Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belfast Celtic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern...-west-47744605

It's detailed there,all sounds pretty disastrous for Institute.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Here they mention the possibility as well of the Ulster Senior League which would at least give it some teams outside of ****ing Donegal and North East Donegal at that

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/belfast-celtic-league-ireland-move-16121869

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Will they be able to resuurect the Belfast Celtic brand and then in a couple of years buy the Old Co. role of honour?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    with institute in the brandywell is this a permanent move altogether? their old ground was that far on the other side of the river foyle?
    Stute's old ground wasn't technically in Derry, but in the village of Drumahoe - which is right on the city's south-eastern edge, on the road to Belfast. It's fecked, and there's no way they'll be moving back there (The ground that is. Though probably Drumahoe too...)

They're trying to get a ground in a much more central area in the city's Waterside. The site they're keen on is less than 2 miles from the Brandywell, but crucially for them is in the protestant 'half' of the city (the Waterside). Although the demographics continue to shift, so I suspect by the time they do get a new stadium there the Waterside will be majority catholic (it's probably almost there already. The 2021 census will reveal all).

I'll be surprised if they're not still at Brandywell in 5yrs time. They need Stormont funding to help sort a new stadium, and there is no NI Executive in place to allocate that funding - and no sign of it returning. There certainly won't be an Executive until after Brexit is sorted anyway, and that continues to drag on. Even when they do get funding sorted, they'll need time for planning, ground works, building etc.

And even when they do get a new ground, Stute will still struggle to attract many fans. So they'll therefore remain very much the little brother club in the city.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 16/04/2019 at 10:06 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Merge the clubs! You know it makes sense EYG!! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern...-west-47744605

It's detailed there,all sounds pretty disastrous for Institute.
    Thanks hadn't seen this.

This is only twenty odd years too late. Stute should have a nice little stadium in this area already. They pressed on against all common sense and advice to the contrary building the riverside.

There doesn't seem to be any info on this consultation online. Anyone?

The interesting part of the statement is its specifically unspecific - it doesn't mention by name where they played out last season, which is were they should have been these last few decades. Now ordinarily I'd say they're twenty years too late to build here now, as they could never get planning permission there, for something like they had in drumahoe, now. But the vagueness lends itself to speculation that they're eyeing up a site adjacent that may be available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    They're trying to get a ground in a much more central area in the city's Waterside. The site they're keen on is less than 2 miles from the Brandywell, but crucially for them is in the protestant 'half' of the city (the Waterside). Although the demographics continue to shift, so I suspect by the time they do get a new stadium there the Waterside will be majority catholic (it's probably almost there already. The 2021 census will reveal all).
    Catholic majority on Waterside already.
    https://www.londonderrysentinel.co.u...oyle-1-4737478

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Catholic majority on Waterside already.
    https://www.londonderrysentinel.co.u...oyle-1-4737478
    Good find - thanks for that.

There's been a middle-class Catholic influx into the Waterside area of Derry since the last census. Into the former Ebrington ward in particular, which is where Stute hope to move. So there'll definitely be a big chance in the demographics of the area come census night in 2021.

They really do feel like a club which is going to struggle to find a decent fan base and relevance wherever they go. Which is a shame really, as they're a nice wee club. They'll just always be over-shadowed by Derry City. Particularly as the city's population has been used to looking south for its football for over 3 decades now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDMRooney View Post
    Here they mention the possibility as well of the Ulster Senior League which would at least give it some teams outside of ****ing Donegal and North East Donegal at that
    Application confirmed.

It's an interesting approach, not drawing as much attention as an LoI application. Presume they still IFA approval for it, and can't see them getting it.

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/belfa...senior-league/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Application confirmed.

It's an interesting approach, not drawing as much attention as an LoI application. Presume they still IFA approval for it, and can't see them getting it.

I wonder have they realised :

a) That there is no pyramid in the Republic, so no clear route from USL to LOI, and

b) Just how expensive their travel is going to be ?

I wonder what the other USL clubs will think about having their travel costs increased significantly as well ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    It’ll never happen. They might be up for travelling but I’d doubt the Donegal teams will reciprocate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlay Harp View Post
    It’ll never happen. They might be up for travelling but I’d doubt the Donegal teams will reciprocate.
    They'd only be asked to travel within their province. The same thing they do in the other provincial leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    They'd only be asked to travel within their province. The same thing they do in the other provincial leagues.
    Other provincial leagues, the Dublin and district, the cork and district and the we couldn't be arsed.

As was pointed out up the page, it couldn't even be called the Donegal and district. More like the inishowen and swilly league, think that covers everyone bar harps, and not sure teams want to travel as far as ballybo.

They be handier applying to Leinster. Might be able to get to a few games with under two hours travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Its a stupid league anyway where 2 don't care how they do,only 2 can usually win it and there's now only 6 teams in it!
    Harps never play at home in it either ......
    Last edited by joey B; 03/05/2019 at 1:49 AM.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Apparently the current USL teams have given the go-ahead.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Application confirmed.

I don't know specifics but instinctively I would think that the IFA can't stop a football team from playing in whatever league they want. Happy to be corrected but I doubt that power exists.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    I don't know specifics but instinctively I would think that the IFA can't stop a football team from playing in whatever league they want. Happy to be corrected but I doubt that power exists.
    I suspect a phone call to Abbotstown would sort that out (presuming there is anybody there )

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    Under EU Competiition and Constraint of Trade laws they can't.

Even when (if ?) the UK leaves the EU, they'll still be incorporating EU law into UK law and then unpicking the bits they don't like. So in shot - they can't legally be stopped.

I doubt they're that clever or strategic about things, but maybe the USL move is just a rouse to establish the principle of them playing in the south now before Brexit kicks in, in order to make it easier to later transfer to the LOI ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Under EU Competiition and Constraint of Trade laws they can't.

Even when (if ?) the UK leaves the EU, they'll still be incorporating EU law into UK law and then unpicking the bits they don't like. So in shot - they can't legally be stopped.

I doubt they're that clever or strategic about things, but maybe the USL move is just a rouse to establish the principle of them playing in the south now before Brexit kicks in, in order to make it easier to later transfer to the LOI ?
    I'd say that's it alright, USL is just a placeholder and to test the water as regards to quality with two reserve sides in there, no point going to the LOI if Harps and Derry reserves can thump you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123