Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: American Politics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Sen Richard Burr & Sen Kelly Loeffler are both likely to be investigated for insider trading. Both sold stock likely to be effected by the crisis after attending Senate briefings about Covid 19. Tucker Carlson calling for Burr to resign on Fox News. Seems likely that both are finished, so special elections in North Carolina and Georgia are probably going to be held in November.

The GOP are in enormous trouble. This is going to be Hurricane Katrina on steroids.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    This is why we need borders!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Today's conference is insane. Even more than normal.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Jumping the shark alright. Even by Trump standards this is absolutely mental.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    So, Biden it is.

As a career politician, he shouldn't have any skeletons left in the closet, though I see someone has come out with an accusation that he sexually assaulted her. I expect the Ukraine thing to rumble on for a while too.

He's not all that inspiring a candidate, and a bit of a rambler in debates, so I think they'll be pretty unenlightening (if they even happen), but I guess Sanders was just too far to the left.

Although a lot of power resides with the individual states themseves, Trump will still take some of the blame or credit for what happens with COVID-19 - his press conferences so far have been bizarre, but he has stayed pretty unchanged in approval ratings.

The Democrats did win a battle for a supreme court position in Wisconsin, which they will see as something of a swing in their favour in one of the battleground states.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    As a leftie I'm glad it's Biden. Sanders says the right things, but I don't want him to be President. Even if Sanders won, which is a big if, chances are he would drop dead after <2 years in that job and get bugger all done. I think I've said before on here that I see him as a John the Baptist figure. Saying the rights things is all well and good, but he's too old. So is Biden, but he can act as a safe pair of hands for 4 years and get that crazy mother****er out of the White House.

The day is coming when we'll get a US president with the most left wing policy agenda since FDR, but it will be a struggle to get it all done in 8 years. Obama was great, and most of the social changes our generation wanted happened under him, but now we need someone to drive through the economic changes. That President will need 8 years, and in 2024 AOC will be there to take on whichever knuckle-dragging neanderthal the GOP decide to put up against her, and she'll win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    As a leftie I'm glad it's Biden.
    That's a false equivalence anyway.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    The injecting disinfectant seems completely mad, but, to be fair, there's a lot of successful UV light treatments out there.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    We live in a world where news outlets have to tell people not to inject themselves with bleach, because the President of the United States said it might cure a virus.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Personally I think Trump supporters injecting themselves with bleach offers an opportunity to save lives in the long run.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Natural selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    The injecting disinfectant seems completely mad, but, to be fair, there's a lot of successful UV light treatments out there.
    You can decontaminate a surface, or water, with sufficiently intense UV light and I could imagine has has some uses in dermatology or something, but I would be highly surprised if it could be used for internal medicine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    To be fair to the man, injecting yourself with sufficient cleaning products will definitely kill the virus. It's just likely to have some mild-to-fatal side effects as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    To be fair to the man, injecting yourself with sufficient cleaning products will definitely kill the virus. It's just likely to have some mild-to-fatal side effects as well.
    I remember Ben Goldacre sneering (justifiably) at some newspaper reports of some miracle cure for cancer based on it killing cancer cells in a Petrie dish. "So does bleach", he said. It's sad how evident it is now that there are people who wouldn't have understood that.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    For him to be mulling over the idea of injecting disinfectant during the actual press conference is bizarre.

It really suggests that these things aren't prepped at all, no clear idea of 'these are the 3 key points we need to get across and this is how we will do it and who will say what'.

But maybe they are well prepped, and it is just impossible to know if and when he will go off track and start his weird rambles and ponderings.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    You can decontaminate a surface, or water, with sufficiently intense UV light and I could imagine has has some uses in dermatology or something, but I would be highly surprised if it could be used for internal medicine.
    It was a common enough treatment and quite effective but died out as more antibiotics were developed apparently, blood is taken, treated with UV and reinjected, there's a good few papers on it and it's gaining some traction with antibiotics becoming less effective against certain viruses that have mutated. I read this paper earlier; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6122858/

There's nothing obvious that I've seen to suggest it's not without merit. I had incredibly effective external UV light therapy for my psoriasis (not directly comparative but an autoimmune condition similar to what seems to happen in the lungs in the particularly bad coronavirus cases)

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Cheers for the source. It's a fairly measured paper, suggesting it might be worth a look given the rise of superbugs. He doesn't seem to have much of an idea of why it might be effective - though I agree with him that it's certainly not sterilisation of the blood (which would be a terrible idea - killing red and white blood cells), so it's on very shaky foundations. It's hardly at the point where you'd mention it in casual conversation, much less at a major press conference. I mean, this is not a conclusion suggesting a revolution in medicine is around the corner:
    The present confusion about exactly what is happening during and after the treatment is playing a large role in the controversy about whether UBI could ever be a mainstream medical therapy, or must remain side-lined in the “alternative and complementary” category where it has been allowed to be forgotten for the last 50 years.
    Without a real physical mechanism explaining it (and hormesis is a pretty ropey argument - why not try electroshock therapy, or just slapping the patients?), evidence is going to be on the level of acupuncture. I see a line like
    Henry A Barrett at the Willard Parker Hospital in New York City in 1940 reported on 110 cases including a number of different infections. Twenty-nine different conditions were described as being responsive, including the following: infectious arthritis, septic abortion, osteoarthritis, tuberculosis glands, chronic blepharitis, mastoiditis, uveitis, furunculosis, chronic paranasal sinusitis, acne vulgaris, and secondary anemia [23, 24].
    And I think, that's 29 successes claimed out of how many things he's tried it on? Let's say it worked on everything that guy tested (a bit of a red flag for me). He'd have fewer than 4 patients per disease. The real likelihood is that Barrett was reporting on sample sizes of 1, at which you can provide evidence that the presence or absence of a magic rock helped, because it's really hard in medicine to show that the patient got better for any one specific reason.

Anyway, it was an interesting read, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    That President will need 8 years, and in 2024 AOC will be there to take on whichever knuckle-dragging neanderthal the GOP decide to put up against her, and she'll win.
    If I have a hat at the time I'll eat it if AOC is elected President.
    Last edited by The Fly; 30/04/2020 at 3:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Hard to see AOC in the White House at 38 alright.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast