Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Toulon Tournament

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Defensively, Kelleher, O’Shea and Masterson were all very good as you’d expect. Masterson is better on the ball I think. O’Shea is a more physical unit. Good partnership. O’Connor was much improved from Luxembourg - looked comfortable out there. Leahy is probably the weak link there - would have him behind Clarke and Wilson at left back.

I felt the midfield allowed themselves to be dominated at times during the first half, maybe it was the heat or going 2-0 up so fast, but they were much improved in the second and overall came out with serious credit.

Idah took his penalties well but struggled otherwise. Didn’t hold up the ball like he can, never really got at the centre backs. Connolly did well but feels like he’s a 9 playing out of position and Elbouzedi was very lively

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Ireland top Group C on goal difference after Mexico beat Bahrain 2-0, both goals coming in the first ten minutes. Basically, the group decider is on Thursday evening at 7:30
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    9 of the starting 11 have been raised in Ireland so have come through our football system from the beginning. Coventry with an Irish mother and Ronan with a rejection of England are the only two that haven't.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Well I think we can say with certainty that Taylor has no league 1 experience. Think we should hold all our managers to the same standards. Noel king was portrayed as a buffoon which was unfair
    Note that Taylor was not parachuted straight into the starting line-up.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Note that Taylor was not parachuted straight into the starting line-up.
    Noted

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    9 of the starting 11 have been raised in Ireland so have come through our football system from the beginning. Coventry with an Irish mother and Ronan with a rejection of England are the only two that haven't.
    It's great to see. I would say 5 or 6 of that team could go on to have v good pro careers

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Defensively, Kelleher, O’Shea and Masterson were all very good as you’d expect. Masterson is better on the ball I think. O’Shea is a more physical unit. Good partnership. O’Connor was much improved from Luxembourg - looked comfortable out there. Leahy is probably the weak link there - would have him behind Clarke and Wilson at left back.

I felt the midfield allowed themselves to be dominated at times during the first half, maybe it was the heat or going 2-0 up so fast, but they were much improved in the second and overall came out with serious credit.

Idah took his penalties well but struggled otherwise. Didn’t hold up the ball like he can, never really got at the centre backs. Connolly did well but feels like he’s a 9 playing out of position and Elbouzedi was very lively
    I was disappointed in Kelleher. good save with feet at a crucial time but I'm not sure he was convincing in the incident that led to Masterson clearing off the line and his late flap and miss at at a routine cross was alarmingly bad in my opinion. Having expected so much due to his reputation I was very underwhelmed.

I agree with you on Idah. Looks a fine athlete but snatches and misses at chances a bit too much in the times I've seen him play.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Idah is young and has time. The fact he's even holding his own at this level at his age is positive. But he has work to do.

On the other hand, Connolly looked awesome playing out of his position. That was a great blistering run so early in the game for the assist. And he took his goal well. Potter put faith in Daniel James and Oli McBurnie this season at Swansea. Let's hope he makes Connolly a £10m+ player too.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    It's amazing to see what Kenny has done in a short period of time with this side. They haven't played superpowers and Mexico will likely be the first big test. But he's done some really positive things that we wouldn't have seen previous to him 1) he's blooded players from age groups below that are seriously hot prospects for that level (under 19 players like Idah, Connolly, O'Connor, Coventry) 2) he's afforded LOI players opportunities to prove themselves at this level (Scales, Farrugia, Elbouzedi and the decision to pick a home-based squad early on) and 3) he has the team playing a fast and fluid variation on 4-3-3.

Even if we do get thumped by Mexico, those three things stand up to scrutiny as being for the betterment of Irish football even in the face of a loss.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I was disappointed in Kelleher. good save with feet at a crucial time but I'm not sure he was convincing in the incident that led to Masterson clearing off the line and his late flap and miss at at a routine cross was alarmingly bad in my opinion. Having expected so much due to his reputation I was very underwhelmed.

I agree with you on Idah. Looks a fine athlete but snatches and misses at chances a bit too much in the times I've seen him play.
    Agree totally on Kelleher. Thought he was very poor when called upon. Flapped at a couple of crosses and didn't look overly commanding.

Let's hope it was just a hangover of sorts..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Who was the lad playing number 8? He really needs to take it down a notch or ten. Yes, the marking for the Chinese goal was poor but seriously, there's no need to give your team-mates PTSD with your reaction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    That was Molumby. Thought he covered every blade of grass on the pitch

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    That was Molumby. Thought he covered every blade of grass on the pitch
    You're not far off: https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status...659403264?s=19

Again, I'm liking the FAI Twitter page these days. They've committed to having someone focusing on following the squads at senior and underage level and providing content that is relatively interesting in this day and age.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Amazing to think he's only 19. Not to mind our plethora of teenage strikers, we have a few crackers in the centre of midfield- Connell, Coventry, Knight, Hodge and Molumby all look great options at 6 and 8.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Amazing to think he's only 19. Not to mind our plethora of teenage strikers, we have a few crackers in the centre of midfield- Connell, Coventry, Knight, Hodge and Molumby all look great options at 6 and 8.
    Aaron Bolger deserves to be in that list. He was absolutely immense for the 19s in Russia.

As for Molumby, if he didn't miss a year and a half with a series of truly horrific knee injuries, I think he'd have a chance of being a Brighton regular and a full international...

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Aaron Bolger deserves to be in that list. He was absolutely immense for the 19s in Russia.

As for Molumby, if he didn't miss a year and a half with a series of truly horrific knee injuries, I think he'd have a chance of being a Brighton regular and a full international...
    Agreed totally on both fronts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Connell is wide left, no?

I'm generally sceptical of U19s being blooded at U21. I appreciate Toulon is an exception.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Connell is wide left, no?

I'm generally sceptical of U19s being blooded at U21. I appreciate Toulon is an exception.
    Centre mid I'm almost certain. He's left legged so he's filled in at left back for us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    He's played centre-mid, left-mid and left back for Bolton this season. As far as I can remember, his first start for Bolton was at left-back.

There's obviously a level of versatility there but he's certainly not an out and out winger. He likes a tackle, he's composed on the ball, fast enough to carry the ball but not lightning quick and he's a decent passer of the ball - my guess in the long run he ends up in centre-midfield.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast