Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EPL Season 2017/8

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts

EPL Season 2017/8

Rooney back to Everton on a "free transfer". Probably nothing to Man U ok but I suspect a large signing on fee for Wayne.

Don't expect Lukaku to make a huge impact at Man U (could come back to bite me that one) - similar to Wilfried Bony at Man City ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He'll be a bigger 'success' than Bony I suspect.

He'll start, frustrate, divide opinion and score goals!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Apparently he joined Man U because he wanted to play in Europe and had nothing to do with the money. Why didn't he just join Rovers instead?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Seeing as Everton are in Europe too, we'll assume he meant the CL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Kyle Walker is about to become the world’s most expensive defender and the costliest English player of all time, after Tottenham Hotspur accepted a bid worth £53m from Manchester City - is this not the same Kyle Walker who looked like a tailor's dummy against Iceland? The clubs with money (e.g. the two Manchester clubs) are paying inflated prices for the players they want. And of course there is a premium if he's English. If I heard Walker was signing for Rovers, I'd say not a bad acquisition but nothing more than that. Bizarre...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'd rate him as very good Premier League but that's is nuts. Came across this on Twitter yesterday, the world's most expensive defence:

Kyle Walker - John Stones - David Luiz - Luke Shaw

Seriously, like? Get a grip!

Meanwhile Leonardo Bonucci moves between two Italian giants for £35m!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Ross Barkley wants to leave Everton "for a new challenge" https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...ton-exit-door/

For "new challenge" read for "a sack load of dosh".

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I'd rate him as very good Premier League but that's is nuts. Came across this on Twitter yesterday, the world's most expensive defence:

Kyle Walker - John Stones - David Luiz - Luke Shaw

Seriously, like? Get a grip!

Meanwhile Leonardo Bonucci moves between two Italian giants for £35m!
    Italian footballers do prefer to stay at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Your Sigurdsson post was interesting, Geysir. Would have never thought Swansea would have been treated as a non-English club in that context.

He covered more ground than any other PL player last season. I've always been a fan but would have never thought he'd have topped those kinds of stats.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    I meant to post it here but in the end I lost the content of the post in a moment of distraction. Basically two Icelandic clubs that fostered Gylfi's growth before he departed to Reading age 16, have benefitted from the solidarity system set up by Fifa, ie. a small % of Gylfi's transfers to and from Swansea
    The transfer to Everton has earned the two clubs, sums of Eur 57K and Eur34K
    The solidarity compensation system only kicks in when a player is transferred from a club belonging to one association to a club in another.
    Even though Swansea play their football in the same league as Spurs and Everton, they are still a Welsh association club and as such, transfers from Swansea to English clubs are regarded as international transfers.
    I never would have reckoned on that.

No doubt we have Sepp to thank for these morsels of egalitarianism and respect.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.the42.ie/koeman-mourinho-3602907-Sep2017/

What's wrong with what Mourinho said? It's not like he said Everton should finish in the top 4, he said they should target finishing in the top 4. They spent 140m for crying out loud. When Man City and Chelsea started spending those sums of money they immediately solidified top 4 positions and started competing for titles. Let's not forget Martinez and Moyes had Everton threatening to gatecrash the top 4 while spending a fraction of what they spent this summer.

Koeman, such a bottler.

This is the monster you created. Don't complain about not being supported in the transfer market and then temper expectations when people, rightly, expect a prompt return on all that investment.

It's not like Pochettino has a team full of superstars at Spurs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't think it's realistic at all, unless a few big clubs have horror seasons.

They had a net spend of around £40m and lost a 30 goal a season striker.

Mourinho had a net spend of around €140m last summer and finished 6th.

United spent big again this summer, as have Manchester City and Chelsea. Arsenal and Liverpool have also strengthened and kept their best players. Tottenham are still in the picture.

Everton also have the much maligned Europa League commitments. I see no reason why they should expect to bridge the gap, they'd be doing okay to finish as high as last season like Koeman says... which is the best of the rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Mourinho gave up on finishing in the top 4 in the PL and put all his eggs in the Europa League basket though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He didn't give up on it until he accepted that winning the Europa League was far more likely than finishing in the top four. They were sixth pretty much all season long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Are Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal that much stronger than Everton?

None of them improved their squads that drastically.

Liverpool and Arsenal still have the same problems they did last year.

Spurs arguably don't have as much depth as Everton; Sissoko still gets starts and Janssen was getting game time all of last season.

What's Mourinho supposed to say, that 140m should see Everton directly competing with West Brom and Stoke?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think the 140m thing is misleading. They've lost their main source of goals. Had they kept Lukaku (and to a much lesser extent Deulofeu) and spent 140m on top of that he might have had a point.

Tottenham and Liverpool both spent heavily with the cash generated from the Bale/Suarez sales but it's difficult to replace very important players. Both struggled in the immediate aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Are Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal that much stronger than Everton?
    I think so, yes. Arsenal and Liverpool have far more quality offensively, stars Everton could only dream of really (Coutinho, Firminio, Ozil, Sanchez, etc.). Spurs are better all over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Good piece here on the inherent racism of Manchester United fans' chant about the size of Lukaku's penis.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Netherton

It was only a couple of years later when some members of the Stretford End sang the racist chant about Emmanuel Adebayor. Of course, the chant doesn’t have the ‘n’ word in it, so people believe that there’s no way it can be racist. That’s because the general understanding of racism in this country is that unless you’re using an explicitly racist slur to someone, you’re not being a racist. The various nuances about race and racism - that oppression can be structural and systemic, not purely personal, and it can be linked to stereotypes that cause wider problems - are ignorantly or deliberately lost and disregarded in order to give bigots the plausible deniability they love to hide behind. It wasn’t a huge number of fans, though, and things didn’t take off as they have this week.

But now, United fans have a new chant, about Romelu Lukaku’s supposedly enormous penis. It is plainly racist, reducing Lukaku to a figure to be mocked because of a stereotype that has long been linked to other prejudicial representations of black men as sexually aggressive, to use just one example. Apparently the joke is about his penis, not his race, so it can’t be racist. It is a compliment, if anything, so it can’t be racist. It isn’t offensive in the opinion of some people, so it can’t be racist. There are other more racist chants, so it can’t be racist. It isn’t the biggest problem in racism, so it can’t be racist. It isn’t the biggest problem of any kind in the world, so it can’t be racist. You should stop bringing attention to racism because that just perpetuates racism. None of these arguments stand up to any kind of rigour, and there is a reason for that. They are the desperate claims of people who hate to be called racist more than they hate racism itself.

The Romelu Lukaku chant is racist. It is not hard to grasp. It is not hard to stop doing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What do you think yourself, Danny? Obviously the big penis thing is silly at best, but is attempted humour based on stereotypes in general to be outlawed, even if it's meant in a complimentary, even affectionate, kind of way?

Netherton's link between a stereotypical black man's big penis and sexual aggressiveness is not something that ever occurred to me I must say. That really takes the lightheartedness out of it if he's correct to make that connection.

United fans seem to go down the nationality/race route quite a bit, previously chanting about Nemanja Vidic coming from Serbia and f**king murdering ya, or Ji-Sung Park eating dogs in his home country. They were both much better than the Lukaku tripe in terms of creativity at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Del; I've posted a response about the Lukaku chant and how to gauge what constitutes "acceptable" humour in a new thread in the current affairs section here as my reply diverges quite a bit from strict football-talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Don't expect Lukaku to make a huge impact at Man U (could come back to bite me that one) - similar to Wilfried Bony at Man City ?
    Looks as if I might be wrong.

I do find the Mourinho interviews really tiresome these days. They were vaguely interesting when he first came but they're now as tedious as his voice.

Not many upsets so far this season in the EPL. The money is really rising to the top very quickly. I wonder how long will Leicester give Shakespeare? He's only a game away from dropping in to the bottom 3. Ranieri was dumped in November.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast