Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Crowley

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,702 Posts

Dan Crowley

Breaking news announcing the almost certain return of Dan Crowley to be Ireland eligible again, after a stopgap experience with the English FA.

Dan ticks many of the boxes.

Arsenal academy pedigree.
    Redemption -- from questions about discipline/temperament.
    Long summers spent in rural Ireland
    Played GAA sports.
    Always supported Ireland.
    Cried when Shay jumped out of the way to let Mendieta score.

Has cred in Holland as a talented technically gifted midfielder in the Dutch league.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    I hope people don't drop this into the 'not good enough for England' bucket. Maybe he isn't presently good enough for England but I think it was always likely this lad was going to end up with us as senior level, regardless of how his career progressed. I think the interview is genuine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,834 Posts
    Good news. Pity he didn't get the paperwork in motion six months ago when he expressed his interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,156 Posts
    Thread in the other football section on him: https://foot.ie/threads/161142-Daniel-Crowley
    Was moved when he decided to play for England U17s a few weeks after playing for Ireland at the same level
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 22/02/2019 at 10:22 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,702 Posts
    Okay, I had done a search for a previous thread on Dan in the Ireland forum and (obviously) it did not appear.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Good news. Pity he didn't get the paperwork in motion six months ago when he expressed his interest.
    I'd be almost certain that he informed the FAI of his decision long before last September and did not hear word back from O'Neill. And there's a strong hint that he was under the impression Ireland had to want him to return before paperwork was begun.
    Also he says "I've kept in touch with the FAI scout, Mark O'Toole, over the years and he knows I'd love a call-up,"
    Last edited by geysir; 22/02/2019 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,834 Posts
    Do you think he's heard from McCarthy so, in that case?

I'd have been more impressed if he ploughed on with the paperwork at the time regardless of hearing from O'Neill. Happy to have him on board though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I'd be almost certain that he informed the FAI of his decision long before last September and did not hear word back from O'Neill. And there's a strong hint that he was under the impression Ireland had to want him to return before paperwork was begun.
    there doesnt have to be a another story behind everything to do with our national team.
    the reports this morning would suggest that his desire was always to play for us

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,702 Posts
    Do you think he's heard from McCarthy so, in that case?
    I'd have been more impressed if he ploughed on with the paperwork at the time regardless of hearing from O'Neill. Happy to have him on board though.
    If a young player tells a scout he'd like to return, why did the scout not tell him then to plough on and follow his dream?
    The question is more about team management competency, than expecting a teenage footballer to be aware of the whole paperwork process of making the switch,
    and in the context of most managers/coaches/scouts/fans being not aware of the full extent of FIFA's regulations re international eligibility.
    Yes, one can eventually find the well hidden file on FIFA's website which barely informs a player using the minimum amount of words, on what to do to make the switch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,834 Posts
    He knew there was a paperwork process, so I'm sure he'd have known the sooner that's initiated, the sooner he'd be available for selection. He's not a teenager either, and wasn't when he made his intentions clear last September.

Do you think McCarthy has made contact? Simple question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I welcome him! - Decision made early - Unlike Will Keane
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    He knew there was a paperwork process, so I'm sure he'd have known the sooner that's initiated, the sooner he'd be available for selection. He's not a teenager either, and wasn't when he made his intentions clear last September.

I would say someone in the management apparatus did talk to him. Whether it was MMc who knows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    308 Posts
    There's a pic on his instagram from Nov 2015 where he's 'watching football with the little bro'. He's wearing a nave tracksuit top with green stripes and the young lad is in an Ireland soccer kit.
    So it seems he's been, at the very least, dropping hints the last three and a half years that Ireland was where his hat would be laid.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    540 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,702 Posts

Have you read the document I refer to? do you know what the process involves? I doubt it.
    It's quite clear in the well hidden document at FIFA HQ that the association the player wants to switch to ( in this case the FAI) has to make the request to FIFA on behalf of the player. If a player informs the FAI that he wants to switch to the FAI, the next step is from the FAI to initiate the paperwork. Part of that paperwork is a statement from the player.
    He kept in touch with the FAI scout and the scout was well informed as to Dan's intentions re a return to Ireland. In all that time that the FAI knew (the scout), nobody got back to contact Dan, despite the fact that Mick was trawling the dredges trying to persuade players to sign up.

I haven't a clue who in the FAI finally contacted him but I guess he was informed by somebody to contact the FAI directly or was contacted by the FAI and asked to confirm his intentions and request the FAI to start the paperwork.
    Last edited by geysir; 22/02/2019 at 3:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    540 Posts
    Here's a new video -
    (best viewed on mute)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    "I remember crying my eyes out when Spain won that penalty shoot-out."

Quote Originally Posted by Independent.ie
    His father Dave's parents are from Waterford and Cork, while his mother Maria also has relations from Mayo.
    Grandad Aleister has strong Charleville connections.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,702 Posts
    "England is a country I love because I grew up there and my friends live there. I wore a lot of kits as a youngster but never owned an England kit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    You've gotta love the lad's insistence on convincing. He's like a figure standing in the battlefield smoke of the Ricegate wars, arms aloft, imploring the cautious greens to ignore the accent and search him for hidden England kits. You can practically hear the Irish guns being uncocked at the sound of "Ireland were the team I supported at the Euro 2016 finals."

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Have you read the document I refer to? do you know what the process involves? I doubt it.
    It's quite clear in the well hidden document at FIFA HQ that the association the player wants to switch to ( in this case the FAI) has to make the request to FIFA on behalf of the player. If a player informs the FAI that he wants to switch to the FAI, the next step is from the FAI to initiate the paperwork. Part of that paperwork is a statement from the player.
    He kept in touch with the FAI scout and the scout was well informed as to Dan's intentions re a return to Ireland. In all that time that the FAI knew (the scout), nobody got back to contact Dan, despite the fact that Mick was trawling the dredges trying to persuade players to sign up.

I haven't a clue who in the FAI finally contacted him but I guess he was informed by somebody to contact the FAI directly or was contacted by the FAI and asked to confirm his intentions and request the FAI to start the paperwork.
    I didn't read the document but I assumed that's how the initial part of the process works.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast