74 Posts
    Get a room girls!

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    On a totally different point altogether, has anyone any clips of the penalty shootout as when I recorded the highlights on Eir Sport it only recorded till 118th min and then the shortened highlights didnt show the penalty shootout at all!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Did McGrath dive though?

Umpteenth time asking this simple yes/no question that no one wants to answer.
    I'm not long back from Derry, watched some of the game and McGrath did the right thing, he didn't dive, he jumped out of the way to potentially avoid a broken leg. The intent on the challenge by the Derry lad was enough for a straight red on its own. Reckless stuff and he knew it too.

You sound almost obsessed by this incident Sullanefc.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I'm not long back from Derry, watched some of the game and McGrath did the right thing, he didn't dive, he jumped out of the way to potentially avoid a broken leg. The intent on the challenge by the Derry lad was enough for a straight red on its own. Reckless stuff and he knew it too.

I saw the clip of that incident on Eirsport and Gillespie thoroughly deserved to go.. His lack of discipline was shocking to say the least!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post

I'd love to see McGrath try the 100m hurdles. It would be so funny seeing him fall flat on his face at the first hurdle.

Obsessed? No. Fascinated by the refusal by many on here to see the bleedin obvious.

Yes he has to hurdle the challenge, but he dives to the ground to sell it to the referee. This conversation would have ended hours ago if some of ye came out and admitted it. And I'm fascinated as to why ye won't. It's part of the game.

City got a schooling on it against Larnaca a few years ago as I'm sure Dundalk did last year, but there is no doubt in my mind that Dundalk are the best at it in this league. There were plenty of other minor bumps in the Derry game where Dundalk players "won" frees.

I wish City would do it more often being honest. I know Bohs fans were screaming blue murder when we scraped a win im Dalymount earlier in the season. And while I didn't see that game, I was delighted we did a bit of it. But believe me, as much as Bohs fans might think otherwise, we don't do it half enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I'd love to see McGrath try the 100m hurdles. It would be so funny seeing him fall flat on his face at the first hurdle.

Obsessed? No. Fascinated by the refusal by many on here to see the bleedin obvious.

Yes he has to hurdle the challenge, but he dives to the ground to sell it to the referee. This conversation would have ended hours ago if some of ye came out and admitted it. And I'm fascinated as to why ye won't. It's part of the game.

City got a schooling on it against Larnaca a few years ago as I'm sure Dundalk did last year, but there is no doubt in my mind that Dundalk are the best at it in this league. There were plenty of other minor bumps in the Derry game where Dundalk players "won" frees.

I wish City would do it more often being honest. I know Bohs fans were screaming blue murder when we scraped a win im Dalymount earlier in the season. And while I didn't see that game, I was delighted we did a bit of it. But believe me, as much as Bohs fans might think otherwise, we don't do it half enough.
    With the Cork never tackle policy I can understand your general difficulty around all this. There are a lot better example than this one of players from Dundalk or otherwise exaggerating contact to try and influence the ref. In this example McGrath hurdled the wild tackle and landed on his front. He didnt go clutching at a foot or rolled around. He got up straight after and it was the Derry lad that stayed on the ground in a heap knowing that he was getting a card.

On the general soft frees that get given in football these days, it's a frustration at times but it seems to be accepted that when a player feels contact or a hand on the back then its ok to go over and win a free. The continental sides are the experts at it although they call it game management- breaking up play, taking momentum out of the opposition's attacks etc. It is something that Long, for example, has said that his young players need to get cute at it even though he doesnt like it. It is up to referees to toughen up but if it is technically a foul what can they do as while a player can stay on their feet if there is a shove or any contact even if minimal and a player hits the deck then it is often a free. Hard to watch especially when its your own side that's chasing a game and this is eating in to time and momentum.

By and large the principals of the point you are trying to make have validity when a player overreacts to get a fellow pro sent off but your choice of example on ths occasion is a poor one!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 15/09/2019 at 8:44 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    there is no doubt in my mind that Dundalk are the best in this league.
    Thanks Sully, fixed up a bit of your post.

You've had a long day now, get some rest.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    With the Cork never tackle policy I can understand your general difficulty around all this. There are a lot better example than this one of players from Dundalk or otherwise exaggerating contact to try and influence the ref. In this example McGrath hurdled the wild tackle and landed on his front. He didnt go clutching at a foot or rolled around. He got up straight after and it was the Derry lad that stayed on the ground in a heap knowing that he was getting a card.

On the general soft frees that get given in football these days, it's a frustration at times but it seems to be accepted that when a player feels contact or a hand on the back then its ok to go over and win a free. The continental sides are the experts at it although they call it game management- breaking up play, taking momentum out of the opposition's attacks etc. It is something that Long, for example, has said that his young players need to get cute at it even though he doesnt like it. It is up to referees to toughen up but if it is technically a foul what can they do as while a player can stay on their feet if there is a shove or any contact even if minimal and a player hits the deck then it is often a free. Hard to watch especially when its your own side that's chasing a game and this is eating in to time and momentum.

By and large the principals of the point you are trying to make have validity when a player overreacts to get a fellow pro sent off but your choice of example on ths occasion is a poor one!
    Fair enough post but I disagree with the last paragraph as I think McGrath doesn't need to go to ground in the way that he does. He does it to sell the foul to the referee. He of course could have gone a step further by holding his leg and rolling around a bit but he knew that would be over egging it and everyone knew that the card was coming anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    He didnt need to sell the foul. He hurdled the challange and went to gound and got up. If he had stayed upright to jump the tackle he probaably would have trod on the player. Ifs, buts, maybes, and maybe he ended up on the floor after both avoiding the tackle and to avoid catching the player with a knee etc when sliding through. You are pusing the wrong example. We could do with some of RH's detailed analyisis to help clear this up.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 15/09/2019 at 9:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    He didnt need to sell the foul. He hurdled the challange and went to gound and got up. If he had stayed upright to jump the tackle he probaably would have trod on the player. Ifs, buts, maybes, and maybe he ended up on the floor after both avoiding the tackle and to avoid catching the player with a knee etc when sliding through. You are pusing the wrong example. We could do with some of RH's detailed analyisis to help clear this up.
    I am also dismayed by the lack of intervention from hoops fans on this matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Gillespie deserved to go. He should have been sent off six times over for braindead stupidity, whether McGrath turned into Greg Louganis and gave it a 6.0 from the top of the Southend Stand or not (and he didn't).

What a brilliant, brilliant game. What an occasion. Sometimes when you lose, you still win just cause you get to see something so class. Derry going toe-to-toe with one of the best domestic teams of my lifetime with a man down for an hour - pure magic stuff. Thought the officiating was poor, Gillespie sending off aside, with some icky decisions either way but you can't have everything. Just a great, thrilling bit of football theatre.

Dundalk are infuriatingly good and cute-hooringly infuriating, just like you have to be. I admire them about as much as I dislike them.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

15. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Am I right in thinking that the only games Dundalk have failed to win domestically since mid April are 4 2-2 draws with Derry?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Anybody with a link to a highlights package that includes the red card?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Not sure if this has the full penalty shoot out, but it has the re card and goals anyway

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/...erry-city.html

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the only games Dundalk have failed to win domestically since mid April are 4 2-2 draws with Derry?
    Almost- but just 3 draws (we beat Derry 3-2 in the FAI Cup). Lost back-to-back league games at Pats and Sligo in April. There were some calls for Perth's head. Since then we've played 27 games domestically, 24 wins and 3 2-2 draws with Derry (counting the EA Cup final as a draw)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I am also dismayed by the lack of intervention from hoops fans on this matter.
    They are waiting on the fuzzy photograph 😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Almost- but just 3 draws (we beat Derry 3-2 in the FAI Cup). Lost back-to-back league games at Pats and Sligo in April. There were some calls for Perth's head. Since then we've played 27 games domestically, 24 wins and 3 2-2 draws with Derry (counting the EA Cup final as a draw)
    Ah yes - it was 2-2 after 90 minutes, so it's kind of four in a row.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I really hope that the club identify all those involved!

https://www.dundalkfc.com/club-statement-sep-2019/

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I really hope that the club identify all those involved!

https://www.dundalkfc.com/club-statement-sep-2019/
    A possible cup final V Bohs or shams should sort them out. 😉

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    If you have a look again at the Gillespie second yellow it should be obvious that Grant Gillespie made a dangerous lunge at the ball and was no where near it - it was a yellow card all day long.

Jamie McGrath had already played the ball and appears to hurdle the challenge. Whether McGrath stays on his feet or not is irrelevant, it was a clear booking for a dangerous and late challenge. If he actually connected with McGrath it could easily have been a straight red. The ref was very close to the incident.

Grant Gillespie was thwe author of his own misfortune

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1172968389154938880

Derry played with great spirit and determination for 60 minutes with 10 men
    Can't see why anyone would say McGrath was cheating. He was lucky to be able to avoid the challenge and it was at least a yellow.

27. Thanks From:

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast