Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Can you point to a precedent of that happening in response to a protest of this nature Tets? Or can you give another reason why you believe such a penalty might be likely?
    I don't know of any punishment for it, but tennis balls have only been used a few times as a protest, so there's no precedent for it working either.

It was discussed on YBIG, although most of the focus has been on where the story came from in the first place, and more or less agreed that using it as a protest could cause more trouble than it fixes.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 26/03/2019 at 3:29 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I don't know of any punishment for it, but tennis balls have only been used a few times as a protest, so there's no precedent for it working either.

It was discussed on YBIG, although most of the focus has been on where the story came from in the first place, and more or less agreed that using it as a protest could cause more trouble than it fixes.
    If they have been used a few times clearly there is a precedent. It has been used at Dortmund, Nuremberg, Sevilla, Basel, Bolton, Blackpool and Hull.

I can find nothing about fines for any of those clubs never mind points deductions. Different governing bodies obviously but Birmingham City appear to have avoided a points deduction for one of their fans landing a punch on he who must not be named. The idea that one would be applied for chucking a few tennis balls on is out of any proportion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    do you think it would stop in time for them to be cleared for the start of the second half?
    a suggestion I've seen mooted is to stay after the final whistle, and whatever protests goes ahead can happen then, without disruption to the fixture itself.
    I doubt if some tennis balls thrown by one or two people would amount to a clutter problem. Would such an action during the half time period be regarded with the same severity as throwing them onto the pitch during play? It's just a plain question, not a call to arms.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    and if the protest does damage to the association, in the form of a points deduction or a fine, what then?

can you guarantee that no player, official, or member of the coaching setup will come from harm from a tennis ball thrown from the upper tier of a stadium?
    Yes. Its a tennis ball not a cricket ball. Charlton fans had a game stopped after cushions were thrown on the pitch when protesting and they didn't receive a points deduction. Please point out any situation were a points deduction was enforced for a protest.

If you're concerned about the FAI getting fined because of fan protests then you priorities are f**ked up.

Protesting after the match doesn't make sense. Alot of people haves buses/trains to catch and the live coverage has finished. Protesting during the game gets greater coverage and far more embarrassment for Delaney and the FAI

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I still can’t get my head around people actually arguing against protesting. These crooks have been taking advantage of us for years yet our plan seems to be just do nothing and just let them continue. After what happened on Saturday this is the best time possible to protest just to ram home how we feel live on TV, what is doing it at the FAI HQ going to do? No tv coverage ...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Ryan Nugent in the Indo reported that there was a shop in Ringsend with a sign advertising “tennis balls for sale”.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Ryan Nugent in the Indo reported that there was a shop in Ringsend with a sign advertising “tennis balls for sale”.
    Have the Pulitzer prize committee been informed of Ryan's big scoop?

😂

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Have the Pulitzer prize committee been informed of Ryan's big scoop?

Here you go, the Pulitzer Prize entry site

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    BBC R4 & R5 both reporting on the tennis balls protests at the match and explaining the reasons why.
    The Delaney disgrace and news of the tennis balls pitch protest has gone global.

10. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    There we go, I read somewhere on twitter that UEFA are considering fining the FAI. I suggest let’s keep doing this and keep making sure the FAI lose money!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    In 2 of the (quality) photos on a Eurosport asia website article about the protest, there are orange vested stewards in among the fans behind the goal. Is that a common measure? if so what's the justification for that oppressive presence? Usually don't stewards hide away out of view, lurking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    They're usually there, but their numbers were increased last night

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I suppose it's been John Delaney's fault since 1921 ? The trouble with football in Ireland goes far beyond the Governance of the FAI but it's easy to identify a scapegoat and put all the football cares of the world on his shoulders. History has shown us that this is a great panacea for some people. I don't see any John Delaneys in the IFA, FAW and SFA but those national leagues are almost as bad and in some cases worse. A few tennis balls aren't going to solve the problems affecting football in Ireland in a global market. They may result in fines on a cash strapped organisation and even if JD goes, who has the magic wand that can combat the "best league in the world" with wall to wall TV exposure and a GAA club in every parish in Ireland?

I am no fan of JD and some of his behaviour has been asinine but I remember the shambles of an organisation he inherited and there have been many improvements made in many aspects of football in this country. Can further improvements be made? Of course but never expect a league similar to the Dutch or others - it's just never going to happen no matter who is in charge of the FAI. Defeatist ? Probably. Realist ? I think so. That said, no one should hold the post of CEO for more that a specified number of years and it was/is time for him to go.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I suppose it's been John Delaney's fault since 1921 ? The trouble with football in Ireland goes far beyond the Governance of the FAI but it's easy to identify a scapegoat and put all the football cares of the world on his shoulders. History has shown us that this is a great panacea for some people. I don't see any John Delaneys in the IFA, FAW and SFA but those national leagues are almost as bad and in some cases worse. A few tennis balls aren't going to solve the problems affecting football in Ireland in a global market. They may result in fines on a cash strapped organisation and even if JD goes, who has the magic wand that can combat the "best league in the world" with wall to wall TV exposure and a GAA club in every parish in Ireland?

I am no fan of JD and some of his behaviour has been asinine but I remember the shambles of an organisation he inherited and there have been many improvements made in many aspects of football in this country. Can further improvements be made? Of course but never expect a league similar to the Dutch or others - it's just never going to happen no matter who is in charge of the FAI. Defeatist ? Probably. Realist ? I think so. That said, no one should hold the post of CEO for more that a specified number of years and it was/is time for him to go.
    Negativity = realism...

No one is saying the league has to be that level, maybe getting to atleast where the SPL is I don’t think is that crazy a ambition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

When one looks at the UEFA co-efficient ranking the League of Ireland is very obviously underperforming. This is not even a case of the League of Ireland standing still. The Moldovan league is ranked above ours. A country which didn't exist in 1991 never mind 1921. A country with a lower population than us. A country who rank 131st in the world for GDP per Capita. Ireland is 5th.

I'm not going to even be as ambitious as Cathalsmart and point to Scotland who obviously get a huge boost from the performance of one club.

But should we not be able to expect domestic football in Ireland to be as strong as domestic football in places like Bulgaria or Slovakia?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Is there any evidence on the claims that clubs haven't been paid their winning money from last season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    You can't prove a negative. (Unless you expect all the clubs to send you their bank statements since November)

If you were to ask the average person on the street who would you believe Delaney/FAI or Brian Kerr I know what the majority will say.

If you lived in Ireland and had seen the behaviour of the FAI/Delaney over the last few years you'd beleive Brian Kerr too.
    Where do you think I live?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    What tets is doing is protecting this site from a potential legal letter from the FAI over a claim that has no base in evidence, even when requested. The hearsay testimony of someone unrelated to the original claim isn't evidence.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Even the FAI know that a legal letter to the fans ( this forum) is bad PR

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Where do you think I live?
    Somewhere that isn't Ireland. You couldn't be so defensive about Delaney and so condescending about the fans protests if you were a regular at Ireland games and/or LOI games and seen the FAI "in action"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast