Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derry City and Brexit

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Bringing 19,000 to Cork City and a brass band showed up!
    What were crowds like elsewhere in the 80's? I only started going to games regularly in the late 90's.
    Crowds were poor for everyone except Rovers from my memory. And then they left Glenmalure Park and suffered a boycott, so their crowds went down too.

Very few away fans for anyone except Derry.

Some clubs could get a couple of thousand for big games = Dundalk, Cork, Sligo. But generally attendances were poor, and lower than today. Particularly Bohs from memory amongst the 'bigger' clubs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    It was an excellent programmes - a club and supporters with real heart. Repeated on Thursday. Do watch if you haven't seen it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vcdr

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Crowds were poor for everyone except Rovers from my memory. And then they left Glenmalure Park and suffered a boycott, so their crowds went down too.

Very few away fans for anyone except Derry.

Some clubs could get a couple of thousand for big games = Dundalk, Cork, Sligo. But generally attendances were poor, and lower than today. Particularly Bohs from memory amongst the 'bigger' clubs.
    80`s were pretty grim for crowds alright. The economy had tanked, massive emigration, interest rates in the mid teens. Crowds were terrible everywhere, other than the initial Derry euphoria.There was very little discretionary spend. Rovers /Bohs games were the exception, 10,000 at a league game maybe around 85? Rovers dominating through their 4 in a row team didnt improve their crowds, crowds in Glenmalure in the last few seasons were abysmal but rose tinted hooped retrospective would have you believe otherwise.

I agree that Bohs crowds were pretty awful in the 80, a lot of enjoyable memories though, Rangers 3-2, beating Rovers 3-2 from being 2-0 down, Maggot McGee scoring last minute winner v Dundalk in the mud. Lots of awful memories too, defeats v Limerick and Sligo in successive cup finals 82 and 83. Despite occasional big crowds, walking to the stadium you would not know there was a match on Phibsboro had a bed sit population with no links to the club and there was mutual indifference.
    All changed following Euro 88, Italia 90, more interest, bigger crowds. Bohs winning the cup in 92 and the three way play offs for the title the following year were massive. A lot of competition in late 90`s Shels /Pats/Cork City/ Drogs/ Derry lifted crowds everywhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    It was an excellent programmes - a club and supporters with real heart. Repeated on Thursday. Do watch if you haven't seen it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vcdr

Thanks for that i was raging i missed it.
    See if i can spot myself in the crowds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    80`s were pretty grim for crowds alright. The economy had tanked, massive emigration, interest rates in the mid teens. Crowds were terrible everywhere, other than the initial Derry euphoria.There was very little discretionary spend. Rovers /Bohs games were the exception, 10,000 at a league game maybe around 85? Rovers dominating through their 4 in a row team didnt improve their crowds, crowds in Glenmalure in the last few seasons were abysmal but rose tinted hooped retrospective would have you believe otherwise.

I agree that Bohs crowds were pretty awful in the 80, a lot of enjoyable memories though, Rangers 3-2, beating Rovers 3-2 from being 2-0 down, Maggot McGee scoring last minute winner v Dundalk in the mud. Lots of awful memories too, defeats v Limerick and Sligo in successive cup finals 82 and 83. Despite occasional big crowds, walking to the stadium you would not know there was a match on Phibsboro had a bed sit population with no links to the club and there was mutual indifference.
    All changed following Euro 88, Italia 90, more interest, bigger crowds. Bohs winning the cup in 92 and the three way play offs for the title the following year were massive. A lot of competition in late 90`s Shels /Pats/Cork City/ Drogs/ Derry lifted crowds everywhere
    Surprised you have Drogheda in the mix there as they were either promoted or relegated from '93 - '01 and wasnt until mid noughties that they established themselves eventually winning a cup then league mid decade. Their support gave up almost entirely, ground sold to the FAI to keep them ticking over, until Doolin started splashing the cash. Late 90s was a horror era for Dundalk too!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 20/04/2021 at 2:28 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Surprised you have Drogheda in the mix there as they were either promoted or relegated from '93 - '01 and wasnt until mid noughties that they established themselves eventually winning a cup then league mid decade. Their support gave up almost entirely, ground sold to the FAI to keep them ticking over, until Doolin started splashing the cash. Late 90s was a horror era for Dundalk too!
    You are right. Two league titles for Dundalk in the 90`s , so please include ( the crazy day they won in Cork and Derry imploded in Athlone sticks in the mind)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12