't expect a top championship team to lose 3-0 in an fa cup tie or league cup tie though. Anyway they are clearly a good side, and showed Dundalk huge respect in the way they took to the game in the first half.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Yes I remembered that now, but as mentioned by a post after they drew with Atletico M twice the season before, still would like to see how they get on with bigger clubs in the bigger leagues should they make a groups stage this year. In hindsight even though they were excellent in the first half, they could have lost the game if either of those last few chances went in, especially Massey's. If Dundalk play like they did for the second half next week, there is every chance.

SEAND - I was also thinking that on the way home last night, they were the best side we played since Zenit (2016)

Good luck to Rovers tonight.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    It was a very nervy opening to the match by Dundalk, looked like Qarabag were a few levels up and that it would turn into a demolition. But Dundalk managed to settle, keep their calm and create chances (even with their 2 fullbacks having to stay back against tricky wingers). Second half performance was exceptional, far above anything we've seen recently. They showed they could more then match Qarabag and were ultimately unlucky not to win it. Will be a tough second leg but they're in with a chance.

Nervous about tonight, Apollon Limassol are group stage regulars, definitely a level up again from Brann. Hoping we dont give away that all important away goal, but its unlikely given the calibre of the opposition. I just think our only realistic chance will be keeping them to a nil all draw in Tallaght and then taking advantage of away goals in the away leg. 33C in Cyprus today...

Looking like a bigger crowd than last weeks 5,126.
    Last edited by Buller; 25/07/2019 at 11:57 AM.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Just having a look at Qarabags European results the last few years and while they've been group stage regulars they haven't exactly had very many tough qualifying opponents, you've got to wonder was it just a case of Dundalk giving them too much respect in the first half and once they realised they weren't all that they seemed to gain control of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Maybe their most recent results weren't great RH but what you wouldn't have seen on tv compared to those at the match was their movement. They had a man spare on both wings for almost the entire first half, the play maker Almeida was outstanding, as was the no 17, the french lad up front, Zouibir.

Dundalk certainly ripped into them for the second half, definitely the best I have seen from us in a long time, so the quality is there for next week, but you also get the feeling Qarabag have a good bit more quality to turn us over. Still at 1-1 its not over, keep it tight over there (and for more than 4 mins) and the longer that goes on, there is a chance of an away goal.

Rovers need 'something nil' tonight, what I was hoping for last night !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Maybe their most recent results weren't great RH but what you wouldn't have seen on tv compared to those at the match was their movement. They had a man spare on both wings for almost the entire first half, the play maker Almeida was outstanding, as was the no 17, the french lad up front, Zouibir.

Dundalk certainly ripped into them for the second half, definitely the best I have seen from us in a long time, so the quality is there for next week, but you also get the feeling Qarabag have a good bit more quality to turn us over. Still at 1-1 its not over, keep it tight over there (and for more than 4 mins) and the longer that goes on, there is a chance of an away goal.

Rovers need 'something nil' tonight, what I was hoping for last night !
    Obviously they're a good team still but when you hear 5 times in a row group stage participants it sounds a lot more impressive than when you look at how they actually got there and maybe that was in Dundalks head until they saw them and realised they're a good team but not exactly on a completely different level to Dundalk when they play to their potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Best of luck to Shamrock Rovers tonight. There are no easy games at this level but they showed great resilience in the two games of the last tie and were able to produce moments of quality when it counted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    A 0-0 draw would be brilliant for Rovers tonight. Bradley said on OFFTheBall that they will have their spells against Appollon, hopefully they can score at least one. The way Jack Byrne scored so calmly and skillfully the other night gives me hope that he'l have another great game. What crowd are they expecting? 6-7 k would be a great turnout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    No tv coverage.
    As per the irish sun
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...eam-first-leg/

I wonder is any Cypriot channel showing it?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Page 50 of 87 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast