Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 343

Thread: American Politics

  1. #201
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    The mainstream media? That graph is from whitehouse.gov. It was released by the Trump administration!
    Peadar, to get an idea of what the American mainstream media are capable of and responsible for, try to get your hands on a copy of The Trayvon Hoax.
    This just published book is also coming out (or perhaps is already out) in movie form.

    www.thetrayvonhoax.com

    I wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas.

  2. #202
    International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Limerick for now.
    Posts
    7,377
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,128
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,556
    Thanked in
    854 Posts
    Regarding the impeachment, this point was always coming - the point when he was impeached by Congress and the process was due to progress to the Senate. I wonder what the Democrat plan is from this point forward. I've never been able to guess what they actually want now.

    Do they want a trial in the Senate? I don't see a Senate trial ever forcing Trump out of office, because, lets not kids ourselves, there won't be any impartial jurors, even if they aren't as open about it as McConnell has been. So I don't see how the Democrats can 'win' that.

    Do they simply not progress further? What are the implications of that? The Republicans will be rightly criticising them for only doing the easy half of the job.

    Do they use the disagreement over trial regulations as a way to delay, and wait until closer to elections and mire Trump down in that?

  3. #203
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    18,234
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    889
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,501
    Thanked in
    2,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Peadar, to get an idea of what the American mainstream media are capable of and responsible for, try to get your hands on a copy of The Trayvon Hoax.
    This just published book is also coming out (or perhaps is already out) in movie form.

    www.thetrayvonhoax.com

    I wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas.
    The author of the book has released a documentary claiming that Elvis is still alive, another that Paul McCartney is dead, and yet another that Barack Obama's biological father is a communist.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #204
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The author of the book has released a documentary claiming that Elvis is still alive, another that Paul McCartney is dead, and yet another that Barack Obama's biological father is a communist.
    News to me. Was he trying to make some larger theoretical point with those assertions? Don't know what it could have been but..........
    In any event the book is all very factual and is a major indictment on the American media who had all the facts at their disposal 7 years ago but chose not to disclose them to the public as it would have interfered with their ongoing narrative. This case prompted the beginning of BLM. And I have not seen any rebuttal of the facts he presents in the book (other than perhaps from the family, but they did reportedly get $2m dollars from sales of memorabilia). Ultimately Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman are victims of a media which wants to perpuate division among Americans. A lot of heretofore unknown facts came out about Zimmerman (which show him as a supporter of Obama, mentor of black youth and all around good person - wonder why the media never told us that at the time?). Just a couple of weeks ago Zimmerman, whose life has been destroyed, filed a major lawsuit against all concerned.

  6. #205
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Regarding the impeachment, this point was always coming - the point when he was impeached by Congress and the process was due to progress to the Senate. I wonder what the Democrat plan is from this point forward. I've never been able to guess what they actually want now.

    Do they want a trial in the Senate? I don't see a Senate trial ever forcing Trump out of office, because, lets not kids ourselves, there won't be any impartial jurors, even if they aren't as open about it as McConnell has been. So I don't see how the Democrats can 'win' that.

    Do they simply not progress further? What are the implications of that? The Republicans will be rightly criticising them for only doing the easy half of the job.

    Do they use the disagreement over trial regulations as a way to delay, and wait until closer to elections and mire Trump down in that?
    You are on the right track here osarusan. They certainly are employing delaying tactics. Word is that they are hoping to turn some Republicans and get enough votes for a full impeachment (but it does not seem to be working at this point in time). You do realize I hope that Donald Trump has been denied due process in all of this (ie the right to call his own witnesses and the right to cross-examine the ones already presented). And where is the whistleblower? American law states that any person facing a charge in a court has the right to face their accuser. This has also been denied him. The whistleblower has all of a sudden disappeared. With that said, the real reason for their delaying tactics is the health of Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Supreme Court Judge). She is in her 90's and has been in and out of the hospital. If Trump has an impeachment charge hanging over him he cannot appoint a new Supreme Court Judge which, if he did, would turn the court conservative for decades to come (I would bet that neither RTE or the BBC gave you that perspective?). Indeed someone joked the other day that Bader Ginsburg may already be dead and Jeffrey Epstein may still be alive.

  7. #206
    Coach Poor Student's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,931
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    206
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    69
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    You are on the right track here osarusan. They certainly are employing delaying tactics. Word is that they are hoping to turn some Republicans and get enough votes for a full impeachment (but it does not seem to be working at this point in time). You do realize I hope that Donald Trump has been denied due process in all of this (ie the right to call his own witnesses and the right to cross-examine the ones already presented). And where is the whistleblower? American law states that any person facing a charge in a court has the right to face their accuser. This has also been denied him. The whistleblower has all of a sudden disappeared. With that said, the real reason for their delaying tactics is the health of Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Supreme Court Judge). She is in her 90's and has been in and out of the hospital. If Trump has an impeachment charge hanging over him he cannot appoint a new Supreme Court Judge which, if he did, would turn the court conservative for decades to come (I would bet that neither RTE or the BBC gave you that perspective?). Indeed someone joked the other day that Bader Ginsburg may already be dead and Jeffrey Epstein may still be alive.
    Ginsburg is 86, not in her 90s.

  8. #207
    Seasoned Pro peadar1987's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    753
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    799
    Thanked in
    471 Posts
    Trump threatening on Twitter to destroy Iranian cultural sites. Classy guy.

  9. #208
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Trump threatening on Twitter to destroy Iranian cultural sites. Classy guy.
    A classy guy - that's one way of describing him. Particularly since he showed great restraint today in not responding to the missile attack of last night.
    Remember this is the guy (Trump) who is "crazy" and is "going to get us into World War III". North Korea and now Iran - he's not doing too well on that score at the moment, is he?
    But feel free to commend him at any time.

  10. #209
    Director dahamsta's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    13,561
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    335
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    674
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...ither/fdaj6jx/

    Trump is a crook and a failure. He is only a hero to other crooks and failures.

  11. #210
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...ither/fdaj6jx/

    Trump is a crook and a failure. He is only a hero to other crooks and failures.

    The crimes and offences are all subjective and laughable, to be honest. Other than that he's defeated ISIS, has seen work started on the border wall, has brought manufacturing back to America in spades (along with 6 million new jobs), is draining the swamp (something neither you nor I even knew existed under Obama, Bush etc - I wonder why?) and has placed America first and foremost in everything he does, unlike other presidents for decades beforehand. He's winning the trade war with China and has just signed a great new MCA agreement while others are in the works with Japan and South Korea. He could and possibly should do more to prevent the tons of drugs crossing the border from Mexico, something I see doesn't appear to concern you? The Dow Jones has broken record after record (remember it was going to go into freefall and never recover on the day he was inaugurated). Ultimately the American public has learned an awful lot about their country under Donald Trump, things which were kept hidden all of their lives by so-called statesmen politicians. He has broken the mould for politicians going forward - I would think that none of them (Democrat or Republican) will be allowed to get away with concealing such things ever again. BUT HE'S A FAILURE?? I will be as charitable as I can to you and say that you are likely much more well versed in Irish politics than you are in those of the American variety, by virtue of the fact that you live in Ireland (correct me if I'm wrong).

  12. #211
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,683
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    407
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,373
    Thanked in
    673 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Ultimately the American public has learned an awful lot about their country under Donald Trump, things which were kept hidden all of their lives by so-called statesmen politicians. He has broken the mould for politicians going forward - I would think that none of them (Democrat or Republican) will be allowed to get away with concealing such things ever again. .
    Obviously this entire post is the worst in the history of the internet and shouldn't be discussed let alone tolerated but I found this nugget of fantasy particularly interesting.

    Any sign of Trump releasing his tax returns? I mean in the interests of non-concealment.
    If a dog weighs under 50 lbs it's a cat, and cats are useless.

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #212
    Seasoned Pro peadar1987's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    753
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    799
    Thanked in
    471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    A classy guy - that's one way of describing him. Particularly since he showed great restraint today in not responding to the missile attack of last night.
    Remember this is the guy (Trump) who is "crazy" and is "going to get us into World War III". North Korea and now Iran - he's not doing too well on that score at the moment, is he?
    But feel free to commend him at any time.
    The missile attack which was a retaliation for a missile attack of his own? Which unlike the American missile strike, didn't kill anyone? I don't think he should get too much credit for not escalating the situation any more than he already has.

    "Not starting WW3" is a pretty low bar to hold a president to IMHO.

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #213
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    The missile attack which was a retaliation for a missile attack of his own? Which unlike the American missile strike, didn't kill anyone? I don't think he should get too much credit for not escalating the situation any more than he already has.

    "Not starting WW3" is a pretty low bar to hold a president to IMHO.
    The missile attack of his own was years in the making. It was a retaliation against someone who had the blood of over 600 American soldiers on his hands, who engineered the attack on the embassy, who had a hand in the intercepting of the vessels in the Straits Of Hormuz and was planning further attacks on Americans. Reportedly the US tried to bring him to trial in 2007, but those 'civilized methods' didn't exactly bear fruit. Soleyiman saw American weakness for what it was with the Obama administration's givng of $150 billion to Iran (money for schools and hospitals perhaps? but why do that when we can build a big bomb to kill Jews and Americans).

    It's absolutely insane here in America to listen to media types talk about Soleyiman as if he was some type of hero. No one even knew he existed up to a week ago, and all of a sudden they're talking about him like a long lost friend. There were plenty in America this week, Peadar, who were egging Donald Trump on to retaliate on a large scale against Iran. These are the same people who are only too happy to place the 'lunatic who is likely to get us into WW3' label on him, among many other labels. He has disappointed them and not for the first time.

  17. #214
    Seasoned Pro peadar1987's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,560
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    753
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    799
    Thanked in
    471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    The missile attack of his own was years in the making. It was a retaliation against someone who had the blood of over 600 American soldiers on his hands, who engineered the attack on the embassy, who had a hand in the intercepting of the vessels in the Straits Of Hormuz and was planning further attacks on Americans. Reportedly the US tried to bring him to trial in 2007, but those 'civilized methods' didn't exactly bear fruit.
    If we're talking about things that were years in the making, the whole thing dates back to the 1950s, when the US and UK deposed Mohammed Mossadeq, the democratically elected, liberal, secular prime minister, because he tried to nationalise the oil industry. That was what started the slide towards the Ayatollah Khomeini and the repressive Islamic republic. That's where the whole "death to America" thing in Iran has its roots.

    Soleyiman saw American weakness for what it was with the Obama administration's givng of $150 billion to Iran (money for schools and hospitals perhaps? but why do that when we can build a big bomb to kill Jews and Americans).
    There are a few things wrong with this:
    -The Obama administration didn't "give" $150 billion to Iran. An international agreement, of which the US was a part, agreed a deal in which $150 billion worth of Iranian assets would be unfrozen and sanctions lifted, in exchange for Iran halting uranium enrichment and allowing international inspectors access to inspect its civilian nuclear facilities. That brings them further from that "big bomb".

    Since Trump pulled back from the deal, Iran have resumed uranium enrichment.

  18. #215
    Director dahamsta's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    13,561
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    335
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    674
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Trump Golf Count

    It should be noted that Trump owns the golf clubs and hotels he visits, every visit is a clear violation of the emoluments clause.

    • Days Trump has spent at Mar a Lago: 114
    • Cost of flights to Mar a Lago (26 so far):* ~$51,400,000
    • Days Trump has spent at Bedminster: 75
    • Cost of flights to Bedminster (23 so far):* ~$18,375,500
    • Trump has visited his clubs once every this many days since his inauguration: 4.5
    • Projected visits to golf clubs in four years: 323
    • Projected visits in eight years: 645
    • Total times Obama played golf during his eight year Presidency: 306
    Last edited by dahamsta; 11/01/2020 at 7:44 PM.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #216
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    If we're talking about things that were years in the making, the whole thing dates back to the 1950s, when the US and UK deposed Mohammed Mossadeq, the democratically elected, liberal, secular prime minister, because he tried to nationalise the oil industry. That was what started the slide towards the Ayatollah Khomeini and the repressive Islamic republic. That's where the whole "death to America" thing in Iran has its roots.


    There are a few things wrong with this:
    -The Obama administration didn't "give" $150 billion to Iran. An international agreement, of which the US was a part, agreed a deal in which $150 billion worth of Iranian assets would be unfrozen and sanctions lifted, in exchange for Iran halting uranium enrichment and allowing international inspectors access to inspect its civilian nuclear facilities. That brings them further from that "big bomb".

    Since Trump pulled back from the deal, Iran have resumed uranium enrichment.
    Fair enough point Peadar about the history dating back to 1950.
    From my perspective Iran got a windfall of $150 billion a few years back. Thier mindset, just like that of N. Korea, is to build a bomb. And also just like N. Korea, no one in the international arena feels comfortable with Iran having said bomb. I recall the absolute naivety of John Kerry when the deal was signed,with him talking about the money being used for an Iranian nuclear program which would be used for peaceful means. People were questioning Kerry's sanity after that and they were proved right this week as Iran is going full force ahead for a nuclear weapon, after the events of last week. In America the talk now is about something needing to be done with Iran in the next ten months as that is the time frame when the Iranian regime is likely to achieve its goal. Diplomacy is on the table per Donald Trump - hopefully the Iranians will accept the offer.

  21. #217
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    178
    Thanked in
    129 Posts
    Most of the world's business deals are done on the golf course, it would appear.

  22. #218
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,683
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    407
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,373
    Thanked in
    673 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Trump Golf Count

    It should be noted that Trump owns the golf clubs and hotels he visits, every visit is a clear violation of the emoluments clause.

    • Days Trump has spent at Mar a Lago: 114
    • Cost of flights to Mar a Lago (26 so far):* ~$51,400,000
    • Days Trump has spent at Bedminster: 75
    • Cost of flights to Bedminster (23 so far):* ~$18,375,500
    • Trump has visited his clubs once every this many days since his inauguration: 4.5
    • Projected visits to golf clubs in four years: 323
    • Projected visits in eight years: 645
    • Total times Obama played golf during his eight year Presidency: 306
    Trump has his own golf pro.

    Andrew Giulaini, son for former New York major Rudy Giulaini.

    Dave Hannigan wrote an interesting article about him

    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gol...ence-1.4128341
    If a dog weighs under 50 lbs it's a cat, and cats are useless.

  23. #219
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    30
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    The missile attack of his own was years in the making. It was a retaliation against someone who had the blood of over 600 American soldiers on his hands, who engineered the attack on the embassy, who had a hand in the intercepting of the vessels in the Straits Of Hormuz and was planning further attacks on Americans. Reportedly the US tried to bring him to trial in 2007, but those 'civilized methods' didn't exactly bear fruit. Soleyiman saw American weakness for what it was with the Obama administration's givng of $150 billion to Iran (money for schools and hospitals perhaps? but why do that when we can build a big bomb to kill Jews and Americans).

    It's absolutely insane here in America to listen to media types talk about Soleyiman as if he was some type of hero. No one even knew he existed up to a week ago, and all of a sudden they're talking about him like a long lost friend. There were plenty in America this week, Peadar, who were egging Donald Trump on to retaliate on a large scale against Iran. These are the same people who are only too happy to place the 'lunatic who is likely to get us into WW3' label on him, among many other labels. He has disappointed them and not for the first time.
    Can't believe I'm commenting on a foot.ie post about American politics but..........Mark - Is not starting wars your bar for being the "Greatest President in US History" as you called him? That's like congratulating a child for not pulling his sister's hair. The missile attack was caused by Trump for gods sake.

    Your list of accomplishments above is also strange. What does "draining the swamp" mean to you? I know what he promised...but where is the evidence that he has achieved anything? He basically reduced the numbers of employees at government agencies who regulate business and increased those (by massive amounts) at Homeland Security and the VA (the latter of which is maybe the only thing I agree with). He has filled agencies with lobbyists, which runs exactly counter to the idea of "draining the swamp". He hasn't drained a thing - he just filled it with more alligators and leeches.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand.../#79ac48f57060
    https://www.propublica.org/article/w...on-dc-insiders


    I live in the States. My 401k is doing ok. As it was under Obama at various points and probably will be again after Trump. That's fine but many don't have stock or a 401k and the vast majority don't have enough to make swings in the stock market a useful measure of progress. It's great for Trump and his donor-class of course.

    https://www.factcheck.org/2019/10/tr...r-2019-update/
    https://www.factcheck.org/2012/10/obamas-numbers/

    Pick any economic metric you want and claim it shows that Trump is doing a good job but the truth is way more complicated and it's notoriously hard to credit things solely to a President. He's only been in power for 3 years. Some good stuff happened (enough to satisfy his base) but the vast majority of his Presidency has been a **** show with very little meaningful progress. Some manufacturing jobs came back but long term they are at risk of automation so that's a stop gap measure.

    Trump:
    > promotes sexual assault and misogyny - he's a creep and always has been. Too much evidence to even list.
    > defends neo-nazis as "good people" (even after they've murder innocent civilians)
    > uses language and content that incites violence against his opponents - https://www.macleans.ca/politics/was...ites-violence/
    > loves a bit of Nepotism
    > hasn't delivered on any but the most pointless or misguided of his campaign promises. The vast majority of what he has accomplished is at best controversial and against the will of at least half the country - https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...browse/?page=5. VA improvements are the one plus.
    > mocks the disabled
    > makes horrendous, incompetent, corrupt and utterly partisan appointments to the Supreme Court and federal agencies, often appointing people with massive conflicts of interest who are completely opposed to regulating the areas they are supposed to protect/promote - see Scott Pruitt and Betsy DeVos among the roll-call of desperately unfit leeches involved.
    > has no grasp of international law, see "we will bomb their (Iran's) cultural sites" or "we will take their (Syria's) oil"
    > has no grasp of important concepts but loves to talk about them, see his analysis of wind power
    > is generally a spiteful, childish, narcissistic individual who is no role model
    > is using the Presidency for his OWN PROFIT - https://www.opensecrets.org/trump/trump-properties
    > is incoherent at best and consistently forgets what he has said, invents poll numbers (or uses the ones he gets from his own outbound emails) or outright lies to the public on a ridiculously regular basis - https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

    If you're happy enough with all of that then more power to you.

    P.S. Nobody in the US is claiming Suleimani was a hero and most didn't even know who he was until recently either. Again, I live here and he was news to me. He was a sometimes ally, sometimes enemy who was certainly anti-American and probably encouraging attacks on American forces via militias around the Middle East. Should he have been killed? Maybe. But to carry out the arguably extra judicial assassination of Iran's second most powerful official is a ridiculously dangerous move and likely resulted in the deaths of 67 innocent Canadians while giving Iran a new martyr to rally around. Will we end up in WW3? - not a chance. Was it a bad move? - well time will tell but you'd expect retaliation. Was it timed to distract from impeachment and help Trump's bid for re-election - Well....I'm no cynic but....Yeah. https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...uleimani-trump

  24. Thanks From:


  25. #220
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,683
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    407
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,373
    Thanked in
    673 Posts
    It's 409k now. Gone up 8k.
    If a dog weighs under 50 lbs it's a cat, and cats are useless.

  26. Thanks From:


Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Politics in football?
    By Dassa in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19/05/2006, 5:39 PM
  2. Politics Test?
    By Poor Student in forum Current Affairs
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05/02/2006, 12:55 PM
  3. eL politics
    By @ndy in forum Cork City
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01/07/2003, 2:59 PM
  4. More Politics (FAO: Conor)
    By Macy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29/05/2003, 11:02 AM
  5. Politics, Politics
    By Shed End John in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05/12/2002, 3:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •