Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Georgia - Tuesday, 26th March 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    My Ratings for last night

Randolph - 7: Made 1 smart save in the first half. Little enough to do besides that but does everything you expect of him.
    Coleman - 7: He's lost a yard of pace since the injury. Wasn't even chasing after balls i would have expected him to get on to in years gone by. That said he played well and worked hard.
    Duffy - 7: Never looked troubled by the Georgians. Threat from set pieces.
    Keogh - 6: Mr Dependable. It must be great for any manager to have a player like Keogh. Always solid. I can't remember him ever letting us down.
    Stevens - 5: A 5 is maybe a little harsh, but he wasn't fantastic. Offered a lot less than Coleman on the other flank. Feels like he has a mistake in him.
    Xavi Whelan - 8: I would say he rolled back the years, but i can't remember him playing that well when he was young!
    Hendrick - 7: Just a few signs the Hendrick of 2016 might still be in there somewhere
    Hourihane - 8: Great performance capped by a wonderful goal. I felt like he ran out of steam in the last 15 minutes and maybe should have been taken off.
    Brady - 5: Poor performance. Rightly taken off. Coming back from a long injury so excusable.
    McGoldrick - 9: I want to have his babies
    McClean - 7: As ever he ran around like a stray dog that has wandered into a school playground. More effective in the second half than the first.

National Roads Authority - 2: What gormless idiot decided the night of an international match was a good time to close the northbound bore of the Port Tunnel?
    Last edited by backstothewall; 27/03/2019 at 8:40 AM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

2. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    It was just one of those nights where nothing went in
    It really wasn't though. Their keeper made one save. The same as the Gibraltar keeper. And I think that's the kind of stuff we need to be careful about believing (in as much as it matters a jot at all what random fans on an internet forum think). Yes, it was a big improvement, it was enjoyable, we've 6 points, etc, etc - but let's keep a bit of perspective here is all I'm saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'll have to watch the game back in the cold light of day, but a few things stood out. I enjoy every Ireland game, but that was an enjoyable Ireland performance to watch. Players busted a gut, which is the minimum requirement, but more importantly, they look like they've busted a nut on the training ground too. We bested a team that has dominated us in recent games, by being committed, aggressive and hard-working. I'll take that.

I was unimpressed with the changes in Personnel before kick-off. I'm still unimpressed with the changes in personnel, but the structure of the team is at least improving. It's an obvious one to say that we're lacking a striker, but I think there's more to the problem than simply missing a striker at the peak of the formation (for those who dislike the term "up-top"). We're a lop-sided team.

RB CB CB LB
    --------CM-------
    ---AM AM AM-LM
    ---------CF--------

We have an attacking right back, without the aid of a natural right-sided midfielder on one side, and then on the other side a very solid defensive left-full and a mindless left midfielder. Without the aid of a solid 18 yd box striker, it's still a little higgeldy-piggeldy. It's definitely something that needs rectifying. I still don't think our midfield is functioning correctly. Jeff Hendrick is second to none when it comes to harassing opposing players in their own half and winning possession, but he still looks like he has more to give. I would prefer to see Robbie Brady on the left of a three. Hourihane was good, probably better than he's been for us, but I'd still like to see Alan Browne get a run in the side - not necessarily at Hourihane's expense I might add.

Dave McGoldrick is a very clever footballer. Injuries have probably bested him in terms of getting further up the food chain, but he can be a huge influence for us. He should always have some ahead of him I feel. Whelan gave MON the two fingers.

If you're looking at players who MMcC will believe are mainstays of the team after this series, I'd say it's Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Keogh, Stevens, Whelan, Hendrick, Hourihane and McGoldrick. There are two places up for grabs. Certain calls are going to have to be made on some of the squad options. But what's good is that if you're one of the young players, you're surely looking at the squad and thinking "I've a chance to get in there". I genuinely feel sorry for Matt Doherty. I can't put it any other way. He's not going to dislodge Coleman, who was improved last night from the Gibraltar game, but is a pale shadow of his former self. I think Doherty at right-back - in current form- gives better attacking threat than Seamus.

Finally the protest. I assume it was the 33rd minute for the 33rd team at the world cup comment.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

5. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It really wasn't though. Their keeper made one save. The same as the Gibraltar keeper. And I think that's the kind of stuff we need to be careful about believing (in as much as it matters a jot at all what random fans on an internet forum think). Yes, it was a big improvement, it was enjoyable, we've 6 points, etc, etc - but let's keep a bit of perspective here is all I'm saying.
    Sure only 4 days ago this was apparently a repeat of the MON regime... now we are complaining that we didn’t beat Georgia by more. It’s abit silly for you to tells us to keep perspective yet you seem to have come to a conclusion on the team based on two matches.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    The most frustrating aspect of last nights performance was that you felt these players always had this sort of performance in them. Decent footballers not being told to just sit. Players with ability not left on the bench/out of the squad. Pressing high up the pitch instead of retreating to the edge of our own box.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I Couldnt understand on here how after the Gib game McGoldrick wasnt seen as a shining light in an otherwise uneventful performance. He proved that it wasn't a one off with that performance last night. I'm now hoping for Sheffield United to get promoted and we have 2/3 players starting in the premier league. Mcgoldrick was superb, only thing lacking yesterday was the pace. The prospect of himself and Robinson playing together up front excites me. ANd i dont normally get excited about Irish football

All round great performance. Team played with intensity and never let Georgia settle, Georgians were not expecting that performance from us. 50/50% but for the first 25-30 mins we were 65% possession as we really took it to them.

Only downside was the players tired. We need them to be able do that for 90 and not drop off especially against the Swiss and the Danes. I also loved how we counter attacked, there wasn't any real clinical finishing but I'm sure that will come with time, we're not used to getting into those positions and therefore players don't know what they should do or where they should be. That will gel with time. Mick clearly proving training field exercises work, like attacking in 3's, hourihanes freekick and other set pieces. What did Trap and Mon do?Nothing.

Halfway through the second half I felt really sorry for Glenn Whelan. The lad can actually break up play aggressively, he can pass the ball forward and he can get us on the front foot. Doesn't have the turn into space quick but that can be forgiven. The abuse he has taken because of his last two managers.

Very early days but with the U21s followed by the U19s and now this, things are finally looking up for Irish football. Where are you now Trap and MON?! Irish football has been badly neglected over the last 10 years, because of pessimism and self-serving and self managers.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    We dominated the first 30 minutes because Georgia did not press in our half, they sat back hoping to hold out to ht.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Wasn't there the shot blocked down in the first half when the shooter (can't remember who) might have played someone in instead after Hendrick won it back really well, the offside disallowed one when Coleman (?) was just behind the finisher and not offside, and Egan pulled a shot wide in the second half which he should have been on target from, those off the top of my head. Granted, we weren't opening them up at will or working their keeper lots, but still, we looked a totally different outfit I thought, and an enjoyable one to watch again, finally.
    It was coleman onside for hendricks offside. But would hendrick have been interfering with play even if he left it? ALso who is Egan?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    It’s abit silly for you to tells us to keep perspective yet you seem to have come to a conclusion on the team based on two matches.
    What are you talking about?

All I said at the start of all this was that, for all the positives, we only scored from a set piece. And against Gibraltar, we only scored the once. This ties in with what we already know - i.e. our forward options are probably the worst they've ever been.

You're trying to draw further conclusions that I simply haven't made, and are backing them up with comments that don't stand up to any scrutiny (e.g. it was one of those games where the ball just wouldn't go in - simply not true)

So again - yes, we played much better, didn't stand back after scoring, seemed to have an actual idea what we were doing, have six points with no goals against, etc, etc, but goalscoring is still a legitimate concern.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We dominated the first 30 minutes because Georgia did not press in our half, they sat back hoping to hold out to ht.
    I am not sure, I think they didn't expect us to come out of the blocks like that. We gave them no time and 3 men in triangle formation always pounced on two so they couldn't do their triangular passes around us, as they didn't have the space. Then we sort of backed off towards the end of the first half and they took a bit more control. They were always going to be more aggressive coming into the start of the second half, which they were, but we played the counter attacking game to almost perfect effect, other than being more clinical and players individually taking the selfish/wrong option.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    All I can really do is compare to the last visit from Georgia in 2016:

This game % possession was 49/51 while in the last one it was 43/57. Shots this one were 14/13 and in the last one 10/11. Both ended in a 1-0 win but performance wise it was considerably better than the previous game. We pressed higher and didn't allow them to play. On the other hand they didn't press us and we were much more constructive. So an improvement all round and that's all we can ask for and top of the group. Georgia must hate us with a passion.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I think if we'd played like last night against Gibraltar we would have won by several, but the conditions didn't allow us.

Overall a positive performance but we looked shaky at times and lacking in quality up front. Nice that we played a bit of football and good to see hourihane and Hendrick involved around the opposition final third.

Denmark away will tell us a lot.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Not as much as we hate them

I’m actually optimistic about our campaign now, not just because of the win and the fact we are now top but from experience a happy Irish team is a good Irish team and one the opposition won’t want to face as they know we will throw everything at them. Like I said previously we need to realize that this Danish side is nothing special and going there aiming for a draw will just get us into loads of trouble, go there aiming to win and if we don’t we might still get a draw who knows, we go there aiming to draw and the best we can hope for is a draw and we will most likely lose.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    It was coleman onside for hendricks offside. But would hendrick have been interfering with play even if he left it? ALso who is Egan?
    He meant Stevens? If he'd squared it, it was a tap in for McG

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    You could see from the very start the players were giving McCarthy what he wanted. From the first Georgian kick-out, Robbie Brady manned one corner of the box, James McClean took the other and David McGoldrick pushed right up on the edge of the D.

High line. High pressure. Georgia weren't going to be allowed pass it out from the back. We weren't going to sit back, keep it tight, and surrender possession, as we usually do.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Yeah meant Stevens, get those two mixed up for some reason & re the offside chance we still created a tap in goal chance is my point as you well know Posher. A rare item of late.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    The move that Hendrick had just strayed offside during (it would have been a tight VAR call – he might even have been level with the ball when it was struck?) followed a move of rare fluidity. So nice to see spontaneous interchanges and a through ball finding a wide player in space in the box.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I am not sure, I think they didn't expect us to come out of the blocks like that. We gave them no time and 3 men in triangle formation always pounced on two so they couldn't do their triangular passes around us, as they didn't have the space. Then we sort of backed off towards the end of the first half and they took a bit more control. They were always going to be more aggressive coming into the start of the second half, which they were, but we played the counter attacking game to almost perfect effect, other than being more clinical and players individually taking the selfish/wrong option.
    Have another look and just count the number of times when Whelan got on the ball in our half, with the Georgians voluntarily backing off into their own half, leaving our Glen to freely stroke the forward pass with venom to its intended target. A team with more ambition would have been pouncing on Glen, marking our players, putting on more pressure until the inevitable hoof.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Ah come on. Don't let a tired narrative get in the way of what was clear to everyone at the game. Whelan was class. His positioning precise and use of ball intelligent and/or prudent.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    yep, I think Whelan is a bang average player at best, but he was in fairness very very good yesterday

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast