Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    1215 in Finn Park,felt less tbh and very disappointing really.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    1215 in Finn Park,felt less tbh and very disappointing really.
    Half the crowd of the previous week v a club that see themselves as a glamour outfit. It is tempting to call ye the most fickle support in the league but I would guess that the mean travel distance for the average Harps fan might be double that of any of the Leinster clubs. It would take half a dozen seasons of relative success to bed down a core of 1300/1500 per week for the next half dozen given the commitment required from yeer support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    In fairness, the weather was brutal all week in Donegal. Many didn't see the game going ahead at all tonight. Flooding all across the county. I'm surprised we broke 1,000 at all.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Half the crowd of the previous week v a club that see themselves as a glamour outfit. It is tempting to call ye the most fickle support in the league but I would guess that the mean travel distance for the average Harps fan might be double that of any of the Leinster clubs. It would take half a dozen seasons of relative success to bed down a core of 1300/1500 per week for the next half dozen given the commitment required from yeer support.
    There's plenty of reasons you could give for a drop off I suppose,the weather being paticularly brutal,Cork bringing bar UCD and probably Waterford the least away fans of the season,the fact it's the third Friday in a row that we've a home game and maybe the casual fan won't fork out 3 weeks in a row the worry of course is that if the results continue as they are it could fall even further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    There's plenty of reasons you could give for a drop off I suppose,the weather being paticularly brutal,Cork bringing bar UCD and probably Waterford the least away fans of the season,the fact it's the third Friday in a row that we've a home game and maybe the casual fan won't fork out 3 weeks in a row the worry of course is that if the results continue as they are it could fall even further.
    It isn't only travel distances ye have been against ye there's a big differ from rolling out on the Luas or cruising down the motorway to a game than going clutch gear clutch, turn turn, turn, mirror to milimetre mirror with the oncoming for 20k in the driving sleet/snow/rain before u you hit the good road, a road the a of the country would call a dirt track. The asks are a lot different and when you think that larger urban centres like Ennis, Tralee, Carlow etc could not imagine putting a team in our league then the Harps support is pretty good.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    It isn't only travel distances ye have been against ye there's a big differ from rolling out on the Luas or cruising down the motorway to a game than going clutch gear clutch, turn turn, turn, mirror to milimetre mirror with the oncoming for 20k in the driving sleet/snow/rain before u you hit the good road, a road the a of the country would call a dirt track. The asks are a lot different and when you think that larger urban centres like Ennis, Tralee, Carlow etc could not imagine putting a team in our league then the Harps support is pretty good.
    Tralee and Carlow did try to plot a course through the A Championship. I travelled from the environs of Ennis to the Markets Field last night. People will travel when they want to.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    2,103 at the Showgrounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Tralee and Carlow did try to plot a course through the A Championship. I travelled from the environs of Ennis to the Markets Field last night. People will travel when they want to.
    Ennis to Limerick is Motorway, Donegal roads with black ice on them are a different prospect on a winter's night.

Decent crowd in the Showgs, nearly 20 from UCD which is a 600% increase on their normal average.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    That is an impressive attendance in Sligo last night given and the oppo, no disrespect and all that and the weather, roughly 13 k at games so this series of matches.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    The game had been in doubt earlier in the day and with another downpour an hour before kick off combined with a couple of poor displays and our poor facilities it was always going to hit the crowd badly.

They missed a cracker all the same.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    4,389 in Inchicore.
    Theres a prize for bringing the most fans you know

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Wow. Didn't think Inchicore held remotely close to that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Great crowds. The loi is cool you know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I’ve said to friends that I’d love to see the league getting 20k through the door per match series. Rovers have the biggest scope for improvement in numbers, and I think it’s a matter of time.

It’s a real pity that we simply don’t get enough buy-in from the govt for support for the infrastructure around the league such as sufficient public transport targeted towards match day league of Ireland supporters. I think if we were regularly pulling in 20k a week, it’s a good sign.

I know the Friday night time slot suits a lot of clubs for home games, but I can’t help feeling it’s a limiter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Wow. Didn't think Inchicore held remotely close to that
    Officially a sell out. We had more for the Newcastle friendly last year it was much closer to 5,000 but no need for segregation or an away allocation for that game.

3 Home games so far this season and our average attendance has been 3200, obviously that will drop but a great start.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Officially a sell out. We had more for the Newcastle friendly last year it was much closer to 5,000 but no need for segregation or an away allocation for that game.

3 Home games so far this season and our average attendance has been 3200, obviously that will drop but a great start.
    Great to see crowds across the league up. Early days but there certainly seems to be a lot more interest in LOI this season (not sure why TBH), amazed the number of people who previously were disinterested who have commented on LOI in recent weeks.It definitely is more 'cool' for some reason.

Still a lot of work to be done, but great start to the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Pats Rovers last season after 5 or 6 games would have attracted far less as both sets of supporters wouldn't have had the same optimism about the league even at that early stage, both had potential ro go top of the league with a win.
    Bohs v Derry would have been hugely lower as well, Bohs went in to the match top of the league.

A side benefit of the "potential" of the top two not being the same again is bringing more people out and the early season optimism is lasting longer.
    Cork crowds are down which is hurting a bit.
    If Rovers and or Pats/Bohs can keep winning a few matches the Dublin derbys will attract decent crowds.

Lots of reasons to be optimistic in general , hopefully those nice people in Dundalk will wait a few more matches before turning on the afterburners.
    That Derry v Dundalk game next week has a big feel about it, if Derry can get a result other teams will take heart , if Dundalk steamroller them a la Waterford it will start to look ominous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Great to see crowds across the league up. Early days but there certainly seems to be a lot more interest in LOI this season (not sure why TBH), amazed the number of people who previously were disinterested who have commented on LOI in recent weeks.It definitely is more 'cool' for some reason.

Still a lot of work to be done, but great start to the season.
    It is obviously all to do with the profile Dundalk has brought to the league and the media waxing lyrical about the way we play - sure even Dunphy gave us a shout out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I can only speak for myself. On here I've always been an Ireland poster, but I've always been interested in the League of Ireland. Our school had a huge St Pats following. However in the last year, maybe two years, I would say that my priority is checking the League section first, followed by the Ireland section.

I would never have felt suitably qualified to talk about the ins and outs of domestic football before, and still don't now.

I don't think so much that it's cool to support the league suddenly, I think the underage structures are bringing the domestic league a lot more into focus, and the Dublin clubs are definitely stepping up their efforts at attracting fans.

Personally I just want football on this island to be the best it can be, from crowds, the facilities, standard of football. That will all impact on the senior team.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It is obviously all to do with the profile Dundalk has brought to the league and the media waxing lyrical about the way we play - sure even Dunphy gave us a shout out!
    We all know the fact is the LOI needs a successful Rovers to thrive.... common factor over first 5 series of games is that Rovers were involved in the match that had the highest attendance and we’re top of the league QED

Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast