Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Always found AGS in Tallaght to be fine and very well organised. The ground was set up (policed, stewarded etc) for so many people and late changes can be logistically difficult.

No reason why shams would intentionally turn away cash so no "conspiracy theories". It really is simple - if it means that much, get a ticket in time. If it doesn't mean that much then STFU.
    Some people will never stfu
    But we can only dream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    So you think the main points that have been made are allegations of " conspiracy theories" and about early buying of away end tickets? If so you are fairly wide of the mark.

Maybe you see yourself as an apologist for Rovers & SDCC stadium management?
    Weren't you the poster who labeled those expressing safety concerns about over crowding as snowflakes?
    Claiming that Shams or any LOI club would deliberately turn away money to minimize the “away” crowd is laughable. Yes, if you cared that much about attending a game you would buy a ticket in advance.
    Whinging about overcrowding one match and keeping space empty in the next game is the sort of nonsense even you should see is silly.

Me as an “apologist for Rovers” 😂🤣😂 truely classic, even among your nonsensical posts.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Any chance we can all just move on from this endless squabbling lads ? Discussions are good, but this is just petty tit-for-tat ballax between supporters of a small number of clubs.

It's infecting so many threads on here that it's wrecking the place IMO.

Peace out.
    * Bump *

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Very healthy crowd for Cork last night.
    Eh no it wasn't, I would be on the complete opposite end of the scale and say it was awful.
    They've had home games with similar/higher attendances this year, while last year they would've averaged more than 3,100 and their two European games were sold out.
    Plenty of empty seats around the ground and Progrès probably handed back hundreds which would've made even more seats available to City fans.
    3,100 at a game that will be their last European game for at least two years if they're lucky. Not good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Eh no it wasn't, I would be on the complete opposite end of the scale and say it was awful.
    They've had home games with similar/higher attendances this year, while last year they would've averaged more than 3,100 and their two European games were sold out.
    Plenty of empty seats around the ground and Progrès probably handed back hundreds which would've made even more seats available to City fans.
    3,100 at a game that will be their last European game for at least two years if they're lucky. Not good.
    Progrés were never given tickets in the first place, their fans just bought them when they turned up. We probably set aside a small number (50-100 max) in case they had a larger than expected travelling support.

3,100 is much better than our recent attendances. Everyone I spoke to at the game was pretty surprised it was that high, many wondered would we break 2k.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I was a bit surprised when people were saying that 3100 was a good attendance for a European game. Regardless of the opposition they are nights to savour. Any Dundalk fan should know that what was practically an annual event ended up being very occasional up until 2012 and it could happen again. My short foray on to the Cork forum (before I was banned for supposedly being critical) was a lot on how the Cork support was so loyal. Yes there was criticism of the style of football but the cracks really appeared after the St Pat's draw last summer. Even with that in mind I'd have expected the interest in CCFC in Europe to be 4k+. There are issues with the team but no bad blood with the club so imo the attendance should have been better. While its not the same situation the 3200 in Oriel against not that fashionable an opposition but if Oriel was a better ground another 1500 minimum would have been at the game. I'd have had a lower expectation of it had been a draw against a really fancied team where the result could have been complete humiliation. I dont mean this as a p1ssing match on whichever clubs get the better levels of support, i'm just surprised that the expectations have dropped so much when domestic sellout crowds were regular a year ago and a half full ground is considered good now!? If ever there was a needing time and opportunity to give the club a boost and real show of pride in the club it was Thursday!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    All fair and good but attendance drop off when the team is struggling. If Dundalk were fourth bottom of the league there is no way the game last week would have sold out.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I'm not so sure about that, we sold out in a very average season v Grevenmacher, and after Sean Connor's mad mob qualified due to clubs' issues like not being 3 years old *cough*. It did have the novelty factor back though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    All fair and good but attendance drop off when the team is struggling. If Dundalk were fourth bottom of the league there is no way the game last week would have sold out.
    The short term memory of LOI never ceases to amaze. only last season John Caulfield was slagging off Dublin clubs about Corks crowds and Dundalk fans apparently cant remember the times, not so long ago, that one man and his dog wandering in to Oriel near doubled the crowd !

All clubs have a hard core and then a flexible element depending on how well they are doing, without doubt Cork have the biggest 'flexible' support which results in increases/decreases way in excess of other LOI clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Fair point on short memories of LOI fans on crowds. The lowest average for Dundalk in recent times, and certainly since promotion at the end of 2008 season was during that dreadful season McCaffrey started off in charge.

This was 2012 season, before Kenny arrived, as per the figures on this page it dropped to around 900. Dundalk should have been auto relegated that season they were that bad, only survived into the play off as Monaghan pulled out.

The play off home leg v Waterford attracted 1,500 but I remember the few games before, Bohs was one and Bray was another I think, one was 400, the other was possibly as low as 260 !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Cork have an identity that if they are doing well tends to bring in "Cork" people to support the towns team, similer to Dundalk and Sligo, when they are going well the towns people can identify with them and show up. Cork being a city just has a bigger available number of bandwagoners available.
    The contrast is the case in Dublin, Rovers Core support isnt much increased by success as people Dublin residents dont identify with the team and its success, even in Tallaght id say the same is true for most of the dublin teams.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    It's the same everywhere. When Limerick were waltzing through the FD a few years ago they were getting huge crowds for that division, now struggling to break 500. This continues to baffle some people (How many "sporting city" comments have a I read when discussing attendances?) but is just a symptom of Ireland's general bandwagon culture.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    i agree 100% with you i think Dublin is different though because most Dublin people could'nt give a toss about Rovers , Bohs , Shels. Pats so success or otherwise doesnt drive the crowds as much in Dublin, we are averageing the same crowds now within a couple of 100's as when we were winnng the leagues and playing in group stages in 2010/2011.
    Its a pity but watch the attendance in Tallaght on Thursday, i reckon no more than 4000 max although i might be surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I would also be surprised if Rovers got over 4k on Thursday, the away support won’t be too high, would 200 travel? I think a crowd of 3,500 might be more the case.

This should be a great game for the floating fan / nuetral to attend, and should really attract 5k, as they are in a nice position of 2-2 on away goals, but they won’t care, expectation will be they will go through, but if they slip up, just wait for the abuse from all over. These are the worst types, the online crew, a lot with their english club crests as profile, and waiting to slag off any LOI team the minute they slip up.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I would also be surprised if Rovers got over 4k on Thursday, the away support won’t be too high, would 200 travel? I think a crowd of 3,500 might be more the case.

This should be a great game for the floating fan / nuetral to attend, and should really attract 5k, as they are in a nice position of 2-2 on away goals, but they won’t care, expectation will be they will go through, but if they slip up, just wait for the abuse from all over. These are the worst types, the online crew, a lot with their english club crests as profile, and waiting to slag off any LOI team the minute they slip up.
    I'm not sure that I fit either the floating fan or neutral categories, but I will go along to Tallaght on Thursday. For my part, I will be equally content to praise them or slag them as their performance merits, although I hope and expect that they will progress.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    i agree 100% with you i think Dublin is different though because most Dublin people could'nt give a toss about Rovers , Bohs , Shels. Pats so success or otherwise doesnt drive the crowds as much in Dublin, we are averageing the same crowds now within a couple of 100's as when we were winnng the leagues and playing in group stages in 2010/2011.
    Its a pity but watch the attendance in Tallaght on Thursday, i reckon no more than 4000 max although i might be surprised.
    That's the problem with big cities in which there are multiple teams with no strong identities to any particular part of it. None of the big Dublin teams even a name which connects them to a particular area.

The upside is that if any of the Dublin clubs do manage to tap into their local area, the potential is massive. So it's up to them then to rise to that challenge. Bohs have made a good start on this over the last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    I’d expect 5k plus in Tallaght on Thursday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Maybe we could get the Boss to give a bonus points in the predictions league to the nearest to the right crowd figure for Thursday

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    That's the problem with big cities in which there are multiple teams with no strong identities to any particular part of it. None of the big Dublin teams even a name which connects them to a particular area.

The upside is that if any of the Dublin clubs do manage to tap into their local area, the potential is massive. So it's up to them then to rise to that challenge. Bohs have made a good start on this over the last few years.
    Well Rovers and Shels do, just not the areas they're currently in, and in rovers case a fairly small area to say the least

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    The short term memory of LOI never ceases to amaze. only last season John Caulfield was slagging off Dublin clubs about Corks crowds and Dundalk fans apparently cant remember the times, not so long ago, that one man and his dog wandering in to Oriel near doubled the crowd !

All clubs have a hard core and then a flexible element depending on how well they are doing, without doubt Cork have the biggest 'flexible' support which results in increases/decreases way in excess of other LOI clubs.
    You should add selective memory also. While attendances can rarely to be considered 'good' that one season at Dundalk was frought with issues with the owners on top of the team's performances. It was somewhat of an anomaly if other yearly averages of the same period are considered. General meetings with fans where the then Owner was calling out people who posted criticism on OW. He continuously threatened to demolish the YDC and sell it for scrap. While some might say it wouldnt have been a bad thing, as the club owned the buildings on Oriel but not the land to do whatever with he said he would demolish them too and said he would withold the lease if any new Dundalk owners wanted to play there. He refused to engage with potenrial buyers saying he would rather fold the club. There are a good few more stories from that time where fans were not paying in to Oriel to have that money moved to another struggling company or create cash flow for same, or pay unfair dismissal that was really a private issue.

Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast