Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 481

Thread: American Politics

  1. #421
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,790
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    426
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,426
    Thanked in
    701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    No half-truths or fantasy, just the facts. I promise you I am not trying to pull the wool over your eyes or anyone else's.
    You NEVER post facts, and you NEVER back up ANY of your nonsense with ANY decent links. EVER.

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #422
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    184
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    You NEVER post facts, and you NEVER back up ANY of your nonsense with ANY decent links. EVER.
    I never post facts???
    I have posted NOTHING BUT FACTS.
    As I said before I have no wish to lie or deceive anyone on this forum. I have watched it with my own eyes every night for the last several months.
    Our attempts at a civilized discussion have unfortunately come to an end.

  4. #423
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    911
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,677
    Thanked in
    2,372 Posts
    And the links?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  5. #424
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    56
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    40
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I never post facts???
    I have posted NOTHING BUT FACTS.
    As I said before I have no wish to lie or deceive anyone on this forum. I have watched it with my own eyes every night for the last several months.
    Our attempts at a civilized discussion have unfortunately come to an end.
    You have posted nothing but your own opinion. When pressed your sources have been a mix of links to right wing propaganda sites (thedailycaller), right wing conspiracy theorists (joel gibbert) or youtube videos with no sources. Whatever you are watching with your own eyes every night is deceiving you.

    Enjoy the tax returns.

  6. #425
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,619
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    58
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    696
    Thanked in
    449 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I'm quite confused Sam on what you mean in your reply. I had heard a version of what happened to Breonna Taylor, but it was nothing like what actually came out of the Grand Jury last Tuesday. My point is that the media led the country to believe a certain narrative about Breonna Taylor and it was nothing like what really happened - from what I'm told RTE and BBC do the same thing from time to time? Bottom line is there is a media-driven war on the police in the US right now because racial strife keeps the masses at each other's throats. But those people who are suffering the most are those in the inner city black communities (as Al Sharpton has quite rightly said). What is your reference to Trayvon Martin about?
    My point is that the attitude you showed in the paragraph I quoted is the exact reason why Black Lives Matter exists - all the blame on the dead black person, none on the police for their actions, especially if you can show that the dead black person wasn't perfect (oh by the way, ditto for Trayvon Martin-I just had to go eat before I made that point). And when they see a rifle-toting double-murdering white fascist vigilante being ushered to safety, then of course the Black Community thinks the deck of law and order is stacked against them, with all-too-often fatal consequences.

    And if you really want to see the rot that has set in to elements of American policing, just look at the Masai Ujiri incident (which thankfully didn't lead to serious injury, but for a moment looked like it could)

  7. #426
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    184
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And the links?
    I have a distinct recollection of posting links/sources on here before on American Politics only to be ridiculed for referring to Fox TV, Rush Limbaugh, Tucker Carlson, Jeff Kuhner etc as my sources. Do you really want me to go through that charade again? I watch TV in the late afternoon and evening and listen to talk radio during the day. Why would I go online to look for "links" for the TV shows I have already seen. Do they exist? You tell me? In addition, I was also told at one point not to post links but to summarize the content of the links instead.

    I think I've said this before, but there is never any problem with any of us posting our thoughts on Irish football - I take anyone who posts on here about football at their word and the same courtesy has been shown to me. But when it comes to the subject of American politics that trust we had in ourselves all of a sudden goes out the window.

    I can go scouring youtube etc for links to the TV shows I have watched and spend the next couple of days bombarding this forum with links that may or may not hold the content of what I have watched on TV every night. is that what you want? Or maybe we should do the following: how about the lad who has called me out for spreading half-truths and fantasy (translation - lies) proves me wrong. Everything I have posted over the last couple of days is a true account of what I have watched on TV, I promise you. But he has called out my credibility, let him take piece by piece what I have said and disprove it.

  8. #427
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,790
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    426
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,426
    Thanked in
    701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I have a distinct recollection of posting links/sources on here before on American Politics only to be ridiculed for referring to Fox TV, Rush Limbaugh, Tucker Carlson, Jeff Kuhner etc as my sources. Do you really want me to go through that charade again? I watch TV in the late afternoon and evening and listen to talk radio during the day. Why would I go online to look for "links" for the TV shows I have already seen. Do they exist? You tell me? In addition, I was also told at one point not to post links but to summarize the content of the links instead.
    But that's the point Mark - listening to radio shows and Tucker Carlson and repeating what they say is not adequate back up when making a statement of fact. If Tucker Carlson says the NYC are deliberately defunding the Police - that is only his opinion. It’s not a fact. Tucker Carlson ( only using him as an example ) could be the most honest person in the world - but when he says something in the setting that he does, then he is not stating a fact ; he is coming to his own conclusion, his own opinion. Say the same thing about CNN or NBC or any of them. It’s the exact same with talk radio. People go on those shows - Democratic or Republican with their own agenda. It’s up to yourself to decide what you believe or what you don’t believe but you can’t quote them as fact after. You may believe that the NYC is defunding the police deliberately but the fact of the matter is the NYC overall tax take is down over 9 billion as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic and therefore cuts are inevitable. That’s just one example. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/n...pd-budget.html


    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I think I've said this before, but there is never any problem with any of us posting our thoughts on Irish football - I take anyone who posts on here about football at their word and the same courtesy has been shown to me. But when it comes to the subject of American politics that trust we had in ourselves all of a sudden goes out the window.
    The rules are stricter in the Politics forum because unlike football – this is real life. Football is just a game ffs. Breonna Taylor got shot 7 times – do you really think discussing that is the same thing as having an opinion over who should lead the line against Slovakia next month – McGoldrick or Robinson? I mean it will probably be Idah anyway and we’ll both be wrong but seriously – come on like.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I can go scouring youtube etc for links to the TV shows I have watched and spend the next couple of days bombarding this forum with links that may or may not hold the content of what I have watched on TV every night. is that what you want? Or maybe we should do the following: how about the lad who has called me out for spreading half-truths and fantasy (translation - lies) proves me wrong. Everything I have posted over the last couple of days is a true account of what I have watched on TV, I promise you. But he has called out my credibility, let him take piece by piece what I have said and disprove it.
    How about maybe have a think about what you post, before you post, and maybe if you make assumptions and statements you have a look online for information to back-up your points of view. In my opinion that is all any reasonable person would ask for. Your last 4 or 5 posts on this forum are completely unreasonable and are good enough on their own to see you kicked off this forum for good. It’s up to yourself. You are still entitled to your opinion, but if you believe in something enough you should be able to back it up with credible information. It’s not up to others to disprove what you say. The onus is on you.

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #428
    Coach John83's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,373
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,208
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    587
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    The rules are stricter in the Politics forum because unlike football – this is real life. Football is just a game ffs. Breonna Taylor got shot 7 times – do you really think discussing that is the same thing as having an opinion over who should lead the line against Slovakia next month – McGoldrick or Robinson? I mean it will probably be Idah anyway and we’ll both be wrong but seriously – come on like.
    Defund VAR!
    Covid-negative, maybe; I haven't checked.

  11. #429
    Director dahamsta's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    13,623
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    357
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    687
    Thanked in
    432 Posts
    Please report posts that contain claims without evidence.

  12. #430
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    184
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And the links?

    Minneapolis now regretting decision to defund the police

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/u...at-pledge.html

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And the links?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxGDhiy18_c

    Story about defunding the NYPD

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And the links?
    BLM is now a political party
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7aQ02YX7qo

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And the links?
    Another story about defunding police

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4tkQ0S5oa0

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And the links?
    Police speaking about Portland riots

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMe2hou_sgE

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And the links?
    69th straight night of rioting in Portland - now over 100

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecoxdNX24g
    Last edited by dahamsta; 29/09/2020 at 9:51 AM. Reason: ONE post or NO posts.

  13. #431
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    911
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,677
    Thanked in
    2,372 Posts
    As recently as last week Tucker Carlson's own network that you should take anything he says with a degree of skepticism.

    Defunding does work - https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/09/u...rnd/index.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  14. #432
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    184
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    As recently as last week Tucker Carlson's own network that you should take anything he says with a degree of skepticism.

    Defunding does work - https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/09/u...rnd/index.html
    I watched your video Tets and the police officer appears genuine and sincere. But I would like to know if his actions have resulted in a trust between both parties. I have seen police in my neck of the woods do the same thing - talking to and mingling with the peaceful protesters (a very important term because most of these protesters are not even remotely peaceful). The optics look good for a moment or two but the next day the protestors are pelting police with rocks and walloping officers in the back of the head with a baseball bat (please don't send me looking for the link - just take my word for something I saw on the TV last week).

    And in case you don't know it, practically every historic statue in every major city in the US has been torn down or destroyed by BLM / Antifa in recent months.

    Getting back to Tucker. He is highest in the ratings of any news analyst on American TV. There are millions of viewers watching him every night. There are mountains of money and a million trap doors of litigation hanging on his every word every night. He is not just some smuck on the TV who spouts off every night. He and his team of researchers have to get things right because his credibility and the credibility of the network is riding on it. If ratings are the currency by which the media lives, then CNN is on life support. Their ratings have plummeted horribly in recent years.

    Your post said I should take anything Tucker Carlson says with a degree of scepticism. I'm sorry but I cannot agree (I assume you have watched his shows?). He is a beacon of light in a sea of lies and deception on American TV - and if truth is told he may not have too long left on Fox as the network appears to be leaning ever so slightly towards George Soros's dollars.

  15. #433
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    911
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,677
    Thanked in
    2,372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    If ratings are the currency by which the media lives, then CNN is on life support. Their ratings have plummeted horribly in recent years.
    CNN's ratings recently hit a 40 year high - https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-year-history/

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Your post said I should take anything Tucker Carlson says with a degree of scepticism. I'm sorry but I cannot agree (I assume you have watched his shows?). He is a beacon of light in a sea of lies and deception on American TV - and if truth is told he may not have too long left on Fox as the network appears to be leaning ever so slightly towards George Soros's dollars.
    I said Carlson's own network said it, it was in a law case that was settled last week
    Here's the official court documents - https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ox-Opinion.pdf
    From page 12
    Fox persuasively argues, given Mr. Carlson’s reputation, any reasonable viewer “arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism” about the statements he makes.
    His own employers are saying that, based on his reputation, you shouldn't take what he says seriously
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 29/09/2020 at 9:24 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  16. Thanks From:


  17. #434
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    184
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    CNN's ratings recently hit a 40 year high - https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-year-history/


    I said Carlson's own network said it, it was in a law case that was settled last week
    Here's the official court documents - https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...ox-Opinion.pdf
    From page 12

    His own employers are saying that, based on his reputation, you shouldn't take what he says seriously
    I suppose the operative word on CNN's ratings is 'recently'. I know they had half-decent numbers a few years ago, and then they dropped. And then as 'recently' as this past year they were at about 900,000 viewers for prime time shows as opposed to Fox which was about (I think so don't quote me) 13 million.

    Bottom line on American media - when you live in a country where the mainstream media actively promoted the lie that DT colluded with Russia and sold that to the American people for 2.5 years and effectively held the country to ransom, and where an opposing network shines a light on the origins of their investigation and shows you a whole different side to things (a side that the MSM never wants you to know about) - ie the Steele dossier and the FISA warrants etc, you tend to believe the Tucker Carlson's and Rush Limbaugh's of the world (Limbaugh on the air for 30 plus years with between 50 and 60 million listeners/subscribers would lead one to believe that if he's not telling the truth he wouldn't have lasted that long).

    I could go on and on about CNN and the MSM - things like the reporting of mass shootings with the requisite shock and horror (which is fine and appropriate) but then totally ignoring the carnage in Chicago (which in itself is a weekly mass shooting) and others parts of the country. Things like reporting that the president said the KKK were good people in the aftermath of Charlottesville or that he said "All Mexicans are rapists" or more recently when they said he called the military losers and bums. It would be pure suicide for him to say any of those things but the MSM don't care. They'll throw mud at the wall and hope it sticks.

    There is money to be made, plenty of it, and power to be gained by crying racism in America.

    But one of the telling factors on media deception for me comes in my interactions with family and friends. Of course politics is a taboo subject, but when it does come up you generally give your two cents. What I find is that instead of debating you on the details of a particular topic my liberal family members don't know the first thing about the topic at hand - and that's because they have never heard it. And that's because the censorship and propaganda of the likes of CNN / ABC etc is working quite well on the masses.

  18. #435
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    911
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,677
    Thanked in
    2,372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I suppose the operative word on CNN's ratings is 'recently'. I know they had half-decent numbers a few years ago, and then they dropped. And then as 'recently' as this past year they were at about 900,000 viewers for prime time shows as opposed to Fox which was about (I think so don't quote me) 13 million.
    Fox were on 4.2 million in March - https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/category/ratings/ - and averaged 3.6 million in August - https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoy.../#126a4ce54ce5
    Fox News Channel finished first in prime time, with an average total audience of 3.637 million viewers—up 49 percent from the same month one year ago. MSNBC was second, with 2.194 million viewers (up 48 percent) and CNN finished third with 1.685 million viewers (up just 15 percent year-over-year). Among viewers 25-54, the key demographic valued by advertisers, Fox News was number one in prime with 638,000 viewers (up 70 percent from a year ago), followed by CNN (454,000 viewers—an increase of 16 percent from one year ago) and MSNBC (357,000 viewers—up 61 percent).
    Note - if CNN were up 15% then this past year they were averaging 1.46 million, not 900,000

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Bottom line on American media - when you live in a country where the mainstream media actively promoted the lie that DT colluded with Russia and sold that to the American people for 2.5 years and effectively held the country to ransom, and where an opposing network shines a light on the origins of their investigation and shows you a whole different side to things (a side that the MSM never wants you to know about)
    The investigation concluded that Russia had interfered in the election, and is available here: https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf
    The Russian government interfered in the 2016 presidential election in sweeping and systematic fashion."
    Either Trump knew about it, in which case he's guilty, or he didn't, in which case you'd have to ask how he didn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    - ie the Steele dossier and the FISA warrants etc, you tend to believe the Tucker Carlson's and Rush Limbaugh's of the world (Limbaugh on the air for 30 plus years with between 50 and 60 million listeners/subscribers would lead one to believe that if he's not telling the truth he wouldn't have lasted that long).
    In the above, Carlson averages around 4 million viewers. According to various sources, Limbaugh has around 20 million subscribers to his radio show.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I could go on and on about CNN and the MSM - things like the reporting of mass shootings with the requisite shock and horror (which is fine and appropriate) but then totally ignoring the carnage in Chicago (which in itself is a weekly mass shooting) and others parts of the country. Things like reporting that the president said the KKK were good people in the aftermath of Charlottesville or that he said "All Mexicans are rapists" or more recently when they said he called the military losers and bums. It would be pure suicide for him to say any of those things but the MSM don't care. They'll throw mud at the wall and hope it sticks.
    Trump said there were "very fine people on both sides" in Charlotteville. Here's a video of him saying it, at 1:42. White supremacists marched in Charlotteville. Is he saying they are fine people?


    Trump said the Mexicans that were coming into the country were bringing drugs, were bringing crime, and are rapists. Here's a video of him saying it
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #436
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    184
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Fox were on 4.2 million in March - https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/category/ratings/ - and averaged 3.6 million in August - https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoy.../#126a4ce54ce5

    Note - if CNN were up 15% then this past year they were averaging 1.46 million, not 900,000


    The investigation concluded that Russia had interfered in the election, and is available here: https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

    Either Trump knew about it, in which case he's guilty, or he didn't, in which case you'd have to ask how he didn't.


    In the above, Carlson averages around 4 million viewers. According to various sources, Limbaugh has around 20 million subscribers to his radio show.


