Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Collins D Brentford b.2001

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    The only players who I think have really developed at Burnley over the last few years since they came back up are keepers (Heaton, Pope), centre halves (Keane, Tarkowski) and Dwight McNeil (winger). Guys like Hendrick and Brady regressed under Dyche. Or at least, they became better Burnley players but worse footballers.

With that in mind, a centre half is probably the only Irish player I’d be happy going to burnley. Obviously the track record isn’t perfect either, as people have mentioned with Gibson signing for 15m, then a club record and playing a total of 1 league game across 2 seasons for the club before returning on loan to the championship last season. Plus, both Dunne and Long never really got the opportunities they deserved (due to the quality of Tarkowski, Keane and Mee)

They might sell Tarkowski but you’ve seen with Hendrick and Brady that they don’t seem adverse to letting players walk. Could see Tarkowski replacing White at Brighton or going to West Ham.

I’d be slightly surprised if Liverpool sell Phillips, given Klopp’s comments that all of Van Dijk, Gomez and Matip might not be ready to start the season. He’s basically Liverpool’s 5th centre half and I think it’s certainly likely that they go with 5, given there’s a good chance that at least one has injury issues that linger... Shane Duffy would certainly fit the Nat Phillips mold, wins everything in the air, good tackler, not the most mobile or quick, good defensive instincts. Duffy is a better long range passer, Phillips maybe short range.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Starts at home to Norwich. And I think that represents his first Premiership appearance too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Yes, it's his EPL debut. Ben Mee out today. Clean sheet in the first half anyway.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    193rd Irish player to appear in the Premier League!
    (note - not including him. Or him. Or him)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Sounds like he had a good game. Albeit the standard likely won't have been any higher than a number of Championship games he has played in before now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Sounds like he had a good game. Albeit the standard likely won't have been any higher than a number of Championship games he has played in before now.
    Off today's showing that's where Burnley will be next season, still haven't won a game this season. If you're having trouble sleeping tonight then this game should help.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    They always seem to find at least three teams worse than them over the course of the season. I think Norwich and Watford will go straight back down - if they do they'd just need to be ahead of one more team and there are three or four candidates that they can get ahead of.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    193rd Irish player to appear in the Premier League!
    (note - not including him. Or him. Or him)
    Is there a list of the 193 players anywhere? The Premier League website lists 180 Irish players but I know some have the wrong nationality listed. Just wondering who the other 13 are. Some that should be Irish but don't seem to be on the EPL website are

Mike Milligan
    Scott Fitzgerald
    Liam Daish
    Lee Power
    Andy Turner
    Will Keane
    Stephen Baker
    Jim Crawford
    Danny Boxall
    Rob Quinn

That would leave three more that I can't work out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Is there a list of the 193 players anywhere? The Premier League website lists 180 Irish players but I know some have the wrong nationality listed. Just wondering who the other 13 are. Some that should be Irish but don't seem to be on the EPL website are

Mike Milligan
    Scott Fitzgerald
    Liam Daish
    Lee Power
    Andy Turner
    Will Keane
    Stephen Baker
    Jim Crawford
    Danny Boxall
    Rob Quinn

That would leave three more that I can't work out?
    David McDonald - listed as English. despite being born in Dublin, and having U21 and B caps for Ireland - https://www.premierleague.com/player...onald/overview
    Matthew Rush - - listed as English, despite having u21 Ireland caps - https://www.premierleague.com/player...Rush/overview#!
    Joe Sheerin - actually not sure about this one, he played about a minute of Premier League football, as a sub for Chelsea. He's described as having being "tipped as future Republic of Ireland striker" here: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/pla...ball-1.1307780
    but I don't think he ever played international football, at any level, for anyone. I have no idea how I got his name either
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/10/2021 at 11:26 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

10. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Seems to have impressed the vast majority of fans with his performance. Talk of his assurance, reading of the game and parallels with Michael Keane.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/message...hp?f=2&t=57433

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    David McDonald - listed as English. despite being born in Dublin, and having U21 and B caps for Ireland - https://www.premierleague.com/player...onald/overview
    Matthew Rush - - listed as English, despite having u21 Ireland caps - https://www.premierleague.com/player...Rush/overview#!
    Joe Sheerin - actually not sure about this one, he played about a minute of Premier League football, as a sub for Chelsea. He's described as having being "tipped as future Republic of Ireland striker" here: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/pla...ball-1.1307780
    but I don't think he ever played international football, at any level, for anyone. I have no idea how I got his name either
    Thanks. Yes McDonald and Rush are legit, both capped for Ireland and nobody else. I'm not sure I would include Sheerin, he never played for us or was called up as far as I know. There are a few more like Darren Sheridan (John's brother), Marc Tierney (his brother Paul player for us) and Richard Stearman who would be in a similar position to Sheerin, certainly eligible and linked to us but never called up or capped, so I think too much of a stretch to classify them as Irish players. I'd say 192 is the best number to use then after Collins' appearance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Liam Daish….
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Excellent performance by him tonight against the guile and trickery of Jiminez and Hwang and pace of Traore. Looked so accomplished and constantly leading the line. Absolutely love O’Shea, however this lad defensively looks a cut above. Blessed with all three, however will be interesting to see who of the pair and Omobamidele rise highest.

Burnley fans seem suitably impressed - two games and their only two clean sheets of the season - don’t seem to be missing Tarkowski…

https://www.uptheclarets.com/message...hp?f=2&t=57883

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    His performance summary is here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MancIrishWolf View Post
    Excellent performance by him tonight against the guile and trickery of Jiminez and Hwang and pace of Traore. Looked so accomplished and constantly leading the line. Absolutely love O’Shea, however this lad defensively looks a cut above. Blessed with all three, however will be interesting to see who of the pair and Omobamidele rise highest.

Burnley fans seem suitably impressed - two games and their only two clean sheets of the season - don’t seem to be missing Tarkowski…

https://www.uptheclarets.com/message...hp?f=2&t=57883
    Be great to see both rise to the absolute top level.

I think we've been pretty hard on our young striking talent, and there's plenty of time for them to come right, even if we're impatient.

We've smashing goalkeeping talent..

One or maybe two decent creative midfielders.. oh what would we give for them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I can see Oshea as holding mid. Good feet and accurate passing range composed on.the ball too

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Be great to see both rise to the absolute top level.

I think we've been pretty hard on our young striking talent, and there's plenty of time for them to come right, even if we're impatient.

We've smashing goalkeeping talent..

One or maybe two decent creative midfielders.. oh what would we give for them.
    Think Collins has the talent to rise to the top level and thought a top club might have come in for him and loaned him out. Once Tarkowski leaves and he goes in at first choice you'll have top clubs eyeing him up in a few seasons.

O'Shea has more experience than Omobamidele and West Brom haven't looked the same in defence since he's missing, but think Omobamidele could go further than him.

Don't think he'll reach top level like Collins, who I think could start for a league winning team if he continues the way he is. But look at Nathan Ake, starting for a team that got relegated and was picked up by City as a squad player.

All three though I feel will be Premier League regulars, and along with Bazunu, Travers, and Kelleher I think we'll be well stocked at GK and CB with top quality players. Dunne just seems to be getting better and better with QPR and McGuinness is learning his trade with Cardiff but should find himself up at the top end of the championship in time.

Just need some FBs to appear from somewhere now but feels like lads coming through are more suited to the WB role or more comfortable given most teams play it. Danny McNamara, Peter Kioso, Ryan Manning, Joel Bagan all playing for teams that use 3 or 5 at the back. Ebosele has played mostly RB or RW, reminds me of Ogbene but better technically and should have a better end product than him. They've already got the same number of league goals in England.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Lee O'Connor is still only 21 and looked great vs Sweden U21s.

Collins is getting great accolades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Baba Adeeko at Wigan, 18 years old, getting rave reviews for his appearances to date in a defensive midfielder role. A Galway man.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Re the Number of Irish Premier League players discussion…….Brian Carey? (Just read his name in another article….totally forgot about him TBH)

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast