Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 2019 Toulon Tournament

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Good performance again with such a changed side. Faded in second half. Idah showed great hold up and link play in the bit he was on for. Masterson class again hopefully gets good move. Connolly had awful attitude when he came on nearly cost us game at the end and woeful peno. Thought Carroll done well in midfield for a lad who has been centre half alot for us
    Agree, Idah looked a different player. Noticed Connolly to be very lippy to opposition, ref and his own players throughout the tournament, was bad when he came on. Masterson deserves a good club and a chance

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Kearns also comes out of the game with credit. As mentioned, positive performances from Scales, Idah and Taylor and most of the first teamers. Wilson didn’t look particularly fit or sharp to me. Possibly the lack of games over the last 6 weeks wasn’t easy.

If I was Ruud Dokter or Stephen Kenny, or whoever would have the authority to make or influence these decisions at the FAI, I’d look at trying to get an U20 side going from September similar to the U18s.

If you look at the 21s squad, there’s probably a limited number of slots left up for grabs, then imagine you have Mandroiu, Ferrugia, Clarke, Travers, Obafemi and Parrott all to come in.

Meanwhile you’ve got the most talented group of 19s in a generation all graduating, all those 2000 kids have nowhere really to go until the next campaign u21 campaign in 2 years.

The likes of Bolger, Maher, Lyons, Afolabi, Reghba, Roache, O’Farrell, Doherty, Kavanagh, McAuley, James, Clarke, Kilkenny, Caffrey, Tee (etc etc etc - hard to come up with names off the top of my head)...

But I feel you want to keep these guys involved with the international setup to keep a continuity going for the 00/01 u21 campaign

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Even with the much changed side, we stayed competitive with a far more experienced Mexican team, and could have won it with Taylor's late chance - although I think even if he had kept it down, the defender in front of him would have blocked it. Penalties are always a harsh way to decide anything, and I think the retake unnerved Leahy. His performance overall in the tournament was positive though.

Ronan, Connolly, Molumby, and O'Connor all come out of this looking extremely promising. You'd expect to see each of them in the Premier League next season, except maybe O'Connor.

I was disappointed with Kelleher. He made some good catches, without making any good saves, if that makes sense. Despite his reputation, I didn't see any good passes or control from him either.

If I'm being extremely critical, we still struggled to score goals, despite Connolly and Idah's performances. We only scored once after the first game.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Kearns also comes out of the game with credit. As mentioned, positive performances from Scales, Idah and Taylor and most of the first teamers. Wilson didn’t look particularly fit or sharp to me. Possibly the lack of games over the last 6 weeks wasn’t easy.

If I was Ruud Dokter or Stephen Kenny, or whoever would have the authority to make or influence these decisions at the FAI, I’d look at trying to get an U20 side going from September similar to the U18s.

If you look at the 21s squad, there’s probably a limited number of slots left up for grabs, then imagine you have Mandroiu, Ferrugia, Clarke, Travers, Obafemi and Parrott all to come in.

Meanwhile you’ve got the most talented group of 19s in a generation all graduating, all those 2000 kids have nowhere really to go until the next campaign u21 campaign in 2 years.

The likes of Bolger, Maher, Lyons, Afolabi, Reghba, Roache, O’Farrell, Doherty, Kavanagh, McAuley, James, Clarke, Kilkenny, Caffrey, Tee (etc etc etc - hard to come up with names off the top of my head)...

But I feel you want to keep these guys involved with the international setup to keep a continuity going for the 00/01 u21 campaign
    Agree with this. We need to do everything we can to give players opportunities to help develop them a d put them in the shop window given how limited aour playing pool is. For instance I have loved that Kenny has given Masterson lots of game time to give him best chance of getting exposure especially given his severe lack of football this season given his injuries

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Molumby named fourth best player at the tournament
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    How does this work? Was he identified as the best player for the fourth team or have they identified 3 other lads?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Molumby named fourth best player at the tournament
    How great is that? There was top guys who play week in week out across the elite European leagues and our acamedy lad from Waterford is there wirh them. Fair play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    How does this work? Was he identified as the best player for the fourth team or have they identified 3 other lads?
    Yeah, two Brazilian players and one of the Japanese team are the top three, so Molumby was determined to be better than any third-placed Mexican player!
    Can't find it on the actual website, but it's on their facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/TournoiMaur...72694076229427
    the winner, Douglas Luiz has played in the Primera Liga for the past two seasons
    second place Lyanco is with Torino, but played on loan with Bologna last season
    Ao Tanaka, who was third, is with Kawasaki Frontale, who've won the J-League for the last two seasons
    Meanwhile Molumby has missed about 18 months of football, and hasn't made his league debut yet. It's some achievement

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Brilliant stuff. I'm sure Potter is taking note. He is also younger than the other 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Thread locked and archived

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789