Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Collins D Brentford b.2001

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Yep agree showed his inexperience/naivety today, may have hurt some of his potential immediate prem options. Part of me wonders whether a solid year in the championship would do him good vs jumping on board with a mid/lower tier prem team as long as he has the promise of first team football. A bigger team is risky as he will unlikely be a sure starter
    Yeah because no other CB ever makes a mistake…1 error doesn’t suddenly mean he’s a naive player just like 1 great moment doesn’t make him a top defender…

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He has made a few mistakes in the several games I watched him in, in keeping with his inexperience/natural naivety given his age. Also, his exciting forward thinking style of play will always come at a risk, which I’m happy taking. This is expected, don’t get too offended by my post. For me, it confirms that he’s not ready for top 4, where I think will be his ultimate destination. Needs another year at mid/lower tier premiership, I was just wondering on the possibility of a few months of championship football as an alternative. Obviously, I’d like to see him get a reasonable prem move, as long as he is guarantee first team football
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 22/05/2022 at 10:23 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see if they cash in on him now or hang on for a year. Tarkowski is definitely gone, he played his last match for Burnley today. Cornet has a 17.5m pound release clause so he'll be leaving for sure as well. I think it is likely that they sell Nick Pope and Dwight McNeil, leaving Collins as the only other valuable player under contract. Kevin Long spent a decade on the bench before starting the last three matches of the season and there's a decent chance we see Collins/Long as their CB partnership in the Championship next season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if they cash in on him now or hang on for a year. Tarkowski is definitely gone, he played his last match for Burnley today. Cornet has a 17.5m pound release clause so he'll be leaving for sure as well. I think it is likely that they sell Nick Pope and Dwight McNeil, leaving Collins as the only other valuable player under contract. Kevin Long spent a decade on the bench before starting the last three matches of the season and there's a decent chance we see Collins/Long as their CB partnership in the Championship next season.
    Collins might have to be sold too, if not this summer then perhaps in January, if revenue falls. According to Bristol Live today, "When purchasing the (Burnley) club in December 2020, the American investors (ALK Capital) took out a £65m loan with MSD Holdings - a fellow American investment firm....- to complete the transaction. The amount was due to be repaid by 2025 but as Burnley’s accounts reported earlier this month, the financing carried a clause that if they were to become a Championship side - as now has transpired - a significant amount would have to be repaid by the end of this season".
    Given their 'goals against' records in 21/22, perhaps Everton, Southampton and Leeds would be interested. Yes, he is raw and naive, but the potential is there.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    You'd imagine with parachute payments giving them a good chance to bounce straight back to the Premier, they'd be trying to minimise the squad disruption over pre-season?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Unfortunately due to their relegation and a crazy clause in their takeover, they now need to pay back a loan of £65 million right away, eating a good chunk of that parachute money. They also have an aging squad. I think Burnley could be a sinking ship for the next couple of years.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    The clause in their takeover is due to it being a leveraged takeover, ala Glazers and Man United. It's madness that these sort of club purchases are allowed. Especially for Premier League clubs, who'd have no shortage of suitors.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    you'd certainly imagine Cornet, McNeill, Collins and Pope will be wanted by Premier League clubs. Cornet has a £17.5m release clause. I'd expect the other 3 would fetch easily £20m each and potentially above £30m. You sell those lads, you add the parachute money and you've got about £50-60m to replace your 5 best players (Tarkowski also gone).

It's a **** situation to be in - and it really shouldn't be allowed - but it's not insurmountable. A little bit like what Newcastle did in 2017, where they sold Wijnaldum to Liverpool, Sissoko to Spurs, Townsend to Palace, Cabella to Marseille etc etc - took in about £90m and then spent 50-60m building a side capable of winning the championship

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Yeah because no other CB ever makes a mistake…1 error doesn’t suddenly mean he’s a naive player just like 1 great moment doesn’t make him a top defender…
    Consider also that Pope came out and completely fluffed his lines, flapped at the ball sending it directly to a Newcastle player's head. That player would have had a clean header into a wide empty space in goal. Yes Collin who wasn't even yellow carded shouldn't have handled it but it was Pope who was about 90% responsible for the mess that transpired.
    The overly forensic negative comments on Irish players playing in the English leagues has brought down this board from very decent to being repetitively tiresome and not worth the visit and I am far from being a airhead cheerleader.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    Could be a load of ****e but some talk Leeds and Newcastle are possibly interested.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    This seems to have come from Sky's Pete O'Rourke, who's a pretty credible source.

I'm not surprised; he looked so impressive when finally given a chance at Burnley, both in and out of possession, and at 21 there can't be many young central defenders around as accomplished and with such great potential.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 27/05/2022 at 6:55 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    If Newcastle are genuinely interested he should give it strong consideration. He's got the potential to play at the very top in England and Newcastle have the investment needed to get there. Jump on that train early and make a few quid in the process.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    would love him at Arsenal.. fits their profile too of looking for young up and coming talent

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I think Arsenal look down their noses at Irish talent these days. For years they should have bought Shay Given, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think they never would have gone for Shay based on their distribution expectations. He was one of the best shot stoppers/reflex goalkeepers of his era, but when it came to distribution, I don’t know that it was his strong point. I do think there are times in this era when a keeper’s distribution is overvalued relative to the fundamentals of the job (stopping shots), but I suspect that was Wenger’s calculus.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think they never would have gone for Shay based on their distribution expectations. He was one of the best shot stoppers/reflex goalkeepers of his era, but when it came to distribution, I don’t know that it was his strong point. I do think there are times in this era when a keeper’s distribution is overvalued relative to the fundamentals of the job (stopping shots), but I suspect that was Wenger’s calculus.
    I reckon Dracula would be happier with a crucifix at his feet that Shay Given with a ball at his feet ( for distribution ) ! !

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Maybe I'm guilty of recency bias but is it not the last few years that distribution became a big consideration for keepers? I do not remember Lehmann or Seaman being particularly comfortable with the ball at their feet. My overriding memory of Seaman with the ball is his kick from the hands.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    This old Chelsea scouting report on Newcastle identified Given as "highly inconsistent" and "inconsistent under crosses". It says he gave away a lot of chances via second balls, which I take to mean his saves didn't always deflect the ball somewhere safe. Maybe at that level he just wasn't quite as good as we think. Or maybe André Villas-Boas didn't know what he was talking about. Who knows?
    https://www.slideshare.net/valeriyfo...couting-report

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    This old Chelsea scouting report on Newcastle identified Given as "highly inconsistent" and "inconsistent under crosses". It says he gave away a lot of chances via second balls, which I take to mean his saves didn't always deflect the ball somewhere safe. Maybe at that level he just wasn't quite as good as we think. Or maybe André Villas-Boas didn't know what he was talking about. Who knows?
    https://www.slideshare.net/valeriyfo...couting-report
    I tend to think Villas-Boas was spoofing here, or just got Given all wrong. I’m pretty sure in this same season Given was named in the Premier League team of the season!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Fairly easy one to check - and you're right

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005...Premier_League

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast