Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Collins D Brentford b.2001

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    I’m sure you’re aware but Wolves are in truly dire financial situation with the FFP rules. Some say worse than Everton. But they have decent assets to sell. Anyway, they’re probably taking offers on everyone given how much they need transfer cash and significant cuts to their wage bill.

(but you look at the moves teams like Chelsea make and it just doesn’t seem to add up…willing investor the difference?)

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    They probably shouldn't have signed 5 midfielders last January

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    They probably shouldn't have signed 5 midfielders last January
    You have a future as their business advisor Razor.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,232 Posts
    They've sold Conor Coady too I see. He was on loan at Everton last season but still, three international centre-backs gone in a week doesn't bode well for them alright.

(Strangely, wiki says Kilman can't now represent Ukraine, where his parents are from, because he's tied to England by virtue of futsal caps)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I’m sure you’re aware but Wolves are in truly dire financial situation with the FFP rules. Some say worse than Everton. But they have decent assets to sell. Anyway, they’re probably taking offers on everyone given how much they need transfer cash and significant cuts to their wage bill.

(but you look at the moves teams like Chelsea make and it just doesn’t seem to add up…willing investor the difference?
    )
    Chelsea are different from Wolves in three respects:
    1. As well as being a "bigger" club all round in revenue terms (commercial, sponsorship, matchday etc), they've also trousered a huge amount of European money;
    2. They have also received surprising amounts of money for young players they've developed, whether from their Academy, or bought on the cheap from elsewhere eg Guehi £18m, Abraham £34m, Zouma £18m profit; Tomori £24m; Loftus-Cheek £15m and, of course, Mount £50m. (Also a big number of lesser players for smaller profits);
    3. The transfer fees for players they have signed recently have been amortised in the books over 6, 7 or 8 year contracts - the equivalent of sticking it on the company credit card.

Of course it could still all go horribly wrong for them if they don't quickly get back to winning ways, including qualifying for the CL etc, so as to recoup their latest outlays. But I wouldn't wish that upon them, would I?

Oh no, not at all, terrible shame and all that...

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Starts today.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    432 Posts
    Good to see him starting. Could see him being the one that drops out initially if Brentford switch to a back four but think he'll get plenty of minutes this season because they use both formations a lot. Fact he's out of what a hot mess Wolves is becoming is the main thing.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    He’ll be disappointed with the goal they’ve just conceded. He’ll argue he was fouled but he was shrugged off a bit too easy and kept his man onside. It was a great delivery in his defence, very hard to defend.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Agree, culpable for the goal. Poor positioning and weak. His defensive frailties remain a concern

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The goal looked like a new boy not yet fully in sync with the rest of the backline. Disappointing but wouldn't be too harsh on him.

On a positive note, it was Collins that broke up a Spurs attack and subsequently showed the composure to set in motion the Brentford attack that led to the penalty decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Was at the game. Collins was decent enough, at least when you consider it was his debut for a new team, in front of another debutant gk, and up against opponents who were clearly up for it, including forcing Brentford into a low block, esp in the 2nd half. (Spurs had 70% possession).

BFC were missing Ben Mee (injured), who certainly would have started if fit. Though I still think NC would have kept his place, since BFC also included Ajer on the left of their back three. Which is strange, since he's predominantly a RB who can also fill in at CB (he's 6ft 5 in). Tbh, Ajer wasn't very good and was eventually replaced by Xanka, who many (most?) Bees fans thought might have started ahead of him anyhow. Funny thing is, Pinnock, who played in the middle of the 3 CB's is left footed and normally plays on that side. But as the senior of the 3 CB's I guess they needed him to anchor the defence, esp when up against Richarlison at No.9.

My guess is that if/when Mee is fit again, Pinnock will revert to Left CB, with Mee in the middle and Collins at Right CB. But if Frank goes 4 at the back, as they sometimes do depending on the opposition, I think Frank's selection may be Hickey (RB), Mee and Pinnock (CB's) and Henry (LB). This would fit in with BFC's ethos of bedding players into the Brentford way gradually, also the fact that both Mee and Pinnock were both outstanding last season.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. About all of that.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    432 Posts
    I'd say you're not far off. They'll likely play four at the back against Fulham with Collins dropping out. When Mee is back will likely be him and Pinnock starting with Collins, Ajer, and Zanka competing for the third spot when playing 3-5-2. Which they did for 17 league games last season going by Transfermarkt.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    I'd say you're not far off. They'll likely play four at the back against Fulham with Collins dropping out. When Mee is back will likely be him and Pinnock starting with Collins, Ajer, and Zanka competing for the third spot when playing 3-5-2. Which they did for 17 league games last season going by Transfermarkt.
    Will they drop their club record transfer signing?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Will they drop their club record transfer signing?
    Their previous record signing was 21 y.o. Schade (£20m) and he's on the sub's bench more often than not, incl Sunday. It looks as though he may be being lined up to replace Toney, who himself replaced Watkins, who in turn had replaced Maupay.

With a very settled ownership and management set-up, including recruitment, BFC operate a medium-long term transfer policy. When Pontus Jansson was running down his career at the club over the last couple of seasons, they signed Ben Mee on a free as an experienced replacement who could slot in in his place (also captain the side). And while Mee was outstanding last season, playing 37 of 38 PL games, fact is he'll be 34 in September.

I'd say NC is being groomed as Mee's successor, to be introduced to the starting XI as and when it suits both him and the team. When completely ready, he'll likely play alongside 30 y.o. Pinnock for another 2 or 3 seasons, before he (Pinnock) is phased out and/or NC is sold for a profit.

Which is not to say they cannot be flexible i.e. if NC develops quicker than expected, they'll throw him in sooner, while if it takes longer than expected, then he'll get the time he needs..

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Wasn't at the game, but by all accounts, NC was excellent in Brentford's 3-0 victory at Fulham y'day.

Notwithstanding what I wrote in the previous post, Thomas Frank is not one for favourites/reputations etc, meaning more performances from NC like this and Ben Mee might just find it hard enough to get back into the team again when fit?

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    I know Premier League clubs throw cash around like confetti these days, but it's rare that such money is spent on a player and they don't start games. The only way Brentford have a chance of getting a nice profit on Nathan Collins in a couple of years is if he is playing and playing well.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    I know Premier League clubs throw cash around like confetti these days, but it's rare that such money is spent on a player and they don't start games. The only way Brentford have a chance of getting a nice profit on Nathan Collins in a couple of years is if he is playing and playing well.
    No harm, but I think you're getting away ahead of yourself.

NC was 22 in April. BFC signed him on a six year contract, with a further two year option. Everything about that club is medium-long term, at least when it comes to recruitment. And even if they know they'll always be a selling club, ultimately the club exists to win football games, not sell players. And while Ben Mee will be 34 next month, Ethan Pinnock is still only 30 y.o., so the club is ok for CB's for another bit. All of which means the club has plenty of time to bed NC in. If it happens sooner than expected, great. But if it takes longer, then so be it.

Either way, since players generally reach their peak in their mid-20's, that is also when their sale value peaks. Meaning that unless someone comes in with a mad Caciedo-type offer for NC, then on those grounds alone, BFC won't be thinking of selling him for maybe another 3 or 4 years. Equally importantly, they run their finances so well (net profit in each of their last two PL seasons, I reckon), they don't need to sell him anytime soon, especially with Raya just gone to Arsenal for £30m and Toney liable to go for double that(?), if/when they decide to sell him.

Finally, BFC aren't just known for spotting talent early in the transfer market, they also develop them very well while at the club, so NC is in a very good place right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Collins was very good. Was playing at the right side of a back three -- and seemed more restrained than usual in terms of pushing forward. Made one very good last-man-back slide to save what would have been a sure goal. Had a couple of sloppy passes but overall seemed a steadier performance defensively than the first match.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Collins was very good. Was playing at the right side of a back three -- and seemed more restrained than usual in terms of pushing forward. Made one very good last-man-back slide to save what would have been a sure goal. Had a couple of sloppy passes but overall seemed a steadier performance defensively than the first match.
    They played a back four against Fulham. Which bodes well for Collins that Thomas Frank dropped Ajer and preferred Collins to partner Pinnock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    They played a back four against Fulham. Which bodes well for Collins that Thomas Frank dropped Ajer and preferred Collins to partner Pinnock.
    That was what the pre-game lineup showed (four at the back), but it seemed pretty clear to me for large portions of the match that it was in practice a back three.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast