Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Gardai to allow turbans, hijabs.

  1. #21
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,184
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    305
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,006
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I think a more simple explanation is that people just love having a good whinge online. And that's by no means limited to Ireland.

    I don't think there is a particularly different disposition either, to be honest. I'd say it's just the newness of it all.
    I agree that the primary reason for it is the newness of it all. However I disagree on the disposition point. The question for me is more around the extent of the difference, how significant it is, and how much it comes into play. That there is a difference at all shouldn't be surprising given that Ireland has a very different history and national story in comparison to the vast majority of other 'Western' nations.

    & Disposition is a better term than predisposition.

    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    However, maybe you are right. Politically we are fairly central, and even in terms of media, we are fairly central. The shrill-voiced loons of the left and right that get popular in other countries haven't made much inroads here. I can see a few trying, like Rowan Croft, who is trying to position himself as a lone voice of sanity in a PC-crazy Soros-controlled world, but he's dismissed as the tinfoil hat salesman he is.
    They haven't made the same sort of inroads here because the cultural/social changes that this country has undergone in relatively recent times happened in those other countries a generation or two prior.

    Who's Rowan Croft btw?
    Last edited by The Fly; 12/04/2019 at 5:24 PM.

  2. #22
    International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Limerick for now.
    Posts
    7,244
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,103
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,507
    Thanked in
    824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Who's Rowan Croft btw?
    A guy trying to make a living as Ireland's Alex Jones importing that Qanon stuff*, grafting with youtube videos for patreon donations. Literally told his followers to donate so he could build a shed to allow him to spread the truth.

    *WARNING: Video may kill brain cells.

  3. #23
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,184
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    305
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,006
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Are you not an ‘advocate for multiculturalism’ Fly? Is there an alternative word to ‘diversity’ that’s more palatable for you?
    You'd have to define what you mean by multiculturalism.

    The issue I was indirectly making about diversity, as it relates to multiculturalism, is that people talk about it as if it's axiomatically good. No evidence is provided to support it. That none is asked for makes me think of Pavlov's dog.
    Last edited by The Fly; 12/04/2019 at 9:14 PM.

  4. #24
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    189
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    33
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Let’s go with whatever you think T Sowell meant by multiculturalism, are you an advocate for that?
    Would it be correct to say your position is that you’re not sold on diversity due to lack of evidence that it’s good?
    So we don’t have evidence that welcoming ethnic minorities into the gaurds would be any good? Is that it?

  5. #25
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,184
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    305
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,006
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Let’s go with whatever you think T Sowell meant by multiculturalism, are you an advocate for that?
    Would it be correct to say your position is that you’re not sold on diversity due to lack of evidence that it’s good?
    So we don’t have evidence that welcoming ethnic minorities into the gaurds would be any good? Is that it?
    Mine was a general point in response to pineapple stu's post, not about this story specifically.

    Following on from that it's probably better to broaden this topic about the presence of ethnic minorities in the Gardaí out, to the presence of ethnic minorities in the country as a whole. If that is what you take multiculturalism to mean then you're mistaking the multiracial for the multicultural. They're different things.
    Last edited by The Fly; 12/04/2019 at 10:24 PM.

  6. #26
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    189
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    33
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Isn’t that why ‘diversity’ is such a useful word.It would save you the tedious effort of having to correct the uneducated.Except you’ve a problem with that word so we can’t use it.You can answer the question or hide behind obscure quotes (not obscure to you).Racism dressed up in Sunday best is still racism.The benefits of diversity (sorry) are obvious and self evident to any sensible person, to seek to provide hard evidence would be futile because those demanding it would deny it. Anyway, probably best for you not to answer the question, Hey, there’s a CEO job going in the FAI it might suit you.

  7. #27
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,211
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,459
    Thanked in
    1,842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Isn’t that why ‘diversity’ is such a useful word.It would save you the tedious effort of having to correct the uneducated.Except you’ve a problem with that word so we can’t use it. You can answer the question or hide behind obscure quotes (not obscure to you).Racism dressed up in Sunday best is still racism.The benefits of diversity (sorry) are obvious and self evident to any sensible person, to seek to provide hard evidence would be futile because those demanding it would deny it. Anyway, probably best for you not to answer the question, Hey, there’s a CEO job going in the FAI it might suit you.
    Sowell, the mad racist.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell

  8. #28
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    189
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    33
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    What Stu?a person who’s not white can’t say something that can be interpreted as rascist?Were the black panthers not a little dodge or are you ok with them cos at least they keep to their own?Whats your view on the proposal of ethnic homogeny in Ireland, from your Trump-supporting perspective?Some kind of wall around Templemore maybe?

  9. #29
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,211
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,459
    Thanked in
    1,842 Posts
    I have a post on the first page of this thread that sets it out pretty well I think. Would love to know what you think of my thoughts.

    I wasn’t really getting at his skin colour Fizzer (although it was a little bit of that too ), more that you see fit to reduce the words of someone as thoughtful and admired as Sowell to such a label and not just do a little research into him.

  10. #30
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,184
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    305
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,006
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Isn’t that why ‘diversity’ is such a useful word.It would save you the tedious effort of having to correct the uneducated.Except you’ve a problem with that word so we can’t use it.You can answer the question or hide behind obscure quotes (not obscure to you).Racism dressed up in Sunday best is still racism.The benefits of diversity (sorry) are obvious and self evident to any sensible person, to seek to provide hard evidence would be futile because those demanding it would deny it. Anyway, probably best for you not to answer the question, Hey, there’s a CEO job going in the FAI it might suit you.
    I haven't hidden from anything. I asked you to define what you meant by multiculturalism and you failed to provide an answer. Anyway...it seems from your posts on the subject that you take it to mean the mere presence of different ethnicities, and their accompanying customs and traditions, in a given country. What you're describing here however is a multiracial society; something which I'm more than happy to see exist in Ireland. But it should have one overarching common culture. In other words, it should be a pluralist society.

    By contrast, inherent in multiculturalism is the notion that the host country is some sort of abstract place with no accepted common culture. It accentuates, as opposed to reduces, ethnic differences therefore. Over time the effect is that the different groups within the society end up living in solitudes, leading almost parallel lives.

    Here's a brief introductory reading reference for you on it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_pluralism
    Last edited by The Fly; 14/04/2019 at 3:48 PM. Reason: Fizzer's ego

  11. #31
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    189
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    33
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    No thanks on the ‘introductory reading’ but cheers for the reference.So where are you at? You’re ok with physical differences so long as there is compliance with an ‘overarching common culture’?Can this culture be added to and improved or is it permanently fixed?

  12. #32
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,741
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,669
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,005
    Thanked in
    3,157 Posts
    Can The Fly and Fizzer please stop talking to each other? I keep thinking it's one guy having a personality crisis and arguing with himself.

  13. #33
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    189
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    33
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Yeah fair enough CD,life’s too short.

  14. #34
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    29,744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,275
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,490
    Thanked in
    1,546 Posts
    I think it's more that your avatars are the exact same!

    On your posts - my issue with them is that you don't really have a point of substance I think. You're not offering any reason why to accept your point of view, whereas The Fly has.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Loitering Gardaí
    By dahamsta in forum Current Affairs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01/04/2010, 6:27 PM
  2. Gardai
    By GavinZac in forum Current Affairs
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12/03/2008, 11:18 PM
  3. Gardai and EL fans
    By Roverstillidie in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09/09/2005, 8:21 AM
  4. Gardai on alert for derby
    By A face in forum Bohemians
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15/04/2004, 12:40 PM
  5. Gardaí get Kelly to final
    By Éanna in forum Derry City
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28/10/2002, 11:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •