Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Whether its this season or the league in recent years in general its a back handed positive to call an attendance of 1500 poor especially with the eh mitigating factors given. There is merit though in considering it a poor attendance if clubs are trying to build attendances, certainly in the context of attendances so far this season. If some fans are satisfied with those numbers so be it. I dont see league attendances as a competition, a source of pride yes but it in the general interest of the league as a whole for crowds to be as high as possible. I think the smallest crowd in Oriel 2018 was a Tuesday night in February against Limerick at around 1800 and I wouldnt consider Dundalk crowds as exceptional in context of the league, whatever about relative to size of the population of Dundalk and enviorns. Poor or not its not as if a crowd of 1500 or so isnt possible for a league game at some point in Oriel, even Turners Cross.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 05/03/2019 at 7:08 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    100% wasnt. If we got that crowd Id say it was poor.

Its poor! Rovers should easilt be getting 2,000plus even if it is a Monday V Harps
    Twas crap all right but said earlier wet Monday night against a team not known for their drawing power, i would be delighted if we pull in 3k at each of our next home fixtures V sligs and students

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Whether its this season or the league in recent years in general its a back handed positive to call an attendance of 1500 poor especially with the eh mitigating factors given. There is merit though in considering it a poor attendance if clubs are trying to build attendances, certainly in the context of attendances so far this season. If some fans are satisfied with those numbers so be it. I dont see league attendances as a competition, a source of pride yes but it in the general interest of the league as a whole for crowds to be as high as possible. I think the smallest crowd in Oriel 2018 was a Tuesday night in February against Limerick at around 1800 and I wouldnt consider Dundalk crowds as exceptional in context of the league, whatever about relative to size of the population of Dundalk and enviorns. Poor or not its not as if a crowd of 1500 or so isnt possible for a league game at some point in Oriel, even Turners Cross.
    I think most on here will agree that these Monday night games are killers for most clubs. The sooner they are done away with the better.
    All clubs will suffer trying to get decent numbers for these games except where there is a historic rivalry between the two clubs involved & even then numbers are reduced for various reasons.
    These reasons might include weather, another home game a few days previously, school nights etc.
    The difference in attendances at these games are often the difference between the hardcore & what we call the floating supporter who will attend only when there's an attraction or the match night suits them.

If we must have these games then make them games which are an attraction.
    Local rivalries Rovers vs Bohs, Cork City vs Waterford, Sligo vs Derry & such. I know the Rovers vs Harps game was brought forward because of ground availability but did it really have to be a Monday night ?
    A little bit of thought put into the compiling of the fixtures would help here but its not surprising when you look at those who are in charge of our league

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    What other top league in world football would switch around games played by the top league in that country to accommodate U17 football? It wouldn't happen anywhere,but the attitude is sure it's only League of Ireland,it's only Harps who cares........

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post

Local rivalries Rovers vs Bohs, Cork City vs Waterford, Sligo vs Derry & such.
    I think the complete opposite to this, I would be more annoyed if Pats played Rovers, Bohs or Dundalk at home on a Monday, these are our biggest games of the season crowd wise so I would want them on a Friday where we can maximise the numbers. If there has to be games on a Monday Harps/UCD is the ideal as the hardcore are only going to go to these games on a Friday anyway and will still likely go on a Monday.
    Here on a technicality.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Think that's a very valid point partysaint.

Should be good crowd on Friday I'd say.
    Is Miele doing anything for you so far this season? He's an awful lazy bolli* when he wants to be.
    Drennan could be the signing of the season if things continue as they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    I think most on here will agree that these Monday night games are killers for most clubs. The sooner they are done away with the better.
    All clubs will suffer trying to get decent numbers for these games except where there is a historic rivalry between the two clubs involved & even then numbers are reduced for various reasons.
    These reasons might include weather, another home game a few days previously, school nights etc.
    The difference in attendances at these games are often the difference between the hardcore & what we call the floating supporter who will attend only when there's an attraction or the match night suits them.

Local rivalries Rovers vs Bohs, Cork City vs Waterford, Sligo vs Derry & such. I know the Rovers vs Harps game was brought forward because of ground availability but did it really have to be a Monday night ?
    A little bit of thought put into the compiling of the fixtures would help here but its not surprising when you look at those who are in charge of our league
    firstly, I don't believe there should be a need for Monday night League games. harps were treated very badly by the League in this fiasco but most clubs have had similar experiences in recent years. I would agree that higher profile matches (especially Dublin derbies) are less prone to suffer crowd wise by being scheduled on a Monday night (recent Bohs/Rovers game for example) and should also minimize the travel for players and fans.
    Nevertheless I remain unconvinced there is a need to ever schedule a League game on a Monday night (unless previously postponed) and am surprised the clubs didn't have this resolved before the fixtures were issued.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    firstly, I don't believe there should be a need for Monday night League games. harps were treated very badly by the League in this fiasco but most clubs have had similar experiences in recent years. I would agree that higher profile matches (especially Dublin derbies) are less prone to suffer crowd wise by being scheduled on a Monday night (recent Bohs/Rovers game for example) and should also minimize the travel for players and fans.
    Nevertheless I remain unconvinced there is a need to ever schedule a League game on a Monday night (unless previously postponed) and am surprised the clubs didn't have this resolved before the fixtures were issued.
    Not being facetious marinobohs, are you proposing adding 5 weeks to the season to avoid the need for Monday night games, reducing the number of games or another solution?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post

Is Miele doing anything for you so far this season? He's an awful lazy bolli* when he wants to be.
    He picked up a minor knee injury in the last week or so of pre season so only started his first (league) game on Friday in UCD after a few minutes here and there off the bench in the previous games. Hard to really judge him because the whole team has been very stodgy so far performance-wise. Had a couple of great touches - one in particular where off a throw in he skinned Tobin by back-heeling it over his head - but there was little in the way of end product as there has tended to be from us as a whole so far. We've been very reliant on Drennan nicking us a goal out of nothing but hopefully come Friday we'll have started to click as a team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I think the complete opposite to this, I would be more annoyed if Pats played Rovers, Bohs or Dundalk at home on a Monday, these are our biggest games of the season crowd wise so I would want them on a Friday where we can maximise the numbers. If there has to be games on a Monday Harps/UCD is the ideal as the hardcore are only going to go to these games on a Friday anyway and will still likely go on a Monday.
    Fully agree with you here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts

If Pat's season pans out as a good few people, including myself, predicted preseason it will be down to Drennan pushing on the 20 goal+ tally. Sligo Rovers will wonder how the contract extension didnt happen, Shamrock Rovers will wonder how they missed out on him being available (unless there is baggage from his last spell in Tallaght) and even Cork will be thinking that he was worth at minimum an attempt to sign - with Sligo as Cork's development club if they had made sure that they activated his contract extension then a swap deal for Cummins could have been orchestrated!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance kid View Post
    Poor old Dundalk, the most successful period in their history, and all they have to talk about is Rovers manager, Rovers attendances, Rovers possible investment by Desmond, Rovers, Rovers, Rovers. Must be horrible to have such small man syndrome, but on the bright side, when you have six fingers on each hand you can probably clap louder than everyone else.
    These Johnny come lately Dundalk fans do seem to have an obsession with Shamrock Rovers. They seemed way sounder when they were getting a couple of hundred to games and threatening to set themselves on fire over DVDs.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    What other top league in world football would switch around games played by the top league in that country to accommodate U17 football? It wouldn't happen anywhere,but the attitude is sure it's only League of Ireland,it's only Harps who cares........
    Are you suggesting that the SDCC would have told UEFA to feck off with their money if Rovers had been down to play someone else?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

It's meant to be raining on Friday so hopefully that doesn't keep too many away but ticket sales going well so far by all accounts so should be 4000 minimum.

Miele got injured during pre season so didn't play much so he is still trying to get his fitness up, he has shown some nice touches but still a good bit off the pace.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Not being facetious marinobohs, are you proposing adding 5 weeks to the season to avoid the need for Monday night games, reducing the number of games or another solution?
    I propose playing all FAI Cup games on a week night until the semis, all league games to be played on the scheduled weekend irrespective of European commitments the same as other Euro countries and adding to the season as required. No club should be expected not to have a home league game for nigh on 3 months as we did last year.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    extend the season or reduce the number of games if necessary (although most clubs have spare Fridays later in the season). Monday night fixtures add nothing to the league and in my opinion bring it to near disrepute. expecting fans and (sometimes part time) players and officials to travel large distances on a work day is, at the very least, unhelpful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    These Johnny come lately Dundalk fans do seem to have an obsession with Shamrock Rovers. They seemed way sounder when they were getting a couple of hundred to games and threatening to set themselves on fire over DVDs.
    Whereas Cork City fans haven't changed, constantly moaning and totally fickle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    I propose playing all FAI Cup games on a week night until the semis, all league games to be played on the scheduled weekend irrespective of European commitments the same as other Euro countries and adding to the season as required. No club should be expected not to have a home league game for nigh on 3 months as we did last year.
    What happened to Sligo (and to a lesser extent other clubs) was outrageous and shouldn't be allowed to happen. I'm warmly in favour of helping our teams in Europe, but not at the expense of everyone else. Bohs were badly messed around to facilitate Dundalk in 2016 too. I like the idea of prioritising league games on weekends over FAI Cup games. Obviously you'd have the same issue with travel etc in the cup you would in the league, but having the cup midweek would at least allow everyone to have a guaranteed home league game every 2 (or 3) weeks.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Cork fans were far sounder when they were one of their 20 previous clubs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Are you suggesting that the SDCC would have told UEFA to feck off with their money if Rovers had been down to play someone else?!
    No! I'm suggesting that senior football should not be messed around to accommodate U17s, however they wanted to work it,it could have been handled better.......

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast