Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: American Politics

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Never watched US current affairs TV much until recently Couldn't believe how biased CNN was. I knew about Fox from the other side but CNN had a reporter crying when news of Biden's election broke. They all but let off firecrackers in the studio. I suppose I am used to RTE/BBC where they give the Government spokesperson their say and then soundbites from a few of the opposition parties. CNN was just one Democratic politician after another.Who do you get balanced reporting from in the US ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Who do you get balanced reporting from in the US ?
    I don't bother with any of them for just that reason. NPR and PBS get mentioned in this context. I can't say I've seen enough to speak for either, but they're notable for being non-commercial.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It depends on what you mean by balance. If you're looking for balance between Democrat and Republican, then you've a pretty narrow frame of reference for two camps who more or less believe in the same things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Never watched US current affairs TV much until recently Couldn't believe how biased CNN was. I knew about Fox from the other side but CNN had a reporter crying when news of Biden's election broke. They all but let off firecrackers in the studio. I suppose I am used to RTE/BBC where they give the Government spokesperson their say and then soundbites from a few of the opposition parties. CNN was just one Democratic politician after another.Who do you get balanced reporting from in the US ?
    Republican Senator Rick Santorum was sitting beside him when that happened
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I knew about Fox from the other side but CNN had a reporter crying when news of Biden's election broke.
    Van Jones.

Big friend of the Trumps - a clown.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    CNN used to be more middle of the road. It's true they have become more like left leaning MSNBC. There's a real hole now in centrist coverage. Fox News tried to make a play in the summer, but the core audience remains Republicans and their ratings really tanked once they began to move more towards the middle, so they shifted back to their bread and butter.

In the early years of Bush II MSNBC had fired the likes of Bill Moyes and became a right leaning network much like Fox News. That's why Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman, is on MSNBC. He joined during that era.

The greatest irony is that Trump didn't get big because of Fox News. NBC, CNN and MSNBC built him up to a wider American audience. He was friends with Joe and Mika, so they kept inviting him on. He was friends with the head of CNN, Jeff Zucker, who executive produced The Apprentice while at NBC. Plus, whether you loved or loathed Trump, he made great television. He was outspoken. He would always make himself available for soundbites and interviews. He would speak with almost anyone and everyone. He was savvy in that way.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It depends on what you mean by balance. If you're looking for balance between Democrat and Republican, then you've a pretty narrow frame of reference for two camps who more or less believe in the same things.
    5 years ago that may of been true but the lack of support to bring investigations into Trump's role in the capitol riots show that there is significant difference in the outlooks of the core of each party
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well I think political parties tend to be like that, same as Fine Gael and Fianna Fail agreeing on most things but voting against each other's motions (before they were forced into bed together). Most Republican representatives are embarrassed of Trump but that doesn't mean they won't tow the party line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    This perfectly sums up the hypocrisy over here right now.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Just watched his presser from his base camp, flung a lot of allegations around, some sounded very unwise in the circumstances particularly in relation to the judge dealing with this. The fact check breakdown on it will be immediate and well broadcast no doubt & worth a read. It'll also be long, it was a solid twenty five minutes of embittered whataboutery. But he did look rattled also, less bombastic, body language more shrunken. First time I think I've seen something take its toll visibly on him, but then he's after one hell of a day.

His lawyer looked full on swivel eyed frothing at the mouth earlier in NY. All composure long gone, God love him.

Whatever you think of the guy ( & I'd use petrol to put him out ) these charges do whiff of weaponised politicisation of the process.

The Georgia phone call & the Jan 6th ones are where the real story will be told. ( according to what I watched tonight anyway )
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 05/04/2023 at 2:46 AM.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Just watched his presser from his base camp, flung a lot of allegations around, some sounded very unwise in the circumstances particularly in relation to the judge dealing with this. The fact check breakdown on it will be immediate and well broadcast no doubt & worth a read. It'll also be long, it was a solid twenty five minutes of embittered whataboutery. But he did look rattled also, less bombastic, body language more shrunken. First time I think I've seen something take its toll visibly on him, but then he's after one hell of a day.

His lawyer looked full on swivel eyed frothing at the mouth earlier in NY. All composure long gone, God love him.

Whatever you think of the guy ( & I'd use petrol to put him out ) these charges do whiff of weaponised politicisation of the process.

The Georgia phone call & the Jan 6th ones are where the real story will be told. ( according to what I watched tonight anyway )
    Sums up what is wrong about the whole system over there.

However if he ends up in jail re contempt of court - hew won't be able to blame politics on that one.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    Had a feeling that this might be the one to land the first blow. Still not sure what direct impact it will have since it’s a civil action, and he's obviously going to appeal. The MAGA brigade will just see it as the deep state, witch hunt yada-yadda, and the other side knew it already. It might have some short-term impact on Republican donors, maybe shift a few waverers from Rep to Dem or Lib, or add some impetus to the pending criminal cases. Apart from that ...? Still, it's a headline a long tiem coming.

Jury finds Donald Trump sexually abused columnist E Jean Carroll
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829