Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Games 12th -15th April

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    If you are taking the Junior Cert soon, I'd suggest the ordinary level in English comprehension.

For revision, try to figure out the difference between
    "Defender is responsible for the foul - no foul, no penalty"
    and
    "the ref is responsible for making the decisons on penalties"

Ah, now I see. I forgot your original post. If a defender tackles a player near the penalty box its his fault its a penalty. Poor ref cant be expected to get a simple decision right. Do you work for the FAI by any chance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    The sad thing about us being so ****e is that I can't properly enjoy Cork imploding and Dundalk fans already being reduced to arguing with the inhabitants of the aspiring second best pub in Phibsboro/Ireland's premier footballing brand™.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Good to see Dundalk fans have found a new internet rival now that Cork have faded away
    lol That's the first thing I thought having a look back over the thread! Away for a few days and suddenly its Bohs and Dundalk fans going at it ,plastic pitches, El Paso, dump of a ground, diesel and mugging jibes, all thats missing is mutant and 6 toes Suggesting Junior Cert remedial English, players harassing referees, home town refereeing, the whole works lads, fair play!

It was harsh on Bohs, difficult to take (especially for Marino it seems). But the old cliché it happens and over a season will likely balance out. Hopefully against Rovers in the Cup Final next week - I too must now be obsessed with Shamrock Rovers! Nothing at all to do with them having a good gap at the top of the table and needing them to drop points.

It's a slightly worrying run of performances but that 'penalty' and 3 points could well be a key moment in our season even at this early stage. Games in hand aside the gap widening further would really have eroded confidence at Dundalk. This is a bit of a platform to get going again. Now is not the time for Bohs run against Rovers to end. Something will have to give Friday obviously with both Derry and Rover's fine start to the season. I thought Devine's first Derry side played some of the best football from a visiting team to Oriel in a while and he is showing his worth by putting together another good footballing side.

Definitely a difficult time in Turners Cross, hard to know what the best thing to do is there. I think myself it's to keep JC and allow him get back to keeping it tight defensively and build from there but write off the season I suppose.

You can only wonder how Keith Long's Bohs side would be like if the resources were there to go full time. It is probably time to consider it as he has managed to keep his sides competative regardless of the heavy fixture list as semi pro and a young squad, losing players each transfer window too. How much of a gamble is it with the very good chance of European football and the money that goes with - even if thats Shels like thinking circa early noughties. It's not inconcievable that if form doesnt improve at Dundalk and the owners pull the plug on 'the management dream team' that Long would be one of the top targets!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Bradser just to see Ez's reaction

Your not obsessed Nesta.
    I agree that could be a huge result , sometimes winning luckily is better then winning well.
    The gap is nothing , could be all but gone in 9 days....on the other hand if it's still 8 to 10 points Friday week I'm calling it......we will finish within 10 points of dundalk.
    I'm not sure about cork though
    Last edited by sbgawa; 16/04/2019 at 8:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    The night of Friday the 26th will tell us an awful lot about how the season will pan out imo. People should get a few quid on things now as odds could all change especially on relegation matters.

Bradzer wont leave the project even for money bags with a couple of strikers ;p

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    lol That's the first thing I thought having a look back over the thread! Away for a few days and suddenly its Bohs and Dundalk fans going at it ,plastic pitches, El Paso, dump of a ground, diesel and mugging jibes, all thats missing is mutant and 6 toes Suggesting Junior Cert remedial English, players harassing referees, home town refereeing, the whole works lads, fair play!

It was harsh on Bohs, difficult to take (especially for Marino it seems). But the old cliché it happens and over a season will likely balance out. Hopefully against Rovers in the Cup Final next week - I too must now be obsessed with Shamrock Rovers! Nothing at all to do with them having a good gap at the top of the table and needing them to drop points.

It's a slightly worrying run of performances but that 'penalty' and 3 points could well be a key moment in our season even at this early stage. Games in hand aside the gap widening further would really have eroded confidence at Dundalk. This is a bit of a platform to get going again. Now is not the time for Bohs run against Rovers to end. Something will have to give Friday obviously with both Derry and Rover's fine start to the season. I thought Devine's first Derry side played some of the best football from a visiting team to Oriel in a while and he is showing his worth by putting together another good footballing side.

Definitely a difficult time in Turners Cross, hard to know what the best thing to do is there. I think myself it's to keep JC and allow him get back to keeping it tight defensively and build from there but write off the season I suppose.

You can only wonder how Keith Long's Bohs side would be like if the resources were there to go full time. It is probably time to consider it as he has managed to keep his sides competative regardless of the heavy fixture list as semi pro and a young squad, losing players each transfer window too. How much of a gamble is it with the very good chance of European football and the money that goes with - even if thats Shels like thinking circa early noughties. It's not inconcievable that if form doesnt improve at Dundalk and the owners pull the plug on 'the management dream team' that Long would be one of the top targets!!
    Bohs have a budget based on their income and they stick to it. Its spending money you don't have that got chasing european dreams that got them and other teams into trouble. You obviously haven't been around LOI long enough to remember the horror sories of clubs overspending. Download Waterford's accounts last year for example from the CRO and see the losses they made in just 1 season. Totally reliant on their investor's willingness to keep pumping money into the club.

Keith Long is also part time along with the squad and that's one of the reasons he hasn't taken a full time position elsewhere. Would have to give up job, pension benefits etc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Bournemouth were one of a few clubs who wouldn't let their players play for Scotland on the plastic pitch in Kazakhstan in the last international window and a couple of other refused point blank to play on the pitch. Jason Byrne for example hated playing in Dundalk because his knees would be in bits for a few days afterwards.
    Jason Byrne played with Dundalk under Sean Connor on Astro for his home games all season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Bohs have a budget based on their income and they stick to it. Its spending money you don't have that got chasing european dreams that got them and other teams into trouble. You obviously haven't been around LOI long enough to remember the horror sories of clubs overspending. Download Waterford's accounts last year for example from the CRO and see the losses they made in just 1 season. Totally reliant on their investor's willingness to keep pumping money into the club.

Keith Long is also part time along with the squad and that's one of the reasons he hasn't taken a full time position elsewhere. Would have to give up job, pension benefits etc.
    Lol I wish!! I did say consider it, not must do it! There is not a whole lot wrong with directors loans (just ask any Rovers fan) as long as their committment will stick. There is the argument that a semi-pro said is not always that much more expensive as a f/t squad if a club is paying, for example, a players paye as is often a players demand if they have a reasonably well paid day job. I do accept that these days to do things properly full time involves a lot more than training during the day that add to costs like catering/nutrition and the like. I highly doubt that the Bohs board have not looked or consideer the possibility of going f/t and looking for additional external investment on an ongoing basis. Now that it looks that DCC are going to provide a new Dalymount Park for Bohs, that milstone is gone from round the necks and monies that would have needed to be found can be rebudgeted in due course. Crowds are up, league performances and position has isteadily mproved, huge debts are managed. Bohs have lost some good players that would have commanded a proper fee if under a ft contract. It shouldnt be done at any cost but a consideration to kick on? It would be remiss of the club not to have a good look at, especially as a single European qualification these days makes such a difference!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Jason Byrne played with Dundalk under Sean Connor on Astro for his home games all season
    In fairness Byrne at the time did complain that his recovery after a game in Oriel took longer, I think it was probably a mix of him getting older and having to work harder on a faster surface to get on the end of a ball.

Its a well worn topic but as it was brought up earlier (by ned or marino?) Ive played on the old astro type surfaces, rubbish grass bogs and on the Oriel Park surface and I preferred the Oriel surface in comparison. Its a lazy excuse, there is little evidence that it aggrivates injuries any more than a poor grass pitch, people shouldnt still be rattling on about it imo assuming the pitch in question is maintained. Ideally everyone would have a new White Hart Lane like surface where grass and plastic are interchangable depending on weather and sport. If a game like rugby can be played on artificial surfaces at the highest club levels and with little moaning from players, then the level of impact on soccer players is questionable imo!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Good to see Dundalk fans have found a new internet rival now that Cork have faded away
    In years gone by, this would be the major story.

https://twitter.com/dunnocks74/statu...36653846503424

It sad really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

It sad really.
    Jaysus, that doesn't look good.
    You would have to think he is on the way out in the not too distant future.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Jason Byrne had a fairly interesting career, but belonging to Sean Connor's 2009 crazies at Dundalk was not part of it. After struggling with injury and form for Bohs in 2010, Ian Foster signed him for the 2011 season. He started well, but his problematic hamstring problems persisted and he missed a lot of games as the season developed. He moved back to Bray for 2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts

It sad really.

That is pressure guys

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    That is pressure guys
    Absolutely disgraceful from a man who is clearly out of control. remember a similar incident in junior football about ten years ago and the manager was sacked from his voluntary job. Absolutely disgraceful, but will the ref report it or will it be down to social media to put the pressure on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    If you are taking the Junior Cert soon, I'd suggest the ordinary level in English comprehension.

For revision, try to figure out the difference between
    "Defender is responsible for the foul - no foul, no penalty"
    and
    "the ref is responsible for making the decisons on penalties"

perhaps your carer will explain there is no such thing as 'at the box' it is either inside or outside the box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Lol I wish!! I did say consider it, not must do it! There is not a whole lot wrong with directors loans (just ask any Rovers fan) as long as their committment will stick. There is the argument that a semi-pro said is not always that much more expensive as a f/t squad if a club is paying, for example, a players paye as is often a players demand if they have a reasonably well paid day job. I do accept that these days to do things properly full time involves a lot more than training during the day that add to costs like catering/nutrition and the like. I highly doubt that the Bohs board have not looked or consideer the possibility of going f/t and looking for additional external investment on an ongoing basis. Now that it looks that DCC are going to provide a new Dalymount Park for Bohs, that milstone is gone from round the necks and monies that would have needed to be found can be rebudgeted in due course. Crowds are up, league performances and position has isteadily mproved, huge debts are managed. Bohs have lost some good players that would have commanded a proper fee if under a ft contract. It shouldnt be done at any cost but a consideration to kick on? It would be remiss of the club not to have a good look at, especially as a single European qualification these days makes such a difference!
    Wont happen this side of a return to 'New' Dalymount.With a couple of years in the shambolic Tolka to 'look forward' to (club are budgeting for a 30% drop in income) we will not be considering fulltime football. The hope is we can stay in the premier and hopefully then avail of some decent crowds in the new stadium as the impetus to move forward. Until then it is very much a holding pattern.
    Unlike some smaller clubs we maintain our membership owned model (all 100% of it ) might limit our chance of success but has kept us going since 1890.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    What is the capacity in tolka?
    Will it really mean a massive drop in attendances its not like its a huge distance between the grounds , might even be closer for some people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    What is the capacity in tolka?
    Will it really mean a massive drop in attendances its not like its a huge distance between the grounds , might even be closer for some people
    Personally I think the estimated drop is over cautious but it covers things like bar, club sales, franchise income etc. doubt there will be a huge drop in crowds (for some of us its handier ) but better to budget conservatively I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts

It sad really.
    Caulfield's ego must still be bruised after landing him on his ass in Waterford, even one of his own players moving in his direction and he is in to shoving mode! Did he think that Buckley threw a foot in to trip, judging by ones own standards if so!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Absolutely disgraceful from a man who is clearly out of control. remember a similar incident in junior football about ten years ago and the manager was sacked from his voluntary job. Absolutely disgraceful, but will the ref report it or will it be down to social media to put the pressure on?
    I think "absolutely disgraceful" is over the top. I'd be fairly sure this would have gone largely unnoticed in pre-internet days and the world would have gone as normal.

It's just a bit of handbags. Doesn't reflect at all well on Caulfield, but to suggest he should be sacked for it is nonsense.

If I were a Cork fan, I'd be more worried about the complete lack of technical ability shown by the hoof immediately beforehand, even allowing for the state of the pitch

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast