Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1121

Thread: Attendances 2019

  1. #1081
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,993
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    152
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,056
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    But that is literally the whole idea behind season tickets. Get people committed up front and their money in the bank early. Rather than risk them making fewer fixtures if results are bad, they get busy at work, have weddings etc to go to etc etc. Season Tickets also enable better financial planning than just waiting to see how many pay in for each fixture.
    Yep, that's a reasonable summary of the rationale behind why clubs offer a discounted season ticket. There are other benefits including potentially a greater matchday spend and a spin-off for cup and european ticket sales

    But my comments related to the risky nature of the initiative of the sizable reduction in adult unreserved season tickets from €210 to €180. It was already reasonably priced and a reduction in price was hardly needed to get existing ST holders to renew. It could easily result in a significant reduction in the overall revenue well beyond the normal discounts provided in exchange for the benefits to the club you outline.

    I don't know the exact numbers involved, but if there are an existing 1000 who renew at the reduced price that's a chopping off €30,000 straight away from people who are likely to renew anyway at €210. Then there is the massive €120 gap between reserved and unreserved seats - if it only influences 100 supporters to switch to the lower cost ST that means starting off down €42,000.

    That's all before you examine where the new buyers are likely to come from. It's probably impossible to measure how many matches the new season ticket buyer would otherwise attend. Even if that average number was as low as 10 league matches and the club succeeded in selling 200 season tickets as a direct result of the discount, the gain is as low as €6,000.

    Discounted season tickets make sense for any club once the discount is not too large or disproportionate . Large discounts though will always be popular with existing fans

    Spending the money on attracting new customers to try to fill the spare capacity might be a more worthwhile investment

  2. #1082
    Banned marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,629
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    360
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    645
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    But that is literally the whole idea behind season tickets. Get people committed up front and their money in the bank early. Rather than risk them making fewer fixtures if results are bad, they get busy at work, have weddings etc to go to etc etc. Season Tickets also enable better financial planning than just waiting to see how many pay in for each fixture.
    The point is by having a hefty decrease in price you need a significant update in numbers sold to break even. It’s a fair point.

    Great initiative by shams and with plenty of spare capacity I can see it bearing fruit. Match atmosphere is almost as much a draw on potential support as team success, bigger crowds usually lead to even bigger crowds 😁

  3. #1083
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    975
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    793
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Ye would like to think that the decision was based on some potential market research rather than a hopeful punt. Some LoI clubs are getting to grips with becoming more appealing to their community beyond what silverware generates. Hopefully the great value offered by Rovers' season tickets do the job!

  4. #1084
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,993
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    152
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,056
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers director Mark Lynch on Rovers season ticket pricing initiative
    Those regular season ticket prices for Tallaght Stadium represent a €30 drop in price from last season and are part of an initiative the club has committed to in order to try to increase attendances and attract new fans who will stay for the long-term.

    “The drop is part of the strategic plan to increase attendances,” says board director Mark Lynch. “Two years ago we introduced kids go free so on buying an adult season ticket you got up to three kids to go free. The idea was to get children into going to live games as early as possible and that was very successful. Not only did we sell more tickets than before, obviously you’re giving away up to three kids tickets with an adult, but we also increased the value in revenue from them. It wasn’t just that we sold more physical tickets, we sold more money’s worth of tickets.

    “That initiative was to incentivise and encourage young families to come to Tallaght Stadium. We’ve obviously got a fantastic stadium which is very family friendly. We’ve got all the facilities of a modern stadium as well as parking, the Luas on our doorstep, bus routes as well so no blocks for a family to enjoy a night out. So for an adult and three kids at that price of €210 you’re in effect paying roughly €15 for four people to go to a live game, per match. That showed us that there is a marketplace if the price is right.”

    Last season Rovers had around 2,000 season tickets in circulation and although a portion of those are given out for free to players, academy players and partner clubs, the figures are still significant. With the introduction of the south stand, Tallaght Stadium now has a capacity of 8,000 and Rovers came close to filling it last season for the Dublin derby when 7,021 turned out to watch Stephen Bradley’s side end their losing run against rivals Bohemians.



    Lynch says that dropping prices still presents quite a risk for the Tallaght club. Indeed Rovers made losses of just under €100,000 in the year to the end of last November, as reported in The Irish Times last month.


    “We kind of broke even last year, the season 2019, but the previous year The Irish Times reported on losses so it’s not like we’re sitting on a gold mine in the bank and sell things cheaper than we would otherwise,” Lynch says.

    “We’re just trying to build on it and building on it is building more people, not putting the price up. More people at a lower price is better than the same people at a higher price if you get it right. If you drop it, as we have by €30, and you get enough extra people, which is doable considering the season we had, we’ll have beaten where we’ve started. We’ve gone with a strategy that is a risk because we’ve dropped the price. So if we get the same people buying season tickets this year as last year then we’ve lost a lot of money but we’re taking the risk that we’re going to get more people and that many more that it will still make more money than if we kept the price the same or increased it a little bit.”

    And while it might indeed be a risk for Rovers, those sorts of risks are second nature to League of Ireland clubs as the battle against the balance sheets continues.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...medium=twitter

  5. #1085
    Banned marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,629
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    360
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    645
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Shamrock Rovers director Mark Lynch on Rovers season ticket pricing initiative


    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...medium=twitter
    Fair dues to shams, if the league is ever to really take off it will be on the back of increased attendances and any initiative to bring crowds into grounds is to be welcomed.New fans will attend 'away' matches as well as home (so other clubs benefit) and the additional atmosphere of a decent sized crowd is often an attraction in itself. Undoubtedly there is a financial risk (they will need a big increase in take up just to maintain last years income levels) but having won the cup and with the spare capacity it probably as good a time for them to try it as any.

  6. #1086
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    95
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    309 Posts
    !00% right that bigger crowds and the atmosphere are an attraction in themselves.
    The matches with Bohs this year have had such great atmospheres that they have become "events".
    The sold out signs in Dalyer create the same feel around other matches (surely you can get some access to one of the other sides for 2020)

  7. #1087
    Banned marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,629
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    360
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    645
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    !00% right that bigger crowds and the atmosphere are an attraction in themselves.
    The matches with Bohs this year have had such great atmospheres that they have become "events".
    The sold out signs in Dalyer create the same feel around other matches (surely you can get some access to one of the other sides for 2020)
    Don't mention the war ! Very unlikely to get any real increase in capacity this side of our return to the promised land (post Tolka). Cost of getting Connaught street side up to H&S acceptable levels (especially including access) is way beyond what DCC or Bohs would even contemplate, we are talking serious structural stuff. Unfortunate given our healthy numbers last season (and expected increases in number of members and season tickets next season) that we wont be able to push on a bit. Hopefully the opportunity will be there on our return to Dalymount.

  8. #1088
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    176
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    91
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    39
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Don't mention the war ! Very unlikely to get any real increase in capacity this side of our return to the promised land (post Tolka). Cost of getting Connaught street side up to H&S acceptable levels (especially including access) is way beyond what DCC or Bohs would even contemplate, we are talking serious structural stuff. Unfortunate given our healthy numbers last season (and expected increases in number of members and season tickets next season) that we wont be able to push on a bit. Hopefully the opportunity will be there on our return to Dalymount.
    Hopefully DCC see the crowds and revise the plans back to 8000.

    I know if we have a 6,000 seater stadium we'd be twice as well off as we are now, but we could host u21 games, women's games etc if we had 8k. The advantages of Dalyer is its proximity to the city. People might pop in after work and it opens up a new audience.

    We won't take all the games off Tallaght but in an ideal world they'd be split to some degree. With 6k, they'll probably all be in Tallaght

  9. #1089
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    362
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    324
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    Hopefully DCC see the crowds and revise the plans back to 8000.

    I know if we have a 6,000 seater stadium we'd be twice as well off as we are now, but we could host u21 games, women's games etc if we had 8k. The advantages of Dalyer is its proximity to the city. People might pop in after work and it opens up a new audience.

    We won't take all the games off Tallaght but in an ideal world they'd be split to some degree. With 6k, they'll probably all be in Tallaght
    I agree with you on the 8,000 capacity making more sense. Particularly as the stadium designs that have bene floated preciously don't allow for further expansion in future (which is surely a major flaw in their design ?).

    Where I'd disagree with you would be on splitting games U21s etc between Tallaght and Dalymount. They should really be being split where possible between Dublin and locations elsewhere, rather than just within Dublin. The south needs to stop being so ridiculously centralised on Dublin in every aspect of life.

  10. #1090
    Banned marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    3,629
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    360
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    645
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I agree with you on the 8,000 capacity making more sense. Particularly as the stadium designs that have bene floated preciously don't allow for further expansion in future (which is surely a major flaw in their design ?).

    Where I'd disagree with you would be on splitting games U21s etc between Tallaght and Dalymount. They should really be being split where possible between Dublin and locations elsewhere, rather than just within Dublin. The south needs to stop being so ridiculously centralised on Dublin in every aspect of life.
    Apart from Cork, which "locations elsewhere" do you have in mind ? Dalymount a long way off but anywhere else will be decades.

  11. #1091
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    95
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    309 Posts
    Turners cross would be fine for under 21s

  12. #1092
    Reserves vinnie's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    370
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    707
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    I think the U21's should be rotated around the grounds to give everyone a chance to see them, not many fixtures would require a 6K+ stadium, didn't Sligo used to host a few a couple of years ago?

  13. #1093
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,713
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    27
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    290
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    As should Galway host them/ women's and under 19's

  14. #1094
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,006
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,454
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,212
    Thanked in
    1,870 Posts
    I don't think under-21 games should be moved around. Nonsense to be doing that. Young squad trying to blood them into senior football should be given a solid base to work from that is familiar to them. Tallaght has the best facilities in the league and rightly the home stadium for the under-21 and womens teams.

  15. #1095
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    362
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    324
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I don't think under-21 games should be moved around. Nonsense to be doing that. Young squad trying to blood them into senior football should be given a solid base to work from that is familiar to them. Tallaght has the best facilities in the league and rightly the home stadium for the under-21 and womens teams.
    If a footballer can't play their A game unless it's in 'familiar' surroundings, then they won't be going very far in the game. The Spanish national teams seem to do pretty well without even having a home ground, and rotating their matches at all levels continuously.

    If all U21s are to happen only in Tallaght - no debate - then what incentive does that provide for towns and clubs elsewhere to be ambitious about their stadia ? Things will never improve outside of Dublin if everything is concentrated in Dublin because it's where things are the best etc.

  16. #1096
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    975
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    793
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    If a footballer can't play their A game unless it's in 'familiar' surroundings, then they won't be going very far in the game. The Spanish national teams seem to do pretty well without even having a home ground, and rotating their matches at all levels continuously.

    If all U21s are to happen only in Tallaght - no debate - then what incentive does that provide for towns and clubs elsewhere to be ambitious about their stadia ? Things will never improve outside of Dublin if everything is concentrated in Dublin because it's where things are the best etc.
    There are undoubtedly arguments for and against but I think a team should be used to playing and performing regardless of the surroundings. Ye only have to consider the recent game in Iceland for the U21s to see the sort of places ye could end up. With that in mind Oriel Park is obvously the best spot for teams to get used to!

    ED Park is fine for underage and womens games and should be given the opportunity to host games, Sligo and Turners Cross too. The top level games like v Italy then of course Tallaght is the top choice. I'd even think that the Aviva should be used occasionally as rather than coping with poor facilities a young player would be more likely to be overawed by larger stadia and thats the stage they're being prepped for.

  17. #1097
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,314
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,458
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    557
    Thanked in
    471 Posts
    City Calling Stadium or Flancare Park used to host under 21 internationals,under 19 games and hosted the UEFA championship qualifiers this year. We got high praise from UEFA. We have everything except for cover on the other sides of the ground!
    Daire Doyles red and black army

  18. #1098
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,726
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,084
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    If a footballer can't play their A game unless it's in 'familiar' surroundings, then they won't be going very far in the game. The Spanish national teams seem to do pretty well without even having a home ground, and rotating their matches at all levels continuously.

    If all U21s are to happen only in Tallaght - no debate - then what incentive does that provide for towns and clubs elsewhere to be ambitious about their stadia ? Things will never improve outside of Dublin if everything is concentrated in Dublin because it's where things are the best etc.
    If towns and clubs around the country can't play their A game unless they get U21 games then they won't be going very far in the game.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #1099
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    362
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    324
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    If towns and clubs around the country can't play their A game unless they get U21 games then they won't be going very far in the game.
    Weak.

  21. #1100
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,419
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    200
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    If a footballer can't play their A game unless it's in 'familiar' surroundings, then they won't be going very far in the game. The Spanish national teams seem to do pretty well without even having a home ground, and rotating their matches at all levels continuously.

    If all U21s are to happen only in Tallaght - no debate - then what incentive does that provide for towns and clubs elsewhere to be ambitious about their stadia ? Things will never improve outside of Dublin if everything is concentrated in Dublin because it's where things are the best etc.
    If you're going to play games at substandard grounds on the basis that they're not in Dublin then what incentive is there for them to improve?

    Last sentence doesn't makes sense, you really trying to say we shouldn't hold these events in the most suitable stadium simply because it happens to be in a city you have a grudge against? Cop on.

    All the women's and u21 competitive games should be at the best available ground and just now that's Tallaght by a country mile. The lower down teams should be spread around like they currently are and the friendlies should too but until a ground can at least match Tallaght the players deserve to have their games played there.

Similar Threads

  1. Attendances
    By Cabs88 in forum Longford Town
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 23/10/2010, 12:50 PM
  2. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Sligo Rovers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 26/11/2007, 11:17 AM
  3. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Longford Town
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20/11/2007, 9:24 AM
  4. Attendances in the '60s and '70s
    By sonofstan in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 15/10/2006, 7:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •