Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Georgia - Tuesday, 26th March 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It was 0-0 when he went off against the Germans.
    Thanks Charles I try not to let the details get in the way of my biases!

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I'm not a fan of Whelan and my heart sank when I saw he had been selected, but to be fair that was one of his best performances in a green shirt. He is clearly much more effective and a lot less frustrating when he has movement and energy around him, and Hendrick and Hourihane provided that in a way I didn't anticipate. It was a good shout by Mick given the resources he had available, but not a long term solution foor our midfield.
    I agree Whelan is not a long term solution but he is a stopgap at least while James McCarthy waits to start playing first team football again. I don't think any of Hourihane, Arter or Hendrick have the discipline to play the holding role. Shaun Williams is really the only other ready-made solution to this problem position.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Kilbane put in a good shift at left back at the end of his career and also did a decent job in centre mid alongside Keane under Kerr. He was excellent in there against France in 2005. He could be frustrating at times (that miss from the rebound of Harte's penalty in Suwon against Spain still haunts me) but his contributions were generally positive.

Whelan was asked to do a very restrictive job by two inherently conservative managers which left little scope for him to shine. Being the dedicated pro he is, he did said role effectively and with the minimum of fuss.

Given extra freedom he was a popular Premier league player with Stoke fans for a decade under numerous managers and is now earning plaudits at Villa. His performance last Tuesday was more reflective of that form.

That indicates to me that the reasons he was awful to watch for Ireland for so long were down to the management rather than the player.
    Fair points. But in terms of Whelan's restriction under previous managers, at what point does a player say to himself: "this is not working for me, I need to change what I'm doing in order for the team to get a result." We have all played the game and if plan a or b wasn't working, you tried something else. This idea that Whelan, and it doesn't just apply to him, is too restricted in his role under a certain manager, is valid, but valid only to a certain degree.

But the larger question is - are we all now hanging our hat on Glenn to lead the team to the quarter finals (hopefully) of Euro 2020?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'd just be happy hanging my hat on Glenn to get us to the Euros. A year is a long time in football.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Fair points. But in terms of Whelan's restriction under previous managers, at what point does a player say to himself: "this is not working for me, I need to change what I'm doing in order for the team to get a result."
    At the same point he would accept and sacrifice not being in the next squad if he did decide to do that, under either of those managers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    It's more about having an anchor in midfield, than Glenn Whelan being that anchor. Think a fit James McCarthy can perform that role. Under Trapattoni and MON, the central midfielders were curtailed to sitting in front of the back four, and contributed little beyond covering space. Against Georgia, Hendrick and Hourihane were allowed to be more adventurous while Whelan brought balance and shape.
    But it is good that Whelan is getting praise, and good there is a growing sense of positivity surrounding the team. And happy McCarthy is enthusiastic in approach to using what's available to him rather than lamenting what's not available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    Highlights
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789