Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Collins D Brentford b.2001

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    I'm wouldn't be quite as confident about that. It has to be remembered that Burnley were one of the poorest sides in the PL last season and Collins didn't become a regular for them until March.

If one of the clubs he's been linked with (ie Leicester/Wolves etc) signs him I'd imagine he'd be likely to start, especially given the mooted outlay involved.

I absolutely believe that he has every attribute required to be a top centre-back at one of the blue-chip clubs within the next few years, I just think there's another stage involved before he gets there.
    Yes but when he did become a regular he was almost immediately nominated for Premiership player of the month. I think he will end up going to a mid Premiership club but I just wouldnt rule out his capability to set up to a big club already

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Burnley have just bought Northern Irish CB Daniel Ballard for £2 million from Arsenal. They're in massive financial trouble with Nick Pope just gone to Newcastle for a paltry £10m. Looks to me like Collins is on the way out.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I suggest that foot.ie buy Nathan Collins and loan him out, South American Style ~ ~ Perfect opportunity for Bielsa’s Irish to prove his bone fides. I only want 10% for this tremendous idea.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Burnley have just bought Northern Irish CB Daniel Ballard for £2 million from Arsenal. They're in massive financial trouble with Nick Pope just gone to Newcastle for a paltry £10m. Looks to me like Collins is on the way out.
    pope only had a year left on his contract i think , couple that with relegation and theres not much hope of getting a decent fee from a pl club. they have the leverage.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    pope only had a year left on his contract i think , couple that with relegation and theres not much hope of getting a decent fee from a pl club. they have the leverage.
    Pope has always looked a good traditional style goalkeeper to me ~ ~ I don’t know too much about his distribution / ball foot work, because you wouldn’t have seen too much of that at Burnley. I like big / calm / assured looking goalkeepers and Not Jordan Pickford style goalkeeping. Not saying Pickford doesn’t have some good points but, calming down his defence certainly isn’t one of them.

As a goalkeeper Pope could have 5 years or more left in him so it does seem a good deal for Newcastle. Are prices getting a bit more sensible at the moment ~ ~ Below the upper echelons anyway ?
    Last edited by seanfhear; 24/06/2022 at 10:20 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Pope at £10 million seems cheap to me.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    I'm wouldn't be quite as confident about that. It has to be remembered that Burnley were one of the poorest sides in the PL last season and Collins didn't become a regular for them until March.

If one of the clubs he's been linked with (ie Leicester/Wolves etc) signs him I'd imagine he'd be likely to start, especially given the mooted outlay involved.

I absolutely believe that he has every attribute required to be a top centre-back at one of the blue-chip clubs within the next few years, I just think there's another stage involved before he gets there.
    In fairness, for Burnley, he was competing against their best player (Tarkowski) and their captain (Mee) for 2 slots - and not bringing him into the fold earlier is probably what cost Dyche his job.

What I've seen of him in recent months indicates he'd go into chelsea's team. Honestly I'd have him over every centre half they have: Thiago Silva (37), Malang Sarr, Trevor Chalobah, Levi Colwill - it's not an impressive list. They lost Rudiger and Christiansen this summer, having sold Timori, Guehi and Zouma last summer. If they were to bring Collins in as one of two additions, I'd be confident he'd be playing regularly

11. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    You're right, he had only one year left on his deal, but Burnley had the right to extend his contract for an additional season. Burnley need to raise £75m this summer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Ballard to Burnley seems to have fallen through; the Norn Iron international is now linked with Sunderland. So Burnley will probably start the season with Collins and Long as the CB pairing.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    They’ve agreed a fee to sign Irish Centre half Luke McNally from Oxford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    In fairness, for Burnley, he was competing against their best player (Tarkowski) and their captain (Mee) for 2 slots - and not bringing him into the fold earlier is probably what cost Dyche his job.

What I've seen of him in recent months indicates he'd go into chelsea's team. Honestly I'd have him over every centre half they have: Thiago Silva (37), Malang Sarr, Trevor Chalobah, Levi Colwill - it's not an impressive list. They lost Rudiger and Christiansen this summer, having sold Timori, Guehi and Zouma last summer. If they were to bring Collins in as one of two additions, I'd be confident he'd be playing regularly
    Speaking as someone who saw pretty much every game Levi Colwill played fpr Huddersfield last season, he's a future England international, possible captain. He is absolutely fantastic. At least as good as Collins, I would say. And I think Collins is phenomenal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Wolves supposed to be the expected destination for Collins now,20.5 million the supposed fee…
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 11/07/2022 at 4:35 PM. Reason: embedded tweet
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

18. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That'd be a very sensible move for him I think. Slight step up from 12 months ago and a chance to show what he can do in a passing team who have a habit of selling on to the big clubs.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That'd be a very sensible move for him I think. Slight step up from 12 months ago and a chance to show what he can do in a passing team who have a habit of selling on to the big clubs.
    Bang on. And at just over 20m pound, if he does attract interest from a bigger/better side then Wolves will still get a good return on that and someone would double their money for them if he ever did reach the top 6 level.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

Collins to Wolves confirmed
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/07/2022 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Embedded tweet

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Solid move, happy to see. Robbie Keane still the highest irish transfer fee? Adjusting for inflation of course which isn’t done traditionally when considering transfers fees

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Duff still the highest adjusting for inflation. Collins the highest if you don't take that into account.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I guess those rumours of a contractual relegation clause must have had something in them; £20m seems inordinately cheap for a player of Collins' potential. There can't be many better young centre-backs in Europe right now. His goal against Ukraine showed exceptional ability.

There are very few risks involved in signing a player who's only going to get better, and it wouldn't be hugely surprising to see him move on for double Wolves' initial outlay in a couple of years' time.

Seems like a great piece of business.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    The reports are that there was no clause. Plenty of clubs took a look but it seems only one made a bid in the end. Burnley's relegation will have contributed also but at the same time - and in know it's a bit of a cliche - but you can't help feel that if he was an up and coming English player he would have gone for a lot more.

Even yesterday Keane Lewis-Potter's transfer was a bigger news story in the British football media despite him having never played in the Premier League and Collins being a senior international - but then Lewis-Potter has England Under 21 caps. Will be interesting to see what level both players are at in three years time.

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    I expect the 20M means more to Burnley now than a potential 40M in a few years. Their need may have surpressed the price a little. Still, how many players of any calibre or age move from the Championship for that kind of money? Transfer fees are crazy, but you can't pay €100M for everyone!

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast