Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 Greatest albums - Channel 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong
    Should be number 1!
    No Surfer Rosa number 1, Doolittle somewhere in the top five.........and Rosas not even in the poll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    I prefer CNN's all-time top-50 rock compilations. My favourite band, Echo & The Bunnymen, was surprisingly at nr 1 with "Songs to learn and sing" which the CNN team named 'the ultimate best of which sounds as good as a regular album". Speaking of a compliment !

Sorry, Gerrit, but there's a world of difference between a best of/compilation, and an album.
    Gathering enough good songs over a ten year period, say, to fill a cd has no comparison to going into the studio for a few months and coming out with one body of work.

In saying that, I obviously don't agree with a lot of it, just stuck up the list for some reaction.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think as a personal opinion that the Beatles are overrated. They did great things but after their career some bands did even better things. The wheel was a revolutionary creation one day, does that mean we still have to credit the wheel as the best invention ever and ignore better stuff that came afterwards ?

I know many music, including some of my favourite artists' work, has Beatles influences. In my opinion (mind that sentence please !) it were improvements though ; the Beatles inspired them and they made something better.

Sorry, can'thelp it, the Beatles just don't move me. I don't dislike them or their fans and even credit the good songs they did, but to say they are the best band ever is in my opinion a huge exageration. Even so called masterpieces as the White Album... I just don't get the fuzz. A song like "Happy birthday" or however it's called, I don't get how they could seriously mean it !

and yeah, best compilation is not the same as best album, but the Bunnymen should always be in a list like this. "Ocean rain" was one of the most brilliant and most experimental albums the world has seen and fits in the same row as the White Album (which is in my opinion less good than Ocean Rain, but ignore my opinion as I'm a Bunnymen fan and not completely neutral when they're concerned)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Agreed Gerrit Beatles overrated but PLEASE can anyone explain why there is not ONE Dance/Trance/Rave Album in there ? (Oops forgot about Prodigy!)

Or am I missing something like the poll was confined to Rock/Pop/Indie?
    Cork City FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nope, seems to be an all-genres list...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thought I'd add in EARLY Genesis - Selling England by the Pound, Nursery Cryme and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Pretentious? Yes. But there was a real edge to the band with Peter Gabriel on vocals and Phil Collins on drums (where he belonged). Ironic that once Collins became frontman, the music went sihte and huge success followed. To be fair about Collins, he was a brilliant drummer. The Yes Album is also a great prog-rock album - isn't it gas to see prog-rock back in the good books, Mars Volta etc. Other bands/artists missing Rory Gallagher, Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson, Dave Edmunds album "Repeat when Necessary" is another good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12