Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: American Politics

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    There is a lot fundamentally wrong with the American system - government, judiciary, electoral everything - that a Biden win won't solve. There has to be some kind of backbone after the fact, a willingness to "stack" the Supreme Court, to enact the "nuclear option" and a refusal to engage in the sort of bi-partisan compromising that ruined the chance that was the super-majority. In essence, they would have to play by the same rules as the GOP does. Biden isn't the President to do that, unless he's done a masterful job at throwing up a centrist facade. Perhaps Harris will be, if, like I would hesitantly guess, she'll be put forward in 2024.

But they have to win first. I do think Biden will win, and I also think Trump will crow about voter fraud and use the Supreme Court as a political weapon to try and steal it. I don't know what happens after that. It is quite scary to see the country that prides itself on a history of smooth transition of power being in such a state. It makes me think about 1932 here and how FF taking power for the first time happened with TD's carrying guns in their pockets, how alien it all seems reading it in a history book. But there America is, not all that far away.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Ladies and gentlemen... I give you the new Saviour of Democracy... Borat Sagdiyev! https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1211157.html

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    4 days to go now.

Biden with a national lead, and leads in the swing states, but it's the latter that matters, and those leads are solid but not massive.

Hard to know how much impact the Hunter Biden laptop story will have. If there really is much smoking gun material on it, they did a terrible job of exploiting it - it has come out in this dripfeed of rumour, and too late also, with a serious chunk of the electorate already having voted.

I'd expect Biden to pick up much the same vote, in much the same places, as Clinton did - I think the perception of her as turning off Democrats is exaggerated - she got the same number of votes as Obama in 2012.

More than anything, I don't think Trump will pick up any significant number of votes compared to 4 years ago - I can't imagine there are many at all who didn't vote for him 4 years ago who have been convinced to do so by his performance as president. I think there is a cohort who will vote for him no matter what (and another cohort, with an obvious overlap, who will vote for any Republican no matter what), but there will be those who won't vote for him, especially after his ongoing performance regarding Covid-19 (not that it's all his fault by any means, but he has said pretty much the worst thing he could say at every opportunity).

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Trump encouraging his supporters for running a Biden bus out of a city in the big trucks on a busy highway was shameless nut not really shocking

Also perplexed that anyone who watched the BBC documentary last night on the Trump admin's handling of Covid-19 and is still a Trump supporter. Its blatantly obvious they new this was a major threat from early Jan 2020 but continued to play it dow, bend the truth and outright lie about infection & death rates for 8-10 weeks
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    There's a real sinister side to Trump's recent claims that the US is "rounding the turn" with regard to COVID cases, even as record numbers of infections are announced on a daily basis.
    If he does lose the election, and cases continue to rise, there's no doubt that Trump will claim that things were improving in October, but since Biden was elected, the virus has surged and the new president is solely to blame.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I'm tempted to watch the election overnight, there's a fair chance it'll be flipping nutty. I don't have live TV though, apart from whatever's available via the Play store on an Nvidia Shield. Is Sky's coverage any good? Or will I just be frustrating myself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    He really is the living embodiment of fake news, isn't he? How do you engage with someone who has that kind of relationship with reality? Anyone fact checking him just gets snowed under, and people don't seem to care anyway. So he lies, and everyone knows he's lying, and then the lies distort the conversation anyway. I used to think propaganda had to be clever, but he just ****s into everyone's newsfeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I'm tempted to watch the election overnight, there's a fair chance it'll be flipping nutty. I don't have live TV though, apart from whatever's available via the Play store on an Nvidia Shield. Is Sky's coverage any good? Or will I just be frustrating myself?
    No idea, but I bet there'll be live blogging all over the place, from news channels and amateurs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Should be some sort of live coverage available on YouTube?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If he does lose the election, and cases continue to rise, there's no doubt that Trump will claim that things were improving in October, but since Biden was elected, the virus has surged and the new president is solely to blame.
    If he loses, and after he is gone, I doubt we'll hear from much him again tbh.

If and when he is out of the White House, he's not getting back there, and he has no actual interest in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I used to think propaganda had to be clever, but he just ****s into everyone's newsfeed.

As Steve Bannon so eloquently put it, “Flood the zone with ****,” and Trump supporters, alt-right groups, 4chan, Gab, and sites like Infowars and Breitbart do just that, putting out a tidal wave of junk news to overwhelm the traditional stuff. Then, in the disinformation ecosystem, it is picked up on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter—and by your Uncle Milton who informs you that George Soros secretly hatched COVID-19.

https://time.com/5860215/domestic-di...enace-america/
    Last edited by osarusan; 03/11/2020 at 5:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    RTE wouldn't be the worst, will be over and back to CBS news as well and they will call states as quickly as anyone. Might be as good as anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Should be some sort of live coverage available on YouTube?
    I'm watching it on ABC News via Youtube
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    John King basically has his own show on CNN. Its great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I forgot about casting, I'm flipping between ABC, NBC and Sky. Don't think CNN are live on YouTube, must see if they have an app.

Not sure I'll last much longer. The taking heads are boring as feck.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The bookies have gone hard for Trump. It's over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    3.00am - Trump needed a big polling error in all of the key states and he looks like he has it. Bedtime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    The f*ck is wrong with Americans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Cash out for £530 or wait for £795?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Might be a bit premature. Arizona changing some opinions. We'll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Just woke up and looking at results so far.

Whatever the final result is, these pollsters who apparently made all the relevant corrections to their models after 2016 so that they would be super-duper accurate this time can f**k right off again.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast