Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 35 of 57 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I thought it was a very poor turnout from Harps fans, good travelling support but a Saturday game always helps. I don’t think the clubs had a choice in scheduling this game as last night was out because of the Ireland game.
    Harps could well have scheduled the game for Sunday and would have doubled the attendance.

Donegal were playing on Saturday evening in the gah, Donegal League presentation night was on Saturday night, and two major concerts in Slane and Malahide took a crowd away as well.

Madness going ahead with Saturday and it was pointed out to the club well in advance but fell on deaf ears. We don't help ourselves at times.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I generally think playing games on weekends when Ireland are playing is a total waste of time. All the focus from supporters and media is on the NT. 600+ given as attendance in Longford last night but not a hope in hell there was more than 450 at it, think we count ST sales like most clubs. Was like a morgue at times last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Even the dreaded mid week slot might have been a better idea given Ireland was the main focus this weekend, to add with the GAA over the weekend.

For once Monday probably would have been better.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Or it might have been an idea to have the mid-season break coincide with the internationals

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Or it might have been an idea to have the mid-season break coincide with the internationals
    Now now, there’s no place for sensible solutions here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Sure why would supporters be a consideration in scheduling fixtures ?
    At times I honestly think the FAI want the League to fail.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    435 for Limerick Vs Galway United
    Fairly dire attendance considering we're in a promotion push. Averaging less than half of our last FD spell. The sooner POS is gone the better.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red bellied View Post
    2560 in tallaght and 782 from extra time.ie. whatever the pros of summer football the crowds have consistently dropped badly in those months since it started.
    Let's hope (or dream) that when the new FAI Board of Management structures are put in place they will focus on our National League as one of its priorities!

This should and must create an environment that will maximise the league which ultimately means fixtures, TV coverage, advertisement and promotion from all areas!

So until then we will have to carry on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Going slightly off topic here for a minute cos i cant think of where else or thread to go to?
    The media coverage for the LOI over the weekend was nothing short of abysmal!The indo had nothing written about Saturdays matches until Monday!The rest weren't far behind.
    Here's how the Indo reported the LOI this weekend - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...ue-of-ireland/
    Are we going back to the bad old days of poor LOI coverage from the Nationals?
    I know the IT have recently started making journos redundant but whats the excuse for the rest of 'em?

SMH.
    Hope this was a one off with a lot of soccer journos away in Denmark but local reporters have filled that gap on plenty of occasions before.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Going slightly off topic here for a minute cos i cant think of where else or thread to go to?
    The media coverage for the LOI over the weekend was nothing short of abysmal!
    Maybe it is just a mirror of the level of interest and enthusiasm? There was little to nothing posted here about matches over the weekend either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    I disagree. The marketing of the league needs to come from the top and it is abysmal. Its the biggest thing, along with match scheduling, that needs to change in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Maybe it is just a mirror of the level of interest and enthusiasm? There was little to nothing posted here about matches over the weekend either
    It's pure fecking lazy by the press and i'm surprised that is your opinion.
    Foot.ie is no reflection on what happens in the League although,, i'm sure the owner would love if it was.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Ireland game on, plus a bit of focus gone to Toulon tournament (it's a friendly summer cup, ridiculous we would disrupt the league for it but hey ho), GAA getting to more interesting phase and on top of that the fixtures are so repetitive when on and others are called off so all a bit disjointed, so interest wanes a bit naturally.

I saw comments online that even the Bohs Rovers game build up does not feel as exciting this time.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Ireland game on, plus a bit of focus gone to Toulon tournament (it's a friendly summer cup, ridiculous we would disrupt the league for it but hey ho), GAA getting to more interesting phase and on top of that the fixtures are so repetitive when on and others are called off so all a bit disjointed, so interest wanes a bit naturally.

I saw comments online that even the Bohs Rovers game build up does not feel as exciting this time.
    I see the opposite on my timeline on Twitter funnily enough.Obviously we follow different people but there you go.
    Surprised by that reaction but youser(fh) attendances are on the deck a long time and the upward fightback punch seems to be gone from yous.The rest of us will hammer on.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    It's pure fecking lazy by the press and i'm surprised that is your opinion.
    Foot.ie is no reflection on what happens in the League although,, i'm sure the owner would love if it was.
    The argument has regularly been put forward that the media coverage is disproportionately high compared to the number of people attending games. While I agree with you that coverage this weekend was especially poor compared with earlier matches, it is easy to simply tag the press as being lazy. Its a narrative that perhaps masks a more searching look - the prime responsibility for marketing and promoting the league rests within the league itself.

While the level of activity on foot.ie is a separate issue, it can hardly go unnoticed that there was actually no thread on league matches over the international weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    The argument has regularly been put forward that the media coverage is disproportionately high compared to the number of people attending games. While I agree with you that coverage this weekend was especially poor compared with earlier matches, it is easy to simply tag the press as being lazy. Its a narrative that perhaps masks a more searching look - the prime responsibility for marketing and promoting the league rests within the league itself.

While the level of activity on foot.ie is a separate issue, it can hardly go unnoticed that there was actually no thread on league matches over the international weekend
    Wr're both posting on Foot.ie,i love it

On my twitter,the media are at the games -compiling reports and hitting dead lines.Yet Not one article!
    On the42 you can see the numbers -LOI is = to anything premier league in terms of reading numbers.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Rovers 3676
    Derry 3200
    Bohs 2992
    Dundalk 2891
    Cork 2825
    Sligo 2113
    Pats 2010
    W'rford 1981
    Harps 1242
    Galway 931

Shels 921
    Bray 809
    UCD 784
    Drogs 626
    Longford 614
    Limerick 510
    Athlone 488
    Cabo 457
    Cobh 277
    Wexford 254

Teams based on average attendance. Divisions disregarded.

Some good, some not so good.

5 teams averaging about 3k. Bohs, Rovers, Dundalk all have plans to develop their stadium further. Derry and Cork play in fine grounds. Is there plans to develop these further?

Pats won't get any bigger in Inchicore. It's run down. It's a dump. Hopefully they get the go ahead to build a new stadium at Michaels.
    It's hard to know Lee Power's motivation any more. Waterford could really establish themselves if he kept going for a few years. RSC needs more seats though and the running track does the ground no favours.

Sligo have averaged 3k a season in the past too.

You'd like to think if the FAI had any ambition it would be a huge target for them to have 8 clubs averaging 3,000 a week.

Now from the bottom up. Wexford's stadium is miles from anywhere. Gonna be very hard to expand there. Cobh is a small town. Not sure about Cabo but if they established themselves in Dun Laoighre Rathdown then they could be a reasonably, if not very, big club. Not sure about Athlone. Limerick need to get rid of O'Sullivan. He's a cancer at the club. People are staying away while he's there. Barret doing a good job with the kids. Again, a club with reasonable potential too.

Longford doing well this year but their stadium is way out of the town. You really miss out on the "ah we'll go for a pint and walk to the stadium" factor. Similar to Wexford. A shame for Longford as their stadium is quite nice.

Drogheda desperately need a new stadium. It's a dump. There's enough population around Drogheda/Bettystown/Termonfeckin to sustain a good team. Possibly more people in Drogheda and its environs than Dundalk too.

Galway have potential but never really seem to be able to realise it. Shels gonna move in to Dalyer. Gonna be a brand new shiny stadium but moving in to Bohs' catchment area. Not far away geographically but if you're gonna start supporting a team who plays in Dalymount it's gonna be the team who are doing better and have traditionally played there. Don't think it's gonna be a great move for them.

Bray doing better under the new owner. Stadium is poor. No plans for development afaik. Small permanent main stand to protect you from the elements a bit better and better toilets needed for families to continue to go.

Harps doing well attendance wise. Probably bolstered by more away fans this year compared to last year. The two north west derbies will bring a lot more than a game vs Cobh like in the first division. A big football county though. With a new stadium in Stranorlar I think they can push on a big. Maybe not a "sleeping giant" but this new stadium will be huge for them, same for Drogheda and Bohs. Will allow them to step up another level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Every year the same debate is had when people realise the crowds have dropped off from the start of the season.

It reminds me of Homer Simpson thinking his pumpkin stocks will peak around February.

It's the summer lads. There's other things to do in at least two thirds of the places that have a LoI team.

Lol at people blaming the meeja coverage aswell.

The public gets what the public wants lads. If pin the tail on Mary O'Rourke was a popular sport then The Star would have an 8 page pullout every day.

We are all wierd people with a niche passtime. Embrace it.

56000 combined at the two Hurley batting games in Munster last weekend.

That's more people than will attend all of Dundalks home games this year.

Also, I'm going to games about 250 years now. In my experience the vast majority of official attendances are a product of the imagination of the lad who has to give out the official attendance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I agree with a lot of that from david bohie
    The league is well set over the next couple of years with stadium development plans for Bohs/Shels/Drogs/Harps/Rovers to grow and the "new" "continuity" FAI can hardly do a worse job than the "old" FAI
    The new Champions route in the CL and the proposed expansion of the EL means our clubs might feature more regularly in terms of getting a few rounds in Europe which will stimulate interest.

Cant see Cabo developing at all tbh it is 100% a Schoolboy club that entered the league to allow it play in the underage National leagues, i'd say Kevins and Cherry orchard are kicking themselves they did'nt do the same thing. Good for Cabo in a way but useless for the league

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    Dundalk all have plans to develop their stadium further.
    Is this a recent announcement?

Shels should try move back to Irishtown/Ringsend. With all the apartments being built there and the companies based there there's serious potential for a very good fan base for them there and they'd cash in on the history bit of it all too.

Page 35 of 57 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast