Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Games 5th/6th April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Stadium isn't all covered. Roof doesn't go full length About 60% of the Donie Forde, 40% of the St Anne's aren't covered. Both our biggest stands.

But yes, we've a big floating fan base. 2.5k is about the hard-core. Anything above that is a bonus based of context.
    Is that much really uncovered ? I still think it would be considered 'mostly covered'. The one thing that surprised me was why they didn't go the whole length when the Donie Forde was built, there is a far gap you don't realise when watching on tv, the bit between where it ends at the St Anne's stand. Its still an excellent ground.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Shout out to the little Derry scumbags who tried to rob our flags. Hardy bucks. His excuse was that it was only a flag. Feel sorry for all the good people who support the club as they have to put up with a load of delinquents when they seem to come to ballybofey. Anyway just we got the flags back and the lads involved ended up having to go back with their tails between their legs. Anyway for the match itself. Typical blood and thunder derby. Full time training paid off with that bit more class in the end, especially the second goal. Harps fought bravely but just wasn't to be. The tackle was a shocker and put us with another mountain to climb. With all his talk this week coll was always going to be at the receiving end of a barrage of abuse but to see him taken away in an ambulance was unfortunate. Anyway on to next week
    havent seen the piece about coll but what was it that he said that was co controversial?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    At the Pats game last night. Pats were set up very well, and their back 4 were sterling throughout. Rhys McCabe was brilliant, and the amount of room he covered, left to right all night, excellent stuff. The last ten minutes were backs to the wall stuff but the roar from the crowd once the final whistle went was great. Always have a great time in Inchicore, hopefully this will propel them onwards and upwards. Didn't mind getting drenched at all!!! (and seen Tom!!)
    saw tom in sligo bus station the day after we played Derry City in the Brandywell. wondering was he at the game too?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Is that much really uncovered ? I still think it would be considered 'mostly covered'. The one thing that surprised me was why they didn't go the whole length when the Donie Forde was built, there is a far gap you don't realise when watching on tv, the bit between where it ends at the St Anne's stand. Its still an excellent ground.
    Yeah, it is. Full bottom half of Donie is empty in rain and a bit more depending on wind direction. Definitely would be nice for it to be fully covered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    To be fair the East Stand in Tallaght is also quite exposed to the rain, but these are tiny complaints most clubs would like to have !

Genuine question, Micls and other Cork fans, thats two games in a row I've seen you and you looked well off the pace (I didn't go to Pats away last night but I heard we were dreadful), but just interested in your view.

Do you think Cork have really declined so bad or is this just a really bad patch, plus do you think its a possibility that you might miss out on europe ? I'm not so sure you will miss out, but you need to start winning big games soon.
    Last edited by oriel; 06/04/2019 at 9:10 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    FT Sligo 0 Bohemian FC 2.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    With the players we lost from last season and the overloaded squad, that lacks quality in my opinion, particularly the options off the bench, I expected to us to fall behind a bit this year, but it's a bit worse than I thought at this point. The football is awful to watch and the man in charge seems a bit clueless when things aren't going out way. Doesn't help when we don't really have a settled starting 11 and our more experienced players aren't performing at the level we've come to expect from them. We're a tough watch most of the times, results are poor, if the current trend continues then attendances will fall quickly. Missing out on Europe would be devastating. If things don't improve, does the board have a tough decision to make?
    Pats next Friday is huge. The fans will want to see a bit of fight from the players, signs that something can still be achieved this season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Thats a great win for Bohs away to the Sligs, setting up nicely for Tues 23rd in Tallaght. probably the most looked forward game for us since Spurs away i am still studying the law of averages

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    That's a fairly honest post there Patrick, it definitely looks a sticky patch you boys are going through.

I noticed one thing last night from TV, your right full challenged for a ball right in front of the Cork bench and he lost possession in the tackle but it deflected back off him for a Rovers throw, Caulfield slaughtered him, used the F word also, I thought that was uncalled for, he should be encouraging them, the lad made a mistake. That's not going to help the players.

Closer to home, I'd be a little concerned now that the players standing in for the injured trio of Shields, Benson and McEleney with the exception of Murray maybe, or not as good as we had hoped for.

EDIT, Bohs winning tonight, must be all the way back to 2011 since these two were 1 and 2 in the league !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Disappointing night tonight.
    Full credit to the Bohs fans who were in the Showgrounds in big numbers and generated lots of noise. Which was just as well with our miserable home support. It actually sounded like Bohs were the home team. It seems the only time our fans react is when they have something to complain about. Not what you would call support.
    I thought we played well until the sending off and did enough on the pitch tonight for the home fans to get behind. The first goal for Bohs was a bit of a fluke and we couldnt muster much after that with 10 men.
    Hard to know where we will pick up any points in the coming games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I still haven't gotten over the Galway PA calling out the score in Liverpool game during play in the game. Fairly cringeworthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    To be fair the East Stand in Tallaght is also quite exposed to the rain, but these are tiny complaints most clubs would like to have !

Genuine question, Micls and other Cork fans, thats two games in a row I've seen you and you looked well off the pace (I didn't go to Pats away last night but I heard we were dreadful), but just interested in your view.

Do you think Cork have really declined so bad or is this just a really bad patch, plus do you think its a possibility that you might miss out on europe ? I'm not so sure you will miss out, but you need to start winning big games soon.
    I think it's a combination really. We are lacking genuine quality in a lot of areas, but we're also completely lacking in any confidence at all. Without that it's hard to see us improving.

Look at the comparison to Bohs. We beat them comfortably in TC, but they're 7 points ahead of us. We totally outplayed Derry but never looked like scoring. We don't have the week to week confidence and consistency.

We were always built on being rock solid defensively and then the goals would come. This season we have been shocking at the back. If that continues, you couldnt be sure about anything.

I wouldn't be getting overly excited about league position or euro spots yet,but April is a huge month. Going into so many games and a pivotal part of the season in the form we're in could be make or break.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I think the obits for cork are a bit premature.
    Bohs dundalk and rovers are playing each other over the next few weeks and cork have a reasonably kind run of fixtures.
    A decent run through April will be vital though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I did not see that win coming at all on Friday, it was a good battling 'we need a win' performance rather than a get the ball down and out play a team performance. It will be hard for the players to replicate that every week.

On Dundalk I assume it was just a bad night at the office but they looked like a shadow of the team they have been the past few season although in saying that Pats usually just folded when we have played them over the past 4 seasons.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Bohs dundalk and rovers are playing each other over the next few weeks and cork have a reasonably kind run of fixtures.
    If you'd been watching us regularly you'd know a league challenge is 100% off the cards. More worried about finding a bit of passion and putting in a couple of decent performances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    That's a fairly honest post there Patrick, it definitely looks a sticky patch you boys are going through.

I noticed one thing last night from TV, your right full challenged for a ball right in front of the Cork bench and he lost possession in the tackle but it deflected back off him for a Rovers throw, Caulfield slaughtered him, used the F word also, I thought that was uncalled for, he should be encouraging them, the lad made a mistake. That's not going to help the players.

Closer to home, I'd be a little concerned now that the players standing in for the injured trio of Shields, Benson and McEleney with the exception of Murray maybe, or not as good as we had hoped for.

EDIT, Bohs winning tonight, must be all the way back to 2011 since these two were 1 and 2 in the league !
    That was the obvious difference on Friday all 3 midfield players for Dundalk were pretty horrendous including Murray.
    After that Flores didn't look like a footballer at all.
    Still think Dundalk will win the league once they get the midfield players back in the team but Rovers look like they'll make a real fight of it.

We set up well and battled hard and for once weren't physically dominated, we got a bit of luck with the goal but it was a great ball in considering the conditions.

Worryingly for me our best performance have been battling shut up shop jobs against last seasons top 2. For me that's not going to work against the teams we need to be beating so whilst its a great result and I really enjoyed the spirit, we still have work to do going forward.

Cork away Friday I'd expect the same se up and performance with chances for both sides few and far between.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Cork are a decent side and I would be surprised if they finish outside Top 4. Far too early to read anything much into the table, great so far for Bohs but unlikely to finish the season second. Dundalk will, as usual, improve as season goes on and I still think Pats have a fine collection of players that will improve as they gel. Winning the League looks to be between Dundalk and Shams, while shams have done very well so far the lack of a decent striker still may haunt them longer term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Things could spiral down for Cork quite quickly if Caulfield doesnt stop the rot. Missing out on Europe and budgeting for an average crowd o circa 4k could mean some serious adjustment in the club budget ould be needed. Caulfield needs to go back to basics, he is as good as any manager at getting the best from a limited and small squad. Get his side defensively sound again and work from there. Cut back the squad if need be also. Its a very quick change from the last 5 seasons with Dundalk and Cork struggling a but albeit with different potential to get closer to the title race. I hate games in hand tbh, its a psychological boost to have a gap at the top and the pressure on those with games in hand to make them count. Ive felt with the injuries that if we are in touch at minimum, when inhured players ome back that we can kick on. With the league format at least, a 10 point gap can be closed without relying on others with having to play another 3 times + win games in hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post

We set up well and battled hard and for once weren't physically dominated, we got a bit of luck with the goal but it was a great ball in considering the conditions.

Worryingly for me our best performance have been battling shut up shop jobs against last seasons top 2. For me that's not going to work against the teams we need to be beating so whilst its a great result and I really enjoyed the spirit, we still have work to do going forward.

Cork away Friday I'd expect the same se up and performance with chances for both sides few and far between.
    Would agree with all of that. Great battling performance on Friday, with some nice ball played at times, but we'going to need to produce more than that against mid ranking teams that we'd be expecting to beat with this squad of players. At least we know there's no lack of commitment from the players though, despite what Stuey Byrne seems to think.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Things could spiral down for Cork quite quickly if Caulfield doesnt stop the rot. Missing out on Europe and budgeting for an average crowd o circa 4k could mean some serious adjustment in the club budget ould be needed. Caulfield needs to go back to basics, he is as good as any manager at getting the best from a limited and small squad. Get his side defensively sound again and work from there. Cut back the squad if need be also. Its a very quick change from the last 5 seasons with Dundalk and Cork struggling a but albeit with different potential to get closer to the title race. I hate games in hand tbh, its a psychological boost to have a gap at the top and the pressure on those with games in hand to make them count. Ive felt with the injuries that if we are in touch at minimum, when inhured players ome back that we can kick on. With the league format at least, a 10 point gap can be closed without relying on others with having to play another 3 times + win games in hand.
    Agree once you get your magnificent three back you’ll most likely be a better team... on the other hand I think we’ll get much much better ( subject to no injuries/suspensions) as we’re only now starting to gel and I think there’s way more to come from our midfield particularly , then again with Bradley at the helm you never know but Green shoots of optimism are starting to sprout - by end April we’ll have a much clearer sense of who the challengers are and who the spoofers are

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast