Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    This week is Dundalk on RTE with Pats and Rovers on Eir

Next week Dundalk and Rovers on Eir.
    Eir's listings on Sky have MLS and other stuff down for the Thursday. Hopefully that's just because they haven't got round to updating their schedule yet, but they should get a wriggle on with it!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...e-of-the-post/

I can still remember the miss, from robinson I think, it was harder to miss but somehow he skyed it over the crossbar!

Edit:Hmm i thought i remembered one going off the crossbar when the goal was open
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 09/07/2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Maybe memory fades
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Prepare yourself lads for a months worth of supportive "but they're crap really when you think about it" posts from pauloshea....
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Welcome Kingdom for your sole contribution. Did you watch the game in question or just come on to add some more nonsense? Besides a months a long time in European Football :P
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 09/07/2019 at 10:07 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Dundalk, Rovers and Cork all to go through.

Pats to go out.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts

Pats to go out.
    Id say be our tie will be similar to our games v Odense a few years back. I think we can be competitive in the home leg but fear a hiding in the away game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Welcome Kingdom for your sole contribution. Did you watch the game in question or just come on to add some more nonsense? Besides a months a long time in European Football :P
    I don't want to say "I rest my case", but....

https://foot.ie/search.php?searchid=330

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...e-of-the-post/

I can still remember the miss, from robinson I think, it was harder to miss but somehow he skyed it over the crossbar!

Edit:Hmm i thought i remembered one going off the crossbar when the goal was open
    Hughes put it over the bar with the goal open, Robinson's shot hit the post and went across the face of the goal.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Interesting results tonight were lower seeds outperforming seeded teams.
    AIK were the lowest seeded team but the Armenian team were also ranked very low. AIK have an away goal so i suppose still all to play for.
    While the Macedonian team was seeded, the away win v Estonian opposition will stand to them and should also be a good example of what Irish teams should be aiming for. (edit: apparently Macedonia as a whole is ranked higher than Ireland so :s )
    Great comeback from the Maltese against Lux opposition should give hope to Cork.
    Red Star Belgrade were held 0-0 away from home but against Lithuanian opposition.
    The kosovo teams are still unknown and clearly building their coefficients well but a 2-2 away from home against Welsh powerhouse TNS (both goals in the dying minutes) was also interesting.

Dundalk should be aiming to win tonight
    but also the other teams should be taking heart from the ability of other teams with less of a footballing tradition to do well at this stage.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Important year for the LoI as we've already dropped a place by losing 2014/15, and could drop more places this year.

Luxembourg would have gone ahead of us had Dudelange held on against Valletta. Their manager just jumped ship to the Belgian second tier, taking half their team with them, so I can't see them repeating last year's heroics.

TNS will be kicking themselves for throwing that lead, but Kosovan teams appear half-decent. That said, they're out of the bottom 4 now, which means no more easy points from the pre-qualifying, so while it looks like they'll storm past us, their rise should slow down now. Ditto Gibraltar actually.

Luxembourg, Bosnia, Finland, Malta, Latvia and Armenia are all within touching distance (less than 0.500) of us, Finland and Armenia by virtue of winning their first legs tonight.
    After next year, we lose Dundalk's group stage, and if we haven't replaced it with something similar, we could actually be in real danger of dropping down to the Europa League pre-qualifying.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It's a nerve wrecking spell between now and tomorrow night. I really dont like the unknowns about this Riga side. I think they will be a right handful and it could be a difficult night for us. The ramifications for the club and then the league ranking could be significant. Of course we could bring our A game and cruise the game tomorrow and finish the tie.....just no soft goals just before HT after doing the hard work and no defensive gaffes!! As is always the case we cant be missing sitters expecting a load of chances, we need to make opportunities count. When you consider the headed sitter miss v Rosenborg and Kilduffs sitter off the top of the bar, hitting the post twice in St Petersburg 2016 and Sava's error against the same in Tallaght. 4-5 proper chances to progress further in those years including last 32 of EL. There is all the talk of Drogheda v Kiev etc. Chances just have to be made count and I'm not sure we are firing on all cylinders to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It's a nerve wrecking spell between now and tomorrow night. I really dont like the unknowns about this Riga side. I think they will be a right handful and it could be a difficult night for us. The ramifications for the club and then the league ranking could be significant. Of course we could bring our A game and cruise the game tomorrow and finish the tie.....just no soft goals just before HT after doing the hard work and no defensive gaffes!! As is always the case we cant be missing sitters expecting a load of chances, we need to make opportunities count. When you consider the headed sitter miss v Rosenborg and Kilduffs sitter off the top of the bar, hitting the post twice in St Petersburg 2016 and Sava's error against the same in Tallaght. 4-5 proper chances to progress further in those years including last 32 of EL. There is all the talk of Drogheda v Kiev etc. Chances just have to be made count and I'm not sure we are firing on all cylinders to do that.
    Your captain is always good for a gaffe in European football!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    This Riga team are definitely no mugs, ridiculous amount of internationalists too in their squad, they’ll be well pleased to have drawn us. From our side, this is of course one of the better draws, avoiding the Polish team was key, and a few more, but make no mistake Riga should not be taken lightly, and this could be a lot tighter than some are making out.

Any win will do tonight, and a clean sheet please.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Pats to go out.
    I think Dundalk and Cork will sneek through. Pats and Rovers will go out. Hope i'm wrong on the last 2 though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Best of luck to all clubs in their European ties and to the Irish Universities Women's team in their semi-final this afternoon. You're only Jong unce!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'm really looking forward to catching the Euro games, as always, but I've a gut feeling we're going to do well. It's hard to see Pats turn it on, but I've a snakey feeling Cork will do well.
    Dundalk will qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Dundalk to win.

We are in a 50/50 tie - need a positive result tomorrow night.

A repeat of last years performance might be good enough for Rovers but up against it also.

Pats have no chance.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It's conceivable that all four teams will fall at the first fence, but I suspect that two from Dundalk, Rovers and Cork have a realistic chance of progressing

Dundalk may be marginal favourites to go through, but it is very obvious from listening to Vinny Perth and others within the squad that they fully realise that Riga (with their 12 internationals) represent a big challenge

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that all four Irish sides will be put out in their first round.

Weighing it up, I think Dundalk are the only ones with a chance of progression.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    Your captain is always good for a gaffe in European football!
    Which one? Garts away to St Petersburg wasnt Captain that time, Boyle's handball peno was harsh in the play-off round.

Sava's sliced clearance is the standout one in a close fixture. Ganno concussed in Rosenborg but still should have gone through on away goals when Kilduff clipped the bar from 8 yards - if he'd scuffed it it would would have gone in - small margins!

Page 23 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast