Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Foot.ie and Kids Soccer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Foot.ie and Kids Soccer

While I'm very grateful to foot.ie for hosting this valuable resource for Kids Soccer and I'm likely to shoot myself in the foot here but there are very few registered members involved with Kids Soccer. This resource is invaluable to share thoughts and ideas on what is a particularly difficult role for coaching staff and while some ideas have been shared and even fixtures organised little else seems to happen here. I would have figured there is plenty to discuss, plenty to organise and plenty to learn from. For me Kids Soccer is the fundamental stage in developing the game.Who knows we might even come up with organising regional or national tournaments.

Above all I'd like to see this particular forum kept well and truly alive. There are plenty of ideas off hand. i.e details of clubs, pictures of facilities, locations, contacts etc.

I find there is so much going on even at club level or within league structures that requires discussion. Just a thought and feel free to add to and share with me that thought.

Brendan Grufferty, PRO
    Drumbar Utd,
    Donegal Town

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I love the idea of traveling around to play games of ball, the problem is that not all people think like me. I would love to bring several of my clubs team to every corner of the land and play football and show off their skills but some of the teams involved will not tralvel from cork to donegal or dublin to Mayo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    I love the idea of traveling around to play games of ball, the problem is that not all people think like me. I would love to bring several of my clubs team to every corner of the land and play football and show off their skills but some of the teams involved will not tralvel from cork to donegal or dublin to Mayo.
    Well i'm of the same thinking but I take your point.The responses to this are not exactly encouraging and that makes it very difficult to organise anything. Jaysus boys if the worst comes to the worst we can organise a wee tournament amongst ourselves. See how it goes and publicise it. Youse know where I am.

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I mean this constructively Harpsbear: I'm seeing "this isn't working" or "this could be better" in your post, but I'm not seeing suggestions as to how to improve it. If you have ideas yourself you should suggest them, otherwise I'm not sure what you expect from people. If you want others to make suggestions, you need to specifically ask them to, i.e. you need to put the question, and not just assume people will guess.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    In the States you could travel 100 miles every other weekend to play a match. They concentrate more on State Cups and mini tournaments than actual leagues. Leagues are local and may only have six or eight teams at each age level and you may play two league matches in one day. Tournaments are organised probably once a month and are a big event.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    I mean this constructively Harpsbear: I'm seeing "this isn't working" or "this could be better" in your post, but I'm not seeing suggestions as to how to improve it. If you have ideas yourself you should suggest them, otherwise I'm not sure what you expect from people. If you want others to make suggestions, you need to specifically ask them to, i.e. you need to put the question, and not just assume people will guess.

adam
    Houl yourself Adam. I've been trying to suggest a few ideas and leaving them open to discussion. This for me is a sharing of ideas and thats it.Ive enough on my plate with Kids Soccer but I cannot underestimate the importance of sharing idea's. I'm not specifically looking for anything. Just people's opinions. I expect nothing from anyone.

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    [Again, I don't want to be seen as attacking, I'm trying to help here.]

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear
    I've been trying to suggest a few ideas and leaving them open to discussion.
    But you haven't Brendan. There are no ideas in the first post in this thread except for very short and offhand list towards the end. The rest is commentary on discussing ideas. This is my point: If you have ideas, let's hear them. If you don't, you need to ask people to put some forward. People on web forums don't respond to generalised commentary, they respond to questions. Discussing the possibility of discussion is what committeeeeees do.

adam

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    i think this forum has huge potential bearing in mind the amount of us here who have an interest in it.

in time it will i'm sure see increased traffic.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Our local league has only recently started facilitating structured games for under 8's whereas our club,Willow Park have been coaching kids as young as 5 for years.
    Therein lies the problem.
    Even the FAI'S kick start programme is new.
    When it is up and running properly most clubs will reap the benefits in terms of develpment of their kids.
    We have an under 8 fun league in progress at the min with no reward re points,league tables,cups etc.
    "tight? he's the kinda guy that eats baked beans on tuesday so's he can have a bubble bath on wednesday"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    [Again, I don't want to be seen as attacking, I'm trying to help here.]

But you haven't Brendan. There are no ideas in the first post in this thread except for very short and offhand list towards the end. The rest is commentary on discussing ideas. This is my point: If you have ideas, let's hear them. If you don't, you need to ask people to put some forward. People on web forums don't respond to generalised commentary, they respond to questions. Discussing the possibility of discussion is what committeeeeees do.

adam
    By no means Adam are you seen to be attacking me and I take your point. Now I just need the questions. My involvement with kids soccer in relatively new at a year and the learning curve is very steep.

As 12th Man says this forum has huge potential even with the limited number of people who contribute here.

But I feel we are going places here so thank you for continuing to host us. Its very much appreciated.

As for the commiteeeees comment.If our Schoolboys could hear 5 minutes of our League meetings they would be disgusted.I'll sooner stick to developing the game on the field.

Thanks anyhow Adam and as I say for keeping this forum going.

Brendan

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

re kids soccer forum

i would think that the majority of members of foot.ie (i'm open to correction) are probably not old enough to have their own kids football playing yet.

but i'm sure there are plenty of people(members of foot.ie) out there with kids who will in the next couple of years be playing football(in a league or similar), and i'm sure as they start to play (the children that is) that you will see this forum blossom into something that will more than justify its existance.

i'll eat my hat if i'm wrong
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 21/04/2005 at 9:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man
    i would think that the majority of members of foot.ie (i'm open to correction) are probably not old enough to have their own kids football playing yet.
    Your not wrong there. In any case while I dont have any kids I work very closely with them for a fair few hours in the week and I imagine there are more like me who give over an awful lot of time for love of the game and to encourage young peoples love of the game.

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I suggest that any of us who want the kids section to grow should advertise this section to like minded people, Tell the managers in your club and any club you play games against. I will be putting a link from my clubs web site to this section, I suggest you should do the same for you own clubs website.

My club site is www.StPaulsArtaneFC.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Well done Derek. I know our club have a website but it hasn't been updated so I will sort that out with Enda to revive it and post it. I think its linked to www.donegaltown.ie but I know our section hasn't been updated in years. Alternatively you will find me at Donegaltimes.com where you'll see us appear in sports sections back through the archives.

Thanks to everyone who has made this forum a success. I'll catch up with ya in due course Derek. If not the proposed competition then otherwise.

Brendan