Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: How do the Gardai become involved in taking protest banners from fans

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

How do the Gardai become involved in taking protest banners from fans

Just looking at the footage of the Gardai taking the Deleaney out flag. What is the process for getting them to enforce this. If i was the ranking in charge officer at Turners Cross i would be thinking no way are my personnel going to interfere with a legitimate protest. If however it becomes a public safety issue then we will deal with it as it happens. Do club officals or FAI officals give the cops a list of proscribed issues with instructions to the ranking officer in charge that that such banners be removed. If this is the case its a no win situation for the kops. i know what i would say if i was the ranking officer in charge, "none of our business as long as its a peaceful protest and if any stewards interfere they will be asked to stop and move away.
    Last edited by Kingswood Rover; 13/04/2019 at 3:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    I seen somewhere and I've no idea if it's true but they said a female steward was assaulted and that was pretext they used to act, again I have no idea if it's true and would be a handy excuse for them to use......

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    mmm, well then they should be telling the stewards not to antagonize the situation and my original question should be what do the FAI and Clubs instruct stewards to do. Any stewards on here can they please shed some light on the process???

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    That a female steward was assaulted is a complete fabrication.
    Still can't quite believe the heavy-handed approach by security and gardai.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    The gardai and stewards in cork are always, always antagonistic clowns to away fans, it's nearly impossible to enjoy a trip down there.

Could just be a case of the home fans coming across these heroes because they had left the shed?

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Even the small things like people standing on seats was treated as if they had a gun in there hand, one lad was removed from the ground(or the section anyway) for persistently standing on the seats. It was just so poorly handled, it was a peaceful protest and would've never been made out as more than that if it wasn't for stewards and gardai on their power-trip.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Maybe the Guards were on yere side - it's made the whole thing way more media friendly

If Delaney buggers off, how quickly would the shed be renamed?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Maybe the Guards were on yere side - it's made the whole thing way more media friendly

If Delaney buggers off, how quickly would the shed be renamed?
    Before that the shed feens can take Delaney off the out banner and rename it Caulfield😊

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I seen somewhere and I've no idea if it's true but they said a female steward was assaulted and that was pretext they used to act, again I have no idea if it's true and would be a handy excuse for them to use......
    Even if that was the case - how would confiscating someone's personal property, that was uninvolved in an alleged assault, be deemed an appropriate response to an allegation of assault ?

Surely it was the person accused of the assault that should have been removed - and not a banner ?

The whole thing sounds like bullsh!t made up to cover the fact the Gards were acting well beyond their powers here (and not for the first time in Ireland either). If I lived in the south I'd be genuinely concerned that, after all the various scandals and enquiries regarding the Gards in recent years, they still seem to do whatever the hell they want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Even if that was the case - how would confiscating someone's personal property, that was uninvolved in an alleged assault, be deemed an appropriate response to an allegation of assault ?

Surely it was the person accused of the assault that should have been removed - and not a banner ?

The whole thing sounds like bullsh!t made up to cover the fact the Gards were acting well beyond their powers here (and not for the first time in Ireland either). If I lived in the south I'd be genuinely concerned that, after all the various scandals and enquiries regarding the Gards in recent years, they still seem to do whatever the hell they want.
    It’s Ireland. It’s AGS. Caught out exceeding their powers and going Rambo at a “foreign game” match.
    Make up an excuse and stick to it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The gardai and stewards in cork are always, always antagonistic clowns to away fans, it's nearly impossible to enjoy a trip down there.

Could just be a case of the home fans coming across these heroes because they had left the shed?
    With Respect that does not answer my question. i acknowledge that there have been complaints from away supporters in Turners Cross. i was down at the our recent match and the stewarding and policing when i arrived was friendly and respectful.

The original question re what instructions Gardai and or stewards are given around how they deal with Protest banners is still no clearer.
    Last edited by Kingswood Rover; 14/04/2019 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    My apologies.

I had no idea that this forum and indeed my good self exist solely to answer your questions.

I was just taking the opportunity to get in a dig at the away arrangements in turners which are always terrible for Limerick. Luckily wont have to worry about them for the next decade probably but thats a seperate issue.

On the incident itself ive two pet theories:

1. Hes a politician so the whole thing was orchestrated.

Or

2. Hes a provo sinn fein politician so he ran afoul of some third generation gobdaw heavy gang remember the good old days type sergeant.

Both possibilities

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I'd suspect that the event controller issues instruction to stewards and the Gardaí then assist if necessary especially with their legal ability to remove/arrest/search individuals. It was a shocking display Friday night, as we subsequently found out there were no grounds to remove anyone. Common sense, as in Sligo, should have been to leave well enough alone in what was a pretty benign protes banner. It'd be slightly different if there was something on a banner that was in some way slanderous but 'X' out doesnt fit the bill. I'd wonder if it wasnt a TD that bore the brunt would he have been let back in to the ground and have the club investigate and clear up the issue so quickly. It does imply the fear that clubs may have had in doing or allowing things that would be frowned upon by the former FAI CEO and possible consequences eg affecting grant applications.

The Garda reaction has some irony as more often than not they are super slow to respond to genuinely serious incidents!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    As football grounds are private property (unless there is a threat to public order) it s for the club to decide on any protest/demonstration. I know the FAIlures have 'expressed' a view that anti Delaney protests should not be allowed but not sure how strongly the club wanted that enforced.
    AGS generally don't need much encouragement to 'wade in' so if CCFC policy was too discourage protest it may have gotten out of hand. for whatever reason, it certainly backfired on those seeking to quell protest.