    Trump said there were "very fine people on both sides" in Charlotteville. Here's a video of him saying it, at 1:42.
    Glad you asked the question "Is he saying they (the white supremacists) are fine people?" Because the answer is no. The very fine people he was referring to were the peaceful protesters on different sides of an ideological divide in Charlottesville that day. One group wanted to remove the statue of Robert E. Lee and rename the park and went about their business peacefully. The others (the conservative group) were protesting against that and were also peaceful in their pursuits. And those groups were who Trump was referring to. Antifa and the white supremacists showed up later and it all went south. But it is all explained quite succinctly in the following 6-minute video - criminal really that the MSM pushed a narrative which has caused so much division in this country, just like the "Hands Up Don't Shoot" lie did.

    https://www.prageru.com/video/the-charlottesville-lie/

    Regarding the Mexicans. They do bring drugs into the country, mountains of drugs every year. And they also bring crime with them. And regarding them being rapists - you should know that there are stories of Guatemalan, El Salvadoran, Honduran mothers giving their young daughters contraceptive pills to take with them on their journey across the desert to the US. Why, because there are accounts coming back to them of the rape of these kids by the Mexican traffickers. Donald Trump would have been given that information by the border patrol agents, but it has apparently been happening long before Trump came to power. Are all Mexicans rapists? No, they are not. But Donald Trump never said that all Mexicans are rapists, something he is accused of all the time by those in America who have been fed the lie.

    Ultimately the liberal media (who are the mouthpieces of the Democrat party) want to sew division among the people. Because a divided people is easier to control. And as for the Republicans - 95 per cent of them are just as bad. They are supposed to be the anti-Democrats but they are also beholden to their billionaire donors and lobbyists.

    [...]

    Addressing some of your other points here:

    Limbaugh, you say, has 20 million subscribers. I don't dispute that. He may have 20 million subscribers, but he has 50 - 60 million listeners.

    Regarding Trump and Russia, the charge was that Trump colluded with the Russians to win the election. You are referring, I think, to the fact that the Russians interfered in the election (I think that's what you're saying Tets, please correct me if I'm wrong). The Russians did interfere in the election to the tune of about $100 K for social media messaging and commercials. No one disputes that. And they'll be doing the same again this time around along with China and possibly be spending even more money. But again the charge was that Trump colluded with Putin and the Russians, something which just isn't true. And about the Special Counsel investigation, do you remember Robert Mueller saying he didn't know who Christopher Steele was, when he was asked to explain his findings after the report came out? I'll say one thing for you Tets. You actually know who Christopher Steele is and you actually know about the Steele dossier. That puts you ahead of about 300 million Americans.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 30/09/2020 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Cleanup

  21. #437
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,790
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    426
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,426
    Thanked in
    701 Posts
    PragerU - dangerous crowd.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PragerU

    PragerU, short for Prager University, is an American non-profit organization that creates videos on various political, economic, and philosophical topics from an American conservative or right-wing perspective.
    Calls itself a university but:

    PragerU is not a university or academic institution, and does not hold classes, grant certifications or diplomas, and is not accredited by any recognized body]
    Likes to target teenagers not adults:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/04/u...niversity.html

    Dennis Prager believes teenagers are more open to conservative ideas than millennials. With PragerU, hes making a play to get around their professors
    .

  22. #438
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    56
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    40
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Mark, fair play for keeping a reasonably civil tone but please keep the casual Mexican racism in check. You provided 0 sources again to back up some very inflammatory opinions above. I live in a Mexican dominated community and they are lovely people, undeserving of your generalizations. Their music is ****e mind....

    Most importantly though - Why do you think Fox is reliable because of viewership numbers? You think they are held to journalistic standards because they have more eyes on them? You know MSNBC and CNN combined have more viewers right? And you'd lump them in your category of MSM with similar views so why don't they get held to the same standards as Fox?
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...uarter-1301220

    Here's a quick example of how viewership might not work for you as a sign of truth with another large media source reporting the opposite of what you've been told, evidently on Fox:

    You've said most of the protests are violent yes? That's nonsense. You've believed a narrative based on a handful of Youtube clips and a few paid talking heads on Fox who know their audience and want ratings so they aim for stoking prejudice and fear in a scared and prejudiced country. Sure I could send you as many clips of unwarranted police brutality or obvious agitators out there trying to incite violence at peaceful protests. I've been at 3 protests and seen 0 violence, once as part of the protest and twice just stuck in the traffic they created. There's a first hand account but more reliably (for you) should be Time.com reporting that 93% of the protests are are peaceful.

    Time is the largest weekly magazine in the world with a viewership in the US of 20m. Its online arm alone get's 27.1M unique visitors. So it would be under the same scrutiny as Fox by your logic yeah? How could they come up with such a different worldview to yours? Time is owned by Marc Benioff, a previous Republican and now Independent who has donated to candidates from multiple parties but has moved away from making political statements since buying Time. So hardly a puppet of the ever-powerful-but-not-actually-in-power Democrats?

    https://time.com/5886348/report-peaceful-protests/

    So you are being fed a narrative by your exclusive diet of right wing opinion sites and "news analysts" and you haven't sought to question it at any point despite the well known issues Fox has had with sticking to the facts:
    https://www.politifact.com/article/2...fox-news-lies/ - there's a fact check of a fact check about the lies that regularly pop up as facts on Fox. Feel free to fact check the fact check.

    Now if you want to discuss the 7% of protests that are violent I'd be happy to. As a man who gets his news from youtube videos, I'd ask how angry you'd be if, for example, your family members, friends or those in your community were being gunned down without cause by the people paid to protect them and you were being shown videos of the murders over and over again. Might you get a bit angry? In a cauldron of tear gas, militarized police, inflammatory rhetoric from the president and heightened tensions, might you throw an auld shoe here or there?

    I'd agree that the media in America is generally biased one way or the other and certainly uses fear to drive ratings so I'm not exactly sure why you think Rupert Murdoch's Fox is any different given how afraid of Mexicans and BLM it seems to have made you. Why wouldn't you attempt to find unbiased sources given how politicized and polarized everything is here and why do you trust everything you watch on tv given that you think the MSM (which oddly doesn't include Fox for you despite your knowledge of how truly mainstream it is here) is controlled by one political party? Would it not be more effective to read a wider spectrum of sources and engage a bit of critical thinking than to sit in front of what's being fed to you and accept it as fact without concern?

    As you said before - "Everything I have posted over the last couple of days is a true account of what I have watched on TV, I promise you." - I believe you. Might be time to step away from the TV for a bit.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 29/09/2020 at 8:23 PM.

  23. Thanks From:


  24. #439
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,743
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    911
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,677
    Thanked in
    2,372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Glad you asked the question "Is he saying they (the white supremacists) are fine people?" Because the answer is no. The very fine people he was referring to were the peaceful protesters on different sides of an ideological divide in Charlottesville that day. One group wanted to remove the statue of Robert E. Lee and rename the park and went about their business peacefully. The others (the conservative group) were protesting against that and were also peaceful in their pursuits. And those groups were who Trump was referring to. Antifa and the white supremacists showed up later and it all went south.
    But it is all explained quite succinctly in the following 6-minute video - criminal really that the MSM pushed a narrative which has caused so much division in this country, just like the "Hands Up Don't Shoot" lie did.

    https://www.prageru.com/video/the-charlottesville-lie/
    PragerU have claimed that straight people cannot contract HIV, lied about climate change, and has had numerous videos restricted, or removed, by YouTube for breaking their terms and conditions of use. They have no credibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Regarding the Mexicans. They do bring drugs into the country, mountains of drugs every year. And they also bring crime with them.
    According to these studies, there is no connection between a rise the number of immigrants in an area and crime
    https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...ants-and-crime
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tion-myth.html
    https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...inal-immigrant

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    And regarding them being rapists - you should know that there are stories of Guatemalan, El Salvadoran, Honduran mothers giving their young daughters contraceptive pills to take with them on their journey across the desert to the US. Why, because there are accounts coming back to them of the rape of these kids by the Mexican traffickers.
    I can find no such stories.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Donald Trump would have been given that information by the border patrol agents, but it has apparently been happening long before Trump came to power. Are all Mexicans rapists? No, they are not. But Donald Trump never said that all Mexicans are rapists, something he is accused of all the time by those in America who have been fed the lie.
    I would like to see some of these accusations. All I can find are people debating the claim he made that the Mexicans coming to the US are rapists that I posted above.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Addressing some of your other points here:

    Limbaugh, you say, has 20 million subscribers. I don't dispute that. He may have 20 million subscribers, but he has 50 - 60 million listeners.
    According to this - http://www.talkers.com/top-talk-audiences/ - Limbaugh averages 15 million listeners a week. Various sources claim he peaked with 20 million in the 90s.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Regarding Trump and Russia, the charge was that Trump colluded with the Russians to win the election. You are referring, I think, to the fact that the Russians interfered in the election (I think that's what you're saying Tets, please correct me if I'm wrong). The Russians did interfere in the election to the tune of about $100 K for social media messaging and commercials. No one disputes that. And they'll be doing the same again this time around along with China and possibly be spending even more money. But again the charge was that Trump colluded with Putin and the Russians, something which just isn't true. And about the Special Counsel investigation, do you remember Robert Mueller saying he didn't know who Christopher Steele was, when he was asked to explain his findings after the report came out? I'll say one thing for you Tets. You actually know who Christopher Steele is and you actually know about the Steele dossier. That puts you ahead of about 300 million Americans.
    This is the quote from Mueller, from here https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...liar-with-that Going on this, he knows who Steele is, he just can't speak about the dossier, and was outside the scope of his investigation
    I therefore will not be able to answer questions about certain areas that I know are of public interest. For example, I am unable to address questions about the opening of the FBIs Russia investigation, which occurred months before my appointment, or matters related to the so-called 'Steele Dossier.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  25. #440
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    184
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    PragerU have claimed that straight people cannot contract HIV, lied about climate change, and has had numerous videos restricted, or removed, by YouTube for breaking their terms and conditions of use. They have no credibility.


    According to these studies, there is no connection between a rise the number of immigrants in an area and crime
    https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...ants-and-crime
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tion-myth.html
    https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...inal-immigrant


    I can find no such stories.


    I would like to see some of these accusations. All I can find are people debating the claim he made that the Mexicans coming to the US are rapists that I posted above.


    According to this - http://www.talkers.com/top-talk-audiences/ - Limbaugh averages 15 million listeners a week. Various sources claim he peaked with 20 million in the 90s.


    This is the quote from Mueller, from here https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...liar-with-that Going on this, he knows who Steele is, he just can't speak about the dossier, and was outside the scope of his investigation
    "PragerU have claimed that straight people cannot contract HIV, lied about climate change, and has had numerous videos restricted, or removed, by YouTube for breaking their terms and conditions of use. They have no credibility."

    They have no credibility? Tets you are better than that. They have millions of viewers of their videos and they have tons of credibility. You speak about HIV and climate change etc, but what about Charlottesville? Are you telling me that in that video they are lying about Charlottesville? The guy spells it out plainer than daylight. Let's do this: Can you send me a link (now I sound like you) from a major American media channel of DT saying that white supremacists or the KKK are good people? You know he didn't say it just like he didn't say "All Mexicans are rapists." He wouldn't have lasted another day in politics had he said those words. The Republicans, useless bunch that they are, even they would have stepped up and called for a vote of no confidence in their president, if he had uttered those words.

    I was going to tell you of breaking news in America tonight which claims that in 2016 Hillary Clinton approved a plan with Russian intelligence to set up Trump. It is just breaking so take that for what it is - I'm sure there will be more on it tomorrow. But for now, and tonight (as of 7pm EST) everyone is looking forward to the big debate.

    Have a little faith, mate. I am trying to keep you updated with things as they happen.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Politics in football?
    By Dassa in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19/05/2006, 4:39 PM
  2. Politics Test?
    By Poor Student in forum Current Affairs
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05/02/2006, 11:55 AM
  3. eL politics
    By @ndy in forum Cork City
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01/07/2003, 1:59 PM
  4. More Politics (FAO: Conor)
    By Macy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29/05/2003, 10:02 AM
  5. Politics, Politics
    By Shed End John in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05/12/2002, 2:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •