Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: League Cup 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I would prefer a neutral venue for a final, but that would probable mean a venue in Dublin. Would sufficient numbers travel for it? In this case, I think they would.
    Would rather have it as a two-legged affair, home and away.
    I don't think you'd get the crowd for a neutral venue. Where would Derry-Dundalk be held, Sligo or Monaghan?
    It was ourselves and Cobh last year, hold the final in Galway or Athlone? I don't think you'd get as big a crowd.

Really hoping for a home draw for this one, as I've a wedding on the scheduled date of 14th September (the groom is hoping the same). If we're home, it'll be moved, as Stute are playing at the Brandy that day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Where would Derry-Dundalk be held,
    Belfast....
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Surely it should be played in the jurisdiction of the organising body? ;-)

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I don't think you'd get the crowd for a neutral venue. Where would Derry-Dundalk be held, Sligo or Monaghan?
    It was ourselves and Cobh last year, hold the final in Galway or Athlone? I don't think you'd get as big a crowd.

Really hoping for a home draw for this one, as I've a wedding on the scheduled date of 14th September (the groom is hoping the same). If we're home, it'll be moved, as Stute are playing at the Brandy that day.
    I thought this was by way of toss of a coin for 'home' advantage ? Bit harsh for the loser (of the toss) but probably more sensible than dragging both clubs to Dublin (cant think of a viable neutral alternative). should be a decent final, Derry have a great recent record in League cup and will be eager to ensure they remain the only club to have won a domestic treble and Dundalk seem to hitting top gear at the right time.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

I wonder could the lack of availability of the Brandywell on 14 Sept have any impact on the *cough* coin toss?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    As Derry had home advantage last year, I think the "coin toss" will favour Dundalk anyway this year. Add that to the unavailability of the Brandywell on the date of the final, and I'd say it's a safe bet to assume the final will be in Dundalk.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

They'd hardly move the game to accommodate another team's league game?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

So its going to be in Oriel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They'd hardly move the game to accommodate another team's league game?
    They didn't last year, and the LC final was moved to the Sunday.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Final in the Brandywell!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Brandywell with an 8:00 kick off to really encourage families to travel. 🙄

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Brandywell with an 8:00 kick off to really encourage families to travel. 
    I have no problem with travelling to the final in the Brandywell and actually look forward it, Derry supporters being among the most hospitable you can find.

The 8pm kick off will certainly curtail the travelling support, especially families. There are also problems relating to the security of travelling buses that need to be addressed as many bus companies are still refusing to travel after repeated window breaking incidents

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I have no problem with travelling to the final in the Brandywell and actually look forward it, Derry supporters being among the most hospitable you can find.

The 8pm kick off will certainly curtail the travelling support, especially families. There are also problems relating to the security of travelling buses that need to be addressed as many bus companies are still refusing to travel after repeated window breaking incidents
    They must have got re-assurances, We just booked Anchor Tours there leaving Dundalk at 1. Cant wait for a day out in Derry. Great City

How many tickets will we get do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I have no issue with the game being in the Brandywell. It’s the 8pm kickoff when this game has been an early evening kickoff the last few years. Is this because of the Institute game on that day, is that still going ahead?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

There are no such problems.

There were for a brief period a number of years ago, but absolutely nothing since.

Even the likes of Linfield and Coleraine fans with their union flags and 'interesting' songs can get in and out of the Brandywell without incident.

Time for any bus companies like that to move into the present tense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    There are no such problems.

There were for a brief period a number of years ago, but absolutely nothing since.

Even the likes of Linfield and Coleraine fans with their union flags and 'interesting' songs can get in and out of the Brandywell without incident.

Time for any bus companies like that to move into the present tense.
    100%

There'll be some line at op when the tickets go on sale.People from Dundalk will go be it by hook,crook,car or bus.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    No issues whatsover this being held in Brandywell, about 10-12 of us stayed up on St Patricks weekend, first league game, brilliant weekend, locals very friendly, prob do same again.

8pm not so good with those travelling up with kids though, wouldn’t be home until close to 1am.

Is the later time (usually 5pm) really to facilitate Institue v Larne kicking off at 3pm, surely that wouldn’t attract any more than 400 ? That could have been moved to Fri night.

Look, it’s the better stadium, as I said no issues overall, looking forward to going up, should be a great weekend.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    The precedent for a draw (transparent or otherwise) is already established as is the fact that the grounds used by both finalists meet licencing criteria - there is probably little to debate about this seasons final.

My personal preference would be for a neutral venue where that is likely to be a financially viable option considering the teams involved
    Licencing criteria are a minimum requirement, I'm talking about the FAI having actual standards for once. Hosting a final should be a reward for hard work on and off the pitch, you can't have a final, that will be televised and built up as a marquee event shouldn't be held in a **** hole. It's bad enough but understandable tharlt oriel is on TV a lot for league games these days but it reflects awfully on the league every time its shown and gives people another stick to beat the league with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    How many tickets will we get do you think?
    As it's an FAI event, does that mean you get half?

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    It’s the 8pm kickoff when this game has been an early evening kickoff the last few years. Is this because of the Institute game on that day, is that still going ahead?
    The 8 o'clock KO is silly, but a consequence of the game not being moved to the Sunday as per last year.

The Stute game seems to be going ahead. It's scheduled for 3 o'clock. Seems like quite the rush to get the Stute/Larne teams out, the dressing rooms cleaned up, etc., in time for the Derry/Dundalk lads arriving in.
    How early before KO does a ground half to be available? It wouldn't be ready until 6 at the earliest, you'd imagine.

Also, none of this solves my wedding conundrum. It's only in Donegal, just over the hills from the Brandy. There's chat of sneaking away for a couple hours....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Is the later time (usually 5pm) really to facilitate Institue v Larne kicking off at 3pm, surely that wouldn’t attract any more than 400 ? That could have been moved to Fri night.
    Stute will have that booked months ago. It'd be very cheeky, and likely a breach of contract, for the Council to turf them out. They could possibly move KO to 2pm, but that wouldn't change the 8pm KO time.

23. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast