Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Nathan Collins (D Burnley b.2001)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts
    The only players who I think have really developed at Burnley over the last few years since they came back up are keepers (Heaton, Pope), centre halves (Keane, Tarkowski) and Dwight McNeil (winger). Guys like Hendrick and Brady regressed under Dyche. Or at least, they became better Burnley players but worse footballers.

With that in mind, a centre half is probably the only Irish player I’d be happy going to burnley. Obviously the track record isn’t perfect either, as people have mentioned with Gibson signing for 15m, then a club record and playing a total of 1 league game across 2 seasons for the club before returning on loan to the championship last season. Plus, both Dunne and Long never really got the opportunities they deserved (due to the quality of Tarkowski, Keane and Mee)

They might sell Tarkowski but you’ve seen with Hendrick and Brady that they don’t seem adverse to letting players walk. Could see Tarkowski replacing White at Brighton or going to West Ham.

I’d be slightly surprised if Liverpool sell Phillips, given Klopp’s comments that all of Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip might not be ready to start the season. He’s basically Liverpool’s 5th centre half and I think it’s certainly likely that they go with 5, given there’s a good chance that at least one has injury issues that linger... Shane Duffy would certainly fit the Nat Phillips mold, wins everything in the air, good tackler, not the most mobile or quick, good defensive instincts. Duffy is a better long range passer, Phillips maybe short range.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    943 Posts
    Starts at home to Norwich. And I think that represents his first Premiership appearance too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Yes, it's his EPL debut. Ben Mee out today. Clean sheet in the first half anyway.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,718 Posts
    193rd Irish player to appear in the Premier League!
    (note - not including him. Or him. Or him)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Sounds like he had a good game. Albeit the standard likely won't have been any higher than a number of Championship games he has played in before now.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Sounds like he had a good game. Albeit the standard likely won't have been any higher than a number of Championship games he has played in before now.
    Off today's showing that's where Burnley will be next season, still haven't won a game this season. If you're having trouble sleeping tonight then this game should help.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    They always seem to find at least three teams worse than them over the course of the season. I think Norwich and Watford will go straight back down - if they do they'd just need to be ahead of one more team and there are three or four candidates that they can get ahead of.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    193rd Irish player to appear in the Premier League!
    (note - not including him. Or him. Or him)
    Is there a list of the 193 players anywhere? The Premier League website lists 180 Irish players but I know some have the wrong nationality listed. Just wondering who the other 13 are. Some that should be Irish but don't seem to be on the EPL website are

Mike Milligan
    Scott Fitzgerald
    Liam Daish
    Lee Power
    Andy Turner
    Will Keane
    Stephen Baker
    Jim Crawford
    Danny Boxall
    Rob Quinn

That would leave three more that I can't work out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,718 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Is there a list of the 193 players anywhere? The Premier League website lists 180 Irish players but I know some have the wrong nationality listed. Just wondering who the other 13 are. Some that should be Irish but don't seem to be on the EPL website are

Mike Milligan
    Scott Fitzgerald
    Liam Daish
    Lee Power
    Andy Turner
    Will Keane
    Stephen Baker
    Jim Crawford
    Danny Boxall
    Rob Quinn

That would leave three more that I can't work out?
    David McDonald - listed as English. despite being born in Dublin, and having U21 and B caps for Ireland - https://www.premierleague.com/player...onald/overview
    Matthew Rush - - listed as English, despite having u21 Ireland caps - https://www.premierleague.com/player...Rush/overview#!
    Joe Sheerin - actually not sure about this one, he played about a minute of Premier League football, as a sub for Chelsea. He's described as having being "tipped as future Republic of Ireland striker" here: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/pla...ball-1.1307780
    but I don't think he ever played international football, at any level, for anyone. I have no idea how I got his name either
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/10/2021 at 11:26 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

10. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Seems to have impressed the vast majority of fans with his performance. Talk of his assurance, reading of the game and parallels with Michael Keane.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/message...hp?f=2&t=57433

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    David McDonald - listed as English. despite being born in Dublin, and having U21 and B caps for Ireland - https://www.premierleague.com/player...onald/overview
    Matthew Rush - - listed as English, despite having u21 Ireland caps - https://www.premierleague.com/player...Rush/overview#!
    Joe Sheerin - actually not sure about this one, he played about a minute of Premier League football, as a sub for Chelsea. He's described as having being "tipped as future Republic of Ireland striker" here: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/pla...ball-1.1307780
    but I don't think he ever played international football, at any level, for anyone. I have no idea how I got his name either
    Thanks. Yes McDonald and Rush are legit, both capped for Ireland and nobody else. I'm not sure I would include Sheerin, he never played for us or was called up as far as I know. There are a few more like Darren Sheridan (John's brother), Marc Tierney (his brother Paul player for us) and Richard Stearman who would be in a similar position to Sheerin, certainly eligible and linked to us but never called up or capped, so I think too much of a stretch to classify them as Irish players. I'd say 192 is the best number to use then after Collins' appearance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Liam Daish….
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678