Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2019

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    I thought that the Rovers attendance would be topped by Dundalks last night, the league started like a whirlwind with plenty of games and lots of interest but in the last month it has died a death and its mainly due imo to scheduling. Rovers have no game now for two weeks and all that momentum, goodwill and indeed one might argue sympathy from the general public due to being run by the FAI just evaporates.
    You mean having loads of games in quick succession then none for ages isn't the best way to get people regularly going to games? Who'd have thought that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    1311 at Waterford v UCD. Both clubs will have no league games for over a month now due to games being postponed because of international under 21 call ups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Playing the Same teams week after week will feck your attendances up alright. We've.Played Pats and Bohs 3 times april and may(total guess)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Playing the Same teams week after week will feck your attendances up alright. We've.Played Pats and Bohs 3 times april and may(total guess)
    Yeah the 10 team league is great for quality but it's that 3rd round of fixtures (ie the ones on Monday) where the buzz dies off, you've seen everyone twice already but it's not close enough to the end of the season for them to be important crunch games and with the 3rd round being mid second round this season it's hard to build that buzz back up for the remainder of the second round.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    You mean having loads of games in quick succession then none for ages isn't the best way to get people regularly going to games? Who'd have thought that.
    Thanks for that. My whirlwind comment was in relation to the level of media coverage the league got in the first couple of months mainly due to unexpected level of rising attendances, sold out games, Record league crowd in Tallaght etc and how the lack of games and poor scheduling reduces the level of media engagement consequently reducing demand for the product. ahhhh ballix to this i am going for a ball of challk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    About 3,400 at Derry city v Finn Harps.

(Extra time est 3,000 but was definitely a lot more than that).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    from speaking to a club committee member 550 fans attended estimate were at our game! AFAIK only 2 away fans travelled Aaron Brillys parents!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    from speaking to a club committee member 550 fans attended estimate were at our game! AFAIK only 2 away fans travelled Aaron Brillys parents!
    Very poor turn out again. It's demoralising when you see the work the clubs media team are doing, the unbelievable condition the ground is in, the football on show and the atmosphere at the games that more people aren't turning out. Would make you sick actually

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Very poor turn out again. It's demoralising when you see the work the clubs media team are doing, the unbelievable condition the ground is in, the football on show and the atmosphere at the games that more people aren't turning out. Would make you sick actually
    Especially when you see the u17s attendances which shows the location clearly isn't that much of an obstacle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Dundalk FM sat afternoon radio show, they do a full hour on DFC each week along with live coverage of games, discussed the crowds this week.

There will always be a reduction with two home games in a week, but i think its often misunderstood thats its just about money. That is important, but so it time and family stuff people have on, getting free time to get to a match on a Monday, then again 4 nights later is hard, or worse if its Friday - Monday.

Some clubs simply wont go for it, but i think extending the season out to Nov is the way forward, there will be addtional wages, but isnt that a better option of paying it while you have gates v no main income for some clubs for 6 weeks. Plus the mid season break has to go, absolutely no need for it, we already have the longest off season in europe with over 3 months break between seasons.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Especially when you see the u17s attendances which shows the location clearly isn't that much of an obstacle
    i would like to see if we reverted to a winter season like loi did in the early noughties would the crowds be as great as we got back then or was it because of the SK effect?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    i would like to see if we reverted to a winter season like loi did in the early noughties would the crowds be as great as we got back then or was it because of the SK effect?
    It's freezing on a summer's day out there, if it went back to winter I'm not sure id go myself. Summer football is by far the better product

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Season needs to be extended . First thing I would change.2 weeks on either end with a break at the first round in Europe July leaving some clubs free to host English friendlies.
    Move the EA cup ties to Bank Holiday Mondays at five o clock. Clubs will probably do better or break even in the long run
    Player welfare should bring this in alone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Plus the mid season break has to go, absolutely no need for it, we already have the longest off season in europe with over 3 months break between seasons.

The mid-season break gets a lot of flak but it's fairly common in most of Europe's top divisions to have breaks for international fixtures throughout the season. The break is only 1 week really. No harm in taking a little pause in a long season for everybody (fans and media included) to rejuvenate and renew interest. It is also an interesting dynamic seeing how teams respond to it - a season of two halves if you will. I don't think the break in of itself is necessarily a bad thing.

Personally, I don't like the 10 team league. If you do well in the cups, you're going to play the same teams a ridiculous amount of times.

The season probably does need to be extended. I don't like the front-loaded fixture list. But playing devil's advocate; The league got more positive than usual coverage during this recent blitz of fixtures. It seems the average man on the street knew more about the league in this run in than they usually would. It was the league's time in the spotlight to some extent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Imagine if you had weeds growing on the terraces

The fixture pile up has sapped much of the early season enthusiasm from supporters.Casual fans just cant/wont 'do' two games a week and get disheartened, some not coming back.Sometimes despair the clowns in Abbotstown actually prefer the LOI to fail. they certainly appear to do everything in their power to ensure it does fail.
    10 team league is bad because too much familiarity, add in cups etc and any novelty wears off.Not sure if the quality is there, but would prefer a 13 team league with two rounds of games (obviously plus cup games). If necessary promote cup comps, at this stage the EA Cup is non existent.

But then basing a League around customers would be a welcome idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post

The fixture pile up has sapped much of the early season enthusiasm from supporters.Casual fans just cant/wont 'do' two games a week and get disheartened, some not coming back.Sometimes despair the clowns in Abbotstown actually prefer the LOI to fail. they certainly appear to do everything in their power to ensure it does fail.
    10 team league is bad because too much familiarity, add in cups etc and any novelty wears off.Not sure if the quality is there, but would prefer a 13 team league with two rounds of games (obviously plus cup games). If necessary promote cup comps, at this stage the EA Cup is non existent.

Have to agree with this,I sat at 4pm yesterday contemplating wether to go to the game last night and I just couldn't justify forking out what woulda been 17 euro to go watch a League cup game after doing it 3 days previously and 2 home games in the 7 days previous to that,if the die hards are giving games second thoughts then its badly wrong.....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    It's freezing on a summer's day out there, if it went back to winter I'm not sure id go myself. Summer football is by far the better product
    I always preferred the winter atmosphere as the noise from the vocal end always carried better and seemed louder!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post

have to agree with this. before the loi expanded to two divisions loi teams played each other twice in a season.. I would like to know if this worked what happens to the other loi teams?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Have to agree with this,I sat at 4pm yesterday contemplating wether to go to the game last night and I just couldn't justify forking out what woulda been 17 euro to go watch a League cup game after doing it 3 days previously and 2 home games in the 7 days previous to that,if the die hards are giving games second thoughts then its badly wrong.....
    Did Derry really charge 15 sterling last night & no reductions ? For a league cup game, id also be interested what Bohs and Bray charged. Dundalk reduced all tickets all areas to €5, I'm not sure what the crowd was mind.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    15/10/5 adults/concessions and kids and then 10 for Members and ST holders.

I'd say most paying 15 last night were Cork fans who were down

Page 32 of 57 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast