Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LOI fixtures 22/23 March

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    We definitely won another league game 1-0, I think it was 2016. By contrast, I think Dundalk have only won in Turners Cross once since 2015. Home form is so important.

We haven't looked great, but the Bohs game was a huge improvement. I don't think we're under any illusions, a draw in Oriel would be a great result. But we'll be expecting (hoping for) a win the following week no matter what. If we can't do that, then we're not doing much this year.
    Spot on - Sean Maguire scored a second half penalty to take the points in a 1-0 win in Oriel Park in 2016.

Cork set up ultra defensively that day and came looking for a draw, but naturally were delighted to win with a goal through a questionable penalty, given for a very dubious hand ball against Dane Massey.

I imagine the match next Friday will be typical of the the matches between the sides in recent years. Dundalk's recent form is encouraging with 3 successive clean sheets including the 2-0 away to Derry and 4-0 at home to Waterford.

Cork may have had a very poor start, but have got a string of decent result together in recent weeks. Even if the squad is weaker than last season, the starting team remains dogged and strong.

I'm cautiously optimistic but fully realise that a home win is far from certain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Double Post
    Last edited by oriel; 24/03/2019 at 2:23 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Yes, I remember that now, 2016 game, the peno was scored at the away end I think, 1-0 win for Cork. Its a definite feature of league games between the two since 2014, home wins. Correct also that Dundalk have only won twice since 2015 in TC, I was lucky to have been at both games, and my two only visits also to TC !

I'd agree a home win on Fri is far from certain, Cork have a decent first xi, and Buckley / Morrissey / are very good in the middle, esp the latter, I think after the first xi though this season, the quality is not great with Cork.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Cork may have had a very poor start
    The waterford game was appalling but apart from that I don't think it's been as bad as made out in parts. Definitely stuttering and still not clear where regular goals will come from, but only 2 points off yourselves at the same time.

I think the struggle to score is more of a concern than the points total. Huge 2 games ahead. 2 losses (which is far from unimaginable) could see us hit a spiral of poor confidence. A couple of draws or a win and things look brighter.

I'd snap your hand off for 3 points from the 2 games at this stage.

Consistently home form has been hugely important in games between us and there's a bigger gap in overall quality this year I would say. So attitude, confidence and ability to dig it out against odds (a la Caulfields first couple of seasons) will be even more vital.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    What will be shown on Soccer Republic tomorrow night? Hopefully they'll feature the First Division games this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I don't think SR have the rights to show FD games regularly, my guess would be the single PD game and mix of u17's and today's u21 game.

Would like to see the FD games though, would have been a perfect showcase for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I don't think SR have the rights to show FD games regularly, my guess would be the single PD game and mix of u17's and today's u21 game.

Would like to see the FD games though, would have been a perfect showcase for them.
    Think the cameras were out around FD grounds on Friday night.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    They were certainly at the Clasico anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Good win for Rovers up in Donegal.
    Game looked fairly scrappy on the stream(which was awful btw), but Rovers dug it out and got the win.
    This will give the team.squad/management the belief that they can dig it out when required .

7 points clear is better than 7 points behind, irrespective of games in hand.

Next week is cork-dundalk with Rovers playing the students(bag o $hite!), and the following week is Rovers are down in cork.
    Early stages I know but if Cork were to lose to both dundalk and Rovers , I'd be more confident of Rovers finishing 2nd in the league- ifs and buts of course.

Rovers have started well this season so far , and only for fatty ward conning the ref twice against bozos, we;d be further ahead.
    cest la vie

Those derby results still not bothering you stick to playing Finn harps every week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I actually agree with Marino bohs here how are you letting that bother you? and we are 7 points clear.
    We are playing them again in Tallaght in a few weeks and Dundalk on the Friday...I'd happily lose to bohs on Tuesday for a win on the Friday.
    Its the same 3 points but a win over Dundalk is taking 3 points off the team that are odds on to win the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I actually agree with Marino bohs here how are you letting that bother you? and we are 7 points clear.
    We are playing them again in Tallaght in a few weeks and Dundalk on the Friday...I'd happily lose to bohs on Tuesday for a win on the Friday.
    Its the same 3 points but a win over Dundalk is taking 3 points off the team that are odds on to win the league.
    Or mention the clear penalty Dundalk were denied as much as the penalty that Boh's got

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Soccer Republic, Monday 25 March, 7.30pm, RTÉ2

Tonight's Soccer Republic features action from the SSE Airtricity League Premier and First Divisions, the FAI Women's National League as well as highlights of the Republic of Ireland's win over Gibraltar and the U21 side's victory against Luxembourg.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12