Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Loi fixtures w/e 25/2/2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Boez will find a way to f*"k it up. It's what they do. It's who they are.
    Thats a classic piece of selective memory. Nobody can lay blame at Rovers fans for the Milltown debacle and did remarkably well sustaining years without a home. But when one came along it ended up an aborted project that became a derelict site (and no Oriel is not derelict its just old) and the club which should have been on an upward trend went bang and got relegated with questions over what happened to grant money. How many attempts were made to ressurect Tallaght Stadium with all sorts of plans, leisure centre/gym facilities attached? It wasnt until SDCC stepped in to deal with an eyesore created for them that that **** up was turned around and really how much of that was due to good work from the Rovers board than a slice of luck externally.

Subsequently, particularly without the burden of trying to provide a capital project, there was room to build the clubs fortunes. Without SDCC intervention i'm not so sure Rovers would have kicked on to an additional 2 leagues after.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 27/02/2019 at 1:50 PM.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Three games in and the bon homie of early season has evaporated!
    There is another stream of possible funding for a football club which I hadnt mentioned, which Shels would be familiar with, which no club in their right mind would touch.
    Wouldn't want to get this site sued (or worse) but there are a lot of people in the north East of the city would have a "Hunch" what I am talking about.
    Whatever about a rivalry with Shels( not really much there since Olly departed), objectively, I would hate to see them doing well on the back of their "funding" "model".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    You've mentioned that before sbgawa here a few times to stoke up some sort of fear of Shels masked as concern for Bohs... assuming for a second you are being sincere and want to talk about this... how sustainable is the Shels model? What is the short and long term vision there (outside of "fck Bohs' sh!t up, fam")? All I see is money being p!ssed against the wind. Again.
    I'm being 100% sincere, the guy bankrolling Shels is a wealthy businessman who can afford to put the relatively small amounts of money into Shels to make them a premier team in a shiny new stadium. He has bought Shels for SFA and will be able to sell a % to recoup his investment.
    I'm too old to "hate" anyone or any club, but i do have a special dislike of Shels and hence my concern for bohs is not "masked".
    If Shels are in the premier division next year and Bohs lose some players like this year , you will find yourself scapping with Shels for the best players and possibly losing out over a few quid a week

I will say Stu that my concern is genuine but its not keeping me awake at night
    Its like the old joke about which of your two worst enemies you would prefer slept with your wife. in this example that would be bohs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    [QUOTE=Real ale Madrid;1992981]Investors will only invest if there is money to be made. So far there is no evidence that there is any money in LOI football, except for the odd exception. There is little to no football 'industry' in Ireland. There is only 1 other sport in Ireland that has been able to make a fist of professionalism - and that is Rugby and even that is basically a centrally funded model that has no chance of survival in football.

Not sure about there being no Football industry in Ireland, i think there is a one developing. Clubs are a lot more professional than they were 10 years ago with sustainability near to the core of the way clubs think and operate. The pathway for decent footballers who previously chose the UK is now much more difficult to access and navigate and therin lies an opportunity for our league to improve the general standard. There is a lot of independent social media sites promoting our league and i have always of the opinion that it is well represented in the general media. Crowds have been excellent for the first 3 rounds of fixtures and we are now seeing European qualifying teams making a real go af trying to progress to Group stages. Walk around Tallaght, Dundalk, Phibsboro, sligo, Cork etc you will see lots of LOI branded clothing. Grounds are slowly being improved and in a few years 3 of the Dublin teams will be playing in excellent facilities. Last week i was in the west stand in Tallaght for the first time having always been in the east and i have to admit as a night out its far superior to the east the amount of families there really was encouraging. Working in the country this week and talking football in general with folks they were aware of the league and the results. We will never compete with whats on offer in England but we do not need to millons of people all over the world enjoying supporting and attending their clubs who play at a similar or lower level than the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'm being 100% sincere, the guy bankrolling Shels is a wealthy businessman who can afford to put the relatively small amounts of money into Shels to make them a premier team in a shiny new stadium. He has bought Shels for SFA and will be able to sell a % to recoup his investment.
    I'm too old to "hate" anyone or any club, but i do have a special dislike of Shels and hence my concern for bohs is not "masked".
    If Shels are in the premier division next year and Bohs lose some players like this year , you will find yourself scapping with Shels for the best players and possibly losing out over a few quid a week

I will say Stu that my concern is genuine but its not keeping me awake at night
    Its like the old joke about which of your two worst enemies you would prefer slept with your wife. in this example that would be bohs
    That's fair.

The bit i've bolded doesn't seem very different to the last 8 or so years to be honest. As one of my Bohs compatriots pointed out earlier, we have taken a different approach to our funding model that will prevent against the boom-bust cycle that so many clubs have gone through in the last 20 years in particular. I think our approach offers sustainability at the expense of trophies which I am okay with for now. We seem to have found a way to connect our clubs values with promising young players coming home from England. Things look pretty good for us.

We also have found a way to grow our club and our budget gradually year on year. Would I personally be in favour of a NSA cash injection? Yes. Would most of the Bohs fans/members feel the same way? I am not so sure. Most are happy with the way things are going but the threat of relegation is an annual thing now and we are not taking our situation lightly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Thats really my net point , you have got 4 or 5 of the best young kids coming home to sign up with you, not for money but for the chance to kick start their careers again
    its likely nest year they will have another option to kick start their careers and get a modest few bob as well.
    It would have been this year if they had come up through the playoffs instead of Harps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I could talk about employing players with convictions for sexual offences, selling your ground twice, etc etc. We are all sinners in some way or other.
    Shouting at each other about it is like two bald men fighting over a comb.
    My original comment was a concern that bohs are at risk from shels. Sorry I bothered ....
    Could talk about shams employees "habits" as well or misuse of sports grants but didn't.
    As for Shels "threat" - been there done that (Ollie Byrne era). Your fixation with them somehow relegating Bohs is nothing more than deluded wishful thinking, fortunately we can get enough points from Derbys to stay up 😁

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789