Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Not great for 1st Vs 3rd
    Wee bit disappointing alright -bout 900 below our season average but school nights/exam season and turnover of games all added in it was ok imo.
    The pox of having a awful away end also not helping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I think for most of the top clubs, and unless this is an end of sesson or vital match, if they can exceed 2k on Monday night, its not bad.

Dundalk's avg is just over 3k, this was also the second Bohs game at home on a Monday, to their credit they took about 600 last time, not so much last night but still a decent show. We also have a lot of fans working and / or living in Dub, Mon wont suit all. Long enough day travelling, then a match at the end of it.

Thankfully not too many more Monday's for league games now.

Edit, just heard this (2,312) was our lowest crowd of the season.
    Last edited by oriel; 21/05/2019 at 11:48 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Just pick that number at random did you?

You've also got to factor in that a lot of tourist football fans online asking about going to a LOI game are being pointed towards Bohs because of Dalymounts historical significance. Post redevelopment that's gone so you might lose some of them.
    They will get a new stadium boost though that will compensate at least for the first season in the new version. Plus away fans will probably be more interested in visiting for the first time at least.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

You've also got to factor in that a lot of tourist football fans online asking about going to a LOI game are being pointed towards Bohs because of Dalymounts historical significance. Post redevelopment that's gone so you might lose some of them.
    Well judging by the fact Rovers sold out a month in advance and Derry City sold out on the day I added varying amounts for each games. Roughly guessing based on interest in the forum and on twitter etc.

It's not scientific but I was asked a question and answered. Not a statement of fact

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    It's annoying alright. It was deemed an infeasible solution but I'm not 100% sure why. There's talk that the foundation is unsafe and there's talk of access. Maybe it's an issue of both however.

Even six or seven hundred seats would sort out the capacity issues in the short to medium term until the development takes places (which is 18 months away
    from starting as currently is projected)

I've been over there a few times. I know it's in bits, little leg room and no roof but at least there's a great view of the pitch.

It would be one of the worst away sections but it wouldn't be the absolute worst. It's not as if the des Kelly stand has much going for it either. There's a worse view there and equally poor facilities, albeit there is somewhat of a roof.

Again, would be a great short term solution
    Pity they cant just rip out the seating on that far side, I watched loads of games from there in the 80's, used to always stand just over the exit area in the corner, and you are right, there is a great view from that corner area. I'd much prefer that to watching behind the goal in Des K stand.

I'd imagine the access areas is the problem, poor lighting also under this area, but I wonder could it be made safe for a few years ?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    1,070 at Pats v Derry

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Said it a few times this year but I genuinely think the sold out signs are doing Bohs wonders. Everyone wants a ticket to something they can't get. If they had an extra 1000 seats would they fill them? Or more to the point would they fill enough of them to cover the cost of extra seating? For the derby of course they would, for Finn Harps etc I highly doubt it
    No sensible business would want to limit their customer numbers unnecessarily.

Especially in football, which relies heavily on habit and tradition.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

Surely the key factor for tourists going to watch a game in Dublin will be who's at home whilst they're here, rather than notions of historical significance ? In which case having quite a few sold out Bohs games means they've either gone to other matches instead (I had some Germans behind me at a Pats game in March) or are not watching a game at all.

A bigger Bohs' stadium would mean more room for those who want to catch a game whilst visiting Dublin. And a much better experience all round that any poor sods who take a run out to the Belfield Bowl due to a Dalymount sell out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Surely the key factor for tourists going to watch a game in Dublin will be who's at home whilst they're here, rather than notions of historical significance ? In which case having quite a few sold out Bohs games means they've either gone to other matches instead (I had some Germans behind me at a Pats game in March) or are not watching a game at all.

A bigger Bohs' stadium would mean more room for those who want to catch a game whilst visiting Dublin. And a much better experience all round that any poor sods who take a run out to the Belfield Bowl due to a Dalymount sell out.
    You'd think that but when you go online to places where foreigners would go to ask about the league and who to see in Dublin the number one selling point of Bohs is Dalyer

No sensible business would want to limit their customer numbers unnecessarily.

Especially in football, which relies heavily on habit and tradition.
    People always want what they can't have and in football since there's pretty much always another of almost the same thing around the corner that creates a knock on demand. Like say Bohs sell out a game vs Rovers, that gets people who might not normally be interested in Bohs thinking they're missing out so they'll buy tickets for the next big game(which is them all except maybe Harps this season) which means that then sells out and it snowballs.
    It's the same logic behind these new brands that whatever they release they release it in limited numbers, it generates publicly and creates demand for that product and the next one.
    It also gets rid of the "you can't even sell out one stand" and because its sold out the max attendance becomes an unknown and grows by the day.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 22/05/2019 at 2:33 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Any official attendance reported for UCD v CCFC last Monday?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Some terrible shootings in Dublin over the last few days and weeks now

I wonder if bus companies in Derry will cancel bookings for games in Dublin now, given what's happening down there ?

Wait - no. They won't. Because they're not run by over-reacting drama queen muppets

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    You'd think that but when you go online to places where foreigners would go to ask about the league and who to see in Dublin the number one selling point of Bohs is Dalyer
    Can you post up a few links to these places ? Thanks. I'd still love to know how history about a stadium which isn't open when you're in town is more important than actually being able to see a game somewhere.

People always want what they can't have and in football since there's pretty much always another of almost the same thing around the corner that creates a knock on demand. Like say Bohs sell out a game vs Rovers, that gets people who might not normally be interested in Bohs thinking they're missing out so they'll buy tickets for the next big game(which is them all except maybe Harps this season) which means that then sells out and it snowballs.
    It's the same logic behind these new brands that whatever they release they release it in limited numbers, it generates publicly and creates demand for that product and the next one.
    It also gets rid of the "you can't even sell out one stand" and because its sold out the max attendance becomes an unknown and grows by the day.
    Am I correct in summising from that that you don't actually run a business ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Can you post up a few links to these places ? Thanks. I'd still love to know how history about a stadium which isn't open when you're in town is more important than actually being able to see a game somewhere.

Am I correct in summising from that that you don't actually run a business ?
    I couldn't link it it's just odd posts/comments you see on various social media sites. And i never said it's more important that seeing a game? I specifically said when going to a Bohemian game in my original comment. To slow it down for you if there's a Pats, a Rovers and a Bohs game on people are directed to the Bohs one with a big selling point being the history of Dalymount, and it's old school vibe.

I don't run a business but it's a pretty respected economic theory, and the basis behind anything limited edition you see. there are very few things that companies have produced a limited number of unwillingly.
    This explains it quite well.
    "Consumers place a higher value on goods that are scarce than on goods that are abundant. Psychologists note that when a good or service is perceived to be scarce, people want it more. Consider how many times you’ve seen an advertisement stating something like: limited time offer, limited quantities, while supplies last, liquidation sale, only a few items left in stock, etc. The feigned scarcity causes a surge in the demand for the commodity. The thought that people want something they cannot have drives them to desire the object even more. In other words, if something is not scarce, then it is not desired or valued that much.
    Marketers use the scarcity principle as a sales tactic to drive up demand and sales. The psychology behind the scarcity principle lies on social proof and commitment. Social proof is consistent with the belief that people judge a product as high quality if it is scarce or if people appear to be buying it. On the principle of commitment, someone who has committed himself to acquiring something will want it more if he finds out he cannot have it."
    It's actually really applicable to LOI as one of the biggest criticisms aimed at the league by outsiders is the low crowds that are used to justify their perception of it's poor quality, so the scarcity of tickets increases the perceived quality of football and thus increase the demand for tickets.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 23/05/2019 at 1:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Harps v Shamrock Rovers - 925

Not to take the thread off topic..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harps v Shamrock Rovers - 925

Not to take the thread off topic..
    It looked les than the Waterford game to me. That's not bad for a Monday night in fairness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    600 odd at Bray tonight, Spice Girls taking their toll on attendance
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    600 odd at Bray tonight, Spice Girls taking their toll on attendance
    Rumour has it that the Spice Girls are Shamrock Rovers fans!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    3,112 in Tallaght, seems about right to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Dundalk v Pats, 2,377. Which was a grand total of 65 more than the Bohs game on Monday night !

I think our avg is still at 3k but these Monday/Friday games are not suiting anyone, two home friday games a month is the way forward, but next month will be a disaster for most clubs, some have no home games for 6 weeks, Derry are one, Dundalk have no home games at all in June.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I thought that the Rovers attendance would be topped by Dundalks last night, the league started like a whirlwind with plenty of games and lots of interest but in the last month it has died a death and its mainly due imo to scheduling. Rovers have no game now for two weeks and all that momentum, goodwill and indeed one might argue sympathy from the general public due to being run by the FAI just evaporates.

Page 31 of 57 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast