Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1121

Thread: Attendances 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    If you're going to play games at substandard grounds on the basis that they're not in Dublin then what incentive is there for them to improve?

Last sentence doesn't makes sense, you really trying to say we shouldn't hold these events in the most suitable stadium simply because it happens to be in a city you have a grudge against? Cop on.

All the women's and u21 competitive games should be at the best available ground and just now that's Tallaght by a country mile. The lower down teams should be spread around like they currently are and the friendlies should too but until a ground can at least match Tallaght the players deserve to have their games played there.
    What grudge? It is a matter of opinion surely but once again you show some sort of paranoia RH. I see EYG's posts as a participation in debate and not having a cut at Dublin or Tallaght for as lucky as the general region is to have multiple stadia provided by the taxpayer. As mentioned there is nothing wrong with ED Park, Sligo or Turners Cross especially for the less attractive ties. Maybe teams should play in stadia that are as similar as possible to those that will be visited away from home.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Anyhow, I think there would be great merit in moving games around the country - but only if the stadia are fit to hold them.
    Draw up a list of stadia (and appropriate crowds) if other towns want "in" then spruce up their stadium.

PS (for the record) I love Dublin !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    What grudge? It is a matter of opinion surely but once again you show some sort of paranoia RH. I see EYG's posts as a participation in debate and not having a cut at Dublin or Tallaght for as lucky as the general region is to have multiple stadia provided by the taxpayer. As mentioned there is nothing wrong with ED Park, Sligo or Turners Cross especially for the less attractive ties. Maybe teams should play in stadia that are as similar as possible to those that will be visited away from home.
    "if everything is concentrated in Dublin because it's where things are the best etc."

How can you read that as anything other than just letting a disliking of Dublin get in the way of an objective opinion?

The best stadium consistently available to football in this country is the Aviva but that's two expensive to open for the crowds that the U21s and Women's teams. The next best stadium is Tallaght, its the only catagory four ground that regularly hosts football in the country so that's not an opinion it's a fact.
    The women can already feel a bit aggrieved that they never play in the national stadium without saying that they can't play in Tallaght either because, well what's the actual reason again? That the mens team play in Dublin? Really? It's not as if you're moving them to a similar standard ground elsewhere like the countries like England and Spain where they're moving from one top class facility to another.
    In Ireland the best option for growing crowds at u21 and women's games is having a consistent ground, football isn't king here like in England and Spain we need to make it easy for people to go to games, part of that is having a quality consistent home ground. There's also a reason Dublin is where these things are located, it's easier for people all over to get to than other places.
    From a performance perspective the teams are also based in Abbotstown for training so the best thing for them and their performance is to be near there and playing on the same pitch in the same surroundings is half the benefit of home advantage especially when you don't have tonnes of top class stadiums to choose from.
    Your last sentence is pure nonsense.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    If you're going to play games at substandard grounds on the basis that they're not in Dublin then what incentive is there for them to improve?

Last sentence doesn't makes sense, you really trying to say we shouldn't hold these events in the most suitable stadium simply because it happens to be in a city you have a grudge against? Cop on.

All the women's and u21 competitive games should be at the best available ground and just now that's Tallaght by a country mile. The lower down teams should be spread around like they currently are and the friendlies should too but until a ground can at least match Tallaght the players deserve to have their games played there.
    You've undermined your point by assuming I'm suggesting games should be played in stadia regardless of what state they're in. When my post clearly talks multiple times about stadia being improved.

And just to prove that this isn't an anti-Dublin thing (paranoid much ?) : by your argument, U21s, womens etc shouldn't even go to the north-side of the Liffey once Dalymount is rebuilt.

Of course - if you'd like to present a rational argument to dispute the fact that the Republic of Ireland is heavily centred around Dublin, then by all means be my guess (*reaches for the popcorn*)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    "if everything is concentrated in Dublin because it's where things are the best etc."

How can you read that as anything other than just letting a disliking of Dublin get in the way of an objective opinion?

The best stadium consistently available to football in this country is the Aviva but that's two expensive to open for the crowds that the U21s and Women's teams. The next best stadium is Tallaght, its the only catagory four ground that regularly hosts football in the country so that's not an opinion it's a fact.
    The women can already feel a bit aggrieved that they never play in the national stadium without saying that they can't play in Tallaght either because, well what's the actual reason again? That the mens team play in Dublin? Really? It's not as if you're moving them to a similar standard ground elsewhere like the countries like England and Spain where they're moving from one top class facility to another.
    In Ireland the best option for growing crowds at u21 and women's games is having a consistent ground, football isn't king here like in England and Spain we need to make it easy for people to go to games, part of that is having a quality consistent home ground. There's also a reason Dublin is where these things are located, it's easier for people all over to get to than other places.
    From a performance perspective the teams are also based in Abbotstown for training so the best thing for them and their performance is to be near there and playing on the same pitch in the same surroundings is half the benefit of home advantage especially when you don't have tonnes of top class stadiums to choose from.
    Your last sentence is pure nonsense.
    My last sentence was intentional whimsical nonsense to reflect your original post above. You do make some valid points subsequently but there are valid counter arguments of course. Consistancy with the venue may grow a crowd but for the number of internationals at U21, for example, i'm not so sure that people will grow in to a routine of sorts. The novel nature of other parts of the country hosting games could result in sell out crowds even for less attractive games. It's not as if the senior side havent played in Limerick and Cork in recent memory. A sold out Turners Cross would feel as much and probably more like a home fixture than a half full SDCC Stadium. If you note I only suggested the possibility of the lesser type fixture being considered for playing outside of Dublin.

I dont agree with EYG on clubs lacking ambition on stadia because they cant host underage or womens internationls, that should be an irrelevance, but I dont know where you got an anti Dublin sense from a comment that is questioning how areas outside of Dublin can raise the bar if everything is concentrated in Dublin and is the best - isnt that an affirmation of Dublin and the facilities available in the Capital, its more complimentary than anything whether intended or not. Objectivity isnt your strong suit RH!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I dont agree with EYG on clubs lacking ambition on stadia because they cant host underage or womens internationls, that should be an irrelevance, but I dont know where you got an anti Dublin sense from a comment that is questioning how areas outside of Dublin can raise the bar if everything is concentrated in Dublin and is the best - isnt that an affirmation of Dublin and the facilities available in the Capital, its more complimentary than anything whether intended or not. Objectivity isnt your strong suit RH!
    Whilst I agree with most of what you wrote above - for the record, I wasn't saying that an inability to host international fixtures was reducing the ambition clubs have for their stadia. Rather that greater availability of such fixtures to regional towns would provide another reason for clubs and local authorities to be more ambitious with their stadia. It's about increasing levels of ambition, not reducing it (i.e. cart before horse).

8. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Whilst I agree with most of what you wrote above - for the record, I wasn't saying that an inability to host international fixtures was reducing the ambition clubs have for their stadia. Rather that greater availability of such fixtures to regional towns would provide another reason for clubs and local authorities to be more ambitious with their stadia. It's about increasing levels of ambition, not reducing it (i.e. cart before horse).
    To be fair, we've had games spread around the country for a long time and it hasn't provided local authorities with a reason to be more ambitious. Even the 21s' and women's increased attendances have nothing to do with SDCC approving upgrades on Tallaght. The lesson we should all take is that the only thing that will drive local authorities to be more ambitious is political will (and, to be fair, in Tallaght it was at least partly driven by counsellors who are fans of rival clubs).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Got an official e mail from Bohs this morning saying that this is the last day to renew memberships/buy season tickets , to be eligible to attend Rovers game on 15 Feb. With 750 members 1250 Season Tickets and 250 Junior Gypsy tickets sold, we will have little, if any, tickets for open sale for home fans this season. Typical that at a time of the greatest interest I have known in the club in the decades I have been a fan, is at a time of the smallest crowd capacity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Got an official e mail from Bohs this morning saying that this is the last day to renew memberships/buy season tickets , to be eligible to attend Rovers game on 15 Feb. With 750 members 1250 Season Tickets and 250 Junior Gypsy tickets sold, we will have little, if any, tickets for open sale for home fans this season. Typical that at a time of the greatest interest I have known in the club in the decades I have been a fan, is at a time of the smallest crowd capacity.
    Do members get season tickets with their membership?
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post

Yes. More people signing up for season tickets today too.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Fantastic for Bohs and great to see but as has been said crying shame that there will be people who want to go to a LOI game there this season but can't.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    No, two separate groups . Approx 1600 Season Ticket holders get admission to ground. Approx 700 Members get admission to ground and a say in running the club. 2300 out of 2,700 capacity already filled . Sponsors FAI refs , guests, journo`s will fill most of the 400 left .

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    No, two separate groups . Approx 1600 Season Ticket holders get admission to ground. Approx 700 Members get admission to ground and a say in running the club. 2300 out of 2,700 capacity already filled . Sponsors FAI refs , guests, journo`s will fill most of the 400 left .
    That's extremely impressive, you'll have to set up a system where ST holders can sell their tickets back to the club for a game they're going to miss so it can be sold on again.
    Here on a technicality.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    That's extremely impressive, you'll have to set up a system where ST holders can sell their tickets back to the club for a game they're going to miss so it can be sold on again.
    Good idea, difficult enough to administer though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Does that include reserved seating? Really impressive from Bohs.

I saw a post on Twitter recently that they were looking into the possibility of tumbling Connaught road side and putting a temporary stand up to increase capacity. Surely the council will have to play ball now the demand is there and it'll be another few years before the work on the new ground even starts.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Does that include reserved seating? Really impressive from Bohs.

I saw a post on Twitter recently that they were looking into the possibility of tumbling Connaught road side and putting a temporary stand up to increase capacity. Surely the council will have to play ball now the demand is there and it'll be another few years before the work on the new ground even starts.
    The council's responsibility is to everyone in their local authority though - not just to a small number of additional potential Bohs fans.

The clubs should suggest some sort of profit-share to incentivise the council on this. That might make the decision to spend a few quid on a crumbling edifice that's due to be knocked down shortly a more viable option for them.

To be honest with you - even if they gave the council 100% of the ticket proceeds beyond their current capacity, Bohs would still be better off from having a temporary set up at the Connacht end. More matchday sales of food, merchandise, drink, programmes etc. Bigger support for the team and better atmosphere. More exposure for sponsors. And more people getting the bug and potentially becoming long-term fans of the club.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 31/01/2020 at 4:49 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    3,961 at Turner's Cross.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    3,961 at Turner's Cross.
    That figure should really ready 4246 with all the free bees!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    That figure should really ready 4246 with all the free bees!
    Not sure we should count insects TBH. Hope nobody got stang off the wee feckers.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

24. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    3580 at Bohs-Rovers

Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast